star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Smile Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion

Report bad ads?

From my personael perspective, i think culture is over shadowing islam in peoples lifes in todays society.This is because nowadays most people make decisions in their life, based on culture values and principles and because of this people suffer.
    For example forced marriges is haram in islam, but how many muslim parents force thier daughters into marrige and ignore the teachings of the Quarn and hadith.Therfore a person should live their life according to the teachings of islam and people who do this will live a more peace full life.

Annie
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    HeiGou's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion

format_quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    For example forced marriges is haram in islam, but how many muslim parents force thier daughters into marrige and ignore the teachings of the Quarn and hadith.Therfore a person should live their life according to the teachings of islam and people who do this will live a more peace full life.
    I am interested why you think forced marriage are haram in Islam? As I understand it, which is, I admit, not saying much, a girl must be asked for her consent if she is not a virgin. But that does not mean that doing it is haram. Surely it can just be bad without being forbidden?
    Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connait pas. - Blaise Pascal
    chat Quote

bint_muhammed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

hello annie you managed to come on! i know its soooo sad, they get mixed up with culture and religion!
    heigou actually islam doesnt permit forced marriages even when the women isnt a virgin! this is like annie is saying is cultural, it common amongst pakistanis where if they catch agirl up to no good, they'll take her back home and marry her off! however islam doent teach this. in our culture if we were up to no good we would get murderd, so i think some pakistanis have it better off lol. (joke)
    chat Quote

Pk_#2's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

AsalamuAlaykum,

Yeah i guess sometimes peopke take culture seriously, when in fact they shouldn't so much, cause then they follow culture over religion and it becomes a habit, well actually becomes the norm..

A'isha (Allah be pleased with her) reported: "I asked Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) about a virgin whose marriage is solemnized by her guardian, whether it was necessary or not to consult her. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: 'Yes, she must be consulted.' A'isha reported: "I told him that she feels shy," whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: 'Her silence implies her consent.'" (Sahih Muslim, Book 8, Hadith 3305)

WalaykumSalaam.

"Whoever lives amongst you will see much differing, so adhere to my Sunnah" Muhammad
    (صلّى الله عليه و سلم)

Dhikhrul-lil-Aalamiin
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Jewel of LI
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by HeiGou View Post
    I am interested why you think forced marriage are haram in Islam? As I understand it, which is, I admit, not saying much, a girl must be asked for her consent if she is not a virgin. But that does not mean that doing it is haram.
    No, forced marriages are haraam.
    Al-Khansaa’ bint Khidaam complained to the Prophet that her father wanted her to marry someone she didn’t want, saying “I do not wish to accept what my father has arranged.” The Prophet said, “Then this marriage is INVALID, go and marry whomever you wish.” Al-Khansaa’ said, “I had actually accepted what my father has arranged, but I wanted women to know that fathers have no right in their daughter’s matters” (i.e. they have no right to force a marriage on them). (Fath Al-Barî Ibn Hajr, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:
    "Surely I was sent to perfect the qualities of righteous character" [Musnad Ahmad, Muwatta Mâlik]

Visit Ansâr Al-'Adl's personal page HERE.
    Excellent resources on Islam listed HERE.
    chat Quote

syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i think culture is wonderful...(the islamic one of course)

for example...here we have to take off our shoes before going into the house.
    chat Quote

Wahid's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam
    That’s really truth, culture especially stories from parent and families that are taken as truth can bring a lot of shirk

i know first hand.

Quran[42:40-43] The recompense for an injury is an injury equal thereto (in degree): but if a person forgives and makes reconciliation, his reward is due from Allah: for (Allah) loves not those who do wrong.
    chat Quote

Muslim Knight's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl View Post
    No, forced marriages are haraam.
    Al-Khansaa’ bint Khidaam complained to the Prophet that her father wanted her to marry someone she didn’t want, saying “I do not wish to accept what my father has arranged.” The Prophet said, “Then this marriage is INVALID, go and marry whomever you wish.” Al-Khansaa’ said, “I had actually accepted what my father has arranged, but I wanted women to know that fathers have no right in their daughter’s matters” (i.e. they have no right to force a marriage on them). (Fath Al-Barî Ibn Hajr, Sunan Ibn Mâjah)
    Bro Ansar, does this mean that when a person is forced into marriage, that marriage is null and void? And that the married couple will be living in state of zina? Can you please clarify on this further? Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely;
    A Legend

chat Quote

lolwatever's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Edit

commenthere:

ليس بعلم ما حواه القمطر، ماالعلم إلا ما وعاه الصدر
    animationPop 1 - Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion
    .::.....sabr Ayyoub.....::.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post

From my personael perspective, i think culture is over shadowing islam in peoples lifes in todays society.This is because nowadays most people make decisions in their life, based on culture values and principles and because of this people suffer.

Annie
    yeh culture can be a stinker at times... the Quran talks about this "We have foudn our forefathers on a path, and we are on their path in obedience..."

commenthere:

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

omg checkout verse 104 surat maida, it talks exactlyyyyy about this lol amazing
    salam

commenthere:

chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Culture really can have more influence on a person then religion. Although the opposite should be what we strive for. Once a person establishes a strong set of reliegious beliefs the influence of culture will become controlable, but it can not be escaped or ignored. It is only through a conciencious effort can a person allow religion to influence their life more then society and culture will.

Culture equates to environment. We might live in a steaming jungle or above the artic circle. the weather will have a strong bearing on our clothing choices. We can not escape that. However, religion will play a role into how the necessary clothing is designed.

So it is with the culture of society. Each society has a set of mores and values, those will determine what limits are socialy acceptable. That is a simple explanation of culture. That is what a person will be exposed to every minute they are out in public or interact with members of society in any manner. Unless a person is to become an absolute recluse and live the life of a hermit, they will be exposed to the culture. Their own sense of values will determine how much the culture will influence them.

Herman 1 - Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion

chat Quote

searchingsoul's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think culture is far more dominant in a persons life than their religion. I've noticed that different cultures take the same religion and concoct different meanings. That's why it's difficult to define a christian, or define a muslim. They are all so different! Keeping this in mind I think it's best to respect religious differences.

Fear makes strangers of people who would be friends.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^ i dont understand dude..

Maybe it's hard to define a 2006 christian, but it's straight forward to define a Muslim really... someone who accepts there is no diety worthy of worhsip but Allah adn Muhammad is his final messenger.. and that entails following whatever Allah has ordered and leaving whatever we where commanded to abstain from...

commenthere:

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Sis786's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I am a Pakistani Muslim (well my parents are pakistanis) and i agree that Culture is more of a driving force in todays society then Religion.

Culture has created the boundries that our religion Islam has broken down...i.e in my culture its frown upon to marry someone outside the cutlure then in the culture we have the seperate spilts i.e Pathaan, Punjabi etc etc..

To gain peace and to gain the oneness this Ummah requires we need to leave our culture and concentrate on Islam alone..

Most of the culture that Pakistanis have and follow are something that the Skihs and Hindus follow, and this was due to the fact that time ago three religious groups lived togther.

A perfect example is the marriage ceremony for Pakistani muslims which is full of traditions that the Sikhs and Hindus do..i.e Mehndi, Mahnia, Doli ..etc etc
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^ Omg u couldn't hav said it better, man may Allah curse the notion of culture it's soooooooo sickening and annoying and irritating.

nothing wrong with CUSTOMS, but i hate CULTURE.

even the prophet said that will be one thing that will remain from jahiliyyah with his ummah.. disgusting

salams

commenthere:

chat Quote

nennar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam alaikum!

:sister: you are so right! its culture , more than islam that force arranged marriages.... its not in islam....... so heigou! again you speak off something you dont know anything about!

yes normaly the girl/woman has the right to say no...... but more and more the parties involved has no say in it
    chat Quote

HeiGou's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by nennar View Post
    :sister: you are so right! its culture , more than islam that force arranged marriages.... its not in islam....... so heigou! again you speak off something you dont know anything about!
    Really? And again? Culture may make forced marriages possible, but it must follow that Islam allows it or they would not happen. Christianity has always strongly opposed forced, or even arranged, marriages and they make adulthood and full and free consent a pre-condition for marriage. Doesn't stop them all, but if you look at the Christian world you can see it stops a lot. Islamic law does not require adulthood or full and free consent. A young girl may be married without her consent as long as she keeps quiet. Even if that marriage is later annulled, was it invalid before? Did her "husband" commit a crime or a sin? Is he to be stoned to death for adultery? Are the children, if any, illegitimate? That looks like a perfectly valid marriage to me - even if Islam condemns forced marriages.

yes normaly the girl/woman has the right to say no...... but more and more the parties involved has no say in it
    But does Islamic law allow a girl to exercise her right to say no? If a Father can kill a daughter without consequence can she be said to have any real right to say no? Can a Father kill his daughter without consequences in Muslim countries?

Le coeur a ses raisons, que la raison ne connait pas. - Blaise Pascal
    chat Quote

nennar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

salaam alaikum!

off cause ! normaly the girl have the right to say no or yes! ... and al hamdoulillah! for that... but in many small soceitys its not like that!... so its good if its not like this for the christians!..... but sometimes you just write something , for writing and dont even think before you do it...... thats something i think you need to work on brother heigou
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wowwww wow wow heigou!
    lets hold it there for a sec

Culture is what causes some parents to object to their kid marrying someone else, you seem to claim that 'the cultureu wouldnt dictate that if it wasnt that Islam had some hand behind that'... if that's the case.. why does Islam give full right to the kid to get soemone else to sort out theri case if their parents rely on cultural arguments?

now if we apply that to arranged marriages.. the hadith clearly says that the amrriage is void, the marriage is void, the marriage is void (3 times) if the girl's permission isn't saught.. int he case of the virgin, her quietness is a sign of her acceptance.. becasue taht was teh custom.

However if she keeps quiet even when teh whole process is taking place, then that's foolish of her if she doesn't speak up or atleast doesn't show some unhapiness on her face! Nothing to do with Islam imposing the marriage on her!

As for your last part.. if a father kills his daughter because seh wants to marry someone then it's the father who gets sinned, he might not be punished in this world becaue of the political situation today, but he will be punished in the hereafter!

The girl has full right to get married, and so does the boy. Checkout the thread abotu whether the girl needing a wali for marriage and there's i think enough fatwa backed by evidence to show that she doesn't need her parents permission if she's got Islamically valid reasons for wanting to marry a certain individual... same goes for the boy.

I'm offended you attributed that to Islam!! ffended
    Last edited by lolwatever; 07-20-2006 at 11:14 AM.

commenthere:

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Culture more dominant in a persons life than thier religion