× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 8 of 8 visibility 3389

University advice

unknown12's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

University advice

Report bad ads?

Salams everybody,

I will be starting university soon and just wanted some heads up, tips and advice. I will be studying a degree in Commerce inshallah, doing Accounting and Finance.

(yes I will be very selective of my friends )
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Muhammad's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: University advice

This is a very important question brother. I hope the following articles will help Insha'Allaah:

http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...s-sisters.html (Note that the UK equivalent of MSA (Muslim Students Association) is ISoc (Islamic Society)

http://www.islam21c.com/islamic-thou...e-wonder-years

May Allaah (swt) protect you and grant you success in your future, Aameen.
    University advice

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by AngelPearl View Post
    Yeah please do make good friends~ friends you can keep for life~ Life gets really lonely after university and no one tells you that!

Stay well away from people who want to use you for work and want to steal your notes. Yeah it's nice letting them borrow them a few times....but not when they're the sort that miss lectures to party or go out and then end up getting marks than you!
    Salams, exact advice given my brother. He had a bad experience with a certain group of 'muslim' friends who ended up being trashy, and basically used him for his work; now he emphasises to me most of the time dont get too close to people, keep a distance 'do your thing and go back home'.

I too hope I do get long term friends but I doubt that will happen as I'll just be doing first year uni and moving off to another university.
    | Likes Bint-e-Adam liked this post
    chat Quote

Iqra101's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The 2 courses I dreaded where both Accounting and Finance. My uni. didnt have the best of professors teaching these fields. As well as what Unknown 12 has said, there are those who show off to be sooo high in Islam but are actually the opposite. Dont be deceived by looks as they are the biggest deceptions around. readquranonline.net
    | Likes unknown12 liked this post
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Musaafirah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Miss. Serious ^_^
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Avoid freemixing.
    Avoid freemixing.
    Avoid freemixing.

Seriously though, make sure you remember the purpose of why you're at uni and make sure you stay focused insha'allah.
    When unsure of whatever has happened during a lecture and you feel too shy to ask in front of everyone else, quickly jot the notes down and ask the lecturer at the end of the session, it's very easy to get caught up in writing notes and forgetting the question you may want to ask.
    Good luck!
    University advice

I Loves chocolate I does..
    chat Quote

Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Should've joined a computing class...hardly any women in there..just some hungry dudes who, when they see a girl mistakenly walk in the class, scream and say 'hey don't leave us..come to the class..where are you going?..you don't do computing?...hey!'.

When it's exam time...study in seclusion for the first few days..perhaps weeks, and then meet up with your class mates and see if you know more than them..if you don't, extract all their information and go back into seclusion and study hard until you match their knowledge...
    Last edited by Cabdullahi; 01-09-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Iqra101 View Post
    The 2 courses I dreaded where both Accounting and Finance. My uni. didnt have the best of professors teaching these fields. As well as what Unknown 12 has said, there are those who show off to be sooo high in Islam but are actually the opposite. Dont be deceived by looks as they are the biggest deceptions around. readquranonline.net
    Oh really? Yeah I've heard that Accounting and Finance is boring. However it was one of my top scoring subjects in year 12 .

Yeah probably because of the lecturers, I hope my lecturers are good, sure they will be..

Yep, if I do happen to make a 'suspicious' friend, I will try my best to get as far away as possible as I can lol. Even if that means changing my lecturer times...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah View Post
    Avoid freemixing.
    Avoid freemixing.
    Avoid freemixing.

Seriously though, make sure you remember the purpose of why you're at uni and make sure you stay focused insha'allah.
    When unsure of whatever has happened during a lecture and you feel too shy to ask in front of everyone else, quickly jot the notes down and ask the lecturer at the end of the session, it's very easy to get caught up in writing notes and forgetting the question you may want to ask.
    Good luck!
    Hmm yeah sister, however as much as you want to avoid something, it finds you. Ofcourse I will try my best to abstain from freemixing, however from day 1 you will have to interact with the opposite gender e.g. introduce yourself. (from what I've heard, lecturer says ok now introduce yourself to your partner next door, and then bang, you've made a friend who may or may not be of the opposite gender. I'm hoping to keep such a friendship as professional as possible and even avoid contact outside of university/classes if I can (make up excuses like I gotta go home lol).

Ah yeah nice tip. I'm not one to ask questions smh, I'd rather bang my head against a wall for like 1 hour trying to figure something out, then ask for help... But yeah good tip thank you.
    chat Quote

11. Hide
Hey there! University advice Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. University advice