× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 48 visibility 4540

Reid heckled during Muslim speech

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Home Secretary John Reid has been heckled during a speech about targeting potential Muslim extremists.
    He was interrupted by activist Abu Izzadeen, who said he was "furious" about "state terrorism by British police".

In his speech, Mr Reid asked Muslim parents to keep a close eye on their children and act if they suspected they were being radicalised by extremists.

It was his first speech to a Muslim audience since becoming home secretary.

The protester, also known as Omar Brooks, denies being a member of the banned al-Ghurabaa group.

He accused the minister of being an "enemy" of Islam before he was led from the building by police and stewards.

Respect MP George Galloway, in an open letter to Mr Reid written on Wednesday afternoon, asked how such a "well-known extremist... was allowed within punching distance of the British home secretary".

A Home Office spokesman said that, while Mr Izzadeen was not invited to the meeting, it was "in the nature of an open community meeting... that some people who were not invited ended up attending.

"There was no question of the home secretary's safety being compromised at any time."

A second heckler, who also interrupted Mr Reid's speech, was ejected a few minutes after Mr Izzadeen.

During his time in Leytonstone, east London, which also involved a visit to a mosque, Mr Reid said community and religious leaders could play a key role in the fight against terrorism.

The home secretary said "our fight is not with Muslims generally".

Instead, he said, there was a "struggle against extremism".

And, warning that terrorist fanatics sought to influence youngsters, he said: "There is no nice way of saying this.

"These fanatics are looking to groom and brainwash children, including your children, for suicide bombings, grooming them to kill themselves in order to murder others."

Following the speech, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said it was "extraordinarily difficult" to clamp down on Islamic extremism without offending large groups of Muslims.

Speaking on BBC Radio Five Live's Simon Mayo programme, he said: "I have seen the incident, I think it isn't at all pleasant.

"But at the moment no law has been broken by that protester, and I think one of the most difficult jobs the police have is this line between free speech and abuse."

Mr Reid later described the hecklers as "unrepresentative" of the Muslim community.

Speaking on Channel 4 News, he added: "If they are trying to shout me down, imagine what they are doing to the vast majority of Muslims in their community."

But Massoud Shadjareh, who chairs the Islamic Human Rights Commission, said Mr Reid's demands were "unrealistic and not demanded from any other community".

He said he government, whose policies he said played a "substantial role" in radicalising people, "needs to come out of this state of denial, stop pointing fingers at others and instead recognise the root causes and its own responsibility".

Shadow attorney general Dominic Grieve said the home secretary should realise Muslim extremism was not a problem just for the Muslim community, but "for all of us".

The speech came weeks after some Muslim leaders expressed concerns about the UK's foreign policy and called for it to be changed, in a letter which Mr Reid then called a "dreadful misjudgement".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5362052.stm

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Reid heckled during Muslim speech

What did Reid say or ask of the Muslim community that is so "controversial"? Asking parents to watch their children closely and make sure they aren't being radicalized. The same as when police ask parents to make sure their children don't develop a drug problem or whatever else is affecting the community. Perhaps instead of getting angry whenever an official asks the Muslim community to take a little responsibility for the radicalism that obviously exists, they should actually hear what he is saying instead of the automatic "the world hates Muslims" mindset.
    chat Quote

Dawud_uk's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i cant believe the elders were dumb enough to invite this enemy of Allah into the masjid and give him a platform to say these things.

my own local masjid had a slightly different approach... the local head of Labour was invited to the masjid and not allowed to talk until the end. just had to sit there and endure us all telling him what we thought of his party and government.

at the end he was allowed a short response but we allowed everyone to come and tell him what for and had the local head of HT there also to give his opinions as well as other muslim representatives.

assalaamu alaykum,
    Abu Abdullah
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In his speech, Mr Reid said Muslims should fight extremism.

In their response, Muslims called him "evil".

I don't get it!
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Ghazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Is it me or does anyone feel strange when a kafir who has rejacted allah and his messenger is dictating to muslims whats acceptable in their religion I for one find it starnge and laughable he talks of extremism yet he's a disbeliever what right has he to judge anyone's iman, and also he's urging muslim's to spy on their own children he's bascily promoting fitnah in his speech I for one would of just got up and left it's quit clear extrimism in the eyes of the goverment is anything related to Qitaal.
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Everyone has a role to play. Us Muslims should keep an eye on our children anyway, regardless of whether or not somebody tells us to - every parent, Muslim, non-Muslim, black, white, purple... every parent should keep an eye on their child's development, in order to protect the child from crime, drugs etc. I don't find Reid's words offensive, I just think they're restating the obvious. Muslims do have a role to play, and the majority of us do play it, by condemning terrorism in lecture after sermon after talk, and by simply being law-abiding citizens of the UK or US.

The Government also has a role to play, particularly in its approach to foreign policy. It cannot be denied that there are terrorists who are from the Muslim faith. It also cannot be denied that said terrorists tend to justify their crimes by referencing perceived injustices in the foreign policies of the British and American governments.

A dialogue is needed. My gut feeling is that the kind of angry young men who are likely to become terrorists think that such a course of action is the only way for to make their voices heard. I'm not justifying terrorism. I am justifiying dialogue with all sides in order to avoid further casualties and in order to promote understanding.
    chat Quote

Mr. Baldy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

What did Reid say or ask of the Muslim community that is so "controversial"? Asking parents to watch their children closely and make sure they aren't being radicalized. The same as when police ask parents to make sure their children don't develop a drug problem or whatever else is affecting the community. Perhaps instead of getting angry whenever an official asks the Muslim community to take a little responsibility for the radicalism that obviously exists, they should actually hear what he is saying instead of the automatic "the world hates Muslims" mindset.

I don't get it!
    what 'mr. reid' is saying is that muslim parents should spy pn there kids to make sure that they dont become practicing muslims. the muslim community in turn urges civil servants and backbench MPs to look for the tell-tale signs of 'radicalisation' amongst their Cabinet colleagues including support for illegal occupation, branding Islam an evil ideology and advocating increasingly draconian anti-terror laws.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Baldy View Post
    what 'mr. reid' is saying is that muslim parents should spy pn there kids to make sure that they dont become practicing muslims. the muslim community in turn urges civil servants and backbench MPs to look for the tell-tale signs of 'radicalisation' amongst their Cabinet colleagues including support for illegal occupation, branding Islam an evil ideology and advocating increasingly draconian anti-terror laws.
    Oh please, that is ridicluous. Nobody cares whether the children are "practicing" Muslims, what people do care about are practicing Muslims becoming radicalized Muslims. I still believe there is a huge difference. Hopefully you do too.
    chat Quote

I R Paki's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I agree firmly with Keltoi. I agree with Mr Reid, I believe he respects Islam and these extremists are just brainwashing simple muslims like you or I and saying he is the enemy. This is completly absurd.
    Dawud_uk, how is he an enemy? People of his party in my eyes are well elected, Id vote for Labour. I know the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are not going to run this country very well, nor care about the concerns of muslims either. You should be proud of being a British citizen, we are part of the most powerful country in the world, with the most powerful currency, there is the best healthcare in the world, the best education, the UK is a welfare state and we have the best oppurtunities. Extremists and extremism are a big problem, I dont want these people representing Islam, they give us a very bad image. I want proper, practicing muslims representing Islam, because I am proud to be a muslim and want to show everyone why.
    Last edited by I R Paki; 09-21-2006 at 05:14 PM.

23t0e3n 1 - Reid heckled during Muslim speech
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Rou's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    LOL some people make me laugh....

1.this was sooooooooo set up i mean met police and reids security know this guy and that he is a part of a extremist group so why again was he allowed so close they aint blind?

2. majority of people are saying like yourself that muslims this and that what the heck do you want from us!?? when this plum jumped up we shouted him down the elders and everyone there yet its still THE MUSLIMS??

Whatever...

3. john reid is asking what of muslims??? does the man even know?? what u want us to watch our kids for what again?? what if they dislike the treatment of there brothers and sisters in the middle east?? if they grow a beard?? if they attend protests against the suffering of there people???

HAHAHHA what a joke! then arrest all of us and get it over and done with!?

reid is talking rubbish!

if he wants to stop terrorisem then britan should change its forign policy simple...

majority of muslims are living in peace in britan even after being treated like rubbish searched there families searched and treated like crimnials for taking public transport and being religous!

cut the crap if muslims were to truy turn on britan there would be alot of trouble! its called media over kill now be quite!

i see people with beards being hassled tell me one bearded bomber in uk or usa??

whatever... its called being sucked in and the media is doing a good job of it to you and many like you.

wake up!

wwwislamicboardcom - Reid heckled during Muslim speech
    Rise oh lions!
    Dawnoftheummah.com

:blind: F@te Is a blind path..you will see when you get there...:cresentbl
    chat Quote

Rou's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post

I don't get it!
    lol pls state where you heard this again?? and read above!

again media overkkill and the rest is just magination!?? no wander muslims are getting ticked off onbe punk who is a convert born of jamican roots chats crap obviously without any knowledge of islam and it becomes the voice of every muslim???

whatever how easy it is to beleive such crap hey??

wwwislamicboardcom - Reid heckled during Muslim speech
    Rise oh lions!
    Dawnoftheummah.com

:blind: F@te Is a blind path..you will see when you get there...:cresentbl
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    Everyone has a role to play. Us Muslims should keep an eye on our children anyway, regardless of whether or not somebody tells us to - every parent, Muslim, non-Muslim, black, white, purple... every parent should keep an eye on their child's development, in order to protect the child from crime, drugs etc. I don't find Reid's words offensive, I just think they're restating the obvious. Muslims do have a role to play, and the majority of us do play it, by condemning terrorism in lecture after sermon after talk, and by simply being law-abiding citizens of the UK or US.

The Government also has a role to play, particularly in its approach to foreign policy. It cannot be denied that there are terrorists who are from the Muslim faith. It also cannot be denied that said terrorists tend to justify their crimes by referencing perceived injustices in the foreign policies of the British and American governments.

A dialogue is needed. My gut feeling is that the kind of angry young men who are likely to become terrorists think that such a course of action is the only way for to make their voices heard. I'm not justifying terrorism. I am justifiying dialogue with all sides in order to avoid further casualties and in order to promote understanding.

I agree but the intentions of the goverment is simple they don't want muslims to practise their deen the way they should.
    chat Quote

Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazi View Post

I agree but the intentions of the goverment is simple they don't want muslims to practise their deen the way they should.
    How so?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by I R Paki View Post
    I agree firmly with Keltoi. I agree with Mr Reid, I believe he respects Islam and these extremists are just brainwashing simple muslims like you or I and saying he is the enemy. This is completly absurd.
    Dawud_uk, how is he an enemy? People of his party in my eyes are well elected, Id vote for Labour. I know the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are not going to run this country very well, nor care about the concerns of muslims either. You should be proud of being a British citizen, we are part of the most powerful country in the world, with the most powerful currency, there is the best healthcare in the world, the best education, the UK is a welfare state and we have the best oppurtunities. Extremists and extremism are a big problem, I dont want these people representing Islam, they give us a very bad image. I want proper, practicing muslims representing Islam, because I am proud to be a muslim and want to show everyone why.

Arn't these the same people fighting our brothers, simple they're the enemy this masonic goverment is hell-bent on preventing muslims from practasing their deen, Just to prove my point go and knock on Mr Ried's door and say "I'm going to iraq to help my brothers" then you'll see how much they respect islam and you.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin View Post
    How so?

Here's the version of a good muslim in the eyes of the goverment

1.Prays
    2.Fasts
    3 Hajj
    4 Zakat

Your probably thinking I left out the "Shahada" and your right, they don't want muslims to believe in allah cause that would mean true muslims would follow islam to the full not this so-called "moderate" veiw of islam the goverment come out with they don't want muslims to practise islam cause if every muslim was upon the sunnah then they'd have a real threat both from dawa and Jihad and the goverment don't want to loose on both fronts.
    Last edited by Ghazi; 09-21-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Just shows you can't deal with the hysterical.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazi
    Arn't these the same people fighting our brothers......

Terrorists bombed the World Trade centre in 1993

Terrorists bombed the US embassies in Africa in 1998

Terrorists destroyed the World Tade center in 2001

The war is on terrorists.
    chat Quote

Skillganon's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Skillganon
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Western bombed and destroyed Middle Eastern Countries.

Western supports and supplies with the deadliest weapon to the only terrorist state in the Middle-East that has been subjugating the most brutal and oppressive methods on the palestine.

The difference is it is not called Terrorism.

Advertisment:
    MY PERSONAL PAGE

wwwislamicboardcom - Reid heckled during Muslim speech atomicth4 1 - Reid heckled during Muslim speech atomicth3 1 - Reid heckled during Muslim speech
    Atomic Bomb - Mushroom Cloud Cloud Blast from.
    chat Quote

Sis786's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Reid needs to know that when you point the finger 3 three fingers are pointing at you!

Perfect Example...
    bushwt9 - Reid heckled during Muslim speech
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Mr. Baldy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    Oh please, that is ridicluous. Nobody cares whether the children are "practicing" Muslims, what people do care about are practicing Muslims becoming radicalized Muslims. I still believe there is a huge difference. Hopefully you do too.
    hmm... and thats why parents are now getting suspicious of there own children when they pray, grow a beard or wear a jubba howevre radicallised they arent or are, and thats why youth are increasingly bieng pressured to integrate... thanks for clearing that up, its just so obvious now i look at it...

you obviously dont know the reality, so dont pretend you do
    Last edited by Mr. Baldy; 09-22-2006 at 10:38 AM.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Reid heckled during Muslim speech Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Reid heckled during Muslim speech