Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What atheism is for?

Report bad ads?

greetings, feedback apreciated.

my thoughts
    Yes..

I was wondering what Atheism brings to society and the world. That theists don’t, I am curious on issues of spreading the idea of peace and joy to the world. does atheist spread those? do they have large organisations that help the poor the suffering etc? Seeing everyone on here subscribing to atheism I’m sure it does bring something, surly being a very moderate theist(if I were a very adamant and by the book theist I would not be here) I’m missing out on the fun ??

My questions is , and I’m curious:
    because when you see it atheism is a choice to disconnect with God, what has that choice brought you atheists?
    what has it given you except the freedom to stop caring about your actions
    Or is it simply out of frustration of being blind to gods light. A prayer that has stayed unanswered...? A loved one that has departed in eternity? And of whose signs we can no longer perceive but in our hearts.

Because when you look at it, a theist thinker and atheist thinker are quite the same and identical if not for a lack in the atheist, the lack of faith,

because I tried to invision myself as an atheist, rejecting god and mocking him and his religion here and elsewhere regularly. and getting down the road, as my last breaths expires into the world.. and bearing the fear, in those lasts instants that I might have been wrong all these years.so, im asking.
    just curiosity.
    And with a gentle mind of pure heart.

Most best regards and considerations.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    LI News Service
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: What atheism is for?

ThreadApproved 1 - What atheism is for?
    What atheism is for?

"I spent thirty years learning manners, and I spent twenty years learning knowledge."

~ 'Abdullāh bin al-Mubārak (rahimahullah)
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hey Just,

Not too sure I understand the question (plus the post is a little disjointed, sorry).

Atheism is just that you don't think there's a god.

After that, each atheist has his/her own philosphy (though I'm sure their are major overlapping groupings).

For me, my best shot at the "TRUTH" is that the universe is governed by natural laws, which implies atheism. So what it "gives" me is that I live my life based on my beliefs without lying to myself.

Do Atheist spread peace and love? I guess some do, about the same as theists.
    Are their large secular organizations that help the poor? Yes.

Thanks.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

While there are atheists who choose atheism because they desire to reject God(swt) I believe most are so simply because they do not see any evidence of God(swt).

There have been a few governments and social structures based upon atheism, communism probably the most recent and best known to people today.

Atheism exists because it can. God(swt) has willed for all possible things to be, therefore if it is possible it exists. Now, as to what is Atheism for? Possibly because without it we would not have true freedom of choice.

It is impossible for a theist to become an atheist without a conscious effort to find a reason to reject the existence of God(swt). Also, to try to understand atheism requires us theists to constantly reaffirm our own faith and increase our own reasons to belief. It helps force us to better understand our selfs and helps guide us in defending our beliefs when the need arises.

So in simplistic terms, I see atheists as being useful people, as they help strengthen theistic beliefs, even if that is not their intent.
    What atheism is for?

Herman 1 - What atheism is for?

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Justufy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Most atheists argue that religion is some kind of a crutch for the weak who cannot live their life without God, I argue that loving god, and doing his will means living your belief which can be a painful process sometimes, however for those that are madly in love with God it is not seen as a burden.

My point being that atheism also can be seen as a crutch as the atheists refuses to make the choice to believe in god thus avoiding what living one’s life with god is about: sacrifice, unconditional love, and goodness.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    While there are atheists who choose atheism because they desire to reject God(swt) I believe most are so simply because they do not see any evidence of God(swt).

There have been a few governments and social structures based upon atheism, communism probably the most recent and best known to people today.

Atheism exists because it can. God(swt) has willed for all possible things to be, therefore if it is possible it exists. Now, as to what is Atheism for? Possibly because without it we would not have true freedom of choice.

It is impossible for a theist to become an atheist without a conscious effort to find a reason to reject the existence of God(swt). Also, to try to understand atheism requires us theists to constantly reaffirm our own faith and increase our own reasons to belief. It helps force us to better understand our selfs and helps guide us in defending our beliefs when the need arises.

So in simplistic terms, I see atheists as being useful people, as they help strengthen theistic beliefs, even if that is not their intent.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head in that post.
    chat Quote

KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Justufy View Post
    Most atheists argue that religion is some kind of a crutch for the weak who cannot live their life without God, I argue that loving god, and doing his will means living your belief which can be a painful process sometimes, however for those that are madly in love with God it is not seen as a burden.

My point being that atheism also can be seen as a crutch as the atheists refuses to make the choice to believe in god thus avoiding what living one’s life with god is about: sacrifice, unconditional love, and goodness.
    Different people, different beliefs. Some people might lead a more fulfilling life while being religious, while others thrive in an a-religious setting. There is no one size/philosophy/lifestyle that fits all!
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

greetings, feedback apreciated.

my thoughts
    Yes..

I was wondering what Atheism brings to society and the world.

Well Atheism do provide some sort of balance. They allow us to consider different points of views.
    What atheism is for?

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    Rubbish. Communism was not 'based upon atheism'.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i didnt understand your question...

what do they bring to society?

well i havent benefitted from them one tiny little bit. Im sure i would have benefitted more from being taught from an islamic teacher then discussing with them yet i'll never stop discussing with them just out of hope that they'll see my view.

i will never stop thinking that society is better off without atheists

Assalamu Alaikum
    What atheism is for?

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble View Post
    Well its based on the political theory or system in which all property and wealth is owned in a classless society by all the members of that society. Atheism does play a role in Communism to some extent.
    What atheism is for?

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble View Post
    Communist states were atheist (not secular, secular states don't commit mass crimes against the religious believers).
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I met some people who believe atheism = secularism.

There are people who believe in God and there are people who don't believe in God. Some people adopt these beliefs.

There are some people who believe in God but have a religion which sets out how they should live their life while other people believe in God but don't follow any religion.

Same applies to atheism. There are people who don't believe in God and live a secular lifestyle where they are not bound by any structured belief system. While other atheists don't believe in God but have a set of values or are governed by an ideology like Communism.

That is my understanding of it :/
    What atheism is for?

chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The example of communism most people are most aware of was the former USSR, perhaps that is not the ideal form of communism or what communism is in a theoritical sense. But, it is what communism becomes. Under communism heism was an impossibility. To exist as a stte communism had to be the antithesis of theism. In other words Soviet Communism had to be Atheistic.

Atheism was the biggest building block in the foundational structure of Soviet Communism. If that is not being based on atheism, it is only a hair bredth distance from being so.

My Granparents and Parents lived parts of their life under Soviet Rule and many of my relatives lived their entire short lives under it. If they were still living and they were asked "what Communism was in a Soviet Block country?" their answer would be: Communism=atheism=communism=atheism or very similar words.

So this gives us another use for atheism, it gives us an example of what hell on earth can be, when people denounce the existence ot God(swt).
    What atheism is for?

Herman 1 - What atheism is for?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I was wondering what Atheism brings to society and the world. That theists don’t, I am curious on issues of spreading the idea of peace and joy to the world. does atheist spread those?
    Some secular ideologies and beliefs do exactly that, yes. I wouldn't call them 'atheist' per se though, since atheism is just a lack of belief in God. These secular ideologies often clash with some religious scripture though. For example, I do not think liberalism and Islam are compatible. It might well be compatible with some Buddhist denominations, I'm not sure.

do they have large organisations that help the poor the suffering etc?
    Absolutely. I think most charitable are secular. They exist to help humanity, not to please God. Don't forget that the countries with the biggest welfare states are somehow also the most secular.

Seeing everyone on here subscribing to atheism I’m sure it does bring something, surly being a very moderate theist(if I were a very adamant and by the book theist I would not be here) I’m missing out on the fun ??
    Hard to say. You are who you are. Perhaps you would be very unhappy without Islam. I think I would be less happy when I would be obligated to follow Islamic beliefs and rulings.

Btw, we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking that being religious is a real choice. IMHO it is not. Either you believe or you don't. I could put a gun to my head and I still couldn't force myself to start believing in God. You either have faith in the existence of God or you don't.

That is a very negative view of 'atheism'. My view is different. Atheism provides us the chance to follow our own conscience. To live for what we think is right. Religious beliefs are generally too much based on the collective, too much on a belief of "one size fits all". For some people some religious rulings would undermine the 'pursuit for happiness'. For example, I would consider the Islamic ruling against music a serious detriment to my happiness.

But it goes beyond the individual. I think on a societal level the big monotheistic religions are too much about worshiping God and too little about serving humanity. It simply does not provide us with a model that can help society progress, to lift us to new heights, scientifically, morally, socially and politically. It is reactionary at its core.

Because when you look at it, a theist thinker and atheist thinker are quite the same and identical if not for a lack in the atheist, the lack of faith,
    I don't understand what you are saying here. An 'atheist' thinker can embrace any kind of philosophy. If they were to embrace a liberal and individualistic philosophy they would certainly not be "quite the same and identical" to a 'theist' thinker.

because I tried to invision myself as an atheist, rejecting god and mocking him and his religion here and elsewhere regularly. and getting down the road, as my last breaths expires into the world.. and bearing the fear, in those lasts instants that I might have been wrong all these years.
    That just shows that you are incapable of truly envisioning yourself as an atheist, since apparently in "those last instants" you still assume a God exists. IMHO an atheist has no more to fear from death than a believer, who will always be in doubt whether he has properly followed Gods instructions. For me personally, the only fear of death is in the process of dying. I think it is fairly safe to assume that being dead will be very much the same as before I was born.
    Last edited by KAding; 11-09-2009 at 11:24 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

because I tried to invision myself as an atheist, rejecting god and mocking him and his religion here and elsewhere regularly.

I find it slightly odd that an Atheist would mock God. I know many do and I had the pleasure of meeting one. Though from my experience some mock and hate God so much that I get the impression that they do acknowledge his existence.
    What atheism is for?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow View Post
    Well its based on the political theory or system in which all property and wealth is owned in a classless society by all the members of that society. Atheism does play a role in Communism to some extent.
    I would agree with that. State-endorsed atheism is part of the Communist belief system, but it isn't based on it.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow View Post

I find it slightly odd that an Atheist would mock God. I know many do and I had the pleasure of meeting one. Though from my experience some mock and hate God so much that I get the impression that they do acknowledge his existence.
    In that case he wouldn't be an atheist of course. He probably just hates what he thinks God stands for. In other words, he hates certain religious doctrine. It is sometimes hard to keep the two apart, since obviously theists believe the doctrine to be 'produced' by God.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum, Justufy.

You've asked a number of questions here. I'll see if I can give you my thoughts on them one at a time.

I was wondering what Atheism brings to society and the world.
    This is a bit like asking what non-belief in fairies brings to the world. What should it bring? Atheism doesn't come equipped with moral guidance, dogmas and a sense of mission like religions do - it's a single metaphysical proposition.

That theists don’t, I am curious on issues of spreading the idea of peace and joy to the world. does atheist spread those?
    Some atheists do, some, I suppose, don't. If you don't believe in any gods, you're an atheist. All other aspects of your life are irrelevant to that categorisation.

For what it's worth (and it's not much), I think I've included the word 'Peace' in every post I've made on this forum. But anyway...

do they have large organisations that help the poor the suffering etc?
    There are many charities that are not explicitly religious, but I don't know of any that are distinctly atheist. I'm not sure why anyone would expect such a thing.

Seeing everyone on here subscribing to atheism I’m sure it does bring something, surly being a very moderate theist(if I were a very adamant and by the book theist I would not be here) I’m missing out on the fun ??
    I could be wrong, but I don't think many people decide to become atheists because they think they'll be able to live some kind of guilt-free life of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll as a result. I think it's more likely that they've thought about the question, and decided which position makes most sense to them.

My questions is , and I’m curious:
    because when you see it atheism is a choice to disconnect with God, what has that choice brought you atheists?
    If someone chooses to "disconnect with God", that implies they believe there is a god there to disconnect with. A more accurate way of stating it would be "a choice to disconnect with belief in god".

What has atheism brought me? It's the end result of a process of thinking, not something I went out looking for in the hope that it would bring me inner peace. I suppose atheism for me is simply the thought that there's a very obvious reason why all religions seem to me to be obviously man-made, a relic from the earlier days of our species when we hadn't a clue about the most basic natural processes that to a large degree govern our lives.

Actions still have consequences, even if you don't believe in god!

Or is it simply out of frustration of being blind to gods light. A prayer that has stayed unanswered...? A loved one that has departed in eternity? And of whose signs we can no longer perceive but in our hearts.
    This is the "are you an atheist because you're just so unhappy?" question. I've never really understood this one. What is supposed to be the connection between mood and belief or non-belief in god?

Yes. Why say it like it's a bad thing?

because I tried to invision myself as an atheist, rejecting god and mocking him and his religion here and elsewhere regularly. and getting down the road, as my last breaths expires into the world.. and bearing the fear, in those lasts instants that I might have been wrong all these years.so, im asking.
    just curiosity.
    Well, what if you're wrong? If there's no god, then some portion of your life has been wasted. That may or may not be a big deal. But what if there is a god, and you've picked the wrong one?

You could end up in a situation. Just as you (perhaps) think I will.

Besides, there have been many, many atheists who have gone to their deaths without feeling to the need for a sudden conversion. It hasn't stopped religious people from creating myths about them, though.

Peace
    Last edited by czgibson; 11-10-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Justufy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is not only about what atheism is morally, atheism is either a lack of insight, or a lack of wanting to see, there is 2 types of atheists, the one who cannot see, and the one who does not want to see.

sure you can lead a full life as an ateist, but you do not bring nothing morally, you just surf on the moral codes of your society.
    now how do you distinguish wright from wrong, you will not kill you will not steal because you know it is wrong, now why is that?
    the awnser is that gods insuflated a moral code in every humans even in those who deny him.
    and those morals are from god.

thus atheism seems stupidity.
    when god can be proven with faith but also with reason.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! What atheism is for? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. What atheism is for?