Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Reading prayer from a piece of paper

Report bad ads?

Asalaam Alaikum
    I have one more question I am a very new muslim and have'nt learnt the whole prayer of by heart yet another sister sent me an email telling me what to say till I learn the full prayer but I was wondering if it is permisable to write the whole prayer on a piece of paper and read from it bit by bit as I am praying because this way I think I will learn quicker.
    Fiaman allah
    :sister: Sarah
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    songinwind's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Reading prayer from a piece of paper

format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_sarah View Post
    Asalaam Alaikum
    I have one more question I am a very new muslim and have'nt learnt the whole prayer of by heart yet another sister sent me an email telling me what to say till I learn the full prayer but I was wondering if it is permisable to write the whole prayer on a piece of paper and read from it bit by bit as I am praying because this way I think I will learn quicker.
    Fiaman allah
    :sister: Sarah

Sister, I don't know if this is right or not..But I also have to do the same, and was taught the prayers, in arabic..each time, I find myself "knowing by heart" a lot of the words...and know all the moves now,,alhamdolillah..
    So, I too have to do as you do

001:2 Praise be to Allah,
    cherisher,
    and Sustainer
    of the worlds....
    chat Quote

cool_jannah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sister
    Allahu'alam..Allah knows best. I think you should ask some good scholar...asking questions regarding the massail in deen in forums like these is not a very wise thing to do...forums are not the best source to learn deen from...
    may Allah accept your struggle and make it easy for you.
    chat Quote

Halima's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalaam Alaykum sister.

Just a helpful suggestion- instead of holding a peice of paper why not hold the Quran and read from it? I have found a fatwa that states it is permissable to read from the Quran during prayer however, there are some obstacles when you do that please read:

• A worshipper can hold the Qur’ân to follow the reading of the imam in prayer if there is a need for it. This would be because the imam has a weak memory and has to delegate one of the worshippers to follow along with his reading in case he makes some mistake.

• Otherwise, I do not think that a worshipper in prayer should follow the imam’s recitation by reading from the Qur’ân. This is because, by doing so, he has to leave out certain desirable practices in his prayer and engage in other things that are undesirable. For instance:

• 1. Holding the Qur’ân in prayer prevents the worshiper from placing his right hand over his left while standing, though this is a Sunnah act of prayer.

• 2. It prevents him from looking at the place of prostration while he is standing in prayer, which is also a Sunnah act.

• 3. It forces the worshipper to make many extraneous and unnecessary movements, such as opening and closing the Qur’ân and putting it somewhere, like under his arm, when he bows, prostrates, and the like.

• Scholars say that any movement in prayer that is unnecessary is something disliked, since it detracts from the worshipper’s humility and concentration.

• Some scholars have even said that the unnecessary movements of the eyes are enough to invalidate the person’s prayer. The eyes have to follow along with the recitation, moving from right to left and from line of text to line of text. Due to the amount of words he will have to read, this adds up to a lot of unnecessary movement, enough to invalidate the prayer.

• Therefore, my advice to my fellow Muslims is to avoid this practice, and instead, concentrate on improving their concentration and their humility in prayer.

for more info please visit www.islamtoday.com

Do your charity in the name of Da'wah and help us out

Insha'Allah Khair.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    muslimah_sarah's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam
    Jazakallah kayran for your replys and for the fatwa you found sis do you know of any good websites where I could ask a scholar of Islam this question where I would get a quick reply I do not want to make my prayer invalid.
    Fiaman allah
    Sarah
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

chat Quote

abdul Majid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    "He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah." [Qur’aan 4:80]
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salam alakum

the faster you learn sis the better...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Halima View Post

• A worshipper can hold the Qur’ân to follow the reading of the imam in prayer if there is a need for it. This would be because the imam has a weak memory and has to delegate one of the worshippers to follow along with his reading in case he makes some mistake.
    ^^^ just made my point. sister Halima I understand your willingness to help others, but I seriously think that it is not allowed to read from the Quran while praying(in general)...there were no Qurans at the time of the Prophet of Allah ...i dont think there is any daleel for the fatwa which says it is allowed to hold the Quran in salaah...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Brother.

format_quote Originally Posted by cool_jannah View Post
    ^^^ just made my point. sister Halima I understand your willingness to help others, but I seriously think that it is not allowed to read from the Quran while praying(in general)...there were no Qurans at the time of the Prophet of Allah ...i dont think there is any daleel for the fatwa which says it is allowed to hold the Quran in salaah...

I don't think it is wise for you to base your own judgement on such cases. (Good precaution but not at the right time). I have provided the daleeel from an authentic and reliable website that does not give me any bad conscience that their fatwas are corrupted. The fatwa states that it is allowed, however, it is not suggestable as I have mentioned earlier. Now, as you can see this clearly gives you the option of wether to follow this or not. The fatwa that I have presented never stated that it was obligatory for one to hold the quran whilst praying. If you choose not to do than fine. Alhamdulilah. Howveer, If you choose to do that please bear in mind that it is permitted however it is not suggestable. I strongly emphasize the word not suggestable.

That is why many scholars think it is better not to do that, but it is allowed as stated in the fatwa as I have clearly presented. If it didn't say that it was allowed then I wouldn't have showed it to her and told her that it wasn't allowed. Her question was wether to hold a peice of paper while praying. This fatwa that I have found said holding a quran while praying why should she hold a piece of paper when she is allowed to hold the Quran?
    Last edited by Halima; 02-17-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Insha'Allah Khair.

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Rabi'ya's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Revert4Life
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

when i learnt to pray, I had a piece of paper in front of me with the arabic and english underneat. So while i was reading the arabic, i coudl see the translation of what i was reading. this way the prayer actually meant somthing to me. I learnt it very quickly. maybe within a week of readingfrom the paper. sometimes i would refer to it to make sure i was saying everything right.

Nowadays I try to learn surahs this way too as i find it really easy.

Alhamdulillah i have the best of intentions and I pray that Allah accepts that of me.

Good luck with your learning sis, May Allah help u, ameen

Rabi'ya:rose:

rose4 1 - Reading prayer from a piece of paper
    chat Quote

Hajar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya View Post

when i learnt to pray, I had a piece of paper in front of me with the arabic and english underneat. So while i was reading the arabic, i coudl see the translation of what i was reading. this way the prayer actually meant somthing to me. I learnt it very quickly. maybe within a week of readingfrom the paper. sometimes i would refer to it to make sure i was saying everything right.

Yes sister .. my best friend who just reverted to Islam is learing in the same way! And its all about ur intensions right.. you trying to learn and if this is the best way for you to do it, then why not??

“The best type of jihaad is the jihaad of the one who strives against his own self (jihaad al-nafs) for the sake of Allaah.”
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hajar View Post

Yes sister .. my best friend who just reverted to Islam is learing in the same way! And its all about ur intensions right.. you trying to learn and if this is the best way for you to do it, then why not??

I had to learn the hard way (negative reinforcement) of course. If I didn't learn I wouldn't have been able to pray. I must say that I never learned from paper I had to memorize it by my own head and up til this day it sticks with me. Personally I prefer to memorize it rather then reading from paper because eventually your gonna have to memorize it.

Insha'Allah Khair.

chat Quote

Hajar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Halima View Post
    I had to learn the hard way (negative reinforcement) of course. If I didn't learn I wouldn't have been able to pray. I must say that I never learned from paper I had to memorize it by my own head and up til this day it sticks with me. Personally I prefer to memorize it rather then reading from paper because eventually your gonna have to memorize it.

Ofcours.. but its in the beginning.. to get used to it. Its just for safety! But not meant to use this everytime you pray.
    Its only for a certain time, until ur sure you memorized it perfectly. So that you will be able to pray without it as your goal.

“The best type of jihaad is the jihaad of the one who strives against his own self (jihaad al-nafs) for the sake of Allaah.”
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Mashallah
    May Allah accept your deeds and true intention
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    shorouk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

yes sarah its ok to that until u memorize it...
    btw welcome to islam!
    chat Quote

20. Hide
Hey there! Reading prayer from a piece of paper Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Reading prayer from a piece of paper