× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 33 visibility 4294

Would you be offended?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Would you be offended?

Report bad ads?

Well basically I caught a taxi home and I saw that the taxi driver was Asian so me being crafty asked him if he was Sikh/Hindu, wanting to know if he was muslim or not Perhaps it's the drink I dunno but I don't think the question was bad...?
    Well basically I think he took offence, told me he was muslim and started asking if I had coloured friends I mean, what's it to him?

Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it? :X

If this doesn't make sense I'll correct it tomorrow
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Panther's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Would you be offended?

Perhaps he perceived your question as an attempt to judge him.
    chat Quote

'Abd al-Baari's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    al-Taalib
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi

That could be true^ but in answer to your question England no i wouldn't be offended..i'd just tell the person i was a muslim..on the other hand if their made negative comments regarding my religion/race then i would be offended

From your post it dosen't seem that you did this..so don't worry bout it

Allah knows best
    Would you be offended?

chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by England View Post
    Well basically I caught a taxi home and I saw that the taxi driver was Asian so me being crafty asked him if he was Sikh/Hindu, wanting to know if he was muslim or not Perhaps it's the drink I dunno but I don't think the question was bad...?
    Well basically I think he took offence, told me he was muslim and started asking if I had coloured friends I mean, what's it to him?

Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it? :X

If this doesn't make sense I'll correct it tomorrow
    I would say he probably had a bad day.

Another possibility is he may be fairly new in the Country and not that fluent in English and percieved your question as interregation, rather than curiosity.

On a personal note I would not have been offended and would have used that as an opportunity for you to ask me about Islam. I would have have answered something like "Yes, I am. Do you know much about us?"
    Last edited by Woodrow; 06-02-2007 at 12:46 AM.
    Would you be offended?

Herman 1 - Would you be offended?

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

we are so polarized because of what is happening in the world, i think some people take offense at things that wouldn't ordinarily be offensive.
    sad world.
    Would you be offended?

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Would you be offended?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    I would say he probably had a bad day.

Another possibility is he may be fairly new in the Country and not that fluent in English and percieved your question as interregation, rather than curiosity.

Or may be the questioner had mischief making in mind and asked the question in a loaded manner to illicit the response that he got (he does same kind of things here on this very forum)

A genuine enquirer might have put it differently for example: May I ask what your religion is?

or even "wuts ur religin then me old mucker" or however one says it skinhead lingo

chat Quote

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Would you be offended if someone had asked what religion you follow? Anything wrong with it?
    No, but I wouldn't expect someone to in that sort of context. I can see why the cab driver would have been wary, and he is likely to have perceived your query as having more to do with prejudice than curiosity - wrongly, obviously.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would have have answered something like "Yes, I am. Do you know much about us?"
    How could he have said "yes I am" when this person's question was are you a sikh or hindu?

on top of that hinus dont wear beards in uk and mulims dont wear sikhlike turbans there, its ether kufi or bare-headed
    chat Quote

noodles's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Seriosly, the very fact that you asked if he was Sikh meant that you made a wrong assumption. If he was to wear a turban then I'd assume he was Sikh, but without any strong evidence I wouldn't ask if he was a Sikh.

As for me, I'd be irritated if someone was to come to me, and ask me if I was Hindu. Firstly, I'd be wondering, how exactly does one assume one is of anything without any evidence. And secondly, if I was to ask, I'd put it so it seems I'm not making any assumptions.

Its not always easy to know what the intentions of the other person are.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well, there is a stereotype out there that most cab drivers are either Sikh, Hindu, or Muslim. It would probably make somebody a little defensive, especially if he has been hassled or offended in some way before by these sorts of questions.
    Would you be offended?

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55 View Post
    How could he have said "yes I am" when this person's question was are you a sikh or hindu?

on top of that hinus dont wear beards in uk and mulims dont wear sikhlike turbans there, its ether kufi or bare-headed
    OOOps, Poor grammar and incomplete on my part. I should have written:

"No, I am Muslim. Do you know much about us."

The pleasure of trying to post and watch grandkids at the same time.
    Would you be offended?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

OOOps, Poor grammar and incomplete on my part. I should have written:

"No, I am Muslim. Do you know much about us."

The pleasure of trying to post and watch grandkids at the same time.

JazakAllah khairan Brother, don't mind me for today I'm not quite "with it"

chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It is divided up as such:
    12% it is what you say
    34% the tone of Voice
    54% your body language
    Here is how everyone subconsciously assesses the situation. That is why there is a great deal of discord and hatred on the Internet, because you just read words and you are missing the other human factors that come to play. If you honestly felt the other two big players of the formula were non-deserving of a gore like reaction, then perhaps the trouble is with the driver? Maybe he was having a bad day and misconstrued your intent in his own mind!

peace!
    Would you be offended?

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Would you be offended?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post
    It is divided up as such:
    12% it is what you say
    34% the tone of Voice
    54% your body language
    Here is how everyone subconsciously assesses the situation. That is why there is a great deal of discord and hatred on the Internet, because you just read words and you are missing the other human factors that come to play. If you honestly felt the other two big players of the formula were non-deserving of a gore like reaction, then perhaps the trouble is with the driver? Maybe he was having a bad day and misconstrued your intent in his own mind!

peace!
    Very true. Although different researchers will differ with your exact percentages there are will within the average range of what most would say. Back when I taught a class on the "Theories of Communication" I would have placed the figures as 8%, 34%, 58%

We never know how a person hears us until we get feed back from the person.
    Would you be offended?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Very true. Although different researchers will differ with your exact percentages there are will within the average range of what most would say. Back when I taught a class on the "Theories of Communication" I would have placed the figures as 8%, 34%, 58%

We never know how a person hears us until we get feed back from the person.
    lol akhi my percentages aren't exact... my mind isn't as sharp as when I first learned of this which was some ten yrs ago.. so yours I am quite sure are most accurate. I always in fact try to work on my facial expressions to be utterly neutral no matter what I hear, especially in my career path. A person can't survive being abrasive and volatile, even though some people just really beg for a good whack-- It is best to control self if one can't control the situation... of course on the forum I am free to be as abrasive as I want lol kiddddddding-- no I am not :X
    Would you be offended?

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Would you be offended?

chat Quote

noodles's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

You know, there is also another problem.

I don't know about you, but every race has certain knowledge about their type of people (no I'm not trying to be racist).

For example, me being brown, I can differentiate very easily between who is from where (ie. Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc etc.) where as I have a very hard time differentiating if a person who is White is from England, French, German etc. Similarily, I also have a trouble sorting the African-American from the Africans etc.

I've noticed this trait in many people. The similar concept occurs in religion too. You may not know, but me and others alike, find it hard to understand how anyone can see us as anything but muslims. Likewise, for many European/American Christians, if you consider asking someone whether they were Muslim or Jew or any other, they'd look at you funny and ask does it look like they are.

Tell me if I'm making sense.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh my God I can't believe I made this thread. I felt bad for asking but now I don't give a crap, miserable old fart How can you possibly be offended by being asked what religion you follow? He seemed a nice guy that's why I was curious. He was talking about the England game and that we should have won so I started thinking to myself "is he muslim?"

Now if he took offence to that then...lol....pfffffffft

If someone said to me "are you French/American/Dutch/Swedish" or whatever I'd smile and tell him with pride "I'm English"
    chat Quote

Tania's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

with pride "I'm English"
    English men are not always well perceived. They are too with nose up
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    English men are not always well perceived. They are too with nose up
    Huh? You mean arrogant lol? Don't mix arrogance with pride Even if nobody does like us, I'd do the exact same thing, I'd respond with pride Although we English are liked abroad. I've been abroad to many places and the respect you get for being English is great, more so in Alanya, Turkey

But that's besides the point. He should have stuck his nose up and said "I'm muslim" with pride not get all whiney about it, miserable git :X
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    'Abd al-Baari's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    al-Taalib
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But that's besides the point. He should have stuck his nose up and said "I'm muslim" with pride not get all whiney about it,
    Agreed
    Would you be offended?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Would you be offended? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Would you be offended?