star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

Report bad ads?

Yet another attack on our Muslim sisters by a right-wing politician.

The Member of Parliament for Kettering has been criticised by constituents and Councillors for introducing an anti-burqa Private Member's Bill in the UK Parliament. Earlier this month a statement by the Council of Europe was made in support of the right to wear a burqa. However, Kettering’s Conservative MP Philip Hollobone is proposing changes to UK legislation to criminalise women who choose to wear the conservative Muslim garment.

Hollobone, who also has a history of opposing pro-environmental legislation, has described wearing a burqa as equivalent to “going around with a paper bag over your head” and accused the Council of Europe of being “out of touch with popular opinion.”
    CLICK HERE FOR FULL STORY

2. Report bad ads?
    titus's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

It sounds to me like this Hollobone has too much time on his hands and needs to concentrate on something that is actually important.

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

He's a Tory. 'Nuff said.

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'd like to reiterrate the blatantly obvious: it's a piece of cloth.....CLOTH!

Not a gun, not a bag of weed, not a katana blade. Just a piece of cloth.

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''

6. Report bad ads?
    cat eyes's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well what do muslims really expect living in u.k also they'd hardly have a cop on every street corner surely? id say the sisters would get away with wearing it anyway.

there is difference of opinion whether scholars believe its compulsory or not and id say this also influenced there decision because the non muslims are aware it is not compulsory.

ae8iug 1 - Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

wwwislamicboardcom - Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hollobone...has described wearing a burqa as equivalent to “going around with a paper bag over your head”
    But wearing a paper bag over your head is not in and of itself illegal.

I feel like sticking a facepalm image onto a paper bag and then putting it over someone's head.

friendofall's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's a shame, because while I do not like the burkha the reality is if a women thinks it is indecent to go in public showing her face, if the burkha is banned surely all that will happen is these women will stay inside and become ostracised from mainstream society? I think measures like this are reactionary and don't actually help.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post
    I'd like to reiterrate the blatantly obvious: it's a piece of cloth.....CLOTH!

Not a gun, not a bag of weed, not a katana blade. Just a piece of cloth.
    And a bag of weed is just a plant

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Whilst it might seem annoying that Hollobone would suggest a ban of the burka, what's more important seems that his suggestion seems to be falling of stony ground.
    There is every indication that his proposal will not get anywhere at all.

So 'boo' to Hollobone and 'hurray' to the opinion of the British populace!

Heres are some headlines:

The Telegraph - A burqa ban would be un-British
    So, as much as the sight of these outfits depress me, the law would be alien to us as a nation. Whatever we feel about the burqa, it’s none of the state’s business to dictate how a woman dresses, even if there are legitimate fears that she may have been pressured into it.

The Guardian - UK attempt to ban the burqa would be disproportionate and intolerant

BBC - MP proposes law to ban wearing burkas and balaclavas
    The backbench MP was one of 20 drawn in a ballot for the chance to get a Private Members' Bill on the statute book.
    His Face Coverings (Regulation) Bill had its first reading in the Commons, a formality which allows the legislation to be printed.
    But, because Mr Hollobone was only drawn 17th in the ballot, it stands little chance of progress.

Two Circles.net - Tory MP seeks to ban Muslim face veil in UK
    Although the bill has little chance of being passed because of the lack of parliamentary time allowed for non-government legislation, Hollobone said he was wanted to make it illegal for people to cover their faces in public “which would obviously have a big impact for those who wear full-face Islamic veils”.

Shaista Gohir, of the Muslim Women's Network UK, described the moves as “completely disproportionate” and warned that the Islamophobic move would “play into the hands of extremist parties.

Mail Online - Tory MP launches first legal bid to ban burka in Britain
    The bill, which had its first reading yesterday, stands little chance of becoming law due to limited Parliamentary time and a lack of support from the main political parties.

Heather Harvey, Amnesty International UK Stop Violence Against Women campaign manager, said: 'For those women who are being coerced into wearing full face veils, a ban would only make matters worse. Either they're criminalised if they go out in public or, more likely, they are confined to their homes.'
    Last edited by glo; 07-04-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

12. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I love how these turds always have to put their personal opinion before padding it with something quasi politically correct... 'the sight of these outfits depress me'
    well then look the other way no?.. if you have trash wearing the bare minimum (skin) and gyrating on every corner and regular day time TV then you can withstand the maximum..

as for legitimate fears that they are being coerced, well isn't banning them from wear also a form of coercion?.. what kind of twits run these countries!

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

Danah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    protectedpearls.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Freedom they said, eh?
    What a twisted principle!!

Visit my website
    ProtectedPearls.com

Your way to find the truth

Follow us on:

YouTube
    Twitter
    Facebook

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah View Post
    Freedom they said, eh?
    What a twisted principle!!
    isn't it ironic that the most intolerant and hateful turds in the world come from the west to accuse Muslims of just that? We're occupying and pillaging their countries, we are running the rumor mill 24/7, we are passing laws left and right to make their lives miserable, we are dispensing with advise on how their laws aren't compatible with common sense, we are looting their national treasures and stealing their natural resources, we are dumping endless diatribe about their religion and making up crap as we go along to malign their beliefs! ..

rabid and pure insanity!

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

Rhubarb Tart's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

He said the same thing last year, and the year before that and the year before that. When is this loser so intent on making minorities lives difficult?
    Hollobone, who also has a history of opposing pro-environmental legislation, has described wearing a burqa as equivalent to “going around with a paper bag over your head” and accused the Council of Europe of being “out of touch with popular opinion.”
    What popular opinion? Ths sun, daily fail and bigots from EDL. Apart from that no one actually cares and havent cared for years!
    “This has never been an issue in Kettering. You will never, ever speak to anybody who works in a bank or a shop or a newsagent in Kettering who has had an issue with this. There are such serious other issues affecting the country.”

Local resident Vic Mackey expressed anger at Hollobone to his local newspaper, saying: “On this issue Hollobone is an utter disgrace. There are only two females in Kettering's population of 85,000 who wear [the burqa]. I don't care if 1,000 women want to.”
    oh how i love the british people, most of them have sense and support basic rights like wearing whatever we want!

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one.." [Bukhaari].

Zafran's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam

the Burqa ban makes no sense anyway - If you ban the burqa so women are not forced to wear it then they will just be forced to stay at home anyway.

If you ban the burqa and the women chooses to wear it then your restricating the womens freedom.

No sense whats so ever.

peace

Do you think the pious don't sin?

They merely:
    Veiled themselves and didn't flaunt it
    Sought forgiveness and didn't persist
    Took ownership of it and don't justify it
    And acted with excellence after they had erred - Ibn al-Qayyim

18. Report bad ads?
    Rhubarb Tart's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wish glo did not post those links into this site. Just reading through the comments makes me sick.
    I did not expect such comments to be on the guardian or telegraph. One idiot suggested he was absolutely certain that these women were being forced to wear it and all other idiotic comments were on how “oppressed” women were in Muslim countries, under Sharia laws and few other idiots were complaining about “Halal” food (when the way their foods are being prepared is much more barbaric). Such comments were a reminder why I stay only in Islam forum, msn and hotmail.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one.." [Bukhaari].

Zafran's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106 View Post
    I wish glo did not post those links into this site. Just reading through the comments makes me sick.
    I did not expect such comments to be on the guardian or telegraph. One idiot suggested he was absolutely certain that these women were being forced to wear it and all other idiotic comments were on how “oppressed” women were in Muslim countries, under Sharia laws and few other idiots were complaining about “Halal” food (when the way their foods are being prepared is much more barbaric). Such comments were a reminder why I stay only in Islam forum, msn and hotmail.
    salaam

I agree with you recently theres a serious vile attack on muslims and Islam on these comment sections in the Guardian and other newspapers. The telegraph is a conservative paper anyway but some of the comments on there are seriously disturbing.

peace

Do you think the pious don't sin?

They merely:
    Veiled themselves and didn't flaunt it
    Sought forgiveness and didn't persist
    Took ownership of it and don't justify it
    And acted with excellence after they had erred - Ibn al-Qayyim

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran View Post
    salaam

I agree with you recently theres a serious vile attack on muslims and Islam on these comment sections in the Guardian and other newspapers. The telegraph is a conservative paper anyway but some of the comments on there are seriously disturbing.

peace

There are also many paid disinfo agents being spread on the Internet, who go look for such Topics, like on News Websites and other Websites, etc and try spreading Disinfo or try to support the Article, so that people don't change their view in favor of the Muslims....

Danah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    protectedpearls.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Same here! I wish I didn't read them.

Just what we can expect from such people! I remember reading something in the past I can't remember where but it was something like: "anything women cover we need to see"!!

Visit my website
    ProtectedPearls.com

Your way to find the truth

Follow us on:

YouTube
    Twitter
    Facebook

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

since i am not yet allowed to post ... i have submitted this news article... Insha Allah it will get approved by a moderator...

you can read it click here...its something like this, i think... its paid agents who do this to get support for the propaganda...

http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/new...-unveiled.html

24. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran View Post
    salaam

peace
    format_quote Originally Posted by Danah View Post
    Same here! I wish I didn't read them.

Just what we can expect from such people! I remember reading something in the past I can't remember where but it was something like: "anything women cover we need to see"!!
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I was trying to emphasize that most people are tolerant and have no problem with women covering up ... even if they personally don't agree with it. It was meant to be a positive and encouraging post.

I have to admit that I didn't read all articles in detail.
    On closer reading there certainly does seem to be a perception that some Muslim women are forced to cover up.

Whilst I am sure that that isn't the case for the vast majority of muslimahs in this country, do people here think that there are perhaps some muslimahs who may indeed be forced to cover up?
    Or do you think such stories are entirely fabricated by the media?

Despite from people assuming (rightly or wrongly) that some women are forced to cover up, what do you think about the general attitude that women should be permitted to cover up and that it is 'not the British way' to prevent them from doing so?
    What about the suggestion that any women who may be forced to cover up (if that kind of thing does indeed take place) are enabled to leave the house whilst covering up, and that they would be prevented from leaving the house if the proposed law ever became valid?

Salaam

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Voters Slam MP For Introducing Burqa Ban Proposal To UK Parliament