× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 61 visibility 7036

Muslim Scholar Seeks Debate With the Pope

Hajar's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

By Shahid Ali Khan
    The Saudi Gazette

RIYADH
    EMINENT scholar of comparative religion Dr. Zakir Naik has invited Pope Benedict XVI for an open inter-faith dialogue.

The Pope’s recent statement, which included a quote from a 14th century Byzantine emperor, sparked outrage in the Muslim world.
    In his latest efforts to calm down the Muslim anger the Pope invited diplomats from 20 Islamic countries at his summer residence in south of Rome.

This extraordinary gathering was seen as the latest effort by Benedict XVI to quell the furor stirred two weeks ago by controversial remarks he made about Islam. He is attempting to channel the emotion into what he calls an authentic and respectful dialogue.

Dr. Naik sees the Pope’s statement on Islam as pre-planned. “He (the Pope) knew very well what he was speaking at University of Regensburg in Germany on September 12,” he said.

“The Pope’s apology to the Muslims was at all not an apology rather it was putting salt on the wounds,” said Dr. Naik, adding that the Pope should have explicitly apologized and retracted his statement.

Benedict XVI seems to be toeing the same line of neo-con as that of President George Bush, he said.

Dr. Naik said if the Pope wants to initiate an authentic dialogue then he is more than willing to participate in such an inter-faith debate.

“I am more than willing to participate in the inter-faith dialogue with Pope Benedict XVI. I am ready on any topic he (the Pope) wishes as long as it focuses on Qur’an and the Bible,” Dr. Naik said.

He said he can go to Rome or Vatican to meet the Pope.

“I can go to Rome and to Vatican on my own expense if an Italian visa is arranged for me,” he told The Saudi Gazette Wednesday after delivering his lecture on “20 most common questions about misconceptions of Islam,” organized by Sri Lankan Embassy in Riyadh, Wednesday and attended by a number of ambassadors, diplomatic staff and members of the Sri Lankan community.

Dr. Naik during the past three years has delivered over 600 lectures in the US and Canada.

“I am absolutely ready for an open and public debate with the pope under live international TV coverage,” he said.

Let the 1.3 billion Muslims and 2 billion Christians around the world listen to the debate based on equal slot of time allotted to both sides, he said. “It is not only a debate but also a question and answer session allowing the people to ask queries,” he said.

He said he is not in favor of closed-door meeting with the Pope, as was suggested by his predecessor Pope John Paul II, when South African-based Islamic scholar Ahmed Deedat invited him for open dialogue, he said.

“Pope John Paul told Shaikh Deedat to come to his cabin for a debate,” he said and added why does the inter-faith dialogue be held behind closed doors?

Dr. Naik said the best way to counter the onslaught on Islam is that the Muslims should have their own media.

“Unfortunately, most of the international media is controlled by the Western (lobby). Unless you (Muslims) have your own media they (Westernerns) can very conveniently convert black into white, day into night, a hero into a villain and a villain into a hero,” he said.

Dr. Naik, who has launched his own religious satellite channel called Peace TV, said Muslims do have their own media but what he meant by international media is similar to the Time and Newsweek and TV channels such as the BBC and CNN, when Muslims can project their views and convey the message in right perspective. “I have a future plan to launch a news channel,” he said.

He said there are at least 100 Muslims that he knew, who can take such an initiative and launch at least 10 satellite channels. People should not wait for Muslims organizations such as IIRA or OIC to take steps in this direction, he said.

“Any individual businessman can take the initiative if Muslim bodies such as OIC or IIRA are not coming forward in this direction,” he said.

Dr. Naik has also endorsed former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Muhamamd’s views that the Muslims should stop to operate US dollar-denominated bank accounts. “I have been preaching (that) Muslims should stop dealing in dollar,” he said.

He also called on the Muslim world to launch an Islamic currency to counter dealing in dollar. Muslim countries should not peg their currencies to the dollar. “By that time the individuals and businessmen should stop dealing in dollar,” he said.

He said he has been mobilizing the people wherever he goes asking them not to keep dollar accounts or even the currency. The moment you exchange dollars you simply convert that amount with any currency such as riyal, dirham, dinar or be it yen or euro “but not to keep in dollar-denomination account,” he said.

Source:http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...560&Itemid=116

“The best type of jihaad is the jihaad of the one who strives against his own self (jihaad al-nafs) for the sake of Allaah.”
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Muslim Scholar Seeks Debate With the Pope

Allahu Akbar. If the Pope accepts he will be humiliated and if he rejects he will be humiliated. Allah has spoken the Truth:

3: 112. Indignity is put over them wherever they may be, except when under a covenant (of protection) from Allah, and from men; they have drawn on themselves the Wrath of Allah, and destruction is put over them...

25: 9. See how they coin similitudes for you (O Muhammad), so they have gone astray, and they cannot find a (Right) Path.

Blessed be He Who, if He will, will assign you (O Muhammad) better than (all) that, - Gardens under which rivers flow (Paradise) and will assign you palaces (i.e. in Paradise).

May Allah cause him to accept this and by way of this debate may Allah guide many to Islam.
    Last edited by Ibn Abi Ahmed; 09-29-2006 at 09:11 PM.

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[Moderators Comment: Remain On Topic. Start a new Topic If You Have Something Off Topic To Say]
    Last edited by wilberhum; 09-29-2006 at 10:36 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks for share Sis.
    TAKBIR! Allah-Huakbar!

Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters
    Bs53AicCAAACVpFsmall - Muslim Scholar Seeks Debate With the Pope
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hajar
    The Pope’s recent statement, sparked outrage in the Muslim world.

The Muslim world never debated the subject the Pope spoke of and therefore a debate with a cleric would be of no use.
    chat Quote

ACC's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    The Muslim world never debated the subject the Pope spoke of and therefore a debate with a cleric would be of no use.
    I agree, although I would love for the Pope to accept since I think he would handle this person rather easily. Of course, I am a little biased .
    chat Quote

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ähmed View Post

Allahu Akbar. If the Pope accepts he will be humiliated and if he rejects he will be humiliated.
    Why? I'm quite sure the Pope can hold his own in "inter-faith dialogue" (which isn't quite the same thing as "debate") if it were held.

As to rejecting, believe it or not the Pope is a very busy man. There is no reason he should enter into any sort of dialogue with anybody (short of the odd head of state) who says they want it, "muslim scholar" or not.
    chat Quote

Zulkiflim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam,

Pls ,,he is an old man,he should be be placed on such stress.

I would say just give Zakir Naik a column in the Catholic weekly...LOL..

So that the Pope as well as many otehr catholics can hear from a historical standpoint..
    chat Quote

ACC's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim View Post
    Salaam,

Pls ,,he is an old man,he should be be placed on such stress.

I would say just give Zakir Naik a column in the Catholic weekly...LOL..

So that the Pope as well as many otehr catholics can hear from a historical standpoint..
    Ah, I can tell you are also biased. Since when do we consider old people unitelligent?.....only when it is convenient for us.

Give that man a column on Catholic weekly, no problem. How about giving the Pope some time in Saudi Arabia kay: ?
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Pope Benedict is a very intelligent man, and I would actually be very interested to see this discussion. However, my gut tells me that there would be more "controversy" and more nuns would get shot in the back, so what is the point really? Sorry if that seemed harsh, but I'm getting fairly tired of this whole affair.
    chat Quote

ACC's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    Pope Benedict is a very intelligent man, and I would actually be very interested to see this discussion. However, my gut tells me that there would be more "controversy" and more nuns would get shot in the back, so what is the point really? Sorry if that seemed harsh, but I'm getting fairly tired of this whole affair.
    Very true. It is difficult to have an open and full dialogie if you will be restricted as to what you can say.
    chat Quote

S_87's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Maryams Mommy
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

hehe i wanna see this happen inshaAllah

Our Lord! Verily, we have heard the call of one calling to Faith: 'Believe in your Lord,' and we have believed.
    Our Lord! Forgive us our sins and expiate from us our evil deeds, and make us die (in the state of righteousness) along with Al-Abrar
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Dr. Naik during the past three years has delivered over 600 lectures in the US and Canada.

wow mashaallah thats a lot!!

oh man i hope the pope accepts, that would be wicked!!

wwwislamicboardcom - Muslim Scholar Seeks Debate With the Pope
    chat Quote

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98 View Post
    Funny enough- when the muslims want to talk about it, the west doesnt want to listen.

format_quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    I agree, although I would love for the Pope to accept since I think he would handle this person rather easily. Of course, I am a little biased .
    Yes, the pope has shown how very knowledgeable of Islam he is, hasnt he?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Muhammad's Avatar Administrator
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

However, my gut tells me that there would be more "controversy" and more nuns would get shot in the back, so what is the point really?
    If I remember correctly, Muslim outrage is caused by attacks on Islam, not respectful discussions. And isn't the whole point of having it live to avoid any "restrictions"?

chat Quote

ACC's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Funny enough- when the muslims want to talk about it, the west doesnt want to listen.

Yes, the pope has shown how very knowledgeable of Islam he is, hasnt he?
    As much as iman's that trash Christianity, which seems very often.

As for the first quote, it seems that there is a disconnect on both sides. Each side percieves the other as not listening.
    chat Quote

*Hana*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

As much as iman's that trash Christianity, which seems very often.
    Peace ACC:

Do you have a quote from an Iman that has openly bashed Christianity? I would be interested in reading about it.

Thanks and Peace,
    Hana

"Whoever is deprived of gentleness is deprived of all good" (Sahîh Muslim, Sunan Abî Dawûd)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched...but are felt in the heart.
    -Helen Keller
    chat Quote

The Ruler's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i hope that they air it somewhere itd be great ta watch

chat Quote

ACC's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hana_Aku View Post
    Peace ACC:

Do you have a quote from an Iman that has openly bashed Christianity? I would be interested in reading about it.

Thanks and Peace,
    Hana
    Well, the most immediate one would be the al qaida guy yesterday. Just do a search.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    *Hana*'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well, the most immediate one would be the al qaida guy yesterday. Just do a search.
    Al Qaeda?? A spokesperson from Al Qaeda??? You're using a group you deem as terrorists to say they now speak on behalf of all Imams? How about a quote from an Imam not affiliated with Al Qaeda.

I could do a search, but you made the claim so I'm asking where you got that information.

Thanks and peace,
    Hana

"Whoever is deprived of gentleness is deprived of all good" (Sahîh Muslim, Sunan Abî Dawûd)

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen, nor touched...but are felt in the heart.
    -Helen Keller
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Muslim Scholar Seeks Debate With the Pope Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Muslim Scholar Seeks Debate With the Pope