× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 2 of 2 visibility 3785

may your hands cleave to dust

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

what is this expression about:

"may your hands cleave to dust"

it can be found in the following hadith:

SAHIH MUSLIM Book 008, Number 3458:
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen....html#008.3458

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: may your hands cleave to dust

WWW.ISLAMTODAY.COM - English Fatwa Department
    Fatwa Number: 38153

Question:

Assalamu Alaikum, In this hadith in Sahih Muslim, I do not understand the last portion of it: "May your hands cleave to dust."

This is the complete Hadith:

Muslim :: Book 8 : Hadith 3458
    Jabir b. 'Abdullah (Allah be pleased with them) reported: I married a woman during the lifetime of Allah's Messenger (may peace be. upon him). I met the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him), whereupon he said: Jabir, have you married? I said: Yes. He said: A virgin or one previously marrried? I said: With due previously married, whereupon he said: Why did you not marry a virgin with whom you could sport? I said: Allah's Messenger, I have sisters; I was afraid that she might intervene between me and them, whereupon he said: Well and good, if it is so. A woman is married for four reasons, for her religion, her property, her status, her beauty, so you should choose one with religion. May your hands cleave to dust.

What is meant by "May your hands cleave to dust."? Jazakallah Khair for answering. Walaikum Assalam.

Answer:

Dear questioner:

Al-Salām `Alaykum wa Rahmah Allah wa Barakātuh.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “A woman is married for four things: her wealth, her lineage, her beauty and her religion. So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) your hands will be smote with dust.” [Sahīh al-Bukhārī (5090) and Sahīh Muslim (1466)]

Wealth, lineage, and beauty are mentioned as common reasons for marriage with a woman. This is simply a confirmation of the desires that men have, not a recommendation.

Islam requests its followers to have higher outlook and regard what is most useful to them, which is to give highest priority to religion.

That is why the Prophet (peace be upon him) said at the end of the hadīth: “So you should marry the religious woman (otherwise) your hands will be smote with dust.”

The phrase means that if a man marries a woman who is not religious, he will lose out on account of it.

And Allah knows best.

Fatwā Department Research Committee of IslamToday chaired by Sheikh `Abd al-Wahhāb al-Turayrī

Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

"It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

4. Hide
Hey there! may your hands cleave to dust Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. may your hands cleave to dust