star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

those who say deen is in the heart

Report bad ads?

What is the meaning of those who say deen is in my heart, without any outward actions? I.e. Shaving the beard, not wearing the hijaab??
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Re.TiReD's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    LI Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: those who say deen is in the heart

yeah but once it's in the heart doesnt it work outwards? i.e. hijab, beard, manner of speaking, actions e.t.c I think Imaan must start in the heart, otherwise it's not sincere Allahu A'lam

s a b r
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So if someone says the shahadah, prays, fasts and fulfils the other five pillars, they'll have wasted their time unless they have a beard or wear the hijab?
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As a revert I find Islam to be a religion of continuous growth. We continue to find new challanges and as we fulfill one area we have the strength to continue onward. We begin simply with the Shahadah and for a while are comfortable in feeling that is truly being a Muslim. Then we begin to take our prayers seriously and again we feel, that is being a true Muslim next we start to practice the pillars to the best of our ability and so on through the rest of our life. As we age we never grow old as we always have future growth in front of us.

We have a very youthful religion. None of us will ever achieve old age in it as we will never stop learning and growing. We all age and grow at different rates.

A 12 year old with much to learn is just as much of a Muslim as the 90 year old scholar who knows and has done very much.

Deen has to be in our heart, as we will never complete it in our deeds and words.

Herman 1 - those who say deen is in the heart

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

from what youve said excluding your ie part, you are describing the murjiahs? who are people that separate iman from actions..ie you only need to believe in Allah and your entrance to paradise is garaunteed no matter what your actions...

and Allah knows best
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by amani View Post

from what youve said excluding your ie part, you are describing the murjiahs? who are people that separate iman from actions..ie you only need to believe in Allah and your entrance to paradise is garaunteed no matter what your actions...

and Allah knows best
    Far from that. High Iman is going to guarantee a person does actions. How can a person seperate Iman from deeds? When the 2 become seperate the Iman is not there. But, we are individuals and we all have limitations we can only achieve what we are capable of knowing and physicaly able to do, and with those tools our Iman will demand we do the best we can. we do not know why some people do not do some of the external, visible things. But, if they are not done because of limitations, perhaps the person is doing the best he can.

Using myself as an example. I look odd because I do not have a beard at my age. However, because of my ethnic back ground I can not grow a beard. Best I can do is a scraggly mustache and we are supposed to keep that trimmed off.

Herman 1 - those who say deen is in the heart

chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    Far from that. High Iman is going to guarantee a person does actions. How can a person seperate Iman from deeds? When the 2 become seperate the Iman is not there. .

i wasnt stating my opinion i was stating what the murjiahs believe and that is
    iman and actions are separate and one needs to only believe...
    chat Quote

Fishman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Post Re: those who say deen is in the heart

format_quote Originally Posted by jihaadu nafs View Post
    What is the meaning of those who say deen is in my heart, without any outward actions? I.e. Shaving the beard, not wearing the hijaab??

Deen means way of life, it's not about the heart. But it depends on the heart quite a lot. If you don't have the pure intentions, growing a beard or wearing Hijab is pointless. But if you do willingly choose not to do outward things like have a beard, then you do not have pure intentions.

wwwislamicboardcom - those who say deen is in the heart
    chat Quote

habiibti's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu aleikum

How can one separate iman from actions? There are millions who have said da shahada but do nothing to enforce it.I mean yes intention is important but without action u got nothing on da other hand an action without da intention is useless.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Bint Abdusattar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The word 'deen' is Arabic and actually means 'Way of life' rather than 'religeon'. So from this we should understand that Islam should be in our hearts, our behaviour and our looks. if something is in the heart and not being reflected in out physical life, then what is the point of having that thing in the heart? That thing in the heart cannot be serious then can it?

SMILE! ALLAH LOVES YOU
    chat Quote

Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Imaan composes of beliefs and actions. You'll notice in the Qur'an whenever Allaah mentions Iman, he will mention good deeds along with it because the two are insperatable. How can one claim to be a muslim and not practice the religion?

47: 2. But those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and believe in that which is sent down to Muhammad (SAW), for it is the truth from their Lord, He will expiate from them their sins, and will make good their state.

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

AabiruSabeel's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    عـــابر سبيـــل
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

حدثنا أبو نعيم حدثنا زكرياء عن عامر قال سمعت النعمان بن بشير يقول سمعت رسول الله صلى اللهم عليه وسلم يقول الحلال بين والحرام بين وبينهما مشبهات لا يعلمها كثير من الناس فمن اتقى المشبهات استبرأ لدينه وعرضه ومن وقع في الشبهات كراع يرعى حول الحمى يوشك أن يواقعه ألا وإن لكل ملك حمى ألا إن حمى الله في أرضه محارمه ألا وإن في الجسد مضغة إذا صلحت صلح الجسد كله وإذا فسدت فسد الجسد كله ألا وهي القلب
    Narrated An-Nu'man bin Bashir:
    I heard Allah's Apostle saying, 'Both legal and illegal things are evident but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor. And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it. (O people!) Beware! Every king has a Hima and the Hima of Allah on the earth is His illegal (forbidden) things. Beware! There is a piece of flesh in the body if it becomes good (reformed) the whole body becomes good but if it gets spoilt the whole body gets spoilt and that is the heart.

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 1, Book 2, Number 49

In Islam, we have to proclaim by the tongue, Believe by heart and display by the actions.

Last edited by AabiruSabeel; 01-23-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i think those who say that are lazy (astagfirullaah)

but its like saying:

ye man i said it, i feel it, u cant see it, but i got it, you dont think so? prove it, its in my heart, i dont have to show you, now go away while i drink this beer... astagfirullaah!!

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Iman increases by doing good deeds and decreases by sinning. How then can a person have high iman if they do no actions?

Honestly, people who say that outward actions are not important have a lot to learn about Islam!

wwwislamicboardcom - those who say deen is in the heart
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    MinAhlilHadeeth's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    So if someone says the shahadah, prays, fasts and fulfils the other five pillars, they'll have wasted their time unless they have a beard or wear the hijab?

The obligation of the Muslim is more than the arkaan ul islam. Both the growing of the beard for men and wearing hijab for women is fardh. Unless one repents, you will be held accountable for that unless Allah bestows His Mercy and Forgiveness upon you.
    chat Quote

ABWAN's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salam,
    Good question. As someone pointed out, its a step by step process. Iman doesnt come all of a sudden, it kinda grows into you.

But I believe you have missed the other part of the question, which is - What to do with those who merely portray themselves as muslims outwardly, while they aren't sound enough inside? Like, I have come across so many, who have a beard and act islamically, while they lie, act selfishly and do all kinds of things that wouldnt necessarily reflect their iman and make you doubt it.

The real answer, IMO, is that neither you nor me have the right to decide on anything about them. There is a hadith (not sure if its authentic) that says that the first person who would enter hell is a shaheed, who died just to show off. The next would be a scholar who did everything for fame and the next would be a Hafiz(of course being a muslim, they would, at some point enter Heaven through the mercy of Allah). So if this is the case for such people, how can we decide anything about anyone, if we know for sure that Allah is the best judge?
    chat Quote

Umar001's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well ignorance is not an escuse for people who are in a muslim community and general things.

So if one does not wear hijab, and they pray, then will their prayer be accepted?

So then if their prayers are not accepted then will they keep being muslim?

Also, for those thinking about Eeman,

heres something:

Al Eeman is the testification of the tongue, belief in the heart, and actions of the limbs. It increases with obedience and decreases with dsiobidience.

Taken from Beneficial Speech In Establishing The Evidences Of Tawheed, By By Shaykh Muhammad Bin Abdil-Wahhaab Al-Wasaabee.
    Last edited by Umar001; 01-23-2007 at 03:44 PM.

The path is long but I hope we meet,
    After the grave and the Day, in paradise in bliss upon a reclined seat.

A traveler traveling - travelled from shirk to tawheed,
    If I'm remembered for anything - let it be the Mercy I seek.

Your Bro. Abu Hurayra, al-Habeshi
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

do you think its alright to pick and mix islam

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't want to get into a debate. All I'm saying is we shouldn't judge people on their outward appearances. For instance, when a good friend of mine told me Zidane (the soccer player, for those who don't know) was Muslim, I scoffed and sarcastically said that he wasn't doing a very good job of it, drinking and everything. My friend then said, 'Dude, if you say the shahadah, you're Muslim. It's not for us to judge'. The more I thought about it, the more I realised he was right. In my university for example, certain bearded Muslim males seemingly have no problem with flirting with girls, and certain hijabis see no problem with flirting with boys and wearing tight clothing.

I'm not saying that everyone who has a beard or wear a headscarf is secretly a bad Muslim or something. I'm just saying don't assume that people who do not have beards or do not wear the hijaab must be bad Muslims in some way.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Na'am, we cant judge a book by its cover but at the same time by doing good deeds and obeying Allaah and His messenger (peace be upon him) makes one grow in emaan. And Allaah knows best.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! those who say deen is in the heart Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. those who say deen is in the heart