× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 76 visibility 8244

Danish Paper Apology over Cartoons

AlbanianMuslim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Danish paper apologises for printing Muhammad cartoon
    Kurt Westergaard Sept 2006
    Kurt Westergaard's cartoons have been widely reprinted

A Danish newspaper has apologised for any offence caused when it reprinted a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad with a bomb-shaped turban in 2008.

Politiken said it was apologising as part of a settlement with Muslim groups in the Middle East and Australia.

Other Danish newspapers criticised Politiken for its move.

Twelve cartoons of Muhammad were initially published in 2006, sparking widespread protests by Muslims in various countries.

Politiken - and other papers - republished one in 2008 when police uncovered an alleged plot to kill cartoonist Kurt Westergaard.

Politiken's pathetic prostrating before a Saudi lawyer takes the first prize in stupidity
    Joern Mikkelse
    Editor-in-chief of Jyllands-Posten

Editor-in-chief Toeger Seidenfaden said on Friday: "We apologise to anyone who was offended by our decision to reprint the cartoon drawing."

He told the Associated Press (AP) news agency that the paper still had the right to publish.

"We have the right to print Kurt Westergaard's drawings, we have the right to print the original 12 drawings, we have the right to print all the caricatures in the world," he said.

"We apologise for the offence which the reprint has caused. That is what we apologise for."

The editor-in-chief of Jyllands-Posten, the paper which originally published the cartoons, was highly critical of Politiken.

Joern Mikkelse said: "Politiken's pathetic prostrating before a Saudi lawyer takes the first prize in stupidity."

In 2006 Jyllands-Posten apologised for the offence caused by the drawings, but other European media reprinted them.

Speech setback

Danish embassies were then attacked by Muslims around the world and dozens killed in riots.

On Friday, the Danish Union of Journalists described Politiken as "kneeling before opponents of the freedom of press."

Mr Westergaard expressed disappointment: "I fear this is a setback for the freedom of speech," AP reported him as saying.

He went into hiding after publication amid threats to his life, but emerged in 2009 saying he wanted to live as normal a life as possible.

His house has been heavily fortified and is under close police protection, but on 1 January 2010 a Somali man was charged with trying to kill him.

The suspect, was shot by police outside Mr Westergaard's home in the city of Aarhus after he allegedly broke into the house armed with an axe and a knife.

Police say the suspect, who denies the charge, has links with Somali Islamist militants.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8539831.stm

2. Report bad ads?
    Musliman's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Danish Paper Apology over Cartoons

Aren't they like two years late ?

Asiyah3's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^I was thinking the same.

Those who believe and obscure not their belief by wrongdoing, theirs is safety; and they are rightly guided. (6:86)

Behold! verily on the friends of Allah there is no fear, nor shall they grieve. (10:62)

Souljette's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Souljette Of Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamualikum,
    Why even post pictures like this in the first place .. it's not about free speech it's about offending another religion ..if we did something like this they would sue us and there would be chaos already..didn't they think before postin a cartoon like that..and now they are apologizing that also 2 years later..

“The believers in their mutual kindness, compassion and sympathy are just like one body. When one of the limbs is afflicted, the whole body responds to it with sleeplessness and fever”.

www.souljette.wordpress.com

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette View Post
    Assalamualikum,
    Why even post pictures like this in the first place .. it's not about free speech it's about offending another religion ..if we did something like this they would sue us and there would be chaos already..didn't they think before postin a cartoon like that..and now they are apologizing that also 2 years later..
    Actually, something similar was done re Christianity a while back. That "art piece" was actually funded by the government. And while there were protests and outrage, there was no worldwide outrage or assassination plots I'm aware of. If you want to read about it see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piss_Christ or watch the BBC documentary "d a m n ed in the USA".

Skavau's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Note: this is not the original paper which the cartoonist published them in. This is another paper that republished them. Lots of newspapers and media outlets that republished apologised for the cartoons.

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How does a phony apology undo the damage? They can take their apologies and do the only good thing with it!

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Danish Paper Apology over Cartoons

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree that the apology is phony and cajoled. The question is why do they feel obligation to make it. I think it sends the wrong signal, that intimidation works.

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    I agree that the apology is phony and cajoled. The question is why do they feel obligation to make it. I think it sends the wrong signal, that intimidation works.
    Agreed indeed.. and as such when atheists and cartoonists behave like uncivilized, unrefined hooligans and immoral apes that they are, I don't want to hear a peep out of one of you-- unless you'd also like to add hypocrites to the list.. which in fact you also are!

all the best!

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Danish Paper Apology over Cartoons

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

They shouldn't have apologized as there is nothing to apologize. It's the rioters and embassy-destroyers that should apologize.

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    They shouldn't have apologized as there is nothing to apologize. It's the rioters and embassy-destroyers that should apologize.
    No.. in fact let it be a lesson, though I prefer the boycott route myself:

DENMARK: Islamic boycotts costing Danish firms millions a day

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/articl...parentid=38732

they can keep their toons, if being your economy can withstand your savagery.. however, even godless heathens have to bow to something and in this case it is money!

all the best!

Souljette's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Souljette Of Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamualikum,
    There is alot to apologize for but..why apologize for something you don't mean... if they knew or had a little respect they wouldn't have published it in the first place.. they deserve whatever they get.. they shouldn't even be allowed to run a newspaper.. there is also something called freedom of religion..that religion part just went out the window.. forget freedom of religion it is common sense that if you post somethin like this..you are expected to get hate..not praise ..sheesh they thought muslims would just sit back and shut up eh..

“The believers in their mutual kindness, compassion and sympathy are just like one body. When one of the limbs is afflicted, the whole body responds to it with sleeplessness and fever”.

www.souljette.wordpress.com

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye View Post
    No.. in fact let it be a lesson, though I prefer the boycott route myself:

DENMARK: Islamic boycotts costing Danish firms millions a day

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/articl...parentid=38732

they can keep their toons, if being your economy can withstand your savagery.. however, even godless heathens have to bow to something and in this case it is money!

all the best!
    This is really old and I think Arla foods was the only one to have taken a serious hit, but it's still in business. Denmark si not a large exporter into Muslim countries so any such boycot cannot hurt it severely, same with Israel, it doesn't export anything into Muslim countries and Muslims living in countries where it does export are to few to make a difference.

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

they havent apologised for printing, theyve apologised to anyone whos offended.
    not really an apology

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is really old and I think Arla foods was the only one to have taken a serious hit, but it's still in business. Denmark si not a large exporter into Muslim countries so any such boycot cannot hurt it severely, same with Israel, it doesn't export anything into Muslim countries and Muslims living in countries where it does export are to few to make a difference.

Actually it is, I have lived in the middle east and can tell you about the number of Danish products that me and my family alone are currently boycotting. We used to purchase nothing but danish cheeses and creams, and even their medical clogs..and I was introduced to those when I lived in Islamic countries-- now multiply that by millions of others!

So the article is quite accurate and has made quite a painful difference, and I suspect it is why half baked apologies are cropping up all over the place!

all the best

Skavau's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Souljette View Post
    Assalamualikum,
    There is alot to apologize for but..why apologize for something you don't mean... if they knew or had a little respect they wouldn't have published it in the first place.. they deserve whatever they get.. they shouldn't even be allowed to run a newspaper.. there is also something called freedom of religion..that religion part just went out the window.. forget freedom of religion it is common sense that if you post somethin like this..you are expected to get hate..not praise ..sheesh they thought muslims would just sit back and shut up eh..
    I don't get what you mean by 'freedom of religion' here. Why do you think a cartoon being posted that portrays a belief system in a mocking way infringes on freedom of religion?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Actually it is, I have lived in the middle east and can tell you about the number of Danish products that me and my family alone are currently boycotting. We used to purchase nothing but danish cheeses and creams, and even their medical clogs..and I was introduced to those when I lived in Islamic countries-- now multiply that by millions of others!

So the article is quite accurate and has made quite a painful difference, and I suspect it is why half baked apologies are cropping up all over the place!

all the best
    The article is 4 years old.
    How many other apologies like this one have you seen?

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The article is 4 years old.
    How many other apologies like this one have you seen?
    The cartoons aren't soon to dissipate from Muslim memories so the boycott is ongoing.. you should employ some logic!

all the best!

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The cartoons aren't soon to dissipate from Muslim memories so the boycott is ongoing.. you should employ some logic!

all the best!
    The article said 4 years ago the damages will spread from Arla foods on to other companies and strike the danish economy with a fatal blow, which didn't happen.
    And you suggested the apology comes in as means of stopping the boycott and helping the economy. How many such apologies are there and why only now?

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The article said 4 years ago the damages will spread from Arla foods on to other companies and strike the danish economy with a fatal blow, which didn't happen.
    And you suggested the apology comes in as means of stopping the boycott and helping the economy. How many such apologies are there and why only now?
    Hurting their economy doesn't equate to fatal blow, if they can withstand it with current global economic crisis as well their unemployment rate then kudos to them, as far as the Muslim end of things, the boycott is ongoing.. I haven't touched a danish product and have a wide market from which to choose, question is can they always withstand this?

And No, we are not looking for an apology, we are looking to teach others that actions have a consequence. I don't put much stock on apologies from the scum of the earth and their supporters. I am looking to focus on what I can do shouldered by other Muslims in their show of solidarity.

all the best!

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Danish Paper Apology over Cartoons Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Danish Paper Apology over Cartoons