× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 44 visibility 14366

Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Report bad ads?

Is Paki a racist slur?

It is reported that Prince Harry has apologised because he referred to someone as a Paki and a rag-head (or was it cloth-head). Is calling some a Paki racist? If someone called me a Brit I wouldn’t feel that it was racist. Paki is short for Pakistani and Brit is short for British!! Australians call Brits ‘limeys’ I don’t feel racially slurred by being called a limey – why is calling a person from Pakistan a Paki racist?

I presume rag-head referred to someone wearing head gear made from a length of cloth – is that a racist slur as it doesn’t pertain to any particular race or religion? Isn't it just like calling someone who is bald 'baldie' - not very nice but a long way from being insulting.

2. Report bad ads?
    Banu_Hashim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Yes, in the UK "paki" is considered offensive. You could be from any country in the indian-subcontinent other than Pakistan, like India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka etc. and some racist people would still call you paki.

I think it all depends on how the other soldier who his got called this took it. If he himself took it as a joke... then I think people should get over it by now. Apparently it happened over 3 years ago?? There are more important things happening in the world at the moment!
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

2533160 1 - Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

aamirsaab's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    On vacation.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This has to be the funniest thread you've made, Thinker.

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    ....Paki is short for Pakistani and Brit is short for British!! Australians call Brits ‘limeys’ I don’t feel racially slurred by being called a limey – why is calling a person from Pakistan a Paki racist?
    no no no no no. You got it all wrong. I don't have a problem being called paki since I am from pakistan. What is offensive is calling any muslim a paki. Mainly because it is stupid and ignorant but also because pakis are different to bengalis, afghanis, iraqis, uzbeks etc. It's like calling all English people Scots. Which is quite simply retarded because what the hell qualifies as an english person? The language? if so, I'm English. The skin colour? Arabs, greeks, jews? The culture? Any country in the west?! Plain ignorance is what it comes down to.

People in general don't like being pigeon-holed - muslims are no different.
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Book on sharia law Updated!
    Mosque-a-mania!
    Someone said to the Prophet, "Pray to God against the idolaters and curse them." The Prophet replied, "I have been sent to show mercy and have not been sent to curse." (Muslim)
    ''Become the change''

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

'Paki' is a contraction of the word 'Pakistani'. It tends to be used in a derogatory fashion to apply to any brown-skinned Asian regardless of nationality. So, yes, it is a racist slur.

Rag-head, cloth-head, towel-head etc are all derogatory names for Arabs. I think they derive from military slang.

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

According to the newspaper, the person he called a Paki was a Pakistani; he was an officer from the Pakistan Army at Sandhurst. I can understand how an Indian or anyone who is not a Pakistani might be angry at being called a Paki (or even a Pakistani) because it shows an irritating ignorance of geography and ethnicity on the part of the speaker but I am struggling to understand how anyone who is from Pakistan could feel offended by being called a Paki.

I don’t think the analogy with black people and nigg*r is valid.

Pk_#2's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yes , unless I say it.

Ai ai dint see that, rag-head? He's gonna get beaten up for that, inshaAllaah, or he might just get scared and suicide.

What a disgusting "£$%^&*()
    Last edited by Pk_#2; 01-11-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin

Al-Zaara's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    made of awesome.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Maybe it was insulting, not 'cause he called him a Paki but 'cause he called the person a rag/cloth-head? As you said in the first post:

It is reported that Prince Harry has apologised because he referred to someone as a Paki and a rag-head (or was it cloth-head).
    Either way, he lives in the UK and is a role-model for some (or is "ought" to be), the young Prince should know better. The analogy of nigg*r and black people might seem a bit far-fetched, yet it is similiar. Maybe if you see it from the point of view how Middle-Eastern and Muslim people are called in Italy, you'd see a connection?
    Last edited by Al-Zaara; 01-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

If only I had checked myself
    Guy who wrecked himself

True leaders don't create followers...
    .... They create new leaders.

Hamayun's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Allahu Akbar
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would be offended if someone called me a Paki because my parents are both Indian.

I don't see why all brown people are put into the same box? Not all brown people are from Pakistan!

Saying that I think we need to stop crying about silly things like this while Israel is massacring hundreds of people in Philestine. I don't think we should start crying about it and condemning Harry. Lets concentrate on what's important.

nebula's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

yes PAKI is a racist word, ive been called a paki many times in my area...
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Ittaqullah haythu ma kount!

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It's insulting when you use it for all brownies, regardless of their origin, and in sentences such as kill em' those pesky Pakis.
    But when you know for sure the person you are speaking to is of Pakistani origin andd believe he or she won't get offended by the term, its fine.

noorseeker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

im not defending him, but im sure he didnt mean it in that way. From the work he has done in the past , he seems a caring man.

i always get said do i want a bacon sarnie, i dont take it out of context, i just smile.

Most of the times it depends on the situation, I try not to say paki, when i say pakistani in front of asians they will laugh and think im weird.

Example at work me a black guy and a white guy, the black guy said these WHITE boys,
    he didnt say it with hate, but he understands if there were more whites around you cant say that.

People still use the word coloured these days.

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't think Paki is intended to be a racial slur in all countries. Many people simply do not know what is the proper term to call a native of Pakistan. Here in the USA when Paki is used it is usually meant to mean a person from Pakistan.

However, now looking at the history of the word in the UK and the way it has been used in the past 30 or 40 years I would say it is a racial slur in many countries and intended to be so by who ever uses it.

I myself have used the term Paki several times here. But, my intent was to recognize the person was from Pakistan. If anybody took it as a slur, I deeply apologize. After reading this thread I am erasing the word from my vocabulary.
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Herman 1 - Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Al-Zaara's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    made of awesome.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I usually say a Pakistani, if I ever come across one and am 100% sure they are from Pakistan. Don't know if it's less insulting than just saying Paki?
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

If only I had checked myself
    Guy who wrecked himself

True leaders don't create followers...
    .... They create new leaders.

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Banu_Hashim View Post
    I think it all depends on how the other soldier who his got called this took it. If he himself took it as a joke... then I think people should get over it by now. Apparently it happened over 3 years ago?? There are more important things happening in the world at the moment!
    Absolutely. I think what those making a fuss should remember two things; firstly that every other member of the same platoon might say the same thing equally without meaning it to be racist, and secondly that any of them would risk their own lives to save this guy's without giving it a second thought. In some contexts the word is very offensive and intended to constitute racist abuse. That doesn't seem to be the case here at all.

18. Report bad ads?
    glo's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would like to know if the Pakistani soldier in question was offended by the comment or not.

Has anybody had the chance to see the video? Or has a link to it?
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Peace
    glocandle ani 1 - Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

[Psalm 95]

brightness_1
    Student of knowledge
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I had the same question and asked brother Woodrow. Being called a paki can be racist or not because it depends on the person you are calling too. I don't mind but here in Canada no one either knows that term or never uses it. Instead some bullies call me terriost for some reason.

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    According to the newspaper, the person he called a Paki was a Pakistani; he was an officer from the Pakistan Army at Sandhurst. I can understand how an Indian or anyone who is not a Pakistani might be angry at being called a Paki (or even a Pakistani) because it shows an irritating ignorance of geography and ethnicity on the part of the speaker but I am struggling to understand how anyone who is from Pakistan could feel offended by being called a Paki.
    Because the term was popularised, if not coined, by far right British whackjobs in a racially derogotary context, in reference to the diaspora of Pakistani immigrants in the 1970's.

Either you're overthinking this, or you're joking.

brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't see how someone who is third in line to a constitutional monarchy (which has no power) is posted all over news headlines for saying something that lots of ignorant people say anyways...
    Last edited by Banu_Hashim; 01-11-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

‘Say: If the ocean were ink wherewith to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted, even if We added another ocean like it.’~Al Qu'raan (18:109)

brightness_1
    A slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    I myself have used the term Paki several times here. But, my intent was to recognize the person was from Pakistan. If anybody took it as a slur, I deeply apologize. After reading this thread I am erasing the word from my vocabulary.
    It's really only offensive in Britain. I think lots of people use it in the US without having malicious intentions .
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

24. Report bad ads?
    aminahjaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm Pakistani and for short I'm "Paki"
    I don't live in the UK, but I have heard that's a racial slur, I don't see why it's Pakistani with out the stani.
    Btw, Rag head? Hahahah woow. But I bet he's been called Fire head :'(
    http://www.theasiannews.co.uk/news/s...or_insult.html
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...2185654AAVPALl
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bradford/featur.../03/paki.shtml
    Last edited by aminahjaan; 01-11-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

Allahuakbar
    2egcm4g 1 - Is 'Paki' a racist slur?

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Is 'Paki' a racist slur? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Is 'Paki' a racist slur?