star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

David Cameron: What I learnt from my stay with a Muslim family

Report bad ads?

Conservative Party leader David Cameron spent 2 days staying with a Muslim family in Birmingham last week. He now says 'British Asians' are a role model for British society. He wrote this article for The Observer today. It's not clear sometimes whether he is talking about 'British Asians' or 'British Muslims' though:

What I learnt from my stay with a Muslim family
    by David Cameron, The Observer, 13 May 2007

The challenges of cohesion and integration are among the greatest we face. I wrote in these pages in January that we cannot bully people into feeling British: we have to inspire them. Last week, I spent two days staying with Abdullah and Shahida Rehman and their family in Birmingham. The experience has strengthened my conviction about the right way to build a more cohesive Britain.

First, a concerted attack on racism and soft bigotry. You can't even start to talk about a truly integrated society while people are suffering racist insults and abuse, as many still are in our country on a daily basis. We must also be careful about the language we use. No Muslim I've ever met is offended by Christmas, or supports its replacement with 'Winterval'. But many Muslims I've talked to about these issues are deeply offended by the use of the word 'Islamic' or 'Islamist' to describe the terrorist threat we face today.

We do need greater understanding of the true nature of the terrorist threat. There's too much complacency about it among non-Muslims, and too much denial of it in the Muslim community. But our efforts are not helped by lazy use of language. Indeed, by using the word 'Islamist' to describe the threat, we actually help do the terrorist ideologues' work for them, confirming to many impressionable young Muslim men that to be a 'good Muslim', you have to support their evil campaign.

There's no easy answer. I don't think this is something that can or should be addressed through a government edict, but the BBC, as our national broadcaster, has both the responsibility and the opportunity to give a lead.

The second priority for building cohesion in our country is more integration: people from different backgrounds sharing public services, neighbourhoods, social networks. As I found in Birmingham, this is something they naturally want to do, and local institutions - including religious ones - provide the opportunity.

For example, those who say that faith-based schools hinder integration are wrong. The three Muslim children in the household I stayed with go to a local faith school - a Jewish faith school, which is massively oversubscribed, has a mixed roll with some 60 per cent of pupils from Muslim families, around a third from Birmingham's Jewish community and the rest a mixture of Christians and Sikhs. My obvious question to Abdullah - why do you, a practising Muslim, send your kids to a Jewish school? - does not get just the obvious answer: good discipline and good results. On top of that, the very fact that the school has a faith and a strong ethos is seen, at least by Abdullah and his family, as a positive advantage.

And the third step in promoting integration is to ensure there's something worth integrating into. 'To make men love their country,' said Edmund Burke, 'their country ought to be lovable.' Integration has to be about more than immigrant communities, 'their' responsibilities and 'their' duties. It has to be about 'us' too - the quality of life that we offer, our society and our values.

Here the picture is bleak: family breakdown, drugs, crime and incivility are part of the normal experience of modern Britain. Many British Asians see a society that hardly inspires them to integrate. Indeed, they see aspects of modern Britain which are a threat to the values they hold dear - values which we should all hold dear. Asian families and communities are incredibly strong and cohesive, and have a sense of civic responsibility which puts the rest of us to shame. Not for the first time, I found myself thinking that it is mainstream Britain which needs to integrate more with the British Asian way of life, not the other way around.

Saying goodbye to Abdullah I was given gifts of T-shirts, shoes and a traditional robe which he said would be perfect for any visit to Pakistan. It's another reminder that integration is a two-way street. If we want to remind ourselves of British values - hospitality, tolerance and generosity to name just three - there are plenty of British Muslims ready to show us what those things really mean.

source: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comme...078446,00.html

British Asians are role models, says Cameron (May 13)
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/polit...078667,00.html

is it me or will he make a good PM?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: David Cameron: What I learnt from my stay with a Muslim family

Sounds good to me! And hes right about many things in the article.

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

Nyomi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Goo artical
    chat Quote

MTAFFI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

good article! I think that what this man is proposing is not necessarily all great, but I think he definitely has the right idea. Learning to live with one another peacefully and happily is something the world is nearly without today, in my opinion. The leaps and bounds in the transportation industry have meshed us all together so fast I think that people have simply not had enough experience with all the cultures yet to really "get along", but hopefully the more people do like this man did and actually try and learn about another culture or people, the more we will find out that our differences in skin color, language and religious background make no real difference in the type of people we are, in other words, we all really came from the same place, we all belong here on Earth and no one is better than anyone else. Our appearance and beliefs may separate us but on the inside you could not tell the difference

GREAT POST

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    - Bertrand Russell

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the
    enemy." - George Washington
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Goku's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Cameron has definately helped the Conservative party appeal to British voters. Nice article, it may be a tough choice between him and Gordon Brown in the 2009 General election, or maybe the Lib Dems will have someone more competant....

"Were they created by nothing, or were they themselves the creators?
    Or did they create the heavens and the earth?
    Nay, they have no firm belief.”
    [Holy Qur'an: 52:35-36]

Islam-A Way of Life ordained by God.
    chat Quote

'Abd al-Baari's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    al-Taalib
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Intersting article, Jazakallah Khair for sharing

chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sorry, this is completely off topic, but I noticed that the family Cameron stayed with has the name Rehman.
    Is that of Pakistani origin? And is it a common name?

Thanks

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - David Cameron: What I learnt from my stay with a Muslim family

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

khushnood's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

nice one.thanx for sharing.
    chat Quote

Dawud_uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

assalaamu alaykum,

i used to be a small time conservative political party worker and to be honest i still feel they are the best of a bad bunch but it still doesnt change things as they are still promoting kufr,

their agenda is kufr, no matter how much it is simular to our beliefs and attitudes if it does not come from the shariah it is still kufr to rule by it, to vote for it etc.

also remember they are pro-war, pro-american, have swallowed the gay lobbies agenda, so really they might be marginally better than the rest of the shower in politics but why choose them and why commit kufr by choosing a deen other than islam by going into the voting box and voting for them?

Assalaamu alaykum,
    Abu Abdullah
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Indeed, by using the word 'Islamist' to describe the threat, we actually help do the terrorist ideologues' work for them, confirming to many impressionable young Muslim men that to be a 'good Muslim', you have to support their evil campaign.

So true. About time someone figured that out.
    chat Quote

Bittersteel's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

were those Muslims putting up an act?were they liberals?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk View Post
    assalaamu alaykum,

i used to be a small time conservative political party worker and to be honest i still feel they are the best of a bad bunch but it still doesnt change things as they are still promoting kufr,

their agenda is kufr, no matter how much it is simular to our beliefs and attitudes if it does not come from the shariah it is still kufr to rule by it, to vote for it etc.

also remember they are pro-war, pro-american, have swallowed the gay lobbies agenda, so really they might be marginally better than the rest of the shower in politics but why choose them and why commit kufr by choosing a deen other than islam by going into the voting box and voting for them?

Assalaamu alaykum,
    Abu Abdullah
    Well if you want Shariah why not move to a land where you have a better chance of living under shariah? Obviously anywhere in the west is not going to be Shariah law, so then is a Muslim living in the west Kufr? It is very obvious that Muslims come from a very different culture than the rest of the world... I often feel as though Muslims wish to isolate themselves and they feel as though they are better than the rest of the world, so if this is in fact the case, why not either accept the values and lifestyle of the west and be happy when someone like this guy comes along or go to Saudia Arabia or Iran? Not trying to pick a fight, just asking a serious question

- Bertrand Russell

chat Quote

Dawud_uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI View Post
    Well if you want Shariah why not move to a land where you have a better chance of living under shariah? Obviously anywhere in the west is not going to be Shariah law, so then is a Muslim living in the west Kufr? It is very obvious that Muslims come from a very different culture than the rest of the world... I often feel as though Muslims wish to isolate themselves and they feel as though they are better than the rest of the world, so if this is in fact the case, why not either accept the values and lifestyle of the west and be happy when someone like this guy comes along or go to Saudia Arabia or Iran? Not trying to pick a fight, just asking a serious question
    no offence taken, i do certainly intend on taking myself off to live in a muslim land as soon as i have developed the necessary language and life skills i will need there.

Abu Abdullah
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dawud_uk View Post
    no offence taken, i do certainly intend on taking myself off to live in a muslim land as soon as i have developed the necessary language and life skills i will need there.

Abu Abdullah
    Oh yeah!! Sorry about that Dawud, it has been a while since I last talked to you, you told me that then too....sorry about that, glad to see you are still intending on pursuing your goal!

- Bertrand Russell

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    were those Muslims putting up an act?were they liberals?
    You mean like the majority of Muslims in the West?
    Last edited by KAding; 05-22-2007 at 09:42 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We here so often that we shouldn’t judge a group by the actions of a few. Of course this only applies when the actions are negative. Let those actions be positive and the rule no longer applies.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If people gave up these pre-Medieval fairytales and embrace science and logic, then the world would be more stable and peaceful.
    chat Quote

barney's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dave Cameron stayed with the family in order to learn more about multicultural diversity and to promote harmoney between the upper-class toffee nosed conservative snobs that vote Tory and the Ummah of Britain.

He also had a picture taken last year on a Huskey drawn sldge in order to find out about global warming.

He rides a bicycle in order to save the planet.

What a Guy!

Occupation: The term of control of a territory by foreign military forces: Iraq 2003-2005
    Liberation:when something or someone is freed: Operation Telic 2003
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wilberhum View Post
    We here so often that we shouldn’t judge a group by the actions of a few. Of course this only applies when the actions are negative. Let those actions be positive and the rule no longer applies.
    Well, yeah. It's a double standard, but it's polite, wouldn't you say? Unless you don't value giving people the benefit of the doubt.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    beespreeteam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Philosopher View Post
    If people gave up these pre-Medieval fairytales and embrace science and logic, then the world would be more stable and peaceful.
    Religion isn't against science and logic. In fact, when Islam was in it's twilight, they were a major contributer to science and everything around us today.

Don't believe me? Check out 'The Father of Chemistry'.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! David Cameron: What I learnt from my stay with a Muslim family Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. David Cameron: What I learnt from my stay with a Muslim family