Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Shiisha smoking!!!!

Report bad ads?

Shisha smoking- a major health risk

Khaleej Times
    By Nada S. Mussallam
    4 June 2006

ABU DHABI — Numerous cafes and restaurants serving shisha (hubble-bubble) have become a disturbing feature of most residential areas across the emirates and pose a menace due to noise and air pollution.

The increasing trend is also blamed for multiplying the parking woes of the already suffering residents.

What is really serious about the phenomenon is that most shisha smokers wrongfully take to the hubble-bubble thinking that it poses only 'light' health risks compared to the serious health related complications of cigarette smoking.

Medical experts have warned that shisha has a more perilous impact on health compared to cigarette smoking. They say most shisha smokers have a misconception based on a wrongful and unscientific notion that tobacco used in shisha is herbal and does not affect body organs.

Residents of buildings with coffee shops and snack counters that serve shisha expressed their resentment over the outlets for the multiple problems they cause them. They called upon the authorities concerned to adopt certain measures to control spread of shisha outlets in the country.

It is to be noted that in their efforts to combat smoking, the health ministers of the GCC states have proposed a hike in the fees of commercial licence issued for cafes and restaurants serving shisha in the member countries. Despite several steps taken by the country to control the spread of tobacco, the UAE is considered among the world's leading consumers of tobacco.

Medical experts have also cautioned that one of the hazards of smoking shisha is lung cancer.

"Most people misleadingly believe shisha does not contain tobacco and that when they smoke they inhale herbal products. It is the added flavours that make them feel they are smoking herbs, while they are actually taking in tobacco and are highly likely to become addicted to nicotine. Shisha smokers should realise that it is far more dangerous than cigarette smoking because the amount of nicotine in shisha can not be measured due to packing differences," a doctor in the government sector warned.

Moreover, while smoking hubble-bubble the aluminium foil, which is usually of poor quality, reacts with the burning charcoal and produces aluminium fumes that are carcinogenic or in other words causes cancer, he said.

He clarified that the amount of carbon dioxide inhaled through shisha is very high compared to cigarette smoking, adding that one shisha smoke is equal to seven or 10 cigarettes depending on the packed ingredients.

He stressed shisha smokers should also be aware of the fact that when smoke goes through water humidity in smoke increases and it then tends to stay for a longer time in the lungs. Some germs, mainly bacteria that cause tuberculosis, live in the shisha pipe.

"According to recent studies the pipe could act as a good medium for conveying bacteria causing infectious diseases like Hepatitis A that can be easily transmitted when shisha pipe is used by multiple smokers," apprised the medical expert.

Maria Antonia, a resident, said: "it is a bad influence for young kids as they too feel like smoking cigarettes and having shisha."

Imli Jungla, another resident, wondered whether something can be done to curb the trend, which she finds sickening. "I find the smell sickening, can't they stop the roadside hubble-bubble culture?" she asked.

Aseel Maad (name changed) said: "Serving shisha in the residential areas has become very annoying to most people in the emirates. I personally believe authorities concerned should intervene to regulate the spread of shisha outlets, especially in residential areas. Besides health risks of hubble-bubble, it distracts youth from becoming creative and utilising their leisure time for doing something useful."

Duriya Ahmed, a 54-year-old housewife, said: "I believe shisha cafes and restaurants distort the beautiful look of cities. They also allure young people to taste the much promoted type of smoking (shisha), which I fear might soon become a habit of elegant and educated young people. I believe authorities concerned should be alert to control prevalence of this harmful phenomenon."

Direct link:

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2006/June/theuae_June124.xml&section=theuae
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

The example of those who take allies other than Allah is like that of the spider who takes a home. And indeed, the weakest of homes is the home of the spider, if they only knew.

wwwislamicboardcom - Shiisha smoking!!!!
    Qur'an 29:41
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Shiisha smoking!!!!

my colleague says theres places that dont put tobacco in the sheesha, hmm aint like it matters though, sheeshas boring eitha way

Shiisha smoking!!!!

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

Naheezah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

jazaakhaAllah khair 4 sharing ukhteey! got 2 tell me cuz abt dat he's a shisha addict
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

~~NaHeEzah~~
    Check out my blog!
    http://jewelofcreation.hadithuna.com

chat Quote

mohammed farah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

thanks for that i had no idea.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    AQSA's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Your all welcome,

I felt like i had to share this as i always used to hear how shiisha is minor and has little or no health effects... turns out thats not tue. Anyways i fail to see whats so appealing about it.
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

The example of those who take allies other than Allah is like that of the spider who takes a home. And indeed, the weakest of homes is the home of the spider, if they only knew.

chat Quote

SUMMAYAH's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I've always wanted to try it........i'll be thinking twice now......
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^I did!

I never heard about tobaccoless sheesha before. But the one we had contained tobacco. Me and my broz used to pass it around like red indian peace pipes lol. We stopped when we discovered it's haraam.
    chat Quote

Al_Imaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sheesha's haram?....there's like a sheesha bar about every few miles in Virginia, USA.....my cuzins go there all the time w/ their friendz...
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well yes, cuz tobacco is harmful.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Al_Imaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim View Post
    my colleague says theres places that dont put tobacco in the sheesha
    this is something that i've heard b4.....

Muslimah_Sis
    I never heard about tobaccoless sheesha before.
    this is wat i thought....
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I thought the one we had was just fruit too. Until I saw tobacco written on the packs. It isn't just the tobacco sis, the fumes from the coal is bad for you too. Especially if it's barbecue coal that's been doused with lighter fuel. And it stinks!
    chat Quote

Sabbir_1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

dont know why people smoke that crap for, you wana smoke, smoke a fag or something...shiisha .. its nasty, smells horrible too, what makes me sick is when they share it.. with other people ones guys mouth been in the shisha and then another persons puts his mouth in it too.. they dont know nothing about germs...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27 View Post
    dont know why people smoke that crap for, you wana smoke, smoke a fag or something
    Are you promoting ciggarettes?lol
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

chat Quote

FBI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'd rather just spend my money one Lolly-pops.
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Sabbir_1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Are you promoting ciggarettes?lol
    yes ,

no im not just saying if they need to smoke better off smoking a fag, than a shisha..

most people do it because there friends do it, or they see there parents smoking.. i know loads of people that smoke either because there friends smoked or because of there parents...no offense to the arabs but it is mostly the arab coffee shops where people smoke shisha.. i aint seen a pakistani shop.. i only sa aran and somali shop where they smoke it..its smoked less in the pakistani comuunity..
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by FBI View Post

I'd rather just spend my money one Lolly-pops.

tabacco flavoured?
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

chat Quote

Kittygyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by SUMMAYAH View Post
    tabacco flavoured?
    salamualikum.
    well there's flavour in Shisha.
    Ma'assalama
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27 View Post
    yes ,

no im not just saying if they need to smoke better off smoking a fag, than a shisha..

most people do it because there friends do it, or they see there parents smoking.. i know loads of people that smoke either because there friends smoked or because of there parents...no offense to the arabs but it is mostly the arab coffee shops where people smoke shisha.. i aint seen a pakistani shop.. i only sa aran and somali shop where they smoke it..its smoked less in the pakistani comuunity..

Among the elder generations it was indeed mainly an arabian custom... but nowerdays its a trend thats not only exclusive to arabs anymore. Globalisations has played its toll... and its very common for youngsters & some middle-agers from all ethnic backgrounds to go for a night out for 'shiisha'. Its also very commen for them to fool themselves by thinking its very harmless and a bit of light 'fun'--- which obviosuly according to health officials isnt.
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

chat Quote

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^They're telling this now?? I found this out like years ago...
    A lil bit slow :X
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^mashallah you must be one of the lucky ones in that case!

But there are many who still have no idea... and it took around only recently for researchers to find out the long term and moderate effects of it
    Shiisha smoking!!!!

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Shiisha smoking!!!! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Shiisha smoking!!!!