star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

question for a christian

Report bad ads?

hello all. am not here to turn this thread into a debate just want to ask 2 questions which i need some answers for and then the thread can simply be closed.

• i would like to know if interest (usary) is forbiden in christianity
    • and if eating pig is forbidden

if they are forbiden can u tell where it says so from the king james version of the bible. if its not forbiden then no problem we just leave it there.

thank you all
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: question for a christian

format_quote Originally Posted by mohammed_alim View Post
    hello all. am not here to turn this thread into a debate just want to ask 2 questions which i need some answers for and then the thread can simply be closed.

• i would like to know if interest (usary) is forbiden in christianity
    • and if eating pig is forbidden

if they are forbiden can u tell where it says so from the king james version of the bible. if its not forbiden then no problem we just leave it there.

thank you all
    Yes, Pork is forbidden for a Christian, sadly many don't follow this as I do. I will qoute the verse for you.

Leviticus 11

Clean and Unclean Food

1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 2 "Say to the Israelites: 'Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a split hoof completely divided and that chews the cud.
    4 " 'There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5 The coney, [a] though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Hope this helps? There are many more listed as unclean. But I figured this is a shorter answer.

God bless.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy View Post
    Yes, Pork is forbidden for a Christian, sadly many don't follow this as I do. I will qoute the verse for you.

Leviticus 11

Clean and Unclean Food

1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron, 2 "Say to the Israelites: 'Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a split hoof completely divided and that chews the cud.
    4 " 'There are some that only chew the cud or only have a split hoof, but you must not eat them. The camel, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is ceremonially unclean for you. 5 The coney, [a] though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 6 The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you. 7 And the pig, though it has a split hoof completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. 8 You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Hope this helps? There are many more listed as unclean. But I figured this is a shorter answer.

God bless.
    I appologise this is the King james version, the one above is the New International Version.

Leviticus 11
    1And the LORD spake unto Moses and to Aaron, saying unto them,

2Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the beasts that are on the earth.

3Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat.

4Nevertheless these shall ye not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the hoof: as the camel, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

5And the coney, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

6And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

7And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

8Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.

9These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sorry bro, i forgot to post this in the first one for you.

Deuteronomy 23:18-20 (King James Version)

18Thou shalt not bring the hire of a *****, or the price of a dog, into the house of the LORD thy God for any vow: for even both these are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

19Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury:

20Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all that thou settest thine hand to in the land whither thou goest to possess it.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    mohammed_alim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

italianguy thanx alot pal. thats wat i needed to know. thanx
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

italianguy thanx alot pal. thats wat i needed to know. thanx
    Thats what I am here for! I am happy that helped.
    chat Quote

mohammed_alim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thats what I am here for! I am happy that helped.
    hey italianguy i cudnt reply bcos i need to have 50 posts to send private reply. bt anyway i dnt mind answering ur question here.... basically i have a m8 i work with, his a practising christian. am the 1st muslim his ever met. when i 1st met him i told him i dnt eat pork at all. so he often takes the p*** (sorry 4 bad lang) outa me for not eating it and wat am missing out on so bcos i know islam and christianity are very similar i told him that am pretty sure christians r not allowed to eat pork.. and also we got into a talk about banks and i told him muslims dnt take interest also ect... he found dat part shocking and thought dats crazy.. so i said again am sure its the same in ur religion (christianity) so he said told me to prove it from the king james version like where it says those 2 things r not allowed.
    chat Quote

Nathaniel's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes, Pork is forbidden for a Christian, sadly many don't follow this as I do.
    The more common view is that Jesus declared all foods clean:

"Don't you see that nothing that enters a man from the outside can make him 'unclean'? For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods "clean.") - Mark 7:18-20 (TNIV)

Hebrews 7:11-12 is also very relevant for understanding why the law changed:

If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood (for on the basis of it the law was given to the people), why was there still need for another priest to come—one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron? For when there is a change of the priesthood, there must also be a change of the law. - (TNIV)
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So why would Jesus (your god) contradict himself by abolishing the laws of the OT and by the same token say:

in Matt 5:17, Jesus clearly states “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.”
    question for a christian

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - question for a christian

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye View Post
    So why would Jesus (your god) contradict himself by abolishing the laws of the OT and by the same token say:

in Matt 5:17, Jesus clearly states “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
    Because the last four words (in bold) mean that there is no contradiction whatsoever. The whole point of the passage in Hebrews (from which the quoted in part) is that Jesus superseded the Levitical priesthood as the new Priest.
    chat Quote

Rabi Mansur's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel View Post
    Because the last four words (in bold) mean that there is no contradiction whatsoever. The whole point of the passage in Hebrews (from which the quoted in part) is that Jesus superseded the Levitical priesthood as the new Priest.
    I was always taught that the law was fulfilled in Jesus Christ, hence there was no need to follow all the Mosaic laws anymore because they had served their purpose.

Almost all the Christians I know have no problem with usury and they eat pork. Neither of these two things are an issue for most Christians.

question for a christian

“All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”

Rumi
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't see fulfillment in allowing a prohibition, do you?
    There should be more than words on pages right? to fulfill the laws abandoned by the Jews doesn't equal to abrogating them?!

all the best
    question for a christian

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - question for a christian

chat Quote

Rabi Mansur's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There should be more than words on pages right? to fulfill the laws abandoned by the Jews doesn't equal to abrogating them?!

all the best
    I was taught that the mosaic laws had served their purpose and were replaced by a higher law through Jesus Christ. The Aaronic laws were given to the Jews when they rejected the higher law at Mount Sinai.

How does Islam view these laws? I don't see Muslims having to obey the Sabbath, be circumsized, not eat camel meat, etc., as required by the Mosaic law. They still follow the prohibition on pork, but there are a lot of things I read that were part of the Mosaic law that Islam no longer seems to follow.
    What is the rationale for that? Have some of those laws been abrogated?

question for a christian

“All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”

Rumi
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur View Post
    I was taught that the mosaic laws had served their purpose and were replaced by a higher law through Jesus Christ. The Aaronic laws were given to the Jews when they rejected the higher law at Mount Sinai.

How does Islam view these laws? I don't see Muslims having to obey the Sabbath, be circumsized, not eat camel meat, etc., as required by the Mosaic law. They still follow the prohibition on pork, but there are a lot of things I read that were part of the Mosaic law that Islam no longer seems to follow.
    What is the rationale for that? Have some of those laws been abrogated?

God doesn't abrogate his commandments, there is no reason to, yes you have to keep with the laws, be circumcised etc. we observe all prayers but friday is considered a type of Eid. the sabbath was a test for the Jews which they didn't uphold.

(4: 47) O ye People of the Book! believe in what We have (now) revealed, confirming what was (already) with you, before We change the face and fame of some (of you) beyond all recognition, and turn them hindwards, or curse them as We cursed the Sabbath-breakers, for the decision of Allah must be carried out.

and Allah swt knows best

question for a christian

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by rabimansur View Post
    I was always taught that the law was fulfilled in Jesus Christ, hence there was no need to follow all the Mosaic laws anymore because they had served their purpose.

Almost all the Christians I know have no problem with usury and they eat pork. Neither of these two things are an issue for most Christians.

Speak only for yourself, especially if you are a non-Christian my freind.

If Christ has changed and or abolished all old testament or Mosaic law, why do we have an old testament? Why not just the teachings of Christ book? We are not to follow the old testament veiws of sacrificing living creatures and such, but we are to follow what the Bible says. And still....until someone shows me (not metaphoricaly speaking) that Jesus said "it's ok to eat what the Father has told us not to now" I will continue to do so (not eat pork) for the same reason the Bible tells women NOT to speak in the church as a pastor or priest! AND to cover their heads in modesty before God in His huose as well while in prayer. I could care less what these so called liberal new movement Bible changing Christians are doing, I read what it says with out trying to make it work for my life, but rather making my life work for God!

And you are absalutely correct!!!! There are a lot of Christians doing wayyyyyyyyy worse things against God written and spoken law and word, than just eating pork, or charging people interest(insane amounts no one can afford) to build their own personal kingdoms,and justify it by titheingWith only profits made off the interest!

It saddens my heart to see how distant we have become from God, and how we made our personal relationship with God through Christ just a pocket item...our own personal Jesus, not to be shared.

I have now become a historical manager i guess you could call it for my church, it is a life application newer age church. They have asked me to address any problems I may see that would cause the church body to stray from the message. Our church has 3,442 members so my work is cut out for me only being 1. Example; their were men comming in with hats on and the church had started a gender mixed singles Bible study, in which i put a stop to immediatley, after an interveiw investigation, i found %70 of the members ......dating, and or worse.

Start reading your Bibles for yourselves(Christians)....try it, you will be amazed how much you and I are doing wrong. Do not interpret it to make it what you want. Interpret it to tell you how to be.

God bless.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

hey italianguy i cudnt reply bcos i need to have 50 posts to send private reply. bt anyway i dnt mind answering ur question here.... basically i have a m8 i work with, his a practising christian. am the 1st muslim his ever met. when i 1st met him i told him i dnt eat pork at all. so he often takes the p*** (sorry 4 bad lang) outa me for not eating it and wat am missing out on so bcos i know islam and christianity are very similar i told him that am pretty sure christians r not allowed to eat pork.. and also we got into a talk about banks and i told him muslims dnt take interest also ect... he found dat part shocking and thought dats crazy.. so i said again am sure its the same in ur religion (christianity) so he said told me to prove it from the king james version like where it says those 2 things r not allowed.
    Ok, wow....a Muslim having to educate a Christian on Christian belief...ironic, buttttt cool to say the least.

There will be many Christians here giving interpretations. BUt there is only what God has commanded. And we may not eat pork, among other things. And were not SUPOSSED to charge intrest.

God be with you friend.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I like to consider the analogy with the way parents bring up their child. When the child is very young, they have to obey rules that would be ridiculous for a teenager to have to follow (like being in bed before 8 o'clock, or not being allowed outside on their own). Though these rules no longer apply to the teenager, that does not mean that the now-abandoned rules were worthless (just "words on a page"); no, rather, they had a particular purpose for a particular time, and teach the child valuable principles that will apply to all of life (like the importance of resting and being safe). The rules are fulfilled in the child growing up, now that they have understood these principles.

Just in the same way, we see that the purposes of particular Old Testament laws has been completed (which is what "fulfilled" means) by Jesus. The laws are still immensely valuable, because of their underlying principles and the way they point towards their fulfillment in Jesus.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If Christ has changed and or abolished all old testament or Mosaic law, why do we have an old testament? Why not just the teachings of Christ book? We are not to follow the old testament veiws of sacrificing living creatures and such, but we are to follow what the Bible says. And still....until someone shows me (not metaphoricaly speaking) that Jesus said "it's ok to eat what the Father has told us not to now" I will continue to do so (not eat pork) for the same reason the Bible tells women NOT to speak in the church as a pastor or priest!
    See my previous post, and (again) Jesus' very explicit statement in Mark 7.

(We can discuss women as priests and pastors another time I'm sure.)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

See my previous post, and (again) Jesus' very explicit statement in Mark 7.

(We can discuss women as priests and pastors another time I'm sure.)
    No need for discussion on women being pastors or preists, It is forbidden.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No need for discussion on women being pastors or preists, It is forbidden.
    As I said, another time...
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! question for a christian Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. question for a christian