× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 35 visibility 6121

Watched Life Of Pi?

Hulk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Part-time Avenger
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Watched Life Of Pi?

Report bad ads?

I was wondering if anyone watched this movie and what was your takeaway from it?

To anyone who might be wondering it's basically a movie about a man telling his story to another man. Supposedly, this story will make this other man believe in God.

I am curious as to how others perceive this movie so if you did watch it please do share however little you can.
    Watched Life Of Pi?

RE0IROm 1 - Watched Life Of Pi?

2. Report bad ads?
    Qurratul Ayn's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Conquer the Shaytaan
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Watched Life Of Pi?

I saw it with my husband. He has read the book, he says it's about a spiritual journey and also said what you've written. I just think it's mumbo-jumbo. It's the same with the Alchemist, similar type of story, I never understand how people can be affected by these books and realise something profound in their life or of their life. Truly amazes me.

I thought it was a good film. Richard Parker is amazing, such a cool tiger

That's my little input
    Watched Life Of Pi?

فَبِأَيِّ ءَالَآءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ
    "Then which of the favours of Your Lord will ye deny?"
    Al-Qur'aan; Surah Ar-Rahman

brightness_1
    Part-time Avenger
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wa alaykumsalam wrwb

Thank you for sharing your input sis..!
    Watched Life Of Pi?

Iceee's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Qurratul Ayn View Post
    He has read the book
    That is because books are ALWAYS better than movies!! It's a well-known fact. Never expect someone else's vision from a book become even more grand than your own imagination, especially within the limitations of film-making and a mere couple of hours!!
    That said, the movie was alright but if you ask you husband, I'm sure he will say that the book was better...
    | Likes Innocent Soul, Scimitar liked this post

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Part-time Avenger
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I really don't like the "moral" of the movie lol
    Watched Life Of Pi?

Qurratul Ayn's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Conquer the Shaytaan
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Are you warning me with your bright, enlarged writing, Brother Iceee?! Lol

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee View Post
    That said, the movie was alright but if you ask you husband, I'm sure he will say that the book was better...
    Of course I know books are x1 000 000 better than movies, my Husband even recommended I read the book, but I had no time.

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee View Post
    Never expect someone else's vision from a book become even more grand than your own imagination, especially within the limitations of film-making and a mere couple of hours!!
    But of course, everyone has a different meaning and thoughts they take after reading a book, and films made from books portray one man's interpretation. I know

I don't need to ask, I know the book was better
    Watched Life Of Pi?

فَبِأَيِّ ءَالَآءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ
    "Then which of the favours of Your Lord will ye deny?"
    Al-Qur'aan; Surah Ar-Rahman

Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I cannot remember a single movie, if there ever was any, that I have taken a message or learnt anything profound from. Life of Pi was no different.
    | Likes Haya emaan, Musaafirah, 'Aleena liked this post

Indian Bro's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude View Post
    I cannot remember a single movie, if there ever was any, that I have taken a message or learnt anything profound from. Life of Pi was no different.
    As-salamu alaykum

I agree with you, brother. However I remember watching a movie called "Requiem for a dream", it was about the adverse effects of doing drugs. I know many people will just say "We already know drugs are bad for your body", but this movie went as far as to show what drugs can really do to a person mentally and physically. It's a great movie for today's youngsters to watch due to their high exposure to drugs these days especially in countries like India where drugs are easily available. It'll send chills down every teenagers spine and definitely make them think twice before choosing to take drugs.

Salam 3laikum
    Watched Life Of Pi?

Not a single leaf falls from the trees of the Earth without the permission of Allah سبحانه وتعالى

Flashfallingleaves 1 - Watched Life Of Pi?

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

I saw Life of Pi a few weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. I read the book when it was first published, and I can't say whether I prefer the book or the film; in this case they complement each other very well. It takes a good film to measure up to a book like this one does.

I read both as a parable about storytelling. When you first see the cover image of a boy on a boat with a tiger, you're likely to assume it will be a cuddly cute fantasy-type story, but in fact it's visceral and told with brutal realism. In the end, it seems that the author could convince you of anything, since the power of the storytelling makes this highly unlikely scenario compelling and believable.

The film tells the story with great dramatic and visual flair, maintaining high tension even when there is ostensibly not much happening. It also contains some of the most striking and artistically valid uses of 3D that I've seen.

format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee
    That is because books are ALWAYS better than movies!! It's a well-known fact.
    This is usually true, but there are a few examples that go the other way if you ask me. The most glaring example is The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The book is quite gripping, but it takes far too long to get going and would benefit from being cut significantly by a good editor. It also includes the annoying Tom Bombadil character wisely left out of the films by Peter Jackson.

The Godfather was originally written by Mario Puzo to a deadline, and he has since said he wishes he could go back and rewrite it with more time. Despite its bestseller status, the narrative and dialogue in the book could definitely be improved. The film by Francis Ford Coppola on the other hand is almost certainly the best gangster movie ever made. The only competition it faces is from its sequel.

Peace
    | Likes aamirsaab, 'Aleena liked this post

12. Report bad ads?
    Independent's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson View Post
    The film by Francis Ford Coppola on the other hand is almost certainly the best gangster movie ever made.
    I'd put another Coppola film as probably the most inspired adaption ever made - Apocalypse Now, which is an adaption of Heart Of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. The film is set in 20th century Vietnam, the book in 19th century Africa, yet Coppola has captured the essence of the story despite the huge leap. (In this case the book is brilliant as well as the film.)

I'd also say that Gone With The Wind is a superb adaption of a rather average book.

Urban Turban's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Why are movies being discussed on an Islamic forum?
    | Likes جوري, 'Abd al-Baari liked this post
    Watched Life Of Pi?

Imam ash-Shafi`i said:

"Whoever takes knowledge from books loses the regulations."
    (man akhadha al-`ilma min al-kutubi Dayya`a al-aHkaama). [Reported by Nawawi in the introduction to "al-Majmu"]

www.theijtema.com

Because Inconvenience is Sacrifice®

Alpha Dude's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Cold of heart
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Indian Bro View Post
    As-salamu alaykum

I agree with you, brother. However I remember watching a movie called "Requiem for a dream", it was about the adverse effects of doing drugs. I know many people will just say "We already know drugs are bad for your body", but this movie went as far as to show what drugs can really do to a person mentally and physically. It's a great movie for today's youngsters to watch due to their high exposure to drugs these days especially in countries like India where drugs are easily available. It'll send chills down every teenagers spine and definitely make them think twice before choosing to take drugs.

Salam 3laikum
    I think my previous post, I made without thinking through fully.

On second thoughts, I do believe I have in some ways been affected by movies. I can remember one about drug dealing too. However, I think I was trying to say I've never really walked away with anything long standing. Nothing life changing or mind altering, apart from a superficial experience.

Ali_008's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    - I Love You Allah -
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The only movie which has had any impact on my life so far, and has taught me an incredible lesson was The Dark Knight. The words were from Harvey Dent (the character) in the movie, and I quote:

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Those words are pure gold.
    | Likes Musaafirah, Muhaba liked this post
    Watched Life Of Pi?

If Allah helps you, none can overcome you; and if He forsakes you, who is there after Him that can help you? And in Allah (Alone) let believers put their trust.
    Surah Ale Imran : 160

It was narrated that Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:
    The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allaah be upon him) climbed up Uhud, accompanied by Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan, and the mountain shook with them. He struck it with his foot and said: “Stand firm, O Uhud, for there is no one on you but a Prophet or a Siddeeq or two martyrs.”
    Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3483)

Allah (Subhaanahu Wa Taala) does not inspire seeking forgiveness in a slave whom he wishes to punish.
    Ali (RadhiAllahu Anhu)

brightness_1
    Part-time Avenger
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thank for sharing your inputs guys but do try to refrain from going too far off topic.

I believe movies can be quite influential especially to certain people. Some movies might appear to have a good message behind it but the underlying message might be a negative one. We have to keep in mind that these movies were made by someone who might have a different worldview from ourselves.

Anyway, I didn't really like the movie as the message in my opinion was basically "Believe in God because it's more interesting." or something along those lines. Perhaps it kind of annoyed me as the storyteller was portrayed as this somewhat "wise" man who is going to give you something to think about and in the end that was all he offered.

I do understand that others may have perceived the movie differently which is why I asked, I appreciate anyone who has shared their comments and anyone else who wish to comment please feel free to do so.
    Watched Life Of Pi?

18. Report bad ads?
    Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm a huge movie/film guy and this one is on my list to watch. Haven't had a chance yet but I will probably soon. I absolutely love films, especially when good dialogue and excellent cinematography come together to present amazing stories. There's just so much that can be communicated in a single well done scene about love, emotion, self struggle, loss and gain. Christopher Nolan has an amazing way of doing this with his dark realism. Really interested to see how he influences Man of Steel - already looks good based on the trailer.
    Last edited by Ibn Abi Ahmed; 02-01-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Watched Life Of Pi?

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl

Innocent Soul's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban View Post
    Why are movies being discussed on an Islamic forum?
    Yeah! I thought that this thread is going to get closed soon.

I think the OP got to know others views. We can stop discussing the topic as I think we are going a bit off-topic.
    | Likes Urban Turban liked this post
    Watched Life Of Pi?

wwwislamicboardcom - Watched Life Of Pi?

'Abd Al-Maajid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No theaters here...

Muhaba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    فصبرٌ جميلٌ
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I didn't watch it. I rarely watch movies, like maybe 1.75 movies a year. i read books more but prefer fiction to nonfiction, although i do read some nonfiction here and there. help-your-self books are at the bottom of my list. the few that I read i found meaningless. maybe they weren't written by good writers. my favorite how-to books are on the craft of writing.

unknown12's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid View Post
    No theaters here...
    lol want a link to download/stream? ;p

24. Report bad ads?
    Periwinkle18's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    *reading mode*
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I rarely watch movies having watched this one.

This mite sound weird buh I just can't watch movies anymore wen I try to I stop n don't feel like watching anything :s n if I do watch something I feel bad afterwards
    | Likes 'Abd al-Baari, 'Aleena liked this post
    Watched Life Of Pi?

Allah made everyone different thats what makes them special,so no matter what ppl say just remember you're SPECIAL!!
    "You are with the one you love"
    Nem0
    080411014129621 zpsf15d01de 1 - Watched Life Of Pi?

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Watched Life Of Pi? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Watched Life Of Pi?