× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 3 of 3 visibility 1419

Learning Arabic

Silas's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Other
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Learning Arabic

Report bad ads?

My son and I have decided to learn Arabic. Both of us have an interest in Arab history, Islam, the history of the Middle-East, etc.

We are lucky enough that the colleges in our area teach it and even offer degree programs in the language (there are many Arabic speakers where I live).

Do the members here have recommendations as to what books, courses, videos, might be good for those starting out (we only speak English and German currently, so this will be challenging)?
    | Likes Scimitar liked this post
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Snow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Learning Arabic

I am at elementary level with my Arabic.
    Unfortunately, I don't have schools or anything around for me to advance in it.
    What has helped me the most are apps.
    chat Quote

*charisma*'s Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Learning Arabic

Hi Silas,

In the US universities, the books they use to teach arabic are these: Alif Baa & Al-Kitaab fii Ta'allum al-'Arabiyya. These books also have their own answer keys which you'll need to buy separately.

I also highly recommend this website: https://www.madinaharabic.com/arabic_courses.html because you can click on the words and letters and it will dictate them for you. It also does really well at explaining how letters connect, the different vowel sounds and their types, etc.

Arabic is going to be challenging for you only because there are no latin letters. It's a completely different writing system. Also in speaking you have to practice pronouncing a few letters that will be completely foreign to you and you will need to be able to differentiate between some letters when listening which sound very similar. Other than that, it's a fun and interesting language to learn. Youtube is also a really good source for learning beginner arabic.
    | Likes Silas liked this post
    Learning Arabic

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

5. Hide
Hey there! Learning Arabic Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Learning Arabic