Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

U.S. Airstrike Kills 9 in Afghan Family

Report bad ads?

By CARLOTTA GALL and ABDUL WAHEED WAFA

KABUL, Afghanistan, March 5 — Nine members of a family were killed in an American airstrike in central Afghanistan, including five women and three children during a battle with militants, Afghan officials said today.

The United States military acknowledged it had dropped two 2,000 pound bombs on a compound Sunday night but said it could not confirm the casualties.

The incident came just 12 hours after American forces in eastern Afghanistan opened fire on civilians when a suicide car bomb exploded next to their convoy Sunday morning, leaving at least 10 people dead and 25 wounded, according to Afghan officials. The shooting sparked angry demonstrations that blocked the main highway Sunday.

United States forces at a small base at Tape Ahmed Beg, in Kapisa province, northeast of Kabul, called in the airstrike after coming under rocket fire around 9 p.m. local time on Sunday, the American military said in a statement. When two men with Kalashnikov rifles were spotted entering a compound, they called an airstrike on the compound, which ended the engagement, it said.

“Coalition forces observed two men with AK-47s leaving the scene of the rocket attack and entering the compound,” said Lt. Col. David Accetta, a military spokesman, said in a statement. “These men knowingly endangered civilians by retreating into a populated area while conducting attacks against coalition forces,” he said.

“We did this in self-defense,” said Gen. Muhammad Eiwaz Masloom, police chief of Kapisa Province, whose police work alongside United States forces at the base. “The enemy of Afghanistan is trying to use different tactics to destroy the peace and stability in our area, especially in the districts of Tagab and Nejarab, and they have repeatedly attacked our bases,” he said. He said members of Hesb-e-Islami, a party led by a renegade mujahedeen commander, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, and Taliban supporters were active in the area.

But a local representative of the provincial council, Suraya Bahadur, who comes from Nejarab district where the bombing occurred, condemned it. “I condemned both the suicide attacks and the rocket attacks by the enemy of Afghanistan, and also I condemn these type of mistakes,” by American and NATO forces, she said. “We never want our civilian people to be killed.”

John Sifton, senior researcher at the New York-based group Human Rights Watch, also expressed concern at the level of force used by coalition and NATO troops. “That is heavy firepower to respond to two men, even if they have Kalashnikovs,” he said in a telephone interview. “If that version of events bears up, it would strongly suggest that the attack was disproportionate.” Mr. Sifton said insurgents also regularly violate the rules of war by using force near civilian areas.

President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the killing of the civilians in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday morning in a statement from his office today. He blamed the “enemies of Afghanistan” for the suicide bombing, which “caused the American forces to fire on civilian people and demonstrators that killed 10 people.” He ordered a high-level government delegation to the scene to conduct a joint investigation with the United States military.

In a statement, the United States military lowered its own account of the death toll to 8 civilians killed and 35 wounded, (down from 16 dead and 24 wounded), saying that the latest figures were the most accurate it had. A spokesman at Bagram airbase, Sgt. Dean Welch, said that as the day progressed and after coordination with Afghan officials, the initial reports of 16 dead were corrected.

The statement said the United States military deeply regretted the loss of civilian life. “This attack put every innocent man, woman and child buying food or clothing in the bazaar at risk,” Army Col. John Nicholson, the Task Force Spartan commander, was quoted saying in the statement. United States forces would work with the Afghan authorities to “investigate and identify those responsible,” the statement said.

Nine witnesses including five Afghans recuperating from bullet wounds in the hospital told The Associated Press that American forces fired indiscriminately along at least a six-mile stretch of one of eastern Afghanistan’s busiest highways a route often filled not only with cars and trucks but Afghans on foot and bicycles.

Civilian casualties have increased in the last year as the insurgency has seen a resurgence in southern and eastern Afghanistan. Mr. Sifton of Human Rights Watch called on the Afghan government and NATO and coalition forces to sit down and work out operating procedures for troops in these circumstances in order to prevent further civilian deaths.

Source http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/wo...gewanted=print

2. Report bad ads?
    'Abd al-Baari's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    al-Taalib
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: U.S. Airstrike Kills 9 in Afghan Family

So sad to hear
    Jazakalah for sharing

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Scores killed as Shiite pilgrims targeted again in Iraq
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

Attacks on Shiite pilgrims en route to the Iraqi holy city of Karbala continued into a third day as bombings killed 15 people Wednesday in Baghdad, police said.
    A suicide car bomber struck an Iraqi police checkpoint as pilgrims walked in southwestern Baghdad's Saydiya neighborhood, killing eight -- seven police and a pilgrim -- and wounding 25 -- 15 police and 10 pilgrims, a Baghdad police official said

NobleMuslimUK's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

May Allah SWT bless the martyred Afghan Family.
    The cowardly occupying kuffar forces will certainly use heavy firepower its the least you can expect from them and one day Inshallah they will be shamefully kicked out or die a shameful death, unless their hearts embrace Islam, then Allah SWT may forgive those.

6. Report bad ads?
    mahdisoldier19's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    Scores killed as Shiite pilgrims targeted again in Iraq
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

Attacks on Shiite pilgrims en route to the Iraqi holy city of Karbala continued into a third day as bombings killed 15 people Wednesday in Baghdad, police said.
    A suicide car bomber struck an Iraqi police checkpoint as pilgrims walked in southwestern Baghdad's Saydiya neighborhood, killing eight -- seven police and a pilgrim -- and wounding 25 -- 15 police and 10 pilgrims, a Baghdad police official said
    What Does this have to do with Afghanistan? What? What are you trying to prove? Ok We understand this happened in Iraq but what does this have to do with what occurred in Afghanistan?

You bring a different subject, at least leave a comment of condolences rather than talking about another situation at another time.

ManchesterFolk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19 View Post
    What Does this have to do with Afghanistan? What? What are you trying to prove? Ok We understand this happened in Iraq but what does this have to do with what occurred in Afghanistan?

You bring a different subject, at least leave a comment of condolences rather than talking about another situation at another time.
    It is very relevant. You see, the only posts that come from you is the killing of 9 people by USA forces which is very sad indeed. Now I would like to think you would post when Muslims kill 15 people but we both know you would never post anything that would put Muslims in a bad light, and the reason you posted this is to attack USA soldiers not mourn the victims. When 9 die from Taliban attacks on girls schools you do not mourn them, nor post them, nor even care, you deny them.

That was the point of his post I believe.

Now after saying that, I hope the 9 people killed are in heaven and I hope the criminals who killed them are brought to justice.

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk View Post
    It is very relevant. You see, the only posts that come from you is the killing of 9 people by USA forces which is very sad indeed. Now I would like to think you would post when Muslims kill 15 people but we both know you would never post anything that would put Muslims in a bad light, and the reason you posted this is to attack USA soldiers not mourn the victims. When 9 die from Taliban attacks on girls schools you do not mourn them, nor post them, nor even care, you deny them.

Now after saying that, I hope the 9 people killed are in heaven and I hope the criminals who killed them are brought to justice.
    Who are you to know my true intentions? You do not know me, nor do assume that you do.

The point of post was to make the Board understand that Aerial bombing is not the way that will solve problems in Afghanistan, it is face to face contact with the people, not by dropping 2,000 ib bombs.

Do not ever assume that you know what i think, You don't know me

I mourn the victims.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dont assume what others think, when u dont know. Why do some people get an itch suddenly? If someone wants to post an article, go ahead. But theres no need to hijack this or other ones. So much for pre conceived notions.

Anyways, May Allah have mercy on the family, Ameen.

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*

Al_Imaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

isn't that being done to muslims all over the world....in my opinion, it's mostly the opposite, no offence to anyone .....and no one is aware of anyone's intentions....so lets not make false assumptions and accusations....May Allah reward those who are striving in his way....and guide those who r going astray....and may Allah (swt) bless the family....Ameen
    Last edited by Al_Imaan; 03-08-2007 at 02:59 AM.

wwwislamicboardcom - U.S. Airstrike Kills 9 in Afghan Family

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Show me this article i would like to see this About the Taliban attacking "girls schools"

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^i wouldn't need to see proof to accept that....and btw i think we're getting of topic....
    Last edited by Al_Imaan; 03-08-2007 at 03:14 AM.

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by al_imaan_786 View Post
    ^^i wouldn't even need to see prove to accept that....and btw i think we're getting of topic....
    Sister Please At least have some respect on this thread, I can easily refute you with your claims of Ahmed Shah Masood and the Northern Alliance, i will do so another time.

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well bro, ur obviously trying to change my mind....which is not gonna happen.....and i never said anything disrespectful.......and we are gettin off topic....so back to this....

By CARLOTTA GALL and ABDUL WAHEED WAFA

KABUL, Afghanistan, March 5 — Nine members of a family were killed in an American airstrike in central Afghanistan, including five women and three children during a battle with militants, Afghan officials said today...................

snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mahdisoldier19 View Post
    The point of post was to make the Board understand that Aerial bombing is not the way that will solve problems in Afghanistan, it is face to face contact with the people, not by dropping 2,000 ib bombs.
    I mourn the victims.
    i agree. we make more enemies daily.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - U.S. Airstrike Kills 9 in Afghan Family

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The headline might have read (in an alternate universe)

9 members of Afghan family killed when cowardly Taliban fighters knowingly and indescriminately engage NATO forces from a building known by the Taliban to shelter civilians

After all, the Taliban are the locals. They speak the language. They had time to reconoiter their ambush spot. They are the ones who put the civilians in harm's way. They are now dead, which is all well and good, but their actions are the proximate cause of 9 civilian deaths, which is very bad.

As for Mahdisoldier's point of view re. the Taliban being some kind of secret....that is rich..... :laugh:

" Who are you to know my true intentions? You do not know me, nor do assume that you do." :laugh: :laugh:

You really should look into a carreer in comedy writing.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^Nah, ur doing a better job. She was serious, ur just being inexcusably lame and sarcastic.

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti View Post
    The headline might have read (in an alternate universe)

9 members of Afghan family killed when cowardly Taliban fighters knowingly and indescriminately engage NATO forces from a building known by the Taliban to shelter civilians

After all, the Taliban are the locals. They speak the language. They had time to reconoiter their ambush spot. They are the ones who put the civilians in harm's way. They are now dead, which is all well and good, but their actions are the proximate cause of 9 civilian deaths, which is very bad.

As for Mahdisoldier's point of view re. the Taliban being some kind of secret....that is rich..... :laugh:

" Who are you to know my true intentions? You do not know me, nor do assume that you do." :laugh: :laugh:

You really should look into a carreer in comedy writing.
    To be honest bro i have done some standups, i really think i will go in the comedy field. Its one of my favorite hobbies Oh Jolly!

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
    ^^Nah, ur doing a better job. She was serious, ur just being inexcusably lame and sarcastic.
    who was being lame and sarcastic?...and who was serious?

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah Do not disrespect my sister Al Iman 786, If it wasn't towards her then i take it back but if it was, don't disrespect the sister.

24. Report bad ads?
    MTAFFI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree with you, what about the Taliban who so carelessly and cowardly decided to hide amongst civilians and got these people killed? No you just hear

format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK View Post
    May Allah SWT bless the martyred Afghan Family.
    The cowardly occupying kuffar forces will certainly use heavy firepower its the least you can expect from them and one day Inshallah they will be shamefully kicked out or die a shameful death, unless their hearts embrace Islam, then Allah SWT may forgive those.

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    - Bertrand Russell

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the
    enemy." - George Washington

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! U.S. Airstrike Kills 9 in Afghan Family Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. U.S. Airstrike Kills 9 in Afghan Family