× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 22 visibility 3163

Nigeria - Boko haram

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nigeria - Boko haram

Report bad ads?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...igeria-attacks

Nigerian 'Taliban' offensive leaves 150 dead

Ustaz Mohammed Yusuf, leader of Boko Haram, which literally means "education is prohibited"

"Democracy and the current system of education must be changed otherwise this war that is yet to start would continue for long."

Again we see a strategy of denying access to standard education to be replaced with what – memorisation and rote recitation of the Qu’ran perhap?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Ummu Sufyaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Nigeria - Boko haram

Again we see a strategy of denying access to standard education to be replaced with what- memorisation and rote recitation of the Qu’ran perhap?
    god, you like causing trouble, dont you?
    Last edited by Ummu Sufyaan; 07-29-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Nigeria - Boko haram

...desperate for husnul-khitaam...

please make dua that Allah grants me a good end (to my life). please make dua that Allah guides me.

chat Quote

'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    Again we see a strategy of denying access to standard education to be replaced with what – memorisation and rote recitation of the Qu’ran perhap?
    Are you part of the Talib to know that or is it the media influence?

Really, why do you always come out with the most futile and useless comments? The most dangerous weapon is ignorance and you are a prime and golden example of that.
    Nigeria - Boko haram

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

The_Prince's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Mars, where they located the ice, it was my freezer where i keep the fish
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...igeria-attacks

Nigerian 'Taliban' offensive leaves 150 dead

Ustaz Mohammed Yusuf, leader of Boko Haram, which literally means "education is prohibited"

"Democracy and the current system of education must be changed otherwise this war that is yet to start would continue for long."

whats it to you? its their country isnt it? how ironic, hypocrites as yourself always try to force people to your ways in your own country, and now you want to complain about what people want to do in their own country? get over yourself, you dont run the world.

no where in this article does it say anything about stopping standard education, these Nigerians are against YOUR WESTERN BRAINWASHED EDUCATION SYSTEM, they didnt say no more education. now offcourse you being a racist imperialist will be against this, but as i said above, you dont run the world, so get over yourself.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The BBC's take

Notice how that article points out that nobody really knows who these nutters in Nigeria are.

Also:

format_quote Originally Posted by BBC article on Loco Boko Nigerian Nutjobs
    "We could literally see it coming over the past few weeks."

There has been widespread criticism of the security forces for their perceived laxness in monitoring the group.
    chat Quote

nocturnal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Guys, lets not have a go at "Thinker" for stating his opinion and hounding him out unjustly. He has a right to make his opinion in a reasonable way without offending anyone and he was simply questioning whether its worth undermining a secular education and replacing it with a system of education based on recitation and memorisation of the Qur'an without availing any other subjects that Muslims, in furtherance of their aims need to study as well, such as the Arts, Sciences etc. It's a valid point.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^
    you should read the rest of his posts.
    Nigeria - Boko haram

please make dua that Allah grants me a good end (to my life). please make dua that Allah guides me.

chat Quote

Afg's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nigerian Taliban ? looooool never heard of that.
    chat Quote

Afg's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i mean Nigerian version of so called offensive Taliban..lol
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

lol
    aren't we all?
    Last edited by Ummu Sufyaan; 07-31-2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Nigeria - Boko haram

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed View Post
    god, you like causing trouble, dont you?
    The reason I posted this report was because I think it’s important to highlight the importance of education for all (and by that I mean the pursuit of academia not a process of indoctrination of political or religious ideology) and an increasingly common theme running through areas governed by sharia law to prevent people from developing academic skills and steering people away from free thought.

With regards to suggesting that they aren’t trying to ban education just ‘western’ education; that is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Intisar; 07-30-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    chat Quote

'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

and an increasingly common theme running through areas governed by sharia law to prevent people from developing academic skills and steering people away from free thought.

With regards to suggesting that they aren’t trying to ban education just ‘western’ education; that is just ridiculous.
    Again, I reiterate. Why talk about things which you are ignorant of?

I dare you to go through the Qur'an and Sunnah and find me a passage where it says one must not seek education in obdience to Islam. If you can't find it, what makes you stubbornly claim that their actions are part of the Islamic Law?

Please do make an effort to learn something once in a while. As Benjamin Franklin once said, Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
    Last edited by 'Abd-al Latif; 07-29-2009 at 06:00 PM.
    Nigeria - Boko haram

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif View Post
    Again, I reiterate. Why talk about things which you are ignorant of?

I dare you to go through the Qur'an and Sunnah and find me a passage where it says one must not seek education in obdience to Islam. If you can't find it, what makes you stubbornly claim that their actions are part of the Islamic Law?

Please do make an effort to learn something once in a while. As Benjamin Franklin once said, Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.
    I am not sure what you mean by things I am ignorant of but in terms of finding Islamic text which denies education – I agree it does not exist, in fact I recall reading a verse which commanded that believers should seek out knowledge (education) . . . all that said, it still follows that those areas under sharia law do seem to be, at the very least, controlling what is taught or to whom it is taught.
    chat Quote

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

So the problem with that Nigerian guys is that they want to establish islamic law also in christian parts of this country?
    Nigeria - Boko haram

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Afg View Post
    Nigerian Taliban ? looooool never heard of that.
    That doesn't make sense. Taliban means student...Nigerian student???
    Nigeria - Boko haram

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The reason I posted this report was because I think it’s important to highlight the importance of education for all (and by that I mean the pursuit of academia not a process of indoctrination of political or religious ideology)
    In that case, why do you “lobby” for the Nigerians not to have the shariah law implemented as their academic system, and yet seem so oblivious to the fact that the education system in some African countries is based on the European education system? What is your opinion on this?

and an increasingly common theme running through areas governed by sharia law to prevent people from developing academic skills and steering people away from free thought.
    but you insist on shoving your laws down their throats, even in their own countries. not thinking very freely, are we now?

format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85 View Post
    So the problem with that Nigerian guys is that they want to establish islamic law also in christian parts of this country?
    do you hold the same opinion to the Christians who killed the natives of Australia and enforced their laws on them, imposing their oppression, such as stealing children away from their mothers? What about the population of the American indigenous people decreasing after European (Christoper Columbus was a European christian) colonization?
    Last edited by Intisar; 07-30-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: editing out Thinker's deleted response.
    Nigeria - Boko haram

chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

These guys are in favour of thoroughly overhauling the entire education system in Nigeria. Um ul Shaheed, a secualr education doesn't necessarily reflect some sort of surreptitious effort to impose a particualr way of thinking on people. Its appropriate in the Nigerian context in that first of all, the country is not Muslim dominated, although there are a sizeable number of Muslims. Secondly, the secualr education system empowers people to think for themselves and discern using the education and knowledge imparted to them what they conceive as being most suitable in terms of ideology.

There are people today, extremists of every hue, who promulgate myriad ideologies varying hugely in their orientation, and whose ideas were all formulated and crystallised after undergoing a secular education. These militants in Nigeria are trying to alter the education system so diabolically, to the point that its modelled on the camps that the Pakistani Taliban set up in Swat for example, from which young, gullible and impressionable children some as young as nine years old, were groomed for Jihad.

No one says that an Islamic education can't conceivably be progressive, but you have to implement the instruction of a broad range of subjects, something that is incumbent upon us as Muslims, and which at one time, the Muslim ummah was renowned for.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by nocturnal View Post
    Um ul Shaheed, a secualr education doesn't necessarily reflect some sort of surreptitious effort to impose a particualr way of thinking on people.
    that is beyond the point. what i was trying to get at, is why does the education system in some African countries are depended on the European one, well atleast the British education system, as opposed to having their own? why the hypocrisy?

Secondly, the secualr education system empowers people to think for themselves and discern using the education and knowledge imparted to them what they conceive as being most suitable in terms of ideology.
    it should be noted though that a lot of things that are taught in a secular education system, such as Science, maths, etc have been derived from Muslims scholars who have excelled in that particular field. so idea of having people thinking for themselves doesn't really qualify in this case, as either way the same things will be taught. that's first up.

second up, is that your going to "impose" some sot of thinking upon people anyway, so again, the "thinking for themselves" doesn't quality.

These militants in Nigeria are trying to alter the education system so diabolically, to the point that its modelled on the camps that the Pakistani Taliban set up in Swat for example, from which young, gullible and impressionable children some as young as nine years old, were groomed for Jihad.
    and you have 8 year old girls in the west being "impressioned" into modeling and beauty contests!
    Nigeria - Boko haram

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed View Post
    In that case, why do you “lobby” for the Nigerians not to have the shariah law implemented as their academic system, and yet seem so oblivious to the fact that the education system in some African countries is based on the European education system? What is your opinion on this?

I started this thread with some assumptions and I am open minded enough to accept the possibility that my assumptions might be wrong. My assumptions were based upon what I know about the UK education system (which is a lot) and what I know about boko haram and sharia law (which is little).

I know that the UK education system (taking aside the study of a religion) does nothing more that teach students how to read, write and mathematics all of which are unarguably apolitical and non gender, race, east/west or religion specific and other subjects based upon agreed fact without bias towards any gender, race, east/west or religion. There are lots of Muslim members of this forum who have gone through that education system. Knowing that and seeing that these Nigerian Muslims want to change the current education system in Nigeria from a ‘western’ system to an Islamic or African system I made some presumption which, as I say may be wrong. Perhaps you could help us by describing how the system of education proposed by the boko haram people would differ from the current so called ‘western’ system? Or, if that is too difficult, how a Muslim education system would differ from the current so called ‘western’ system?
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No one is disputing that the west and its education system, and the culture that glamorises a celebrity culture, do have deep seated flaws, the system in the west isn't by any means perfect and infallible. And i also accept with alacrity that Islam has played an intergral role in the evolution of European civilisation and our understanding of it today through the dissemination of knowledge that was unparalleled in previous times.

When you talk about the concept of some sort of academic imposition on Nigeria as a relic of the colonial era, thats an erroneous contention Umm ul Shaheed. I was born and grew up in East Africa, i've been through the system there, and i go back often, only to read news stories of constant reviews of the education system and appeals by undiscerning nationalists to Africanize it because supposedly according to them, and i guess you, the methodology of instruction being used is some sort of instrument which perpetuates colonial era ignorance, practices and beliefs.

Yet despite demagogues clamouring for this, they opted not to change it. Rather, religious study was carefully and methodically integrated into the national curriculum and you could either study RE (religious education), IRE (Islamic religious education), CRE (Christian religious education), etc. Or if you so chose, you could not study any one. RE ostensbily covered the spectrum of the world's major religions in a concise, respectful and dispassionate manner, and that's something i truly appreciated.

Now i can't really fathom how a Boko Haram conceptualised educational system might plausibly be. If their proclamations are anything to conjecture on, then clearly we're looking at a pernicious travesty of education that will only hold back the Muslims in Nigeria, and not empower them. Explain to me how realistically, according concessions to these militants can possibly be in the interests of Muslims there and the precedent it sets in the region.

I would much rather the central government creates, administers and regulates specialist Islamic institutions which purvey a comprehensive and holistic education to the students entrusted to it, not to a rabble of zealots and their fallacious creed who would be no different from the extremist zionists in israel and their doctrine.
    Last edited by nocturnal; 08-01-2009 at 01:42 AM.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Nigeria - Boko haram Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Nigeria - Boko haram