× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 53 visibility 7641

Christianity dying out?

Argamemnon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Christianity dying out?

Report bad ads?

I'm interested in Christianity in different continents. Christianity is slowly dying out in Europe, I think we can all agree on this. But what about the US and other regions and continents of the world?
    Last edited by Argamemnon; 12-17-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Hamayun's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Allahu Akbar
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Christianity dying out?

I have lived in England 10 years and I do not know a single Christian.... All the English people I know are Atheists and the only time they mention Christianity is to make fun of it

Even the Churches seem a bit deserted and the only people who seem to go there are African-British people.

It is sad!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I believe it's growing in South America and Africa and I guess Hispanics contribute to the growth in the US.
    Last edited by Whatsthepoint; 12-17-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    chat Quote

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon View Post
    I'm interested in Christianity in different continents. Christianity is slowly dying out in Europe, I think we can all agree on this. But what about the US and other regions and continents of the world?
    In Europe the ethnic europeans dont have many children, with every generation there are fewer and fewer europeans. That may bring the view that the religion of our forefathers, christianity, is disapearing as well from this continent. I dont think that religions can be judged by popularity height. You have Miley Cirus who sells best, and you also have King Crimson or Rush, who sell much worse. But the quantity of their music is clear.
    Christianity dying out?

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85 View Post
    In Europe the ethnic europeans dont have many children, with every generation there are fewer and fewer europeans.
    I don't think that's the main reason. The main reason (in Europe) is that most people are atheist. In some countries the number of atheists is around 70-80% I believe. You are regarded as a weirdo if you believe in God here...
    Last edited by Argamemnon; 12-17-2008 at 08:40 PM.
    chat Quote

Ashjan95's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

asalaam alkum

in liverpool there are christain people that go to the church mainly sudays and i no alot of christains but half of them that used to go to the chruch hardly do anymore how sad is it.......
    Christianity dying out?

M-U-S-L-I-M
    MUSLIM 4 LIFE
    & WE WILL NEVER GIVE IN
    WE STAND UP AND SPEAK OUT
    AGAINST THOSE WHO OPPRESS
    WE TAKE ISLAM &
    WE TAKE NO LESS
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: Christianity dying out?

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85 View Post
    In Europe the ethnic europeans dont have many children, with every generation there are fewer and fewer europeans. That may bring the view that the religion of our forefathers, christianity, is disapearing as well from this continent. I dont think that religions can be judged by popularity height. You have Miley Cirus who sells best, and you also have King Crimson or Rush, who sell much worse. But the quantity of their music is clear.

'Ethnic Europeans' still hold the vast majority in Europe. Yet the vast majority of ethnic Europeans are not Christian, especially in Western Europe.
    Christianity dying out?

wwwislamicboardcom - Christianity dying out?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post

'Ethnic Europeans' still hold the vast majority in Europe. Yet the vast majority of ethnic Europeans are not Christian, especially in Western Europe.
    That's the price of secularism and economic development.
    It's the same in Eastern Europe, except the the most likely cause there is communism. With the exception of Poland and Croatia, most countries there have a high number of non-believers.
    It's not only Christians that are affected by these factors. It's Muslims too. Countries like Albania, Bosnia, Kazakhstan etc too have a significant amount of irreligious citizens and of course, Muslims in Western Europe are secular too, a lot of them don't go to mosques or become atheists, however the family and social pressure they face is much stronger compared to Christians, so less actually leave their religion.
    chat Quote

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't think that's the main reason. The main reason (in Europe) is that most people are atheist. In some countries the number of atheists is around 70-80% I believe. You are regarded as a weirdo if you believe in God here...
    In Europe, about 75% of people are christians. Not all of them go to church, not all of them agree with christian morality, but they identify themselves with this religion. There are very very few european coutries where atheists are majority. I know one, Chech republic.
    Christianity dying out?

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint View Post
    It's the same in Eastern Europe, except the the most likely cause there is communism. With the exception of Poland and Croatia, most countries there have a high number of non-believers.
    It's not only Christians that are affected by these factors. It's Muslims too. Countries like Albania, Bosnia, Kazakhstan etc too have a significant amount of irreligious citizens and of course, Muslims in Western Europe are secular too, a lot of them don't go to mosques or become atheists, however the family and social pressure they face is much stronger compared to Christians, so less actually leave their religion.

Yeah, Communism would be a big factor too, not just in Eastern Europe though, but in those Muslim countries you listed as well. Albania even touted itself as 'the world's only atheist state'. Kazakhstan was settled by Russians quite a bit as well.
    Christianity dying out?

chat Quote

Banu_Hashim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A lot of my friends would say they've been brought up Christian, but really they have no belief in Christianity or God.
    Christianity dying out?

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

2533160 1 - Christianity dying out?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim View Post
    A lot of my friends would say they've been brought up Christian, but really they have no belief in Christianity or God.

When our family did the census (2001, before I was Muslim), we just put down 'C of E', despite being completely atheist.
    Christianity dying out?

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree with much you say, Whatsthepoint.

Because our society has become so secularised there are less external pressures on people to adhere to the 'Christian way of life'. People aren't expected anymore to go to church, have a church wedding, raise their children in a Christian way etc.
    So people have more freedom to choose - and many choose to seek fulfillment and meaning elsewhere.

However, what I do see is that those people who do go to church, do pray, do live in a way which follows Christ, seem to do so with real conviction and real desire.
    Those who wish to follow Christ remain Christians, those who don't do not have to pretend to be Christians any longer.

That's not such a bad thing.
    After all, what is the point in following a religion you don't believe in, just for the sake of pretending and feeling accepted by others?
    Most believers in God would agree that our relationship with God is what matters.
    If you believe in God, then you also believe that God cannot be fooled or cheated.
    If you don't believe in God, then it won't matter to you anyway ...

My prayer is for people to start seeking and searching God. The rest is up to Him.

Peace
    Christianity dying out?

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Christianity dying out?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

When our family did the census (2001, before I was Muslim), we just put down 'C of E', despite being completely atheist.
    Yeah... but historically the Church of England is more political than religious isn't it? With Henry VIII's wish to have autonomy over his marital affairs etc...
    Christianity dying out?

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's not only Christians that are affected by these factors. It's Muslims too. Countries like Albania, Bosnia, Kazakhstan etc too have a significant amount of irreligious citizens and of course.
    It saddens me to say that a part of the younger generation of Turks in Turkey are becoming increasingly non-religious as well (or just "culturally Muslim")... but there are also a lot of very pious young people. Turkey is a very strange country, it doesn't even seem like one country. We even have a gay pride parade in Istanbul and as a religious person I was very shocked to hear this.
    Last edited by Argamemnon; 12-17-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It saddens me to say that a part of the younger generation of Turks in Turkey are becoming increasingly non-religious as well (or just "culturally Muslim")... but of course there are also a lot of very pious young people.
    I often hear Christians and Muslims argue about which religion is 'bigger' (in terms of numbers).

That always strikes me as pointless.
    Perhaps quality (i.e. how seriously people take their faith) matters more than quantity (i.e. how many people proclaim to follow a certain religion on paper).

What do you think?
    Christianity dying out?

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Christianity dying out?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim View Post
    Yeah... but historically the Church of England is more political than religious isn't it? With Henry VIII's wish to have autonomy over his marital affairs etc...

Church of England is a branch of Protestantism, which was founded as a religious reform movement. The Protestants believed that the Pope was a bad thing, and thought that the king or Head of State should also be the Head of Church in his country. Since Henry VIII didn't want the Pope bossing around his marriages, he converted to Protestantism and set himself up as the head of the Church of England.
    Today it isn't really a political issue anymore though, since Henry lived hundreds of years ago. Church of England, despite it's dubious origins, is considered a valid Church.
    Christianity dying out?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It saddens me to say that a part of the younger generation of Turks in Turkey are becoming increasingly non-religious as well (or just "culturally Muslim")... but there are also a lot of very pious young people. Turkey is a very strange country, it doesn't even seem like one country. We even have a gay pride parade in Istanbul and as a religious person I was very shocked to learn this.
    I think this has emerged with Turkey's new "European" look. They want to be seen in par with any other European country; freedom of speech, equal opportunities etc... But at the same time, they have almost lost the true essence of what it means to be an Islamic country. How it's a privilege to be an Islamic country, to be able to enforce the fair and just laws laid down for us by Rasullulah (saws). You have some of the most beautiful Islamic architecture in Turkey, yet the spirit of the history of these buildings, our own history as Musilms, is being forgotten over time.
    Christianity dying out?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Church of England is a branch of Protestantism, which was founded as a religious reform movement. The Protestants believed that the Pope was a bad thing, and thought that the king or Head of State should also be the Head of Church in his country. Since Henry VIII didn't want the Pope bossing around his marriages, he converted to Protestantism and set himself up as the head of the Church of England.
    Today it isn't really a political issue anymore though, since Henry lived hundreds of years ago. Church of England, despite it's dubious origins, is considered a valid Church.
    Yeah true. I didn't mean today... Of course today it is considered a branch of Christianity.
    Christianity dying out?

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I often hear Christians and Muslims argue about which religion is 'bigger' (in terms of numbers).

That always strikes me as pointless.
    Perhaps quality (i.e. how seriously people take their faith) matters more than quantity (i.e. how many people proclaim to follow a certain religion on paper).

What do you think?
    I agree. I think the seriousness in which you take your faith is far more important, than sheer numbers of people.
    Christianity dying out?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Christianity dying out? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Christianity dying out?