× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 34 visibility 4374

BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

Pk_#2's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Cool BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

Report bad ads?

In the Name of God The Most Kind

Peace be upon those who follow guidance,

"I am both Muslim and Christian" By Janet I. Tu
    Seattle Times religion reporter

Shortly after noon on Fridays, the Rev. Ann Holmes Redding ties on a black headscarf, preparing to pray with her Muslim group on First Hill.
    On Sunday mornings, Redding puts on the white collar of an Episcopal priest.

She does both, she says, because she's Christian and Muslim.
    Redding, who until recently was director of faith formation at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral, has been a priest for more than 20 years. Now she's ready to tell people that, for the last 15 months, she's also been a Muslim — drawn to the faith after an introduction to Islamic prayers left her profoundly moved.

Her announcement has provoked surprise and bewilderment in many, raising an obvious question: How can someone be both a Christian and a Muslim?
    But it has drawn other reactions too. Friends generally say they support her, while religious scholars are mixed: Some say that, depending on how one interprets the tenets of the two faiths, it is, indeed, possible to be both. Others consider the two faiths mutually exclusive.

"There are tenets of the faiths that are very, very different," said Kurt Fredrickson, director of the doctor of ministry program at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, Calif. "The most basic would be: What do you do with Jesus?"

Christianity has historically regarded Jesus as the son of God and God incarnate, both fully human and fully divine. Muslims, though they regard Jesus as a great prophet, do not see him as divine and do not consider him the son of God.

"I don't think it's possible" to be both, Fredrickson said, just like "you can't be a Republican and a Democrat."

Redding, who will begin teaching the New Testament as a visiting assistant professor at Seattle University this fall, has a different analogy: "I am both Muslim and Christian, just like I'm both an American of African descent and a woman. I'm 100 percent both."

Redding doesn't feel she has to resolve all the contradictions. People within one religion can't even agree on all the details, she said. "So why would I spend time to try to reconcile all of Christian belief with all of Islam?
    "At the most basic level, I understand the two religions to be compatible. That's all I need."

She says she felt an inexplicable call to become Muslim, and to surrender to God — the meaning of the word "Islam."

"It wasn't about intellect," she said. "All I know is the calling of my heart to Islam was very much something about my identity and who I am supposed to be.

"I could not not be a Muslim."

Redding's situation is highly unusual. Officials at the national Episcopal Church headquarters said they are not aware of any other instance in which a priest has also been a believer in another faith. They said it's up to the local bishop to decide whether such a priest could continue in that role.

Redding's bishop, the Rt. Rev. Vincent Warner, says he accepts Redding as an Episcopal priest and a Muslim, and that he finds the interfaith possibilities exciting. Her announcement, first made through a story in her diocese's newspaper, hasn't caused much controversy yet, he said.

Some local Muslim leaders are perplexed.

Being both Muslim and Christian — "I don't know how that works," said Hisham Farajallah, president of the Islamic Center of Washington.
    But Redding has been embraced by leaders at the Al-Islam Center of Seattle, the Muslim group she prays with.

"Islam doesn't say if you're a Christian, you're not a Muslim," said programming director Ayesha Anderson. "Islam doesn't lay it out like that."
    Redding believes telling her story can help ease religious tensions, and she hopes it can be a step toward her dream of creating an institute to study Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

"I think this thing that's happened to me can be a sign of hope," she said.

Read more: HERE

SOURCE: seattle times

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

edit
    Last edited by NoName55; 06-20-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: in light of Br. woodrow post (which is better than mine was)

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A little difficult for me to understand. However, with what I know of the Episcopalian Church I can see how an Episcopalian would see no need for any theological disagreement between and Episcopalian and Islam.

The difficulty will arise in how her Muslim beliefs can agree with her Episcopalian beliefs.

If memory serves me Episcopalians are not bound to accept the Trinity as fact and some see the concept more as a Metaphor.

the question will be if she is willing to accept the authority of the Qur'an and Ahadith over the Bible and Church doctrine.

Herman 1 - BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Seems a little odd to me too. The question of Christ seems to be a barrier that cannot be simply overlooked. Neither Christians or Muslims can simply pretend this essential theological question doesn't divide us, but that doesn't mean Christians and Muslims can't work together to do God's work and try to improve our world...instead of destroying it.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."

6. Report bad ads?
    snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

in the beginnings of christianity, was jesus considered divine or human?
    if human, there should be no major problem - a person could just "revert" back to early (pure) christianity.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs View Post
    if human, there should be no major problem - a person could just "revert" back to early (pure) christianity.
    I would say that is in accordance with how we believe as Muslims. We know that Isa(as) was given the Injil and that He is a true prophet, so the early Christians would have had the same basic believes as we do.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
    According to thje apostles he was a man

Christains believe he rose from the dead and that the apostles saw him after he rose from the dead.

At this point, according, to christians, apostles believed he was the son of god and not a man.

Therefore early christains believed he was divine.

-

Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There is no doubt that the disciples of Christ believed He was divine, that is why Christianity is a religion. However, in so far as both Muslims and Christians follow Christ's teachings, there is room for cooperation there.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."

August's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No offense to any Episcopalians out there, but this could only happen with one of their ministers. Some branches of that church have departed so far from the original Christian faith that one of their priests becoming a Muslim while still ministering in their church is simply not a surprise. Islam and Christianity are mutually exclusive. If Jesus was the Son of God, then Muhammad was a false prophet. If Jesus was not the Son of God, then Christianity would be wrong. The religions simply can't be combined like she's trying to do.

12. Report bad ads?
    Bittersteel's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

odd.really odd.I hope she didn't do this in order to get attention.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    No offense to any Episcopalians out there, but this could only happen with one of their ministers. Some branches of that church have departed so far from the original Christian faith that one of their priests becoming a Muslim while still ministering in their church is simply not a surprise. Islam and Christianity are mutually exclusive. If Jesus was the Son of God, then Muhammad was a false prophet. If Jesus was not the Son of God, then Christianity would be wrong. The religions simply can't be combined like she's trying to do.
    do think that LC would be a more suitable name for this place than LI?

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Who is Jesus?

This was my reply regarding this article in another forum.
    For the sake of time, I will copy and paste it here. (Sorry to anybody who has seen it already)

"The main question for this woman is who she thinks Jesus is?
    A controversial guy with a message, a prophet from God, or God himself?

Whilst this may be an attempt to highlight the similarities between the monotheistic faiths (and that's a good thing, in my opinion), it's the above question which ultimately separates the three.

If she believes that Jesus is God, her beliefs cannot possibly be compatible with Islamic teachings.
    If she doesn't believe that Jesus is God ... well, then her Christian faith may be questionable anyway ..."

Peace

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

She is on her way, may Allah guide her!

wwwislamicboardcom - BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|

north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There are some religious groups that incorporated both Islam and Christianity in Indonesia. Example:- Krislam (Kristian + Islam = Krislam), Krislapi (Kristian + ISlam + Theosopi) etc.

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I wish I had the answers. Perhaps that since Islam is gaining acceprtance into the Western World there is a temporary need for some type of "Half way" house to serve as a door to introduce Islam to Christians.

I do not know, but I do know that whatever the purpose it is only possible through the Will of Allah(swt) May, the true seekers find what they are so desperately seeking.

SATalha's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by doorster View Post
    do think that LC would be a more suitable name for this place than LI?
    Why do you say that?

Anyway this very strange, surely beliefs will contradict? Do these type of Christians believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) was God? (although he never made that claim)

Our preperation continued, with our efforts and the efforts of our brothers, for years and years. Through out that time we gathered, observed and waited until the moment to move arrived.

Sheikh Ahmad Yassin

SALAM MY UMMAH VISIT:
    WWW.EASY-TALK.ORG

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I read this article before in IslamOnline. And from that article i remember how that woman said that for her Jesus is divine just as every human is divine and child of God. In conclusion - typical New Age stuff.
    Episcopal Church is the same that allows homosexual marriages and gay ministries, so no wonder that this woman is one of them.
    You cant be both christian and muslim. Because if islam is true, then christianity is just a very old but misunerstood fairytale.
    And if you are a christian , Muhammed was a historical person, arabs' leader and army chief. but not prophet of God.

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aaron85 View Post
    I read this article before in IslamOnline. And from that article i remember how that woman said that for her Jesus is divine just as every human is divine and child of God. In conclusion - typical New Age stuff.
    Episcopal Church is the same that allows homosexual marriages and gay ministries, so no wonder that this woman is one of them.
    You cant be both christian and muslim. Because if islam is true, then christianity is just a very old but misunerstood fairytale.
    And if you are a christian , Muhammed was a historical person, arabs' leader and army chief. but not prophet of God.
    Oddly, I would say that if Christianity were truly followed, the people who call themselves Christian would be calling themselves Muslim as Jesus(as) brought the same message that was revealed to Muhammad(PBUH) Jesus(as) revealed it for the people of his place and time.

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

All I can say is there's a bestseller to be made of this.

Maybe.

24. Report bad ads?
    HBot 5000's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Who is Jesus?

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    This was my reply regarding this article in another forum.
    For the sake of time, I will copy and paste it here. (Sorry to anybody who has seen it already)

"The main question for this woman is who she thinks Jesus is?
    A controversial guy with a message, a prophet from God, or God himself?

Whilst this may be an attempt to highlight the similarities between the monotheistic faiths (and that's a good thing, in my opinion), it's the above question which ultimately separates the three.

If she believes that Jesus is God, her beliefs cannot possibly be compatible with Islamic teachings.
    If she doesn't believe that Jesus is God ... well, then her Christian faith may be questionable anyway ..."

Peace

agreed

Knowledge seeker

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! BOTH Muslim & Christian :o| Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. BOTH Muslim & Christian :o|