× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 24 visibility 4286

Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

SubhanAllah!

Please beware. Video contains disturbing scenes.

http://www.savejapandolphins.com/

http://www.savejapandolphins.com/

Last edited by Snowflake; 10-11-2010 at 10:24 PM.

2. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

I am approving this thread for one reason only. I strongly feel it is wrong to cause needless pain to any of Allaah(swt)'s creation. This is cruel and inexcusable treatment of a creation of Allaah(swt).

Herman 1 - Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Jazak Allah khayr for approving post Br. Woodrow.

Please sign petition here: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/petitions/252

(Shame the petitions on face book. I don't have an account so I can't sign it.) : (

brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Please pass it on to everyone you know. This has got to be stopped. InshaAllah.

6. Report bad ads?
    Maryan0's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I dont understand this. Uneccessary cruelty to any animal is wrong but if they're selling it as meat and people are eating it why should they be condemned for it? (besides the issue of mercury). It's not like the fur business where animals are killed in inhumane ways just so rich people can have fur or sharks having their only fins cut off just to make a special soup.
    This kind of reminds me of the issue of seal hunting done by the Inuit. These people have others protesting against them and calling for bans to seal meat, but seal hunting is their livilihood and how they survive. Conditions in slaughter houses in the west are terrible and boiling lobsters alive is wrong but I dont see protests against that. I dont understand this picking and choosing of causes.
    Salam

Amoeba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Lisa0 View Post
    I dont understand this. Uneccessary cruelty to any animal is wrong but if they're selling it as meat and people are eating it why should they be condemned for it? (besides the issue of mercury).
    It doesn't matter how the meat is used, there should be no excuse for needless cruelty. Why does selling it as meat make it justifiable, especially when the meat is unsafe to eat?

It's not like the fur business where animals are killed in inhumane ways just so rich people can have fur or sharks having their only fins cut off just to make a special soup.
    The only thing that makes this any different from your examples is the precise manner in which the animal is killed and used after slaughter. The means of killing is still brutally cruel in this case and no better than the way animals are killed for fur or fins.

This kind of reminds me of the issue of seal hunting done by the Inuit. These people have others protesting against them and calling for bans to seal meat, but seal hunting is their livilihood and how they survive.
    Exactly, it's a livelihood and a means of survival. These dolphins, however, are not slaughtered for the same reasons nor in the same manner (traditionally, far more considerate than the means of slaughter used on these dolphins), so it is a very different situation.

Conditions in slaughter houses in the west are terrible and boiling lobsters alive is wrong but I dont see protests against that. I dont understand this picking and choosing of causes.
    Salam
    Actually you'll find that poor slaughter house conditions are furiously protested against by many people, including by people living in western countries.

Cabdullahi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why do we have to have celebrities tell us...things...its ridiculous...lets fight for the dolphins and for the African babies that are taken away from their countries by.....celebs

Muhaba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    فصبرٌ جميلٌ
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Couldn't see the video.

there is nothing wrong with eating from sustenance provided by Allah but if they are being slaughtered in inhuman cruel ways, then that should be stopped. I don't agree with those who say that dolphins or whales are endangered and shouldn't be eaten. If Allah wants to keep whales from going extinct, He will do so. And if Allah wants them to get extinct, then it will happen no matter how much people try to save them. Allah has made seafood halal and it should be eaten when possible. Trying to save dolphins from becoming extinct when there are starving people is dumb and inhuman.

Amoeba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba View Post
    Couldn't see the video.

there is nothing wrong with eating from sustenance provided by Allah but if they are being slaughtered in inhuman cruel ways, then that should be stopped. I don't agree with those who say that dolphins or whales are endangered and shouldn't be eaten. If Allah wants to keep whales from going extinct, He will do so. And if Allah wants them to get extinct, then it will happen no matter how much people try to save them. Allah has made seafood halal and it should be eaten when possible. Trying to save dolphins from becoming extinct when there are starving people is dumb and inhuman.
    Well in summary the videos show the inhumane manner in which the dolphins are killed (rounded up into cramped spaces and then impaled by a spear-like object by people in boats, death is far from instant as could be seen by an escapee in the video that was writing and surfacing for air frantically before giving in and sinking under the surface, lots of blood could be seen). The thing about dolphins is that not being fish, but instead mammals, and highly intelligent mammals at that, they experience fear and distress at the situation alone of being rounded up amongst their panicked kin, never mind when it comes to actually being slaughtered. Then on top of that being apex predators and thus bearing the brunt of the bioaccumulation process there is unsafe levels of mercury in their tissues - which is sold as meat. :/

I honestly don't know if there really is a humane way to hunt dolphins, or a way to prepare their meat to make it safe. I guess if you eat it on occasion it probably won't harm you, but eat it even semi-regularly and you yourself (i.e. whoever is eating it) may become another link in the chain of mercury accumulation, and even may suffer from mercury poisoning as other top meat-eaters have done.

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    It doesn't matter how the meat is used, there should be no excuse for needless cruelty. Why does selling it as meat make it justifiable, especially when the meat is unsafe to eat?
    Like I stated before in my original post unnecessary cruelty to any animal is wrong. I also mentioned the mercury aspect, but besides that if they are eating the meat I dont care. I do think it's more cruel to kill an animal for sport than it is to kill them to eat so yes I do believe that changes the situation somewhat. It's isnt justifiable but I wont be quick to condemn.

The only thing that makes this any different from your examples is the precise manner in which the animal is killed and used after slaughter. The means of killing is still brutally cruel in this case and no better than the way animals are killed for fur or fins.
    Yes it is brutal. Should they pull them out in fishing nets and make them suffocate instead?
    I dont believe it's the same as a shark having it's fin cut off or an animal skinned alive for their fur.

Exactly, it's a livelihood and a means of survival. These dolphins, however, are not slaughtered for the same reasons nor in the same manner (traditionally, far more considerate than the means of slaughter used on these dolphins), so it is a very different situation.
    How so? is bashing a seal over the head repeatedly humane to you?
    If the fisherman are told by the government to kill the dolphins for pest control and the dolphin meat is then sold on the market than that is their livelihood. Dont blame the fisherman blame the system. That one example they showed does not encompass all dolphin hunting or whaling there are a great deal of people that hunt dolphins to survive. It really bugs me when some rich westerners come to the other side of the world to condemn people there is plenty they can condemn at home.

Actually you'll find that poor slaughter house conditions are furiously protested against by many people, including by people living in western countries.
    To the extent that this situation and whaling is? I dont see people getting this mad over how cows are slaughtered and chopped up while theyre still practically alive or lobster being boiled alive. There is a disparity there and I think it's because dolphins are cute creatures.
    salam

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I dont understand this. Uneccessary cruelty to any animal is wrong but if they're selling it as meat and people are eating it why should they be condemned for it? (besides the issue of mercury). It's not like the fur business where animals are killed in inhumane ways just so rich people can have fur or sharks having their only fins cut off just to make a special soup.
    This kind of reminds me of the issue of seal hunting done by the Inuit. These people have others protesting against them and calling for bans to seal meat, but seal hunting is their livilihood and how they survive. Conditions in slaughter houses in the west are terrible and boiling lobsters alive is wrong but I dont see protests against that. I dont understand this picking and choosing of causes.
    Salam
    Have to agree with that-- I mean we take live lobsters and put them in a boiling watery grave
    0 1 - Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

.. I see no protests against that either-- I don't think sharks or whales are Halal to eat but if it is food and livelihood for some, then I think we should focus our efforts on people being slaughtered like say in Palestine.. would rather save human life than concern myself with whales in Japan..

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

till practically alive or lobster being boiled alive
    Hadn't even seen that when I made my comment above.. but yeah seriously...
    I feel that even in the animal kingdom there is favoritism and hypocrisy.. especially from those PETA tree hugging freaks.
    We have dominion over animals.. I don't agree to unnecessary torture but we are meant to use them for food, protection, clothing, travel etc..
    al7mdlillah one of the many blessings of Allah swt

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ View Post

Have to agree with that-- I mean we take live lobsters and put them in a boiling watery grave
    0 1 - Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

.. I see no protests against that either-- I don't think sharks or whales are Halal to eat but if it is food and livelihood for some, then I think we should focus our efforts on people being slaughtered like say in Palestine.. would rather save human life than concern myself with whales in Japan..

I agree.
    I thought everything in the ocean was halal?
    Salam

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree.
    Salam
    My understanding is that we are not to eat predator type creatures like lions/ sharks etc.
    I don't know about dolphins.. also it doesn't seem safe to eat them anyway-- but I repeat that I don't condone torture to any of God's creature, if they are used for the better of mankind and not simply to mount on the wall or for the thrill of the hunt then I see no harm in that..

18. Report bad ads?
    Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree.
    Salam
    Are sea mammals included?

I remember that animals who live in 2 worlds (water and land) haram to eat? like amphibians (frogs, etc).

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ View Post

My understanding is that we are not to eat predator type creatures like lions/ sharks etc.
    I don't know about dolphins.. also it doesn't seem safe to eat them anyway-- but I repeat that I don't condone torture to any of God's creature, if they are used for the better of mankind and not simply to mount on the wall or for the thrill of the hunt then I see no harm in that..

I think the different madhabs have different opinions on animals in the ocean. According to the shafi'i madhab everything in the ocean is halal to eat. Allahu alam.
    Salam

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar View Post
    Are sea mammals included?

I remember that animals who live in 2 worlds (water and land) haram to eat? like amphibians (frogs, etc).
    From what I was taught everything that resides in the oceans are considered halal. As to animals that live on both, I have no idea?
    Salam

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Islam definitely does not allow torture of animals. remember the story of a lady who went to hell because she purposefully let her cat died from thirst?

Either we kill animals because they are dangerous (snakes, scorpions, etc) and pest (rats), or we kill them to eat in a way prescribed by islam (ie. slaughter to minimise their sufferings), but we must not torture them.

Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Slave of Allaah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Astagfirullaah this is soo soo sad

"Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

=Lisa0;1376275]I dont understand this. Uneccessary cruelty to any animal is wrong but if they're selling it as meat and people are eating it why should they be condemned for it?
    Sis, I think you haven't watched the video. They aren't selling the meat. They're giving it away for free to schools. It's not even for necessity. According to them the dolphins are pests who are consuming too many fish which is seen as a big loss to fisheries.

(besides the issue of mercury). It's not like the fur business where animals are killed in inhumane ways just so rich people can have fur or sharks having their only fins cut off just to make a special soup.
    You should watch the video. Hacking away at an animal and causing it to die slowly suffering in pain is inhumane.

Salam

There is no scarcity of food in Japan. And even if there was, it wouldn't justify causing suffering to an animal. If is hadn't been for the activists, this annual slaughter would have remained a well kept secret from the world as well as the Japanese public. Before the event was caught on tape after months of preparation, one fisherman quipped that if the world knew what was going on they'd be shut down. Why the guilt? They don't feel the same fear when dicing chickens. So even they know what they are doing is beyond acceptable. I don't see how this act can be compared to people killing seals if they have nothing else to eat.

=muhaba;1376348]Couldn't see the video
    Try viewing it at www.savejapandolphins.com inshaAllah.

there is nothing wrong with eating from sustenance provided by Allah ---------------- but if they are being slaughtered in inhuman cruel ways, then that should be stopped

There are rules to be followed when eating from Allah's provision. The pre-Islamic arabs used to cut parts out of an animal to eat while it was alive. It was our beloved prophet (saw) who put a stop to this cruelty, and forbade maiming and disfiguring animals, regardless whether that animal was made halal for us to eat. Allah has ordained kindness in everything, including the slaughter of animals for food. We have a huge responsibility toward His creatures. Their being food for us does not in anyway make them less important. This is why it's so important to help this cause, inshaAllah. "He (Allah) it is Who made you vicegerents on Earth; he who disavows, the burden of disavowal will be on him..." (Quran 35:39)

The share of all of Allah's creatures is His bounties is emphasized in the following verses. Then if a people are killing Allah creatures purely because they are seen as pests for eating their share of what Allah has provided for them, then we must protest. Now we have not one (unnecessary suffering) not two (mercury) but three (denying animals their basic rights) reasons to protest.

"Then let man look at his food: how We pour water in showers, then turn up the earth into fiurrow-slices and cause cereals to grow therein - grapes and green fodder, olive trees and palm trees; and luxurious orchards, fruits and grasses. Provision for you as well as your cattle." (Quran 80:32)

"And He it is Who sends the winds, as glad tidings heralding His mercy. And We send down pure water from the clouds, that We may give life thereby, by watering the parched, and slake the thirst of those We have created - both animals and humans being in multitude." (Quran 25:48, 49)

I don't agree with those who say that dolphins or whales are endangered and shouldn't be eaten. If Allah wants to keep whales from going extinct, He will do so. And if Allah wants them to get extinct, then it will happen no matter how much people try to save them. Allah has made seafood halal and it should be eaten when possible. Trying to save dolphins from becoming extinct when there are starving people is dumb and inhuman.
    Sorry, I disagree. If something is in danger of being harmed/extinction due to man's greed, then we have a responsibility to stop it. To say we shouldn't do something because if Allah wanted, He would've done so Himself, is like saying let's stop helping one another because if Allah wanted He would've done so Himself. Allah has given us responsibilities and limits and tests. Allah has been providing His entire Creation for billions of years. There's no excuse to end an entire species because people are too selfish to enjoy alternatives.

dolphin - Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan

"Seest thou not that it is Allah Whose praises are celebrated by all being in the heavens and on earth, and by the birds that fly with extended wings? Each one knows its psalm, and Allah is aware of what they do." Quran 24:41)

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Please Help End Mass Slaughter of Dolphins in Japan