Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel

Report bad ads?

Sura 2:47 and 2:122 say, "O Children of Israel, remember My favor that I
    have bestowed upon you and that I preferred you over the worlds"
    (quran.com).

Another version has it worded a little differently. "O Children of Israel!
    Remember My favour wherewith I favoured you and how I preferred
    you to (all) creatures" (quranexplorer.com).

According to the Quran/Hadiths, why were the children of Israel (Jacob)
    preferred over the children of Ishmael (Isaac's brother), or even Esau (Jacob's
    brother)?

Thanks,
    Jim
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel

Perhaps you should read the entire Quran not selective verses and put them in proper chronology?

We're in fact the best Ummah, and the one that will make the prophet proud on the day of judgement when every prophet comes with his work and some will have one, and some will have a few like Lut the prophet Mohammed will come with billions
    Al-Imran (The Family of Imran)[3:110]attention 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel [RECITE]
    3 110 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    Kuntum khayra ommatin okhrijat lilnnasi tamuroona bialmaAAroofi watanhawna AAani almunkari watuminoona biAllahi walaw amana ahlu alkitabi lakana khayran lahum minhumu almuminoona waaktharuhumu alfasiqoona
    3:110 Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah. If only the People of the Book had faith, it were best for them: among them are some who have faith, but most of them are perverted transgressors.

the verse you quoted merely speaks of the Muslims of their time, the true and only monotheists whom God has guided over the disbelievers until they themselves became disbelievers and Idolators.

see the verse I quoted. Muslims are the best of people!

| Likes Ali_008 liked this post

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel

chat Quote

theplains's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by شَادِنُ View Post

Perhaps you should read the entire Quran not selective verses and put them in proper chronology?

the verse you quoted merely speaks of the Muslims of their time,
    You misunderstood my question. It is not about chronology. I understand your point about 3:110 (Ye are
    the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in
    Allah), but why did the Quran record God "preferred you [the Children of Israel] to (all) creatures" (where
    all creatures would include the children of Ishmael and Esau for example)?

As a sign of the favour that God granted the Children of Israel in 2:47, Sura 5:21 further says: "O my people,
    enter the Holy Land which Allah has assigned to you" (quran.com).
    Does the Quran ever say the Holy Land
    was assigned to someone else?

Thanks,
    Jim

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by theplains View Post
    You misunderstood my question. It is not about chronology. I understand your point about 3:110 (Ye are
    the best of peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in
    Allah), but why did the Quran record God "preferred you [the Children of Israel] to (all) creatures" (where
    all creatures would include the children of Ishmael and Esau for example)?
    I am not sure why you are having such a difficult time registering what is being said? They were the believers of their time hence the chronology. The children of Israel were an ummah before our ummah. The Ummah of the believers is preferred over all mankind simply because mankind of the time i.e the remnants of people of Aad were an evil folks. hence the rest of the verses. Please try to read the entire verses. Yes Allah praised but then what did they do?

5:20 to top

5 20 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    { و } اذكر { إذ قال موسى لقومه يا قوم اذكروا نعمة الله عليكم إذ جعل فيكم } أي منكم { أنبياء وجعلكم ملوكا } أصحاب خدم وحشم { وآتاكم ما لم يؤت أحدا من العالمين } من المن والسلوى وفلق البحر وغير ذلك .
    Sahih International
    And [mention, O Muhammad], when Moses said to his people, "O my people, remember the favor of Allah upon you when He appointed among you prophets and made you possessors and gave you that which He had not given anyone among the worlds.

5:21 to top

5 21 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    { يا قوم ادخلوا الأرض المقدَّسة } المطهرة { التي كتب الله لكم } أمركم بدخولها وهي الشام { ولا ترتدُّوا على أدباركم } تنهزموا خوف العدو { فتنقلبوا خاسرين } في سعيكم .
    Sahih International
    O my people, enter the Holy Land which Allah has assigned to you and do not turn back [from fighting in Allah 's cause] and [thus] become losers."

5:22 to top

5 22 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    { قالوا يا موسى إن فيها قوما جبارين } من بقايا عاد طوالا ذي قوة { وإنا لن ندخلها حتى يخرجوا منها فإن يخرجوا منها فإنا داخلون } لها .
    Sahih International
    They said, "O Moses, indeed within it is a people of tyrannical strength, and indeed, we will never enter it until they leave it; but if they leave it, then we will enter."

5:23 to top

5 23 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    { قال } لهم { رجلان من الذين يخافون } مخالفة أمر الله وهما يوشع وكالب من النقباء الذين بعثهم موسى في كشف أحوال الجبابرة { أنعم الله عليهما } بالعصمة فكتما ما اطَّلعا عليه من حالهم إلا عن موسى بخلاف بقية النقباء فأفشوه فجبنوا { ادخلوا عليهم الباب } باب القرية ولا تخشوهم فإنهم أجساد بلا قلوب { فإذا دخلتموه فإنكم غالبون } قالا ذلك تيقناً بنصر الله وإنجاز وعده { وعلى الله فتوكلوا إن كنتم مؤمنين } .
    Sahih International
    Said two men from those who feared [to disobey] upon whom Allah had bestowed favor, "Enter upon them through the gate, for when you have entered it, you will be predominant. And upon Allah rely, if you should be believers."

5:24 to top

5 24 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    { قالوا يا موسى إنا لن ندخلها أبدا ماداموا فيها فاذهب أنت وربُّك فقاتلا } هم { إنا ها هنا قاعدون } عن القتال .
    Sahih International
    They said, "O Moses, indeed we will not enter it, ever, as long as they are within it; so go, you and your Lord, and fight. Indeed, we are remaining right here."

5:25 to top

5 25 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    { قال } موسى حينئذ { رب إني لا أملك إلا نفسي و } إلا { أخي } ولا أملك غيرهما فاجبرهم على الطاعة { فافرق } فافصل { بيننا وبين القوم الفاسقين } .
    Sahih International
    [Moses] said, "My Lord, indeed I do not possess except myself and my brother, so part us from the defiantly disobedient people."

5:26 to top

5 26 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel
    ( قال ) تعالى له ( فإنها ) أي الأرض المقدسة ( محرمة عليهم ) أن يدخلوها ( أربعين سنة يتيهون ) يتحيرون ( في الأرض ) وهي تسعة فراسخ قاله ابن عباس ( فلا تأس ) تحزن ( على القوم الفاسقين ) روي أنهم كانوا يسيرون الليل جادين فإذا أصبحوا إذا هم في الموضع الذي ابتدأوا منه ويسيرون النهار كذلك حتى انقرضوا كلهم إلا من لم يبلغ العشرين ، قيل : وكانوا ستمائة ألف ومات هارون وموسى في التيه وكان رحمة لهما وعذابا لأولئك وسأل موسى ربه عند موته أن يدنيه من الأرض المقدسة رمية بحجر فأدناه كما في الحديث ، ونبئ يوشع بعد الأربعين وأمر بقتال الجبارين فسار بمن بقي معه وقاتلهم وكان يوم الجمعة ووقفت له الشمس ساعة حتى فرغ من قتالهم ، وروى أحمد في مسنده حديث "" إن الشمس لم تحبس على بشر إلا ليوشع ليالي سار إلى بيت المقدس "" .
    Sahih International
    [ Allah ] said, "Then indeed, it is forbidden to them for forty years [in which] they will wander throughout the land. So do not grieve over the defiantly disobedient people."

God reminded them of his favor upon them, choosing them for the message of monotheism and yet what do they do? They tell Moses go & your god and fight. So what happened to them again per verses? So do not grieve over a people so disobedient.

I have already covered who the holy land was assigned to on various other threads. Why do you repeat the same questions if you don't accept the replies given?

best,

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The children of Israel were an ummah before our ummah. The Ummah of the believers is preferred over all mankind...

God reminded them of his favor upon them, choosing them for the message of monotheism ...

Was there an ummah of the people of Ishmael while Ishmael was living somewhere in Arabia?

According to the Quran or Hadiths (in the time referenced by sura 2:47), why did God favor the children of
    Israel by choosing them for the message of monotheism instead of the children of Ishmael or Esau? What
    specific time range (using the terms B.C to A.D.) is sura 2:47 referring to?

Thanks,
    Jim

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Was there an ummah of the people of Ishmael while Ishmael was living somewhere in Arabia?

According to the Quran or Hadiths (in the time referenced by sura 2:47), why did God favor the children of
    Israel by choosing them for the message of monotheism instead of the children of Ishmael or Esau? What
    specific time range (using the terms B.C to A.D.) is sura 2:47 referring to?

Thanks,
    Jim

I really don't understand what it is you are having difficulty with? There's NO INSTEAD, I have already told you it is a matter of chronology if you don't understand that, then perhaps posing it this way:
    Who came first Zacharia or Mohammed?
    Hopefully that's putting it in terms that are easy for you to grasp. The children of Ishmael the greatest nation to mankind came later is all there's to it!

best,

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I really don't understand what it is you are having difficulty with?

What specific time frame (using the terms B.C and/or A.D.) is sura 2:47 referring to?

Thanks,
    Jim
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What specific time frame (using the terms B.C and/or A.D.) is sura 2:47 referring to?

Thanks,
    Jim
    It is refering to the time of Moses and it is very clear since it is quoted to you in sequence & context above!

chat Quote

Indian Bro's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks,
    Jim
    As-salamu alaykum,

There's no such thing as "B.C." or "A.D." according to Muslims, so please use "B.C.E." or "C.E." instead in an Islamic Forum because by saying things like "A.D." you are indirectly insulting our beliefs, thank you for understanding.

Salam 3laikum
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Indian Bro View Post
    you are indirectly insulting our beliefs
    In what way bro is using a different calendar insulting? I haven't see anything in Quran or Sunnah that state such a thing?
    He simply has no understanding of the questions he asks including the use of past tense in Arabic which renders him completely ignorant.
    Jesus and other prophets existed before H. and nothing forbids referring to the time period they existed using a different calendar!

and Allah knows best,

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In what way bro is using a different calendar insulting? I haven't see anything in Quran or Sunnah that state such a thing?
    He simply has no understanding of the questions he asks including the use of past tense in Arabic which renders him completely ignorant.
    Jesus and other prophets existed before H. and nothing forbids referring to the time period they existed using a different calendar!

and Allah knows best,

As-salamu alaykum,

I apologize for any misunderstandings. But I understand that "A.D." means "After death of Isa (PBUH)" which is blasphemous according to Islam because Isa (PBUH) did not die. So I feel it is preferable to use "C.E." or "B.C.E." which are abbreviations of "Christian Era" and "Before Christian Era" respectively. By using the latter we are not indirectly speaking of our beloved Prophet Isa (PBUH) dying.

I apologize if I had come across declearing this as a fatwa or some ruling, this is just my opinion and personal view. If you don't agree with me I hope you can kindly increase my understanding.

And Allah knows best.

Salam 3laikum
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I apologize if I had come across declearing this as a fatwa or some ruling,
    No need to apologize but A.D means Anno Domini which is counting the years after his era- pls don't apologize. it is a common misunderstanding...

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No need to apologize but A.D means Anno Domini which is counting the years after his era- pls don't apologize. it is a common misunderstanding...

As-salamu alaykum

I thank you for enlightening me about this new abbreviation "Anno Domini", as I have never heard of this before and I'm happy to know about it now. However when I searched Wikipedia for this term it showed me:

The term Anno Domini is Medieval Latin, translated as In the year of the Lord, and as in the year of our Lord. It is sometimes specified more fully as Anno Domini Nostri Iesu (Jesu) Christi ("In the Year of Our Lord Jesus Christ").

So from my understanding, isn't "Anno Domini" still going against our Islamic beliefs?
    Salam 3laikum
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

still going against our Islamic beliefs?
    in what way? a calendar is a calendar.. we're not subscribing to their beliefs simply by looking at this specific way of keeping time!

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

in what way? a calendar is a calendar.. we're not subscribing to their beliefs simply by looking at this specific way of keeping time!

As-salamu alaykum

I apologize if I didn't convey what I meant to say clearly enough. I did not mean in anyway that following the Christian calender would be wrong, I just feel that saying things like "A.D." and so on are against our beliefs so i feel it would be preferable to use terms like "B.E.C." or "C.E.". The two definitions of A.D. that you and I mentioned, according to me, are anti-Islamic, whereas "B.E.C." and "C.E." would not be anti-Islamic as they just mean "Before Christian Era" and "Christian Era" respectively. I hope this has cleared any misunderstandings from my part.

Salam 3laikum.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As-salamu alaykum,

There's no such thing as "B.C." or "A.D." according to Muslims, so please use "B.C.E." or "C.E." instead in an Islamic Forum because by saying things like "A.D." you are indirectly insulting our beliefs, thank you for understanding.

Salam 3laikum
    Thank you for the clarification. I understand your point.

I hope you are not insulted by the use of A.D. when you use any kind of electronic device like an
    Apple/Android/BlackBerry cell phone or any kind of computer. Their timing is all based on the birth of
    Jesus Christ. A Muslim in North America can't even transact any business with American or Canadian
    banks without acknowledging this time reference - I hope they are not insulted.

Sorry to divert from our topic.

What specific time frame (using the terms B.C.E or C.E.) is sura 2:47 referring to? A previous poster
    mentioned it was the time of Moses, but she did not give a specific time range or the key events
    which identified this time of Moses.

Thanks,
    Jim
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

A previous poster
    mentioned it was the time of Moses, but she did not give a specific time range or the key events
    Nor are we obligated to give you a specific time. Moses came before Jesus, came before John, came before Mohammed and that's all there's to it. If you wish to niggle over trifles then I pity you indeed. Perhaps it is one of the many reasons folks are leaving christianity in drones. They make up unnecessary requirements then realize later how tight the noose is around their neck. When the world advances and they realize the world isn't 6000 yrs as they allege along with all the other lies they concoct of God, his sons and daughters and mothers!

I am reminded of these verses from the noble Quran:

18:22--------------------- So do not argue about them except with an obvious argument and do not inquire about them among [the speculators] from anyone."

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank you for the clarification. I understand your point.

I hope you are not insulted by the use of A.D. when you use any kind of electronic device like an
    Apple/Android/BlackBerry cell phone or any kind of computer. Their timing is all based on the birth of
    Jesus Christ. A Muslim in North America can't even transact any business with American or Canadian
    banks without acknowledging this time reference - I hope they are not insulted.

Sorry to divert from our topic.

What specific time frame (using the terms B.C.E or C.E.) is sura 2:47 referring to? A previous poster

Thanks,
    Jim
    As-salamu alaykum,

Hi Jim
    I'm sorry for coming off as saying that following the Christian calender is offensive, I never intended or meant to say that. I am not offended by the calender except only if someone uses the "A.D." or "B.C."terms or anything that goes against Islamic teachings. All I wanted to convey was using the terms "A.D." etc were offensive as Isa (PBUH) did not die according to us Muslims. So it would be preferable to use "C.E." or "B.C.E." instead, which still refers to the same calender and dates except it doesn't refer to the death of our Prophet. Thanks for understanding.

Salam 3laikum
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As-salamu alaykum,

Hi Jim
    I'm sorry for coming off as saying that following the Christian calender is offensive, I never intended or meant to say that. I am not offended by the calender except only if someone uses the "A.D." or "B.C."terms or anything that goes against Islamic teachings. All I wanted to convey was using the terms "A.D." etc were offensive as Isa (PBUH) did not die according to us Muslims. So it would be preferable to use "C.E." or "B.C.E." instead, which still refers to the same calender and dates except it doesn't refer to the death of our Prophet. Thanks for understanding.

Salam 3laikum
    Hello. No need to apologize. Thanks for explaining. I'll use C.E. or B.C.E in the future.

Thanks,
    Jim
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Ahmad H's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Sura 2:47 and 2:122 say, "O Children of Israel, remember My favor that I
    have bestowed upon you and that I preferred you over the worlds"
    (quran.com).

Another version has it worded a little differently. "O Children of Israel!
    Remember My favour wherewith I favoured you and how I preferred
    you to (all) creatures" (quranexplorer.com).

According to the Quran/Hadiths, why were the children of Israel (Jacob)
    preferred over the children of Ishmael (Isaac's brother), or even Esau (Jacob's
    brother)?

Thanks,
    Jim
    The answer is simple. The words, "I exalted you above all the peoples" does not refer to Israelites being exalted above everyone else for all times to come in the future. It only meant they were exalted above everyone else in their own respective time. The proof for this is in verse 3:33 "Allah did choose Adam and Noah and the family of Abraham and the family of 'Imran above all peoples." Thus, the meaning of the Israelites being preferred over everyone else only refers to their own age.

The family of Jacob was not given a line of Prophethood that would end in the Khatam an-Nabiyeen, where the Seal of Prophethood would be given and the final law would be established. Evidently, the Jews only had Prophets sent to their own nation, and not to others. While us Muslims, the line of Ishmael (as), have a line which ended in the highest pinnacle of Prophethood, which can never be reached by any other Prophet of Allah. Therefore, Allah had reserved this high status for the line of Ishmael (as).

Furthermore, the line of Jacob (as) was preferred over other people for their time, because Allah had ordained prophethood to be with them for their own nation. The Arabs who lived in the area the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) was raised never had a Prophet come to them before, so they were in need of a Prophet. This is why Ishmael (as) had a line which would have Prophethood come to them later on. In fact, many Jews moved to Arabia knowing a Prophet would be raised there in the future. The Qur'an mentions this often, but the Jews did not like the fact that this final Prophet was an Arab and not a Jew. Hence, they opposed him bitterly for that and they hid their prophecies and turned them into something else for people to wait for rather than accept the Seal of the Prophets (saw).

Therefore, the children of Jacob (as) were never preferred over the children of Ishmael (as). Allah preferred the latter over the former because the gift of Prophethood was taken away from the Jews and given over to the Arabs - the descendants of Ishmael (as). The Jews lost their Prophethood with Jesus (as). This is why no Prophet came in between Jesus (as) and the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw), because the Jews lost their prestige when they tried to crucify Jesus (as), a noble, innocent and pious Prophet of Allah who did not wrong to anybody.

If one does not look at the full historical situation and ignores what happened taking only one time period into consideration, then the question becomes confused. However, if you consider that the Jews had no more Prophets for the last 2000 years, while we Muslims had one 1400 years ago, then it puts things into perspective. Obviously, the line of Jacob (as) is not the most favored right now. however, the same religion continues, and all of those past Prophets, had they been alive at the time of the Holy Prophet (saw), would have given allegiance to him because they all took a covenant saying that they would follow the Prophet who came after them - especially the Seal of the Prophets (saw), for he is the pinnacle of the Prophets.

Also, the Holy Land in Jerusalem may have been given over to the Jews, but the Holy Land of the Ka'ba is given over to the Muslims. The Ka'ba was built by Adam (as) first, then later by Abraham (as) with his son. Thus, the custodians of the Ka'ba are given the Holy Land that was holy since the beginning of time. This is much more significant than Jerusalem. Just look at all the wealth flowing from the land of Arabia. And how worthy of the very land that the holy steps of the Seal of the Prophets (saw) touched, and was thus blessed with such wealth that it has made deserts turn into gardens.

All in all, the Israelite line was the most exalted people of their own time, not forever. Their message was not meant to be exalted over all times since Allah did not state that the Bible would be the law for all mankind, the Qur'an is. The Qur'an remains the law until the Day of Judgement, thus it will remain supreme forever, and that makes it's followers and custodians the most exalted peoples on earth because they hold and practice the most exalted law on earth. This law abrogated all past laws, so no previous faith can claim superiority to the faith of Islam, pristine, pure and unchanged. The Bible changed, but the Qur'an remains the same. How can the most exalted nation on earth possibly be the best of all peoples when their book has changed? Only the faith with an unchanged Book till the end of time can claim superiority, and that faith is Islam.

I hope this clarifies the matter for you. Should you have anymore concerns after the proofs I have set out for you, then feel free to refer to other verses of the Holy Qur'an and anyone else who has read the Qur'an can explain it to you. I may not have given explicit references here, but all of my information can from various verses of the Holy Qur'an. It is late for me now, but next time Inshallah I will try my best to quote the actual verses I am referring to in my explanations.
    | Likes جوري, Indian Bro liked this post
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Sura 2:47 - the preference of the Children of Israel