× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 61 visibility 41082

Which cheese is Halal?

Malaikah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Swimming with thermus aquaticus in Yellowstone National Park
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Which cheese is Halal?

Report bad ads?

How do we know which cheese is halal?

If it doesnt say rennet but says enzyme is that like the same thing anyway?
    Which cheese is Halal?

wwwislamicboardcom - Which cheese is Halal?
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    lolwatever's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: cheeeeese

rn't u made out of milk so how can it b haram
    Which cheese is Halal?

commenthere:

ليس بعلم ما حواه القمطر، ماالعلم إلا ما وعاه الصدر
    animationPop 1 - Which cheese is Halal?
    .::.....sabr Ayyoub.....::.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

lol yeh but rennet is an enzyme used to make cheese and it is usually taken from the stomach of young goats/cows. So if the animal isnt slaughtered properly then it isnt halal.

I just came across a fatwa that has confused me even more:

Cheeses made with enzymes taken from animals that are not slaughtered Islamically

Question:

Is the cheese halaal if it is made from enzymes taken from haraam meat (not slaughtered according to shariah) as the enzymes still live beyond the animal's life time i.e the enzyme does not die when the animal is killed.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Before answering this question, it is important to know what rennet is.

Al-Fayroozabaadi said in al-Qaamoos al-Muheet (p. 313), under the definition of na fa ha: al-infahah and al-minfahah and al-binfahah all refer to something yellow that is extracted from the stomachs of suckling goat kids.

Infahah (rennet) was also defined in al-Mawsoo'ah al-Fiqhiyyah as follows: "It is a yellowish-white substance ([in a skin vessel] - this phrase appears not to fit here) that is extracted from the stomachs of suckling kids or lambs. When a little of this substance is added to milk, it curdles and becomes cheese. In some Arabic-speaking regions, people call this rennet mujabbinah (cheese-maker), and the stomach (from which the rennet is taken) is called kursh if the animal grazes on grass.

The Islamic ruling concerning rennet is that if it is taken from an animal that has been slaughtered according to sharee'ah, then it is pure (taahir) and can be eaten. This is according to the Hanafis, Maalikis, Shaafa'is and Hanbalis.

As regards eating rennet taken from an animal that dies naturally, or that was not slaughtered in accordance with sharee'ah, according to the apparent meaning of the opinions reported from the majority of scholars among the Maalikis, Shaafa'is and Hanbalis have said, it is impure (naajis) and should not be eaten. They base this ruling on the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): "Forbidden to you for food) are: al-maytatah (dead animals - cattle-beast not slaughtered)…" [al-Maa;idah 5:3] - the rennet becomes impure by virtue of the animal's death, and it is not possible to remove that impurity from it. [next phrase is unclear]

Imaam al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo' (9/68): "The ummah is agreed that it is permissible to eat cheese so long as it is not mixed with anything impure, such as adding rennet from a source that is not halaal because it was not slaughtered according to sharee'ah. This ijmaa' (scholarly consensus) is the evidence for its permissibility."

The second view, which is that of Abu Haneefah and is one of two opinions narrated from Imaam Ahmad, is that rennet from dead animals or animals that were not slaughtered according to sharee'ah is still taahir (pure). This is the opinion which Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah thought most correct in al-Fataawaa (21/102), where he said: "It is more likely that their (the Zoroastrians') cheese is halaal, and that the rennet and milk of dead animals is taahir (pure)." Elsewhere in al-Fataawaa (35/154) he said: "With regard to the cheese made with their (some of the kaafir Baatini groups') rennet, there are two well-known scholarly opinions, as is the case with the rennet from animals slaughtered by the Zoroastrians and Christians, and rennet from dead animals, of whom it is said that they do not slaughter their animals properly. The schools of Abu Haneefah and Ahmad, according to the other of his two opinions, say that this cheese is halaal, because the rennet taken from dead animals is taahir (pure), according to this view, and because the (enzymes in) rennet do not die when the animal dies (so, the concept "impure containers don't cause the contents of the container to become impure by contact" ) applies. The schools of Maalik, al-Shaafa'i and Ahmad, according to the other of his two opinions, state that this cheese is naajis (impure), because the rennet is impure according to this view, as they see the milk and rennet of dead animals as impure. In cases where meat is classified as impure because it is not slaughtered properly, the meat is regarded as being the same as dead meat. Both opinions are based on reports narrated from the Sahaabah. The first group states that the Sahaabah used to eat the cheese of the Zoroastrians, while the second group state that the Sahaabah used to eat what they thought was the cheese of the Christians. With regard to this issue, the follower (ordinary Muslim) must follow an 'aalim who advises him to follow either of these two opinions.

Islam Q&A
    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?re...eng&txt=cheese

Last edited by Malaikah; 12-09-2006 at 09:26 AM.
    Which cheese is Halal?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

No replies? Someone must know something!! Do they use articifial enzymes these days by any chance?
    Which cheese is Halal?

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Muhaammad Mahdi's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

This day was going quite nice and simple, and then i had to run into this thread, i would like an explenation of that fatwa
    Which cheese is Halal?

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^LOL youre telling me... my LIFE was going nice and simple until I felt I needed to start this thread. (Ok exaggeration, but I have never been a huge fan of cheese but now that I am keeping away from it until I find out whether it is ok or not, i have never felt more like eating cheese in my life :X)

I wish the person who wrote the article would have just given his opinion on the matter or said so and so opinion is stonger... would have made life so much easier.
    Last edited by Malaikah; 12-12-2006 at 12:29 AM.
    Which cheese is Halal?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

but u gotta keep in mind that the problem is ours rather than the fatwa's... coz if we lived in an Islamic country this would never be an issue... its our fault for letting things be the way they are today...

Ok exaggeration, but I have never been a hug fan of cheese but now that I am keeping away from it until I find out whether it is ok or not, i have never felt more like eating cheese in my life :X)
    liar ffended:

Which cheese is Halal?

commenthere:

chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever View Post

rn't u made out of milk so how can it b haram
    Lol. It can be haram..that's why certain cheeses are labelled as suitable for vegetarians.

No replies? Someone must know something!! Do they use articifial enzymes these days by any chance?
    Vegetarian cheeses can be made using non animal rennet. Now a days most vege cheeses are made of rennet produced by fermentation of the fungus Mucor miehei. Bacteria Bacillus subtilis or Bacillus prodigiosum can also be used for rennet.
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Rabiyal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

well according to our Imam, cheese is okay to eat, since enzymes get destroyed in the heating process and they evaporate (not sure about spell). I am not doubting him he's a revert and has very strong Islamic believes, Allhumdulilah. But I still wasn't sure about it. In the begining I thought rennet was bad too according to my Aunts who have been living in Canada practically half their lives. So I followed that, Until our Imam pointed out now days not many cheese companies use rennet, they use enzymes, and milk. And I was surprised, cuz he was right. And according to him Enzymes evaporting theory so the cheese would be okay to eat.

Even after all this time I still eat Tufu cheese, made with only vegetable ingrediants. no animal of any kind. And cheeses suggested by my Imam is Krafts. So I don't know which type you guys eat. or if my Imam's theory is right or not?!?!?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis View Post
    Lol. It can be haram..that's why certain cheeses are labelled as suitable for vegetarians.

Vegetarian cheeses can be made using non animal rennet. Now a days most vege cheeses are made of rennet produced by fermentation of the fungus Mucor miehei. Bacteria Bacillus subtilis or Bacillus prodigiosum can also be used for rennet.

EXACTLY MY POINT^^^^^
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sis is kraft halal?!?! Like non-animal?? cos we have kraft cheese

format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever View Post
    but u gotta keep in mind that the problem is ours rather than the fatwa's... coz if we lived in an Islamic country this would never be an issue... its our fault for letting things be the way they are today...
    I know. Its my fault I never took over the cheese industry when I had the chance.
    Last edited by Malaikah; 12-12-2006 at 07:35 AM.
    Which cheese is Halal?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah View Post

Well according to our Imam it is okay, since it only has enzymes and rest in Milk ingrediants. But please make sure you read the label before eating.

I know. It my fault I never took over the cheese industry when I had the chance.
    lol, let me know when you get a second chance we could be partners
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

haha

so sis enzyemes are not derived from animals? cos the kraft thing says enzymes not rennet
    Which cheese is Halal?

chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

as I stated above according to our Imam's, enzymes are evaporated in the heating process. I told you My Imam's theory didn't make much sense, that's why I stick to cheese made with only Milk products and are Vegetable base.

so please follow your Imam, cuz I am not believing much in this theory ^^
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I know. It my fault I never took over the cheese industry when I had the chance.

not too late, u dont hav 2worry about ingredients, u can sell 100 gram packets of urself
    Which cheese is Halal?

commenthere:

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^^^lol watever brother ji, I dont think this came out right. It would have sounded a little different if it came from a sister, but coming from a brother, doesn't sound so "watever"
    chat Quote

Snowflake's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Assalamu alaykum
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

[QUOTE]

if it hasnt got a V sign then don't eat it. It's most likely to be haram. I usually ring the companies to ask if in doubt.

Btw, I may as well mention it here... Walls said they can't guarantee any of their products are suitable for vegeterians. Reason: Sometime the ingredients are from an animal source and sometimes not -depending on availability. That is why walls don't label there products as V even if they are. The next batch might not be.

I know. Its my fault I never took over the cheese industry when I had the chance.
    lol, do it now.. and stamp the cheeses with a big HALAL sign!
    chat Quote

...'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ yeah we only get cheese with the V sign on it It's best to be on the safe side
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh no, I emailed the kraft people about this and the reply:

Thank you for contacting the Kraft Foods website with your query.

All Kraft processed cheese product (Slices, Singles, Cheddar, Cheestiks,
    Cheese Wedges, Cheesy Pops & Fridge Sticks) along with our Parmesan Cheese
    products contain animal rennet &/or enzymes, however, the exception is our
    Philadelphia Cream Cheese products (block, tub, dips) which contain
    microbial rennet (non-animal) and are suitable for vegetarians to consume.

Maybe I can find some cheese that says vegetarian on it...
    Which cheese is Halal?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Which cheese is Halal? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Which cheese is Halal?