× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 59 visibility 6046

Survey in run-up to 7/7

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Survey in run-up to 7/7

Report bad ads?

A "significant minority" of Muslims in Britain believe the July 7 suicide bombers are martyrs, a survey has found.

The poll for ITV News and The Times, carried out in the run-up to the 7/7 anniversary, indicates that the Muslim community in the UK appears to be sharply-divided over terrorism and security.

Of the 1,131 Muslims surveyed, 56 per cent said the Government is not doing enough to fight extremism - more than the 49 per cent for the population as a whole.

But, a significant minority, 13 per cent, believe the 7/7 bombers should be regarded as "martyrs". And 7 per cent felt suicide attacks on UK civilians could be justified in some circumstances. This rose to 16 per cent for a military target.

Of those polled, 16 per cent said the attacks by four suicide bombers on the London Underground and a double-decker bus were wrong but the cause was right.

And a similar number said they would be "indifferent" if a family member joined al-Qaeda while 2 per cent said they would actually be proud.

But half of those polled thought intelligence services have the right to infiltrate Muslim organisations to gather information about their activities. Two-in-three - 65 per cent - said their community needed to integrate better into British society.

Meanwhile, more than a third, 35 per cent, said that they would feel proud if a close family member joined the police force.
    (From http://uk.news.yahoo.com/04072006/35...-martyrs.html)
    I quite liked this article, because it seemed well balanced in how it asked and presented the poll results. (With exception of the somewhat weighted and misleading headline )

Do these results surprise you? If so, which ones?

peace.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Survey in run-up to 7/7

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    muslim_friend's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    In the Heart of a Green Bird, insha'Allah.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Survey in run-up to 7/7

Thanks.I wanted to know about this..

16 per cent said the attacks by four suicide bombers on the London Underground and a double-decker bus were wrong but the cause was right.
    I didn't quite get that.. can you explain?

But half of those polled thought intelligence services have the right to infiltrate Muslim organisations to gather information about their activities.
    I doubt if that was the truth. Why would the muslims there want to get harassed?

Two-in-three - 65 per cent - said their community needed to integrate better into British society.
    i feel muslims are losing their pride..
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

:coolbro:

wwwislamicboardcom - Survey in run-up to 7/7
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by muslim_friend View Post
    Quote:
    16 per cent said the attacks by four suicide bombers on the London Underground and a double-decker bus were wrong but the cause was right.
    I didn't quite get that.. can you explain?
    No, I'm not sure what is meant by that, either. I'm not sure I know what the suicide bombers decalred the cause for their action to be ... was it the UK's involvement in the Iraq war?

Quote:
    But half of those polled thought intelligence services have the right to infiltrate Muslim organisations to gather information about their activities.

I doubt if that was the truth. Why would the muslims there want to get harassed?
    I don't know.

Quote:
    Two-in-three - 65 per cent - said their community needed to integrate better into British society.

i feel muslims are losing their pride..
    Why? I guess it depends on what you mean by 'integrating into the community'.
    I would interpret it as mixing and interacting with other members of the wider community, taking part in community activities (as long as they are halaal), etc.
    I think you can do these things without loosing your own identity or indeed loosing your moral and religious values ...

peace.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Sis786's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

Meanwhile, more than a third, 35 per cent, said that they would feel proud if a close family member joined the police force.

Do these results surprise you? If so, which ones?

peace.
    THIS ONE IS THE SHOCKER ffended:
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    HeiGou's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786 View Post
    THIS ONE IS THE SHOCKER ffended:
    I agree totally. Nearly two thirds of Muslim British people hate Britain so much? Wow.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connait pas. - Blaise Pascal
    chat Quote

Asyur an-Nagi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou View Post
    I agree totally. Nearly two thirds of Muslim British people hate Britain so much? Wow.
    any statistic about how many British non muslim hate Britain?
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

to you your religion and to me my religion
    may we all learn on our chosen paths, and in all things, blessed be

the patients sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because the dentists stand ready to do violence on their behalf
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi View Post
    any statistic about how many British non muslim hate Britain?
    Not that I know of. I think it would be good to collect some data and do a comparison.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dont believe that for a second! Muslims love it here we get all sorts of benefits and can blag our way through a application form for benefits and the council house ....oh yes we love our free houses!

NAH serious i think thats complete nonsense Muslims do love it here!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why? I guess it depends on what you mean by 'integrating into the community'.
    I would interpret it as mixing and interacting with other members of the wider community, taking part in community activities (as long as they are halaal), etc.
    I think you can do these things without loosing your own identity or indeed loosing your moral and religious values ...
    What i mean by 'integrating into the community' is adopting the trends and lifestyle of that particular community.. I think this is a good definition of that phrase.. the Netherlands wants it's muslims to 'integrate into its community', and the first thing they got done is introduce a new 'hip' and 'trendy' hijab.. whereas the very purpose of hijab is to protect the woman's chastity and not to draw attention.

It's very possible that by integrating into a non muslim society, a muslim community loses its muslim way of life.. I do not live in Britain, so i do not know how much possible it would be to practice Islam without having any social elements getting in the way. Sadly, in America, as far as i know, muslims are throwing away their Islamic identity in fear of being ridiculed. These muslims have more concern about what the society thinks about them, and ignore what Allah would think about them. It looks the same in Britain... Though I hope it isn't.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sis786 View Post
    NAH serious i think thats complete nonsense Muslims do love it here!
    And yet two thirds of them would not be proud if their children gave something back to the community by joining the police.

That is very sad.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What i mean by 'integrating into the community' is adopting the trends and lifestyle of that particular community.. I think this is a good definition of that phrase.. the Netherlands wants it's muslims to 'integrate into its community', and the first thing they got done is introduce a new 'hip' and 'trendy' hijab.. whereas the very purpose of hijab is to protect the woman's chastity and not to draw attention.

It's very possible that by integrating into a non muslim society, a muslim community loses its muslim way of life.. I do not live in Britain, so i do not know how much possible it would be to practice Islam without having any social elements getting in the way. Sadly, in America, as far as i know, muslims are throwing away their Islamic identity in fear of being ridiculed. These muslims have more concern about what the society thinks about them, and ignore what Allah would think about them. It looks the same in Britain... Though I hope it isn't.
    I know what you are saying and I understand your concern.

But our Western society gets criticised for 'not understanding the Islamic way' ... but how can we understand it, if it keeps itself so hidden from our sight??? We will not learn about the faith and way of life of our Muslim neighbours, unless they are prepared to come out of their houses, and share their lives with us! It is not enough to debate this in theory and to publish books and articles on this issue - it needs human contact between two groups of people.

I think greater efforts have to made to create greater understanding between the two cultures. It need both our cultures to be willing to try. And we should never give up trying!

Peace.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

iLL_LeaT's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I know what you are saying and I understand your concern.

But our Western society gets criticised for 'not understanding the Islamic way' ... but how can we understand it, if it keeps itself so hidden from our sight??? We will not learn about the faith and way of life of our Muslim neighbours, unless they are prepared to come out of their houses, and share their lives with us! It is not enough to debate this in theory and to publish books and articles on this issue - it needs human contact between two groups of people.

I think greater efforts have to made to create greater understanding between the two cultures. It need both our cultures to be willing to try. And we should never give up trying!

Peace.

Mandatory comparative religion classes in public schools would educate people. I got educated by a college comparative religion course. But, as of now, I don’t think such classes are even a possibility in public high schools here in the States.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But our Western society gets criticised for 'not understanding the Islamic way' ... but how can we understand it, if it keeps itself so hidden from our sight??? We will not learn about the faith and way of life of our Muslim neighbours, unless they are prepared to come out of their houses, and share their lives with us!
    I see, so this your idea of 'integrating into society'. ..Hmmmmmmm... well said, I suppose that would be the only way to integrate. I know your'e talking about 'human contact'.. But may i ask how exactly we can go about the integration process?.. ...

Peace.
    Nice post.. That was very encouraging.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

And yet two thirds of them would not be proud if their children gave something back to the community by joining the police.

That is very sad.
    You have to keep face!
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    j4763's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by iLL_LeaT View Post
    Mandatory comparative religion classes in public schools would educate people. I got educated by a college comparative religion course. But, as of now, I don’t think such classes are even a possibility in public high schools here in the States.
    Here in the UK we do have RE lessons (religious educations) in all schools between the ages 12-16 but many if not all Muslims are excused from these lessons by there parents.

Shame imo, its not like they have to practice what there learning.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without any proof

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But may i ask how exactly we can go about the integration process?.. ...
    I know policy makers and politicians have thoughts and ideas about this ...
    But I am talking about people taking action at their individual levels, in their local communities.

How exactly, people have to decide for themselves.

Does the local school have a summer fair? - Why not get some Muslim friends together and have a stall with food typical to your culture.

Become a school governor ... you'd be able to speak for the needs of the Muslims pupils.

Have an open day in your mosque ... as I know happened recently in some areas.

Get your imam to meet with leaders of other faiths.

Speak to your local library to see if they can purchase books more suitable or relevant to the Muslim population.

Encourage your children to make friends with non-Muslim children.

Or, very simply, just say hello to your non-Muslim neighbours. (My own interest in Islam started, when a Muslim neighbour brought small Christmas presents for our children! I was so surprised, that I decided to bake her some Christmas biscuits ... and had to find out what food was halaal...)

I dunno ... these are just a few things that come into my head.

Peace.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

iLL_LeaT's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by j4763 View Post
    Here in the UK we do have RE lessons (religious educations) in all schools between the ages 12-16 but many if not all Muslims are excused from these lessons by there parents.

Shame imo, its not like they have to practice what there learning.

I wonder why. The second largest religion in the world is being excluded from religion classes? There must be some reason.

Islam is a very attractive religion. I wonder if the UK government realizes this and feels that if there are less people fallowing the Islamic ideology, it would keep people from misinterpreting the Quran and becoming a militant activist/terrorist.

Note: Completely Speculation
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Survey in run-up to 7/7

They don't actually teach religion properly in RE. Instead of going over the basics first they start at something in the middle. My first secondary school lesson about Islam was about Hajj, not the Muslim creed.
    Survey in run-up to 7/7

chat Quote

MinAhlilHadeeth's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That is very sad.
    Maybe because the police shoot innocent Muslims?
    Oh but wait.... it was for a good cause.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We have no such thing here in the US. Unless you go to a private school that receives no federal funding teaching on any religion is strictly prohibited.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Survey in run-up to 7/7 Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Survey in run-up to 7/7