× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 26 visibility 3114

Assisted suicide

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assisted suicide

Report bad ads?

I beleive tonight a TV programme showed "ground-breaking footage of a British resident dying at a Swiss euthanasia clinic".
    This has led to much debate and controversy.

Although suicide is no longer a crime in England and Wales, aiding and abetting suicide is a criminal offence punishable by up to 14 years in prison.
    This forces people, who are terminally ill and in fear of dying painfully, but who are unable due to physical disability to take their own lives to go to Switzerland - the only country where it is legal to assist non-residents in taking their own lives.

Many faith groups are amongst those who speak out against assisted suicide.
    I too, believe that life is God-given and should not be taken by anybody.
    However, having read some of the accounts I wonder how easy I would find it to stand by and watch a loved one die slowly and painfully, and to deny their wish to shorten their lives and their suffering ...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5319381.ece
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-1060055.html
    Assisted suicide

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Assisted suicide

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Assisted suicide

It's a difficult question for sure. It's easy for someone in good health to state that ending one's life due to suffering is wrong.

Personally, I'm sort of back and forth on this issue. I can see the point of view on both sides. The Christian in me says that ending life, no matter what the justification, is a sinful act. On that basis I would have to agree with those who are opposed to assisted suicide. That being said, I do have empathy and compassion for those who are suffering unspeakable pain and just want it to end. It is a very difficult moral and ethical question.
    Assisted suicide

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
    chat Quote

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Euthanasia is haram under Islamic rulings. The beeb has got some info on the matter: click meh

format_quote Originally Posted by Glo
    ...However, having read some of the accounts I wonder how easy I would find it to stand by and watch a loved one die slowly and painfully, and to deny their wish to shorten their lives and their suffering ...
    I know what you mean, I'd feel very, very uncomfortable in that situation and wouldn't want it wished on anyone. But, it is in these crucial times that faith lends a helping hand.

It is not an easy thing to do and I have no ill-fealings to anyone who agrees with euthanasia - it's completely understandable and if I weren't religious, I probably would be for it. But that's the beauty of religion - it teaches you to control your emotions even in such pscyhologically challenging tribulations.

Btw, I have not and do not intend to watch this (or any other) program showing assisted suicide.
    Assisted suicide

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    It's a difficult question for sure. It's easy for someone in good health to state that ending one's life due to suffering is wrong.

Personally, I'm sort of back and forth on this issue. I can see the point of view on both sides. The Christian in me says that ending life, no matter what the justification, is a sinful act. On that basis I would have to agree with those who are opposed to assisted suicide. That being said, I do have empathy and compassion for those who are suffering unspeakable pain and just want it to end. It is a very difficult moral and ethical question.
    Your post discribes my own ethical struggle on this topic very well, Keltoi.

My husband, who does not follow any religion, is very clear that if he ever reached such a level of suffering, he would want to look to assisted suicide as his solution. I am his wife, and I sometimes wonder how I would deal with it ...
    I pray that God never put me to the test with regards to this!

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post

Euthanasia is haram under Islamic rulings. The beeb has got some info on the matter: click meh
    I thought it would be. Thank you for the link.

I know what you mean, I'd feel very, very uncomfortable in that situation and wouldn't want it wished on anyone. But, it is in these crucial times that faith lends a helping hand.

It is not an easy thing to do and I have no ill-fealings to anyone who agrees with euthanasia - it's completely understandable and if I weren't religious, I probably would be for it. But that's the beauty of religion - it teaches you to control your emotions even in such pscyhologically challenging tribulations.
    How would you feel if the person dying was not religious him/herself?
    Would you be more inclined to agree with them? Or less?

Btw, I have not and do not intend to watch this (or any other) program showing assisted suicide.
    Same here. I have not watched the programme, nor do I want to ...
    Assisted suicide

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Here is the account of Michael Wenham, a man who also suffers with motor neurone disease, but who is determined not to shorten his own life.
    Granted, he is not yet in the final stages, as Craig Ewert was, but here are his words anyway.

They are taken from his book 'My Donkey Body':
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...e-1061348.html
    Assisted suicide

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

Danah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    protectedpearls.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

good question glo
    I have asked this question before in another forum, and I got different results. many people there were okay with ending their life or their people life to stop there suffering, some other were valuing their life and prefer to not give up but keep trying any other solutions to save their life

I think this topic will be viewed differently from different people according to their beliefs.
    for me, I think that any suffering the human being might go through whether it is minor or serious is a sign for purifying his sins before his death. Yeah, it is hard to see our beloved people suffering in front of our eyes while we are standing doing nothing to them. But at the end, who we are to decide ending the life of someone whom we did not grant life at the first place?
    I think the one that grant the life is the only one who can take it, us people are responsible to protect this life and sustain it to not expose it to any danger
    Assisted suicide

Visit my website
    ProtectedPearls.com

Your way to find the truth

Follow us on:

YouTube
    Twitter
    Facebook

chat Quote

brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    How would you feel if the person dying was not religious him/herself?
    Would you be more inclined to agree with them? Or less?...
    That'd be too tough of a situation. I'd want to agree with them but my religion says not to. I would definitely be conflicted all the way through: end a loved one's suffering or continue it. And it's not something you can weigh up either - it's not a case of they live happily or they die i.e you can save them. It's a case of they live in pain for a while longer and die or they die now.

I do feel great empathy for those who are in or who have loved ones in such positions and I must repeate that I bare no ill-feelings to those who take that option - it's probably the most difficult decision anyone has to make, joint only with saving conjoined twins.
    Assisted suicide

Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I beleive tonight a TV programme showed "ground-breaking footage of a British resident dying at a Swiss euthanasia clinic".
    This has led to much debate and controversy.
    And sky-high ratings, presumably.

I hadn't heard of this documentary until the news splurged it all over yesterday. But that's just me.

The controversial footage of the moment of death is most likely on YouTube for all to view.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Whoa that's sad but hear this my English teacher told he a story of a man named Mark Lepine who went in a university and shot 14 women just because he was a feminist (= being a person who Denys that females can work) and so was his dad who abused him after he killed those women he commuted Sucide with a letter.
    Open Question about Sucide?
    Why do people write letters when some innocent can get caught because the letter can say anything for instance if my friend commits it and he hates a teacher he could blame her.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I came across this article whilst browsing, on a website called "Care, not Killing", which promotes palliative care and opposes euthanasia and assisted suicide:
    Major religions are strongly opposed to assisted dying
    All major religions are strongly opposed to both euthanasia and assisted suicide. In the week before the House of Lords debate on 10 October 2005, nine major UK faith leaders (representing the six world faiths of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Sikhism) wrote an open letter to every member of the House of Lords and the House of Commons arguing strongly against any change in the law. The letter was almost entirely ignored by the media, but was referred to several times in the House of Lords debate.
    http://www.carenotkilling.org.uk/
    Assisted suicide

Peace

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

[Psalm 95]

chat Quote

KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Personally I am very strongly in favor of each persons right to end their life gracefully and without suffering when they are terminally ill. This is something I am quite passionate about. The mere idea that when I am suffering a terrible, painful and deadly illness, an opponent to euthanasia wags his finger at me tells me I need to suffer, simply because his God tells him so. It would simply infuriate me. What angers me even more is their claim that they are doing the "right" thing, that suffering (or rather letting others suffer) is the moral thing to do. To me the only complexity in this matter here is how to deal with children and mental illnesses in combination with assisted suicide.

Like I said, I'm passionate about this subject .
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm a strong proponent of euthanasia.
    It does bother me though that a Swiss clinic is making hundreds of thousands, probably millions, from it.
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    Personally I am very strongly in favor of each persons right to end their life gracefully and without suffering when they are terminally ill. This is something I am quite passionate about. The mere idea that when I am suffering a terrible, painful and deadly illness, an opponent to euthanasia wags his finger at me tells me I need to suffer, simply because his God tells him so. It would simply infuriate me. What angers me even more is their claim that they are doing the "right" thing, that suffering (or rather letting others suffer) is the moral thing to do. To me the only complexity in this matter here is how to deal with children and mental illnesses in combination with assisted suicide.

Like I said, I'm passionate about this subject .
    What if they don't want you to suffer so much as pump you full of painkillers?

That's my somewhat pragmatic/boneheaded view on the whole thing.

I say boneheaded because I'm not sure whether painkillers are always appropriate.
    chat Quote

Argamemnon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

If I were an atheist I would support it.. but then, if I were an atheist, I would go kill myself now instead of posting my opinion on this and wasting time. Alhamdullilah I'm not a disbeliever.. I know that after sufering comes ease, if not in this life, definitely in the Hereafter inshaAllah...
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    What if they don't want you to suffer so much as pump you full of painkillers?

That's my somewhat pragmatic/boneheaded view on the whole thing.

I say boneheaded because I'm not sure whether painkillers are always appropriate.
    I absolutely agree. If possible this should be preferred. Critical words are "if possible". But an individual should always have the choice, based on personal preference and effectiveness of either treatment.

In general my position would be as follows: Don't want to use euthanasia? Fine, then don't. But don't force others to go through unbearable suffering to please your sensitivities, religious or otherwise.
    Last edited by KAding; 12-11-2008 at 10:14 PM.
    chat Quote

Faith.'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    :)
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I read about this in the newspaper...and I literally had tears in my eyes
    It's so sad how some people nowadays think commiting suicide is going to solve all their problems.
    Assisted suicide

wwwislamicboardcom - Assisted suicide

chat Quote

Leyla73's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My mom told me about it, and she says she felt soo bad while she was watching it, especailly the end when he drinks the poison or something... Omg...
    it's true, that you should not decide whether you die or not, Allah should decide when he wants you to leave this world. But from another side, i feel soo sorry for the people who live thanks to a MACHINE that makes them breath and know that without they'd just die...

So actually, from one side, they were meant to die, if not that machine that makes them live. So in this case, we can say that Allah wanted to take this person, but some people didn't let it happen...

Reeeally confusing anyways
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In general my position would be as follows: Don't want to use euthanasia? Fine, then don't. But don't force others to go through unbearable suffering to please your sensitivities, religious or otherwise.
    It's not always as easy and as simple as that. To assist in a loved one's suicide is not something that can be done on a whim - it affects everyone. Think about it, not everyone wants to or can hold that much responsibility for someone's death - a loved one no less.

And I've said in previous posts, the situation is this:

A) Letting them live in pain for a little while longer and then die naturally
    B) Pulling the plug (so to speak), so they die now.

So, the decision for taking away life is in that situation not easy. You aren't holding a gun to the person who has raped your wife and slaughtered your children. You are ''pulling the plug'' on your wife or children.
    The decision either way is not always simple.

As far as religion goes, there are two main reasons why euthanasia isn't allowed:
    1) For the hereafter - we believe they are suffering now so that they won't have to suffer in the afterlife (islamically speaking anyway).
    2) For the family members/friends to have as much time with that person as possible - those last moments are precious for everyone involved.
    Last edited by aamirsaab; 12-12-2008 at 11:11 AM.
    Assisted suicide

Mosque-a-mania!
    ''Become the change''
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab View Post
    2) For the family members/friends to have as much time with that person as possible - those last moments are precious for everyone involved.
    That depends on the disease. Those last moments can be extremely distressful.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I absolutely agree. If possible this should be preferred. Critical words are "if possible". But an individual should always have the choice, based on personal preference and effectiveness of either treatment.

KAding, is it true that in Your country parents can tell the doctors to murder a very ill born child? Im not sure about it, I just heard about it.
    Assisted suicide

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Assisted suicide Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Assisted suicide