Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Flying and praying

Report bad ads?

Assalamu alaikum,

Just wondering, what are you supposed to do if you are flying during the time to do salat? But, not just a short flight, one that would be 15 hours, and would take you back in time about 13 hours. Would you pray by the time of where you left from, or would you just pray when you arrive, since it would probably still be okay local time? Or do you do it twice? Also, what about when you fly back the other direction, and you actually lose 12 or 13 hours of your day, when do you pray then? Just because I'm hoping to fly to Canada, and am wondering what to do.

Thanks!
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Flying and praying

pray at time approximation like if where youre at the sun is just setting then its magrib time, pray maghrib.
    to qibla, well its pretty much guess, now since planes have that tracker thing you can pretty much extimate which way is makkah and pray towards there. ive found the air hosts/hostesses are very accommodating alhumdulillah and let you pray in the back no problem (cant say for every airline but the ones ive tried have been fine)
    Flying and praying

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar
    chat Quote

tw009's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If you will be staying in Canada for 15 days or less, then you will be considered a Musafir (traveler) and you can perform Qasr. Zohar, Asr and Isha are shortened to 2 Rakats from 4 Rakats and Fajr and Maghrib remain the same. You are also allowed to combine prayers.
    chat Quote

Amanda's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks... but what about the time difference? When I basically live 12 hours twice going one way, do I pray twice? And what about when I lose 12 hours? How do I make those up?
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^^ ukhtee which flight are you using.
    Flying and praying

heart 1 - Flying and praying

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's not booked yet as we are waiting on visa stuff... but insha'allah we will fly from HK to Toronto... and there is a 12 hour time difference, and it's about a 15 hour flight. It's so confusing, and the time difference thing really messes with my head, and then even trying to understand when to pray is more than I can figure out.
    chat Quote

Danah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    protectedpearls.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

check this out sis, you may get what you want.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/82536
    Flying and praying

Visit my website
    ProtectedPearls.com

Your way to find the truth

Follow us on:

YouTube
    Twitter
    Facebook

chat Quote

syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    It's not booked yet as we are waiting on visa stuff... but insha'allah we will fly from HK to Toronto... and there is a 12 hour time difference, and it's about a 15 hour flight. It's so confusing, and the time difference thing really messes with my head, and then even trying to understand when to pray is more than I can figure out.
    aww... don't worry.

http://www.islam.ca/answers.php?id=644
    I will be traveling and the airplane flight will be 17 hours long. I will be on the plane at zuhr time (i.e. I will be leaving at zuhr time) Since I will be crossing over different time zones and the flight is very long, I am confused about exactly when i am supposed to pray. Do I just go by the time of where I am leaving from? Or do I leave a certain amount of time between each combined/shortened prayer?
    Question number: 644
    Date posted: 2004-06-15
    Answer:
    In this case the most practical thing to do is to follow the timings of your point of departure until such time that you have arrived at your final destination if you are not stopping over in between. If, however, you are stopping over at a third point, then while you are there you should follow the local timings and continue to follow the same until you have arrived at your final destination.

Let me illustrate this as follows: Suppose you are flying to India or any point in the Middle East such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, etc, via London or Paris, you should follow the timings of Toronto until you have landed in London or Paris; from that point onwards until you have arrived at your destination, follow the timings of London or Paris. What I normally do in this case is I would pray both zuhr and asr at home combined (assuming I am starting at the time of zuhr); then pray both maghrib and isha in the flight; both of them as jam' and qasr; then finally I would pray my fajr in the flight before landing in London. While in London I would pray my zuhr and asr as jam' and qasr; I would do the same with Magrhib and Isha, etc., etc., until I have landed.

If, on the other hand, there is no stopping anywhere since it is a non-stop flight of seventeen hours then you should simply follow the timings of Toronto until you have landed in your final destination.

You need not confuse yourself or be overly concerned about some mix-up in timings due to divergent time zones. It is a source of great relief for us to know that Islam is a simple and natural religion; we are required only to do what we can do in a given situation according to our best means. The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "Remain conscious of Allah, according to the best of your ability."

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/traveler_salat.shtml
    http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/showthread.php?p=32021
    http://infad.usim.edu.my/modules.php...ticle&sid=5199
    Flying and praying

heart 1 - Flying and praying

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks for all the help.
    chat Quote

12. Hide
Hey there! Flying and praying Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Flying and praying