× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 16 of 16 visibility 7918

The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

By: Andrew Munro September 03, 2012 655,261 views
    Add to Favorites

143999 1?v1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    emailbtn 1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet

You probably think you know everything you need to about worms. They're just wiggling tubes of flesh with indistinguishable asses and faces that commit suicide on sidewalks during rainstorms. All caught up. But the benign worms you're used to seeing speared on fishhooks and fried up in children's literature are only a tiny percent of all the species of worm out there. And when we say "out there," we mean "crawling free of the bowels of hell as we speak."
    #6. Bobbit Worm

At over 10 feet long, bobbit worms are about the closest thing we have to the sand worm in Dune. They have toxic bristles up and down their body that can cause permanent nerve damage to anyone who touches them, and they feed by grabbing their prey with massive, strong jaws and sucking it down into the sand.
    They are ambush predators that wait in shallow waters with only about a tenth of their body poking out of the sand and their mouths stretched completely open. As soon as one of their antennae detects something in the water, they lunge for it, even if it's than they are. Their strikes, it should be noted, are so powerful that they'll sometimes accidentally just cut fish in half while trying to grab them. So don't be fooled by the fact that, up close, it's the iridescent color of a middle school girl's Trapper Keeper.
    143981 1?v1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    Dante's Inferno would have been so much scarier if he'd known anything about the ocean.
    To get a sense of how horrifying these worms are, at Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium in the U.K., they couldn't figure out what was eating all their fish each night. They set up traps with fishing line and hooks, and each morning the lines were snapped and the hooks and bait were gone. After taking the aquarium apart, they found a massive bobbit worm in the sand that had apparently just been digesting the hooks.
    Oh, and the bobbit worm, just like us, prefers warm, shallow waters. So we're probably going to have to let them have the good beaches for now.
    #5. Ragworms

As you can see, the ragworm has an earwig's ass for a face. Those pincers right around its face hole are extraordinarily strong, too -- they can provide a nasty bite when the ragworm is threatened because the mandibles are made out of a unique substance that's both harder and lighter than most synthetic material we have. As a result, scientists have been ecstatically tearing the jaws off these worms so they can get them under a microscope and hopefully replicate it.
    But as a non-scientist, this worm is all downsides for you. Think of all your least favorite characteristics of insects, spiders and worms, then combine them all together. It has the body of a centipede divided up into about 120 segments, each with its own set of appendages to help it swim or writhe around on land. It lives in slime-lined holes in shallow waters and spins a sticky web of mucus over the entrance like some kind of mutated snot spider.
    143994 1?v1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    "Anybody got a tissue ... or a flamethrower?"
    Unlike spiders, though, who have to hang around until something's dumb enough to fly into their webs, ragworms undulate around in just the right way to create currents in the water near their trap. Any prey unlucky enough to get caught in those currents is helplessly drawn into the web, and then the ragworm just consumes the whole thing, snot web and all, because, and we can't stress this enough, it's just awful. Here's another look at its face:
    Just ... wow. To the ragworm's credit, that view is more hilarious than terrifying. It looks like it just wriggled out of Jim Henson's imagination. It also has that shocked expression that says it's as surprised as anyone that it's been allowed to live this long. Oh, and did we mention they can get up to 3 feet long? So keep that in mind the next time everybody wants to go skinny dipping off the banks of some dark body of water.
    #4. Eulagisca gigantea

If you're not sure what you're looking at there, let's back up. At first glance, Eulagisca gigantea doesn't seem that threatening. It is only about 8 inches long, lives far off in the waters of Antarctica and looks vaguely like it could stand in for a dustpan broom in a pinch.
    143984 1?v1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    If ALF used condoms, they'd look sort of like this.
    Aside from that creepy, sunken head, you might almost be tempted to run your fingers through its bristles. But just be aware that there is no guarantee you would get all your fingers back. Let us show you why:
    143985 1?v1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    It's basically a Swiffer designed by H.P. Lovecraft.
    Surprise! That sunken head in the first photo is actually a whole retractable mouth with fangs. So aside from looking like a face-hugger with little blond ponytails instead of tentacles, E. gigantea also has the deflated head of a chest-burster.
    143986 1?v1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    "Hello, we'll be in your nightmares this evening."
    Additionally, the worms have full body armor. They have tiny protective scales across their entire midsection designed to keep them safe from their main threats, which presumably are people in exosuits looking to make a name for themselves. Scientists still don't know much about their diets or how they breed, partially because they live deep in the oceans of Antarctica, and partially because why would anyone get to know something they're already certain they hate?
    | Likes IbnAbdulHakim, CosmicPathos liked this post

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet

I'd say HPV cauliflower bloom still is more disgusting to look at than these worms.
    Last edited by CosmicPathos; 09-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.
    | Likes BadOlPuttyTat liked this post

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

oh you saw those did ya? first time I saw one on well I'll spare the details but that's another day that went into the archives.

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

kankhajoora called millipede as name sujjests(pede) having many legs.I have seen this in village.Worst part it can crawl forward as well as backward. Seeing this even it was killed, I was feeling it is crawling on my back ,on legs.lol

scolopendra 1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have deep seated hatred for kan-khajooras since once it crawled up on my body whn I was asleep at age of about 8 years.

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

White Rose's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pure Purple View Post
    kankhajoora called millipede as name sujjests(pede) having many legs.I have seen this in village.Worst part it can crawl forward as well as backward. Seeing this even it was killed, I was feeling it is crawling on my back ,on legs.lol

scolopendra 1 - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    Aren't they called centipedes?
    They scare me the most

format_quote Originally Posted by CosmicPathos View Post
    I have deep seated hatred for kan-khajooras since once it crawled up on my body whn I was asleep at age of about 8 years.
    That happened to my mother. It crawled up on her back.Good thing she wasn't bit. It didn't bite you did it?

chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Woohoo, Cracked.com! I've gotta write an article for them sometime and make some moolah.
    chat Quote

Who Am I?'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Where's Kurt Russell with a flamethrower when we need him?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    Woohoo, Cracked.com! I've gotta write an article for them sometime and make some moolah.
    can I cash in with ya just because?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Riana17's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    La ilaha illa Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It scares me
    one picture looks like an alien, I dont like it
    Good education however loool

The HIGHEST accomplishment I can achieve in this worldly life is to be a TRUE MUSLIM. (me)

wwwislamicboardcom - The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet
    chat Quote

tranquility's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I hope I never have to see one of those things.
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW!!!

i actually felt spooked reading this!

UTTERLY SPOOKED!

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I find them cute.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Ramadan90's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos View Post
    I find them cute.
    What?! LOL

*side eye*
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Bint-e-Adam's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

uhhhh. really terrified
    chat Quote

joesixpack's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I grabbed a handful of annelid worm (very similar to the second one pictured) unwittingly while cleaning a bunch of mussels my wife brought home from the grocery. When I saw it in my hand I jumped about 10 feet in the air. I will never look at a sack of shellfish the same way again.
    chat Quote

21. Hide
Hey there! The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. The 5 Most Nightmarish Worms on the Planet