× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 22 visibility 3574

Spanish town bans niqaab.

Tawangar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thumbs down Spanish town bans niqaab.

Report bad ads?

The Muslim News

Spain: City in northeast becomes country's first to ban niqab

11-12-2010

Madrid, (AKI): Lleida in the northeastern Catalonia region on Thursday became Spain's first city to introduce a ban on wearing the face-covering Islamic burqa in public places.

These places include offices, sports centres, markets and other property owned by the city council. The niqab - which covers the face but leaves a small slit for the eyes - has also been banned.

"I feel proud of the fact that Lleida has become the first Spanish city to outlaw behaviour which discriminates against women," said the city's mayor, Angel Ros. "I hope it will be of educational value," he added.

The ban, which was approved by the council in May, is largely symbolic, as Muslims make up just 3 percent of Lleida's population, and there are only a handful of women living there who wear the burqa and the niqab.
    Under the municipal bylaw banning the face-covering garments, women who wear them in a public place will have to reveal their identity. If they refuse, they face fines ranging from 30 to 600 euros.

Other cities in the autonomous Catalonia region, including the capital, Barcelona, are mulling burqa bans.

And the central government has in recent months been working on legislation covering religious symbols, which could outlaw the burqa throughout Spain, home to a million Muslims.

In neighbouring France, the national parliament in September outlawed the burqa and veils which cover the face. Women there can be fined or jailed for wearing such garments.

The same month, two separate bills were presented in the upper and lower houses of the Italian parliament which aim to end the wearing of burqas and face-covering garments in Italy on security grounds.

Many Muslim immigrants oppose such bans on the grounds that they limit religious freedom.

The Muslim News
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Spanish town bans niqaab.

Salaam,

I wonder what they will ban next.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

nature's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

personally i dont wear it, but i have a lot of respect for women that do. I remember, how mortified i was, wen i heard rumours of banning the hijab, in the UK. I think its only a matter of time, before other countries follow the niqab ban.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The ummah is, and has been asleep for a long time. There's little to wonder, how easily people take advantage of the situation.

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^

What do you think should have been done to prevent this?

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Lynx's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

europe sucks. bunch of racists who wouldn't know what or how important freedom is if they were slapped in the face with a copy of On Liberty

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    -Plato
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow View Post
    ^

What do you think should have been done to prevent this?
    The problem of materialism is responsible, so "trying to follow" the guidance of Allah and Rasool , is the way out of this problem.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by أحمد View Post

The problem of materialism is responsible, so "trying to follow" the guidance of Allah and Rasool , is the way out of this problem.

Do you mean that if the Muslims in general were less materialistic and followed Islam correctly, then there would not have been a ban on the Niqaab?

I think the ban was due to poor public relations between Muslims and non-Muslims in Spain.
    | Likes FS123 liked this post

chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tawangar View Post
    The ban, which was approved by the council in May, is largely symbolic, as Muslims make up just 3 percent of Lleida's population, and there are only a handful of women living there who wear the burqa and the niqab.
    What an efficient use of the time, money and resources of Lleida's local government.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Do you mean that if the Muslims in general were less materialistic and followed Islam correctly, then there would not have been a ban on the Niqaab?

I think the ban was due to poor public relations between Muslims and non-Muslims in Spain.
    Spain was once ruled by Muslims, and was lost "mainly due to" the fact that, rather than utilising most of their resources on needs; they began to get more materialistic, and into "stuff" like music. While they were at it, they slowly became a weaker force in Spain, and eventually driven out and killed.

We are reminded of the events annually, by the celebrators of "April fools day".

So yes, we as an Ummah are at least partially responsible for the problems we experience.

A true bucket is one, which is able to hold water. The ummah has been broken into too many pieces, to have any real strength to handle problems. One certainly can't be expected to "fetch water in a sieve".

We as an Ummah, need to wake up, and realise that unless we "get our acts together", its our own loss.

I'm not saying, pick a sword and strike someone- no, that'd be wrong anyway. Killing the innocent is haraam, which is one point that people sometimes fail to realise. So, when they think they've finally woken up; they've actually "lost the plot", and have failed to recognise Islam.

Islam is about justice, so if you're working at a butchers shop; weigh the meat after cutting it. Islam is about submitting yourself to Allah, so next time one wishes to show off their perfectly prayed nawaafil to their friends; one must think, "am I praying with submission to Allah, or to impress these people?". Above all, as long as you're still alive; its not too late. One must'nt lose hope, in the mercy of Allah.

The account of Uhud is a great example, and with it- we can better understand our position today.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    What an efficient use of the time, money and resources of Lleida's local government.
    Quran, 8:36

8 36 1 - Spanish town bans niqaab.

Indeed, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to avert [people] from the way of Allah . So they will spend it; then it will be for them a [source of] regret; then they will be overcome. And those who have disbelieved - unto Hell they will be gathered.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Seems pretty obvious to me that you are correct.
    chat Quote

Thucydides1987's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

they began to get more materialistic, and into "stuff" like music
    But music is a beautiful form of art, with which people engage from the depths of their hearts to create. How could it be a bad thing? If you're saying that it should be banned, well then that's even worse than communism.

"So long as you are a slave to the opinions of the many you have not yet approached freedom or tasted its nectar…" -- Julian the Apostate
    chat Quote

Amira_Zelda's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ugh... and here I thought the banning of burqa and the niqab was never going to reach Spain..

.. i was wrong... i hope they dont also ban the hijab ! i dont understand what is so threatening with covering your body !??? People should just leave it alone and let these Muslim women wear what they feel is right... i will pray for my sisters in spain !!
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    almahdali's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Banning niqab itself is an act of violating human rights in fashion Secularists are so funny, they are no better than any other people with their shallow ideologies.
    | Likes Tawangar liked this post
    chat Quote

almahdali's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I just can say to the municipal authority, vosotros todos son embarazoso!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The ummah is, and has been asleep for a long time. There's little to wonder, how easily people take advantage of the situation.

Asleep?

Maybe it's Spain who woke up?
    chat Quote

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mike3449 View Post
    Asleep? Maybe it's Spain who woke up?

woke up to what exactly you twit? Maybe more of this?

inquisitionwheel 1 - Spanish town bans niqaab.
    | Likes FS123, GuestFellow liked this post

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Spanish town bans niqaab.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ View Post

woke up to what exactly you twit? Maybe more of this?

inquisitionwheel 1 - Spanish town bans niqaab.

What is that a picture of?

A Muslim torturing an infidel?
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mike3449 View Post
    What is that a picture of? A Muslim torturing an infidel?
    You've heard of the inquisition?lol, look who I am asking.. Of course not, you do get your information from pipes' excrement!

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Spanish town bans niqaab.

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Spanish town bans niqaab. Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Spanish town bans niqaab.