× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 54 visibility 5018

What is "love"

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Question What is "love"

Report bad ads?

Note: Muslim to Muslim responces only.

I don't believe in love people of today preach about. I just believe that love is a feeling that comes from the brain.

What is love from an Islamic prespeactive?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    'Abd-al Latif's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    CagePrisoners.com
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: What is "love"

Love is neither disapproved by Religion, nor prohibited by the Law; for every heart is in God's hands. - Ibn Hazm Al-Andalusi
    What is "love"

And verily for everything that a slave loses there is a substitute, but the one who loses Allah will never find anything to replace Him.”
    [Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl 49]

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Temporary Dunya - Don't get distracted by its pleasures... Not worth it...
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Love is when you can sacrifice everything just to make the other person happy.
    chat Quote

ژاله's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

if love is for Allah and his Prophet, than thats a sign of strength of iman.
    if its for your parents, family, children then its a great blessing, a sign of Allah's that he has put mercy among us.
    if its for some non mahram, then thats infatuation, a trick from shaitan to lead you astray. the sooner you get over this the better.
    so love in general like everything else is neither good nor bad, it depends on whom do you love.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    zakirs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Servant of god
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i dont know what islam says about it but what i feel is

love is true respect , admiration and affection from heart
    What is "love"

______

chat Quote

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Love may be divided into mahabbah khaassah (specific love) and mahabbah mushtarakah (general love).

Mahabbah khaassah (specific love): may be divided into types that are halaal and types that are haraam.

Halaal love includes:

(1) Love of Allaah, which is the most important obligation, as it is the basis of Islam. “. . . But those who believe, love Allaah more (than anything else) . . .” [al-Baqarah 2:165]

(2) Love of Allaah’s Messenger, which is also one of the most important duties of Islaam. “The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said: ‘None of you truly believes until I am more beloved to him than his child, his father and all the people.” (Reported by Muslim, no. 44).

(3) Love of the Prophets and the believers. “Whoever loves for the sake of Allaah (i.e., loves the people of faith for the sake of Allaah).”

Haraam love:

This includes love which constitutes shirk, which is when a person loves something instead of Allaah or as much as Him. “Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight . . . are dearer to you than Allaah and His Messenger, and striving hard and fighting in His cause, then wait until Allaah brings about His Decision (torment).” [al-Tawbah 9:24]
    Mahabbah mushtarakah (general love):

General love is of three types:

(1) Natural love, such as the love of a hungry person for food, or a thirsty person for water. This does not involve any kind of glorification, so it is permissible.

(2) Love based on mercy and pity, such as the love of a father for his small child. This also involves no kind of glorification, so there is nothing wrong with it.

(3) Love based on acquaintance and friendship, such as that between those who share a common profession, or scholars in the same field, or people one meets on a daily basis (such as fellow-commuters), or people one does business with, or travelling-companions. This type of appropriate love between people, or brotherly love, does not imply shirk or associating anyone else in one’s love for Allaah.

May Allah (swt) bless us to see that which is right & act upon it & May He (swt) bless our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (sas), Aameen!!

Last edited by ☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆; 09-11-2009 at 10:28 AM. Reason: bump//
    What is "love"

''LIVE for the sake of ALLAH, LOVE for the sake of ALLAH, FIGHT for the sake of ALLAH, & DIE for the sake of ALLAH''
    chat Quote

Soulja Girl's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Umm Abdullah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^Ameen... Great post sis!

Also... When you love someone enough that you'd die for em...

What is "love"

" Its sometimes better people don't get to know you..
    Cuz the more they know you, the less they understand & accept you..
    Alone is better, what say
    " - SRK
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by T.I.A View Post
    Love is when you can sacrifice everything just to make the other person happy.

This is what I have against "love" it blinds you. Once it blinds you, you do forbidden things to satisfy that person which is Shirk.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady View Post

^Ameen... Great post sis!

Also... When you love someone enough that you'd die for em...

Lol, I find this corny.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mujaheedah View Post

Love may be divided into mahabbah khaassah (specific love) and mahabbah mushtarakah (general love).

Mahabbah khaassah (specific love): may be divided into types that are halaal and types that are haraam.

Halaal love includes:

(1) Love of Allaah, which is the most important obligation, as it is the basis of Islam. “. . . But those who believe, love Allaah more (than anything else) . . .” [al-Baqarah 2:165]

(2) Love of Allaah’s Messenger, which is also one of the most important duties of Islaam. “The Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) said: ‘None of you truly believes until I am more beloved to him than his child, his father and all the people.” (Reported by Muslim, no. 44).

(3) Love of the Prophets and the believers. “Whoever loves for the sake of Allaah (i.e., loves the people of faith for the sake of Allaah).”

Haraam love:

This includes love which constitutes shirk, which is when a person loves something instead of Allaah or as much as Him. “Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight . . . are dearer to you than Allaah and His Messenger, and striving hard and fighting in His cause, then wait until Allaah brings about His Decision (torment).” [al-Tawbah 9:24]
    Mahabbah mushtarakah (general love):

General love is of three types:

(1) Natural love, such as the love of a hungry person for food, or a thirsty person for water. This does not involve any kind of glorification, so it is permissible.

(2) Love based on mercy and pity, such as the love of a father for his small child. This also involves no kind of glorification, so there is nothing wrong with it.

(3) Love based on acquaintance and friendship, such as that between those who share a common profession, or scholars in the same field, or people one meets on a daily basis (such as fellow-commuters), or people one does business with, or travelling-companions. This type of appropriate love between people, or brotherly love, does not imply shirk or associating anyone else in one’s love for Allaah.

May Allah (swt) bless us to see that which is right & act upon it & May He (swt) bless our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (sas), Aameen!!

I like this one. Sukran sis
    chat Quote

cat eyes's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i think love is when you feel deep pity and emotion for the person you care about there needs and there wants.. you try to fufil them and basically you would do anything for them. you feel intoxicated by them and then you become syco haha
    What is "love"

ae8iug 1 - What is "love"

wwwislamicboardcom - What is "love"
    chat Quote

The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema View Post

This is what I have against "love" it blinds you. Once it blinds you, you do forbidden things to satisfy that person which is Shirk.
    Shirk?

Lol, I find this corny.
    So is your question.

There's no set criteria for one to label an emotion as love. How do you differentiate between 'love' and 'like'? One a more extreme form of the other? If favouring a man over another means you like him, perhaps 'love' is that multiplied?
    What is "love"

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by The Ruler View Post
    Shirk?

So is your question.

There's no set criteria for one to label an emotion as love. How do you differentiate between 'love' and 'like'? One a more extreme form of the other? If favouring a man over another means you like him, perhaps 'love' is that multiplied?

Fist of brother, we greet eachother with:
    Secondly, There is a difference between a question and belief.
    Are you asking me what is Shirk? I suggest you read fatwas about it.

So, you're saying that emotion is not love or that love is not a feeling. Than love doesn't exist?
    This is confusing....
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes View Post
    i think love is when you feel deep pity and emotion for the person you care about there needs and there wants.. you try to fufil them and basically you would do anything for them. you feel intoxicated by them and then you become syco haha
    I would never want to have this feeling in my life

Don't get offended. It just isn't great.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    alcurad's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

love is when you ignore other alternatives-emotionally, sexually and the rest-and focus on one only. no truly objective way to define it though.

you need to be careful as it could make you unaware of much, but this is no reason to dismiss it entirely. throwing the baby with the bath water etc.

The ruler is a sister btw
    Last edited by alcurad; 09-11-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    What is "love"

” إن الأمة التي تحسن صناعة الموت توهب لها الحياة”

正直・・・微妙
    chat Quote

The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Fist of brother, we greet eachother with:
    How come you didn't greet Crazy_Lady like that?

Secondly, There is a difference between a question and belief.
    Are you asking me what is Shirk? I suggest you read fatwas about it.
    I know very well what shirk is. But I was wondering how doing "forbidden things to satisfy that person" is shirk? Haram, perhaps, but surely not shirk? At least, not in how I believe 'shirk' to be. Shirk is haraam, but what is haraam, is not shirk. EDIT: I think I somewhat found the answer to that question.

So, you're saying that emotion is not love or that love is not a feeling. Than love doesn't exist?
    I'm not saying either of those - though I'm not entirely sure what the first half of that question is asking. What I meant to say is that love is not a set of bullet point criterias. You can't stare at a couple, tick off the points, and declare them to be in love. For some, love is what they share in a look; for others, it's the caress of a man or even his words. For some, love takes the form of a human being; for others, perhaps a cat? For some, love is about sex, for others, it's a mere source of comfort, peace and solace.
    Last edited by The Ruler; 09-11-2009 at 08:51 PM.
    What is "love"

chat Quote

Humbler_359's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Rasema,

I believe that there are thousands definition meaning of 'love'. I find that the best love is when someone who love Allah (Subhana Wa Taa'la) daily and will likely to show true love someone you want to marry instead pretend. Lol.

If other person who don't know much about Islam, their meaning of love is different and temporary.
    What is "love"

"When the Qur'an is read, Listen to it with attention, And hold your peace: That ye may receive Mercy"
    ~ 7:204

"Then do ye remember Me; I will remember You. Be grateful to Me, And reject not Faith. ~ 2:152

How Islam started 1400 years ago?- see Youtube

chat Quote

cat eyes's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

funny that:><: she didn't greet me a salaam either in reply to my post
    What is &quot;love&quot;

ae8iug 1 - What is "love"

wwwislamicboardcom - What is "love"
    chat Quote

Rabi'ya's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Revert4Life
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What is love...? Wow, you could write and essay on thi topic.

Alhamdulillah Allah has blessed us with big hearts, and we all feel some kind of love/affection/emotion every day.

There are many different kinds of love.I mean for example, the love I feel for my daughter, my hsband and my mum are 3 completely different kinds of love. I would go as far as to say we cannot necessarily catagorise them, having said that, we can attribute certain factors to each kind of love.

Daughter - I cry when she learns something new. I feel immense emotion when she hugs me or says "mummy, i love you!".

Mum - I respect my mum. I value her guidance(to a point as she;s non muslim) he carring attitude towards me. Her support.

Husband - hmmmm, when I wake up and know that he is there for me. when he spends time with his child. he makes dinner for me. He protects me, he cares for me. I respect him. the deep friendship and trust we hold together.

One thing I realised while writing this is that I feel I cannot live without any of them. Whilst I know when Allah brings their time close I will have to deal with any loss, I still feel at this moment it will be unbearable. I don;t think this is a cause of love, but it is defniitely a consequence of loving someone deeply.

Whatever kind of love you are interested in, I feel this is the binding factor.

Based on this anyone could be subject to our love but it is with Allah;s guidance and through His will that people are chosen for us to love. I mean there are people who don't love their parents and parents who dont love their kids. and "usually" the feeling is mutual
    Last edited by Rabi'ya; 09-11-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added a paragraph
    What is &quot;love&quot;

rose4 1 - What is "love"
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No, no,

Sometimes the corner of the smiles doesn't show and I forget. It's not that I don't respect you or anything.
    Last edited by Rasema; 09-11-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! What is &quot;love&quot; Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. What is &quot;love&quot;