imrano's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Singular and Plural in Qur'an

Report bad ads?

Can somebody explain why Allah uses Sometimes the singular and sometimes plural?
    -""
    - If We had so willed, We could have given every soul its guidance, but now My Word is realised - 'I shall fill Hell with jinn and men together. (chapter32 verse13)
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Daffodil's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Singular and Plural in Qur'an

We shudnt read too much into these things because we dnt know why Allah ses this n that n does certain things because only he alone knows everything.

He hasnt ever told us why he uses we so any reasons we come up with are pointless n baseless.

However I think he refers to himself as we sometimes due to his so many attributes.
    chat Quote

azim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by imrano View Post
    Can somebody explain why Allah uses Sometimes the singular and sometimes plural?
    -""
    - If We had so willed, We could have given every soul its guidance, but now My Word is realised - 'I shall fill Hell with jinn and men together. (chapter32 verse13)
    Asalaamu alaykum.

'We' used in Arabic in the same was as the Royal 'We' in English. To exalt and honour the speaker.

Also, those who are familiar with the Quran note that different tenses (past/present/future) and pronouns (I, Us, We, You (sing.), You (pl.) are used in different circumstances (talking to Muslims, to the Prophet, about the kuffar etc...) although I don't know too much about this myself so I can't explain it any further.
    chat Quote

Daffodil's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

yea even the queen refers to her self as we.
    chat Quote

6. Hide
Hey there! Singular and Plural in Qur'an Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Singular and Plural in Qur'an