× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 8 of 8 visibility 1637

Trowbridge in Wiltshire first in Britain to be twinned with Muslim Arab town

brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

The Wiltshire town of Trowbridge has become the first in Britain to be twinned with a Muslim Arab town.

Trowbridge has officially been twinned with the Moroccan city of Oujda in reflection of its large Moroccan community.

Trowbridge's Moroccan Partnership Steering Group Chairman Cllr Bob Brice, said: "Hopefully we can show the rest of the country how Muslim and Christian communities can get on together."

Abdel Boutarfas, chairman of the Trowbridge Moroccan Community Association, said: "Having a twinning between a west country town and a Muslim town is significantly important. It can only help to break down barriers and have benefits for the local people in Trowbridge as well as those of Moroccan origin.

"I think it really puts Trowbrige on the map."

The Moroccan population in Trowbridge is second only to that in London with about 80 families in the town.

Many families came to the town in the 1960s in response to a need for workers at mattress maker Airsprung and food producer Bowyers.

A delegation from Trowbridge, including the mayor, went to Oudja in January to sign the twinning charter.

The town has a population of about 500,000 and is close to Algerian border.

Trowbridge is already twinned with Leer, Germany, Charenton-Le-Pont, France, and, along with the four other west Wiltshire towns, the Polish district of Elblag.

Source

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Trowbridge in Wiltshire first in Britain to be twinned with Muslim Arab town

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude View Post
    What exactly does twinning involve?
    Beats me. palizaconsilla7eo 1 - Trowbridge in Wiltshire first in Britain to be twinned with Muslim Arab town

My own town is apparently twinned with three other towns but it's never been clear to me exactly what that entails.

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

Al-Zaara's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    made of awesome.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Trowbridge in Wiltshire first in Britain to be twinned with Muslim Arab town

City and town twinning

A sort of partnership apparently. Similiar I believe some Universities have with other Universities. Or schools in general, for example.
    Last edited by Al-Zaara; 03-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.

If only I had checked myself
    Guy who wrecked himself

True leaders don't create followers...
    .... They create new leaders.
    chat Quote

north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

George Town, Malaysia is a twin city of Adelaide, Australia.

The reason: George Town was founded by the father, Sir Francis Light in 1786 and Adelaide was founded by the son, Colonel William Light in 1836.

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude View Post
    I hate to be cynical, but it seems to be just a few expenses paid 'fact-finding' tours by local politicians and unelected officials, and the occasional 'cultural' event to justify them.

I suppose there's some cross-tourism, but I honestly can't see many of the good people of Oujda wanting to visit Trowbridge. Still, it is quite pretty around there and there's a fair bit to see and do if you travel a few miles.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well all I can say is bravo Trowbridge, Wiltshire, wherever that is.
    chat Quote

MO783's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

cool
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dudette View Post
    Confused Sat-Navs?
    chat Quote

11. Hide
Hey there! Trowbridge in Wiltshire first in Britain to be twinned with Muslim Arab town Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Trowbridge in Wiltshire first in Britain to be twinned with Muslim Arab town