× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 29 visibility 4574

Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another language

anonymous's Avatar Restricted Member
    brightness_1
    Anonymous User
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Undisclosed
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another language

Report bad ads?

A couple of girls I know take advantage of talking in a language some of their other online friends don't understand, sometimes it's harmless, sometimes cheeky, sometimes mean.

Recently they added a girl on Facebook who they don't really know well and praised her for something, the girl was happy and thanked them, and straight away under the same comments they talked about her in a mean manner and laughed at her in their own language, knowing that a lot of the other people reading *can* understand whilst the poor girl is oblivious and thinks these two are becoming her friend.

Should I let the girl know privately as this is publicly humiliating and cruel to her without her even knowing, rather than backbiting where atleast it is done in privacy.

IB Forum Anonymous Account.
    Available to those who wish to be anonymous in the Advice & Support section.

Abuse of the Anonymous System will NOT be tolerated!
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another lang

format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    A couple of girls I know take advantage of talking in a language some of their other online friends don't understand, sometimes it's harmless, sometimes cheeky, sometimes mean.

Recently they added a girl on Facebook who they don't really know well and praised her for something, the girl was happy and thanked them, and straight away under the same comments they talked about her in a mean manner and laughed at her in their own language, knowing that a lot of the other people reading *can* understand whilst the poor girl is oblivious and thinks these two are becoming her friend.

Should I let the girl know privately as this is publicly humiliating and cruel to her without her even knowing, rather than backbiting where atleast it is done in privacy.
    Yes. This is bullying and it's backbiting, she may be present but she cannot understand the language so it's essentially backbiting those girls should be ashamed of themselves.
    | Likes LaSorcia, sister herb liked this post
    chat Quote

ukmuslimah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another lang

I hate girls like this, makes me understand why women will be the most numerous in Jahanam.

Advice them first, if they don't stop then tell them you will have to inform the girl who they are ridiculing/backbiting. I would personally cut them off and not associate with people with that. Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

You might want to advise them of this hadeeth;

'Imam Al-Bukhari and Muslim reported that Abdullah narrated that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "if you are three people, then two of you should not speak confidentially unless you mix with people, so that this will not upset the third person" and in another narration" that (speaking secretly) harms the Mu'min and Allah does not like that the Mu'min be harmed".'
    chat Quote

M.I.A.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Not on Facebook so I don't know how it works.

..tell her to make her page public.

Most people's ignorance is dispelled when anonymity is removed.

At the least, you know anyway.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Scimitar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This doesn't happen on "Muslim Social Media"

(yo, I'm joking)

It happens everywhere - the only qualifier? SOCIAL MEDIA... in other words - gossip station.

Scimi

15noje9 1 - Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another language
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

But to answer your question -

"O you who believe, fear Allah and be among the truthful ones" (9:119) It is astonishing how people can influence others simply by being in each other's company. Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari (ra) reported: I heard the Prophet (saw) saying, "The similitude of good company and that of bad company is that of the owner of musk and of the one blowing the bellows. The owner of musk would either offer you some free of charge, or you would buy it from him, or you smell its pleasant fragrance; and as for the one who blows the bellows (i.e., the blacksmith), he either burns your clothes or you smell a repugnant smell". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]. Commentary: This Hadith enjoins that one should sit in the company of the pious persons and avoid the impious ones because the former has the quality of a perfume seller and the latter of a blacksmith. In the association of pious men, one stands to gain all the time and ultimately becomes like them. In bad company one is out-and-out a loser and can never hope to gain any benefit from them. Abu Sa`id Al-Khudri (ra) reported: The Prophet (saw) said, "Keep only a believer for a companion and let only a pious eat your food". [At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud]. Commentary: This Hadith forbids Muslims from befriending infidels and stresses that they should establish a bond of friendship and fraternity with the pious persons only. Abu Hurairah (ra) reported: I heard the Prophet (saw) saying, "Man follows his friend's religion, you should be careful who you take for friends". [At-Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud]. Commentary: This Hadith also induces one to avoid the company of impious people and seek the association of the pious persons

Source

So there you have it. You are the company you keep.

Scimi
    | Likes Umm Abed, *charisma* liked this post

15noje9 1 - Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another language
    chat Quote

piXie's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ukmuslimah View Post
    I hate girls like this, makes me understand why women will be the most numerous in Jahanam.

Advice them first, if they don't stop then tell them you will have to inform the girl who they are ridiculing/backbiting. I would personally cut them off and not associate with people with that. Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Just to add to that, we should also be aware of "friends" that speak ill of other people or spread untrue things causing discord, bad feelings and suspicion, whether they r offline or online friends. Today they speak badly about others to you, and tomorrow they will speak badly about you to others. Dont sit with people like that or listen to their ill talk or believe any if it.

They only expose themselves and their low character.
    chat Quote

Serinity's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Such people are wasting time and are lowlives.. Tbh reminds me of 7 graders or 6 graders wanting to be the 'cool' 'popular' girl or something. Such people either end up being douchebags or they change for good.
    Last edited by Serinity; 06-10-2016 at 11:40 PM.
    | Likes EgyptPrincess, Scimitar liked this post
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Anonymous User
    Religion
    Undisclosed
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

TBH most of you haven't answered my Q of wether to tell the person which is the dilemma here. It will obviously cause upset to her and cause bad feeling between all of them, but at the same time I would want to know I was being humiliated in plain sight in a language I don't understand. Islamically as a "bystander" is it a good idea for me to let her know of this so she is not left in this position without even knowing.

One of the girls is related to me and the other is her friend, I will disapprove bad actions my relative does where I can without causing drama but I can't cut her out of my life obviously and i would hope she sees the error of her ways. It is extremely disappointing to see her behaving this way when she has a good side too.

MIA - Hmm i'm not sure you understood the scenario and yes it's clear you don't understand Facebook either lol. No one is anonymous or needs to make their account public, the "victim" in this case knows who they are, they are simply talking about her in a language she doesn't understand.

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

TBH most of you haven't answered my Q of wether to tell the person which is the dilemma here. It will obviously cause upset to her and cause bad feeling between all of them, but at the same time I would want to know I was being humiliated in plain sight in a language I don't understand. Islamically as a "bystander" is it a good idea for me to let her know of this so she is not left in this position without even knowing.

One of the girls is related to me and the other is her friend, I will disapprove bad actions my relative does where I can without causing drama but I can't cut her out of my life obviously and i would hope she sees the error of her ways. It is extremely disappointing to see her behaving this way when she has a good side too.

MIA - Hmm i'm not sure you understood the scenario and yes it's clear you don't understand Facebook either lol. No one is anonymous or needs to make their account public, the "victim" in this case knows who they are, they are simply talking about her in a language she doesn't understand.
    There is an islamic answer.

Wanna hear it?

Remove yourself from such situations.

Scimi

chat Quote

*charisma*'s Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would not tell her because that would bring her grief and cause animosity between them. You should talk to your cousin though and make her feel bad for what she's doing. Sometimes all we need are reminders.
    | Likes AbdurRahman. liked this post

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Anonymous User
    Religion
    Undisclosed
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's pretty poor and blind advice, i'm not "in" any situation - I, like many others saw these comments appearing on a newsfeed. No different to overhearing the same thing in person just because you're near someone.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Anonymous User
    Religion
    Undisclosed
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Above reply was to Timi Scar

chat Quote

brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's pretty poor and blind advice, i'm not "in" any situation - I, like many others saw these comments appearing on a newsfeed. No different to overhearing the same thing in person just because you're near someone.
    You can't see what I see.

Remove yourself, they wonder why - then you tell them why - impact.

They'll take it perosnally and know they've failed you because you have actively removed yourself from that fitan.

But hey, it's poor advice, right?

Scimi

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Anonymous User
    Religion
    Undisclosed
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma* View Post
    I would not tell her because that would bring her grief and cause animosity between them. You should talk to your cousin though and make her feel bad for what she's doing. Sometimes all we need are reminders.
    That is what's holding me back from telling her, I don't want to upset her. But then I think she is going to carry on being friendly/friends with them and perhaps put herself through more of this, wether online or in person.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Anonymous User
    Religion
    Undisclosed
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar View Post
    You can't see what I see.

Remove yourself, they wonder why - then you tell them why - impact.

They'll take it perosnally and know they've failed you because you have actively removed yourself from that fitan.

But hey, it's poor advice, right?

Scimi
    Where am I removing myself from exactly???

chat Quote

brightness_1
    DAWAH DIGITAL
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Are you serious?

You would know, you're in it.

Scimi

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Anonymous User
    Religion
    Undisclosed
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Timi Scar View Post
    Are you serious?

You would know, you're in it.

Scimi
    Is this what counts for good advice and support? Talking in riddles and not helping at all.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That is what's holding me back from telling her, I don't want to upset her. But then I think she is going to carry on being friendly/friends with them and perhaps put herself through more of this, wether online or in person.
    That's why you should talk to your cousins first. If they're relentless and continue to talk about her whether it be gossip or slander, then what I would do is tell the girl that they have bad intent or put my cousins on blast since they are writing it for everyone on their friend's list to see anyways.

Please be aware that my advice is not at all Islamic, because I don't know what the islamic way of handling such a situation would be. I would just try my very best not to create animosity or hatred between them or cause them to quarrel. Since this person is your cousin, it would be better to try to fix it from that end first, and then sticking up for the girl publicly (as in the same manner that she's being gossiped about), and lastly as a last resort if she does not stop, I would tell the girl to stop associating herself with them.

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ignore him, it's almost his bedtime

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another language Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Should I tell someone they're being talked about in front of them in another language