star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Christmas for Muslims?

Report bad ads?

Greetings, and peace to all from Eastern Canada.

I have a question that I have been wondering about for sometime....Do Muslims celebrate Christmas? Would you celebrate the birth of the Christ-child? Would it be a time to simply celebrate family and exchange gifts? Or would you forego it all together?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    greenhill's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Christmas for Muslims?

A short answer will be "No, we don't", hence it would be yes, we would forego it altogether.

However, there are people who would partake in the festivities as part of the community living but that is entirely their own choice.

Peace
    | Likes melindadenae liked this post
    Christmas for Muslims?

As long as my heart does beat, I shall live, not lie
    For when my heart does stop its beat, with truth, I die.
    chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greeting and peace to you too,Melinda.

"Congratulation to you who celebrate Christmas". This is what I say to my Christian relatives and friends in Christmas time.

Do I celebrate Christmas?. Of course not. Just like my Christian relatives and friends do not celebrate Eid. But they congratulate me and other Muslims in Eid time.

| Likes sister herb, Abuadil liked this post
    chat Quote

SofiaMonroe's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't celebrate it but I do but gifts where the profits go to charities (like Feed Project) and I give them out.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Snow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by melindadenae View Post

I have a question that I have been wondering about for sometime....Do Muslims celebrate Christmas? Would you celebrate the birth of the Christ-child? Would it be a time to simply celebrate family and exchange gifts? Or would you forego it all together?

Just a few points. If the new testament is to be taken as a good source, it suggests that Jesus was born at spring.
    This "holiday" has its roots in prehistoric times, as people in the northern hemisphere were celebrating the rising run. It is no coincidence that the date is on the winter solstice.

It was called (even in english) just until recently Yuletide. Jule/jól... some say that it has its origins with the word wheel. Jol/hjol...(in ancient norse) as in the wheel of the sun. Even one of the pagan gods had the name Jolnir and he was similar to "santa clause".

Even the old testament bans the trees.

Jeremiah 10

For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.

Not only was a tree a symbol of the universe in some pagan religions, they were also a symbol of something in bloom. As the type of "christmas" tree do not lose its needles. As most other trees lose their leaves.

I could go on and on but it is not a coincidence that the church chose that date as the birth of Jesus. They have done this with other festivals.
    Easter, the name comes from a pagan goddess called Ester, Esther... and she was a goddess of fertility. As in all the bunnies and eggs are around that time (lambs too, of course).
    | Likes greenhill liked this post
    chat Quote

sister herb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Peace with you, Melinda

No, I don´t celebrate Christian holidays like Christmas as well as I don´t celebrate Jews or Hindus holidays. Only islamic ones.
    Christmas for Muslims?

From Occupied Palestine:

We have suffered too much for too long. We will not accept apartheid masked as peace. We will settle for no less than our freedom.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    I'm on mobile
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Peace be Upon those who recieve Guidance!

1. Celeberating Birthdays are not for Muslims, such acts are Biddah innovations which lead to the fire of Jahannam/Hell

2. 25th December is not the Birthday of Jesus but the Pagan Sun God,

Both of the Above make Christmas/Easter and any other Pagan Celeberation Haraam/Prohibited for any Muslim.

in short Muslims have nothing to do with Christmas,

regards
    chat Quote

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Do Muslims celebrate Christmas? Would you celebrate the birth of the Christ-child?
    No. Christmas was alien to Christianity too. This is a really good fully referenced read on the history of christmas, that Muslims should read too:

http://www.islam21c.com/theology/173...-christianity/

As Muslims, we love and respect Jesus (peace be upon him) and believe in him as he was; one of the noblest and purest of humanity to ever walk the earth, and one of the greatest messengers of Allah, sent to the Children of Israel. We do not reject him (as Jews do), nor do we deify him (as Christians do). Neither he, nor any other messenger, ever claimed divinity, or to be God's son. We believe he was born miraculously of the noble virgin Mary (peace be on her), and that he is the messiah. He preached the same message as all the prophets before him and the one after him (Muhammad peace be upon him), that people shoud worship the One True God, without any associates in His Divinity, and should obey the prophet God sent. We do not however, believe that he died or was crucified. He'll return to earth near the end of time.
    Christmas for Muslims?

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

naba's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We muslims don't celebrate christmas because we believe Allah is one, he is eternal, he is neither born nor give birth, there is nothing like him.christians believe that by celebrating Christmas they say Jesus christ (pbuh) is begotten son of Allah (nozbillah), it is not mentioned even in the bible.Allah in ch 19 v 88-92 of Quran says they say that Allah had begotten son if earth would have emotions it could have burst out,if sky would have emotions it could have burst out.moreover we muslims have only 2 festivals in islam I.e 2 Eids.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Ummshareef's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This is an area that my kids used to struggle with. When they were smaller they saw and heard so much about Christmas and wanted to get involved, but alhumdulillah they eventually they came to understand that it is not part of our religion and that any celebrations or festivals other than the two Eids are not allowed.
    chat Quote

aflawedbeing's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I worry for my children too, Ummshareef. My daughter is two and already in love with Christmas lights and I can just see the jealousy of the other kids coming.
    We just have to be super strong and remind them, the other kids don't have a holiday as blessed, legitimate and beautiful as Eid.
    Christmas for Muslims?

chat Quote

Predator's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Only festivals that must be celebrated by Muslims are Id ul Fitr and Id ul Adha
    Christmas for Muslims?

When truth is hurled at falsehood , falsehood perishes. because falsehood by its nature is bound to perish [21:18- Holy quran]
    chat Quote

BlueOwl358's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Nope, not a nut. I take it as a normal day just like any other. Christmas is a non Islamic festival and Haram. Jesus wouldn't like Christmas, he would love spring, considering he was born in spring. Maybe Horus or Heracles would like it better, meh. Would you celebrate the birth of the Mithra-child by any chance?

"And when it is said to them, "Come to what Allah has revealed and to the Messenger," they say, "Sufficient for us is that upon which we found our fathers." Even though their fathers knew nothing, nor were they guided?" (5:104)

Someone should have told this verse to the Church "fathers" when they invented Christmas, and borrowed traditions from Norse "fathers", Iranian "fathers" Greek "fathers".
    Christmas is a lie! All lies must be ignored. Jesus was born in spring, Church "fathers" knew nothing.

chat Quote

Sojourn's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have some Muslim friends who celebrate Jesus' Mawlid but admittedly they're liberal Muslims, nice people though : )

Btw, I really wish correcting misconceptions about my faith was not against forum police because the amount of error I read in these threads is overwhelming. The serious seekers will find out the truth anyway, God willing.
    Last edited by Sojourn; 01-04-2015 at 03:21 PM.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    فصيح الياسين's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    I have some Muslim friends who celebrate Jesus' Mawlid but admittedly they're liberal Muslims, nice people though : )

Btw, I really wish correcting misconceptions about my faith was not against forum police because the amount of error I read in these threads is overwhelming. The serious seekers will find out the truth anyway, God willing.
    Dear our prophet and last prophet Mohammad never celebrated birthdays hope its easy and clear
    chat Quote

ardianto's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The only reason for Muslims to not celebrate Christmas is because Christmas is not Islamic celebration. What is, how is, and from where Christmas originated is not Muslims business.

format_quote Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
    I cannot imagine if Christian perform salah Eid with Muslims in Eid day.

Religious tolerance doesn't mean someone should celebrate other people religious festivals. But must respect the other who celebrate their religious festivals.

chat Quote

Insaanah's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    ★ Islam is THE way ★
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There are various points made here about 25th December not being the right date, we shouldn't celebrate birthdays, it's borrowed from a pagan festival etc etc. But if you leave even all that aside, and strip it back to what it is now, it boils down to celebration and merry-making at the belief that God begot a son (Na'oothubillah). This is all we need to know, to know that it is totally forbidden for Muslims. Most of us know one of the most important Surahs in the Qur'an, chapter 112, Surah al Ikhlaas (Sincerity), one translation of which follows:

Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,
    Allah, the Eternal, the Absolute, on whom all depend and He depends on no one.
    He neither begets nor is He begotten,
    And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him.

If we need to explain why we don't celebrate Christmas, we can say we simply don't believe that God begets, sons or daughters, and quote the above short Surah.
    Last edited by Insaanah; 01-04-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    Christmas for Muslims?

Stunningly beautiful adhaan from the Dome of the Rock in Masjid ul Aqsa
    Download (right click and choose "save target/link as").

This is a clear message for mankind in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is only One God, and that those of understanding may take heed (14:52)

Indeed Allah knows, and you know not (16: 74, part)
    chat Quote

Sojourn's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

And just as an aside, if anyone wants to have a serious discussion on the dating of Christmas, or the Trinity, or anything else, ask the mods to open the comparative religion section and permit *free* and *open* *civil* discussion again

Incidentally the dating of Christmas is based on a very early feast celebrated by Christians, the Feast of the Annunciation, when Jesus was miraculously conceived in Mary's womb by the power of the Holy Ghost. This feast is celebrated on March 25th, and what's nine months from that date? And there you'll see, nothing to do with mimicking pagans

Pax et bonum
    chat Quote

Abuadil's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No prophet of God ever commanded his disciples/followers to celebrate his birthday after him every year. (as the way it is being done, today)

And that goes for Jesus & Muhammad (Peace be upon them all) as well. If you really love Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) then do what he did (Islaah & Dawah)
    Islaah (correction or repair) for the muslims and Dawah (Invitation to Islam) for the Non-muslims. That is the best way of obedience to him and not just by lighting candles and lamps in the masjid and shouting slogans. May Allah (SWT) guide us all. Ameen.......

Salaam,
    Yusuf
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    zoroaster's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have never really understood this one as an outsider either. Im not a Christian myself but am in no way offended at people celibrating Jesus birthday. Find his teaching on charity, sincerity very moving at times. Tales like the Good Samaritan etc are good principles to live by.

For argument sake - If Noah never commanded any one to celebrate his Birthday - I don't think the Christian's would mind if Jews had a day celebrating Noah's birthday. Even if they got it wrong.

The celibration of Christmas by Christians isn't an acknowledgement of Christ's divinity but rather the his birthday.

I see many reasons why people don't go out of their way to celibrate Christmas being Muslim. But that is different from saying its a bad thing. Would there be an issue if Jews did the above for Noah? Whats the big deal, even if the date is wrong?

To respect a prophet right? Its a good thing for both Jews, Zoroastrians, Christians and Muslims yes?
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Christmas for Muslims? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Christmas for Muslims?