Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How can this be?

Report bad ads?

Hadith - Bukhari 8:151, Narrated 'Aisha
    I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet , and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)

Yet the prophet was very strict about any facet of the law:
    Sahih Muslim, Book 17, Number 4188:

'A'isha, the wife of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), reported that the Quraish were concerned about the woman who had committed theft during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him), in the expedition of Victory (of Mecca). They said: Who would speak to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) about her? They (again) said: Who can dare do this but Usama b Zaid, the loved one of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) ? She was brought to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and Usama b. Zaid spoke about her to him (interceded on her behalf). The colour of the face of Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) changed, and he said: Do you intercede in one of the prescribed punishments of Allah? He (Usama) said: 'Messenger of Allah, seek forgiveness for me. When it was dusk. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) stood up and gave an address. He (first) glorified Allah as He deserves, and then said: Now to our topic. This (injustice) destroyed those before you that when any one of (high) rank committed theft among them, they spared him, and when any weak one among them committed theft, they inflicted the prescribed punishment upon him. By Him in Whose Hand is my life, even if Fatima daughter of Muhammad were to commit theft, I would have cut off her hand. He (the Holy Prophet) then commanded about that woman who had committed theft, and her hand was cut off. 'A'isha (further) said: Hers was a good respentance, and she later on married and used to come to me after that, and I conveyed her needs (and problems) to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him).

Even if Fatima where to commit theft, he would cut off her hand. Why then would he allow Aisha to make partners with Allah? Playing with a doll or having a picture is almost the same as associating partners with Allah, because you're indirectly implying the creator ofthe doll, or you by playing with the doll, gives it life, which only Allah can give.

That's not the issue, the issue is how can Muhhammed (pbuh) allow Aisha to play with the doll if it is forbidden?

Does this mean that children are not responsible for what they do and can go untold of the haraam they are commiting? Even if no sin will be recorded I don't understand why the prophet would allow it to be done in his sight, it makes no sense. I'm sure it would've been very easy to play with her, or find some healthier means of entertainment rather than not saying or allowing anything to happen....

2. Report bad ads?
    swanlake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: How can this be?

I dont know why this wasnt answered. I will try to later inshallh

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

firstly dont go thinkin too much, clearly what the prophet (saws) done was the best action to be taken.
    Yes dolls are forbidden but due to aisha's age (which was prob 6-9 which is extremely young, so young they wont understand) the prophet (saws) allowed it.

Bro i dont have much knowledge but i do kno that the prophet always said "be leniant wiv the young" and thats exactly what he did

How can this be?

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -

brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sargon View Post
    Playing with a doll or having a picture is almost the same as associating partners with Allah
    Brother, playing with a doll is not shirk. And secondly, it is not a crime of the state which is punishable with a hadd (prescribed) punishment. When someone commits a state crime, the punishment must be carried in the event of a conviction.

How can this be?

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
    "Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

Visit Ansâr Al-'Adl's personal page HERE.
    Excellent resources on Islam listed HERE.

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by sargon View Post
    Playing with a doll or having a picture is almost the same as associating partners with Allah, because you're indirectly implying the creator ofthe doll, or you by playing with the doll, gives it life, which only Allah can give.

Errrrrrrrrr NO - playing with a doll is not forbidden actually and what do you mean by playing with the doll gives it life?!

I mean common sense little kids play with dolls - I used to do that But it is in NO WAY Haraam - If it is brother then please give me a Hadith/Qur'anic reference.

Jazakallah

And Allah swt knows best.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Pr4sE View Post
    firstly dont go thinkin too much, clearly what the prophet (saws) done was the best action to be taken.
    Yes dolls are forbidden but due to aisha's age (which was prob 6-9 which is extremely young, so young they wont understand) the prophet (saws) allowed it.

Bro i dont have much knowledge but i do kno that the prophet always said "be leniant wiv the young" and thats exactly what he did

Yes, don't go thinking too much.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malsidabym View Post
    Yes, don't go thinking too much.
    LOL

You must try and understand the Ahadeeth, as well as the Quraan, for e.g. u can't just go and read the Quraan and know everything, u need to know the explanation of every songle ayah...and if it is not sahih( not sayin this 1 isn't) don't start playin around with it...cos it's bounded to be twisted.

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I read somewhere that the dolls Aisha (ra) played with were made with rags filled with stuffing of some sort and did not in anyway resemble a human being e.g did not have hair or facial features. They certainly didn't have dolls like barbie in those days. Plus it's only haraam to create a complete likeness of living things, especially for decorative purposes.

abdul Majid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    "He who obeys the Messenger, obeys Allah." [Qur’aan 4:80]
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl View Post

Brother, playing with a doll is not shirk. And secondly, it is not a crime of the state which is punishable with a hadd (prescribed) punishment. When someone commits a state crime, the punishment must be carried in the event of a conviction.

i think this brother answered the question well....

wasalam
    How can this be?

"1. Qull huwa Allahu ahad Allahu alssamad Lam yalid walam yoolad Walam yakun lahu kufuwan ahad"
    Say: He is Allah the One and Only Allah, the Eternal Absolute He begetteth not nor is He begotten And there is none like unto Him.
    (112)

wwwislamicboardcom - How can this be?

12. Report bad ads?
    sargon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh.. I heard dolls were shirk and so are pictures, it was from a website. Thanks for the answers.

laylatul qadar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How can dolls be shirk? I've always played with them. Nobody told me they were shirk?

can u plz provide evidence to back u up?
    thanx

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by laylatul qadar View Post
    How can dolls be shirk? I've always played with them. Nobody told me they were shirk?

thanx
    hmm i read the hadith by sahih al-bukhari where:

Volume 8, Book 73, Number 151:
    Narrated 'Aisha:

I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet, and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13)

this seems to show that its allowed..... mayb im interpreting is wrong
    How can this be?

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -

Muslim Knight's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by laylatul qadar View Post

thanx
    Shirk means associating partners with Allah. How can playing with a doll be associating partners with Allah? The hadith clearly states sayyidatina A'ishah r.a. was;

1. A little girl at that time.
    2. Playing with the doll.
    3. Not associating the doll as partner to Allah.
    4. Not even worshipping the doll.
    5. It's a doll, not an idol!

Playing is not same as worshipping. Clearly it is not shirk!
    How can this be?

--------------------------------------------------

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely;
    A Legend

vpb's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

doll cannot be considered shirk, sometimes kids are shy to express themselves with somebody esle, so they express their imagination to the doll, they keep it as a friend

18. Report bad ads?
    laylatul qadar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Playing is not same as worshipping. Clearly it is not shirk!
    thanx for answering

Daffodil's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Asalamulaikum.

laymen shudnt interpret hadith because often then not they are in reference to something.

The reason why ppl say its not permissible to play with dolls is because they have features, it is prohibited to create an image because on the day of judgment Allah swt will ask those who created images/pictures etc to giv life to it.

Also some scholars say that, that paticular hadith was from before the actual time that prohibition of images came about. there fore the prophet saw didnt say anything.

if u research this harder u will see that scholars say her doll was made from rags not like they are today, also the scholars say if a doll/teddy etc is incomplete ie, it doesnt have distinctive features, ie, doesnt have eyes, nose etc then its permissible as its incomplete.

u have to be careful when coming to conclusions about certain hadith because we as laymen dnt have sufficient knowledge. we wud need to turn to knowledgeable scholars who have studied countless hadith etc.

if u go on to islam q and a or other fatwah sites n typed in the word picture/toys/dolls lots of things will come up about the issue. best to research it n see what the scholars have to say, its not difficult to find info on the internet.

Alphaseed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

IN the middle East we consider puberty the age at which a person becomes responssible, never the less a child should be gently shown the right path.

Alphaseed Ha- Kafir

seek.learn's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

u have to be careful when coming to conclusions about certain hadith because we as laymen dnt have sufficient knowledge. we wud need to turn to knowledgeable scholars who have studied countless hadith etc.
    Salaam o Alaikum wa rahmatullah,

JazakAllah for providing the info that you did and this most important point we need to keep in mind, InshaAllah.

May Allah guide us to the straight path and show us the truth.

AllahuAlim!

Alaikum Salaam wa rahmatullah

Daffodil's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Alphaseed View Post
    IN the middle East we consider puberty the age at which a person becomes responssible, never the less a child should be gently shown the right path.

Alphaseed Ha- Kafir
    this isnt only in the middle east, this is what is from islam, that when a child hits puberty he/she then becomes responsible for its actions.

24. Report bad ads?
    united's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It is haram to make images/statues of living things.
    These "dolls" did not resemble a living thing in any way (they were just rags), therefore these "dolls" were not haram.

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! How can this be? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. How can this be?