× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 185 visibility 17915

Questions about HInduism answered by a Hindu

Sarada's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Smile Questions about HInduism answered by a Hindu

Report bad ads?

As Salaam Aleikum and Namaste,

If any one has any questions, I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. If I do not know the answer, I will ask my Guru and/or research it.

The Rig Veda says:" Seers call in many ways that which is One"

All the Best,

Sarada:sunny:

2. Report bad ads?
    north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Questions about HInduism answered by a Hindu

What do Hindu thinks about Muslim's God - Allah?

I've asked this question to a Malaysian Hindu before, he said that Allah, Jesus, Jehovah etc. are all Gods too like any Hindu Gods and Goddesses.... is it true?

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!

lyesh's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In the Hindhu's beliefs, who created the Universe and all that exists?

lYeSh

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian View Post

I've asked this question to a Malaysian Hindu before, he said that Allah, Jesus, Jehovah etc. are all Gods too like any Hindu Gods and Goddesses.... is it true?
    Not exactly. For Hindus there is only One God. This God is Infinite, Eternal; has no beginning, middle or end; is beyond name and form, beyond gender, the Supreme Absolute, the Ultimate Reality, Brahman, Ishwar. Hindus believe that because God is so incomprehensible, God has manifested in many different attributes and forms so that we humans can better understand. Therefore we have entities that we worship like Lord Siva, Lord Krishna, Durga Mata, etc. They are part of God, or God manifesting in a limited way.

From my understanding, "Allah" means God in Arabic. To paraphrase one of our ancient scriptures, the Rig Veda: The learned call the One Reality in many ways. Therefore, Allah is the Supreme Absolute, the Ultimate Reality, Brahman or Ishwar.

So from a Hindu point of view, a Hindu can pray, calling Allah, because to us it is not important what name you use. Allah is not a form of God, Allah is God.

There is a song that Gandhi-ji used to sing that starts off like this:

"Ishwar, Allah, Tero Naam, sabko sanmati de Bhagwan", which means Your name is Ishwar, Allah, we beg you Lord, that you bless us all.

All the Best,

Sarada

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    it's all about LOVE!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Sarada View Post
    From my understanding, "Allah" means God in Arabic. To paraphrase one of our ancient scriptures, the Rig Veda: The learned call the One Reality in many ways. Therefore, Allah is the Supreme Absolute, the Ultimate Reality, Brahman or Ishwar.

So from a Hindu point of view, a Hindu can pray, calling Allah, because to us it is not important what name you use. Allah is not a form of God, Allah is God.

There is a song that Gandhi-ji used to sing that starts off like this:

"Ishwar, Allah, Tero Naam, sabko sanmati de Bhagwan", which means Your name is Ishwar, Allah, we beg you Lord, that you bless us all.

All the Best,

Sarada
    Sounds very similiar to pre-islamic times in Makkah. The people used to worship Idols, they Knew Allah(SWT) was the most supreme but they used to associate other Gods to him and use them as a means of getting closer to him. The people in Mekkah had no problem accepting Allah(SWT) but many had a problem rejecting those they falsely associate with him.

you might want to check this site out:

Similiarities between Islam and Hinduism

peace

Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters
    Bs53AicCAAACVpFsmall - Questions about HInduism answered by a Hindu

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by lyesh View Post
    In the Hindhu's beliefs, who created the Universe and all that exists?
    Hindusim is a religion that caters to different levels of understanding. There are many stories that are suited to different levels.

But ultimately it comes down to what Lord Krishna said in Ch 2. vs 8 of the Bhagavad Gita:

"na tv evaham jatu nasam
    na tvam neme janadhipah
    na caiva na bhavisyamah
    sarve vayam atah param

Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.
    "

So creation is Eternal, without beginning, middle or end. Creation just is.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Namaste, O Slave of Allah

Sounds very similiar to pre-islamic times in Makkah. The people used to worship Idols, they Knew Allah(SWT) was the most supreme but they used to associate other Gods to him and use them as a means of getting closer to him. The people in Mekkah had no problem accepting Allah(SWT) but many had a problem rejecting those they falsely associate with him.

you might want to check this site out:

Similiarities between Islam and Hinduism
    I am famliar with Dr. Zakir Naik's work. He is a very knowledgeable and I respect him greatly.

I must explain, though, that Hindus do not worship idols. Many Hindus use idols and pictures to focus our minds on God, many do not. Both are acceptable practice in Hinduism.

I am not familiar with the pre-Islamic Gods and Goddesses that were worshipped in Makkah. There is a nuance of a difference between what you describe and Hindu worship. When Hindus pray to Lord Shiva, or Lord Krishna, they are praying to an aspect or attribute of the Supreme Being, but they are not praying to the picture or statue.

Let me use a crude example: imagine for a moment that Bhagwan (God) is perfect cut diamond. It is impossible to see all of the facets at once. Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva, Ram-ji, Durga Mata, etc. are all facets of that same Diamond.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Namaste, Slave of Allah,

I like the quotation at the end of your post.

'O Muhammad (PBUH)! Indeed (the position of) your companions in my sight is like that of the stars in the sky, some brighter than others, though all possess light. Whomsoever selects any among their differing opinion, he has attained guidance in my sight.'
    All the Best,

Sarada

silkworm's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hello Sarada, Hope you are doing fine, I am a Moslem but I have my own Bhagadgita, Bible and Torah. While I was going through Bhagawadgita, I cam across some verses which clearly says that "God is One", can you please check on the following verses:
    1) Chapter 7, Vrse 20
    2) Chapter 10, Vrse 3

Thanks and have a good one

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Namaste, Silkworm,

Thank-you for your post. I agree with you. As I have said in my answer to the first question, yes, God is One.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Namste, Silkworm,

Here is a more lengthy answer to your question.

Bhagavad Gita:

Ch 7. vs 20:

Those whose minds are distorted by material desires surrender unto demigods and follow the particular rules and regulations of worship according to their own natures.

HInduism admits that many of us have minds that continue to be deluded and distorted by material desires. These people "surrender unto ...."etc.
    NOT in this context NOR any other should it be construed that Hindus consider Allah to be a demigod.

Ch 10 vs 3:

He who knows Me as the unborn, as the beginningless, as the Supreme Lord of all the worlds--he, undeluded among men, is freed from all sins.

The goal of Hinduism is to become free of the delusion of this world, to achieve the knowledge of God as the Supreme Lord of all worlds.

Knowledge in this case refers to more than just book knowledge.Hindu scriptures recognize two types of knowledge: the lower knowledge and the higher knowledge.

The lower knowledge is about rites and rituals and can be gained by scholarly study of the scriptures.

Higher knowedge is gained through direct personal experience God. As in "I know Jane well". NOT: " I have learned about Jane".

Grace Seeker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hi Sarada, glad you decided to create this thread.

Hindusim is a religion that caters to different levels of understanding. There are many stories that are suited to different levels.

But ultimately it comes down to what Lord Krishna said in Ch 2. vs 8 of the Bhagavad Gita:

"na tv evaham jatu nasam
    na tvam neme janadhipah
    na caiva na bhavisyamah
    sarve vayam atah param

Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.
    "

So creation is Eternal, without beginning, middle or end. Creation just is.

How do you define the word "creation"? I understand it to mean something that is created, thus is has a beginning. Something that has no beginning cannot be created. As you said, it just is. So it seems an oxymoron to me to say that "Creation is Eternal."

Muslim Woman's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    Super Moderator
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam/peace;

format_quote Originally Posted by north_malaysian View Post
    bro , i think it's better not to say Muslim's God--Allah. It may create confusion.

God is only one---Allah is the Arabic word for God . Muslims don't have any separate god. Arab Christians also use the word Allah . I read in an article that in Arabic Bible , Jesus (p ) is son of Allah.

to the 1st poster : can u give me a link where i can find the stories of hindu dieties ?
    Last edited by Muslim Woman; 08-09-2007 at 01:31 AM.

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God .....holy Quran, chapter Women , 4: 172

recitation:http://quran.jalisi.com

Muslim Woman's Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    Super Moderator
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam/peace;

....So creation is Eternal, without beginning, middle or end. Creation just is.
    I read that Lord Krishna died & was born again & again he died. It is said that he will come to the earth in every 100 yrs & will die also or something like that .

can u explain this more ?

Christ will never be proud to reject to be a slave to God .....holy Quran, chapter Women , 4: 172

recitation:http://quran.jalisi.com

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How do you define the word "creation"? I understand it to mean something that is created, thus is has a beginning. Something that has no beginning cannot be created. As you said, it just is. So it seems an oxymoron to me to say that "Creation is Eternal."
    Namaste Grace Seeker,

I agree with you 100% the statement that creation is eternal is an oxymoron. I was responding to a question about who created the Universe and all that exists. Thanks for catching me in my inaccuracy, and giving me an opportunity to explain further.

What I should have said was that the Universe and everything that exists are eternal. I was thinking of the word creation in the way Christians use it, to mean all of the material world. (Being a former Christian, I still have vestiges of the Christian vernacular that pop up from time to time).

Hindus see God (Ishwar) as everything. The Universe is God, the tree is God, the stones are God, the insects, the animals, you, me, everything is God. So, if God is eternal, then the physical world in one sense is also eternal. In one sense only, because matter can be transformed into energy and vice versa. The potential for the existence of the physical world is eternal. But it is itself always changing, always transforming.

However, now we are getting into metaphysics a little, because we Hindus also believe that the material world, (because things change, caterpillars hatch form eggs, then become butterflies, plants and animals decay and die, rocks erode, etc. )is an illusion that we call Maya. We are spiritual beings inside a physical body, and therefore we act in a physical world. But the Ultimate Reality is God, eternal, infinite, transcendent, without beginning or end yet, seemingly paradoxically, Ishwar is also immanent because everything is in God.

Grace Seeker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

However, now we are getting into metaphysics a little, because we Hindus also believe that the material world, (because things change, caterpillars hatch form eggs, then become butterflies, plants and animals decay and die, rocks erode, etc. )is an illusion that we call Maya. We are spiritual beings inside a physical body, and therefore we act in a physical world. But the Ultimate Reality is God, eternal, infinite, transcendent, without beginning or end yet, seemingly paradoxically, Ishwar is also immanent because everything is in God.

So, God is not material, but the material world (or at least the various elements of the material world) is god. Did I understand you correctly?

How about energy -- light, heat, kinetic energy -- are each of these god the same way that a tree or a stone is?

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam, Muslim Woman,

read that Lord Krishna died & was born again & again he died. It is said that he will come to the earth in every 100 yrs & will die also or something like that .

can u explain this more ?
    In the Bhagavad Gita ch 4, vs 7 it says:

"yada yada hi dharmasya
    glanir bhavati bharata
    abhyutthanam adharmasya
    tadatmanam srjamy aham

Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time I descend Myself.

An incarnation of Ishwar, such as Lord Rama, or Lord Krishna, will appear in human form on this earth whenever unrighteousness (adharma)is predominant over righteousness (dharma) to correct the balance. In this way, Hindus believe, that Good will always ultimately overcome Evil. Since God appears in human form, this form is subject to all the laws of nature, and yes, his body will die.

I hope that helps.

Salaam and all the best,

Sarada

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Namaste Grace Seeker,

you asked:

How about energy -- light, heat, kinetic energy -- are each of these god the same way that a tree or a stone is?
    Yes, energy, potential energy, matter everything is God. Everything exists in God.

I find that Hinduism being a non-dual philosophy encompasses all of the so-called pairs of opposites, whereas the philosophy of the Abrahamic religions is dual in nature.

Hindus can easily accept "both and" in instances where Christians, Muslims, and Jews would say it must be "either or"

A common example that everyone can agree on is the question of fire. Is fire beneficial or harmful? The answer, of course, is that it is both. Fire is used to cook our food and provide warmth and light, but it can also be destructive if we come too close or let it get out of control.

lyesh's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam, Muslim Woman,

In the Bhagavad Gita ch 4, vs 7 it says:

"yada yada hi dharmasya
    glanir bhavati bharata
    abhyutthanam adharmasya
    tadatmanam srjamy aham

Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion--at that time I descend Myself.

An incarnation of Ishwar, such as Lord Rama, or Lord Krishna, will appear in human form on this earth whenever unrighteousness (adharma)is predominant over righteousness (dharma) to correct the balance. In this way, Hindus believe, that Good will always ultimately overcome Evil. Since God appears in human form, this form is subject to all the laws of nature, and yes, his body will die.

I hope that helps.

Salaam and all the best,

Sarada
    Hi Sarada,

Thanks so much for ur answers .
    So according to ur beliefs, God comes to Earth as a human... to make the Good win over the Evil. right? I believe that these days there is so much mischief and evil going on in the world. So is there a God in human form right now?

And also, I would like to know... what do the hindhu's believe will happen to a person after he dies? Do you believe there will be resurrection?

once again thank you for ur answers.

lYeSh

24. Report bad ads?
    snakelegs's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i like hindu philosophy - or at least what i know of it. but as for the religion, i can't get past the caste system.

each man thinks of his own fleas as gazelles
    question authority
    image06 1 - Questions about HInduism answered by a Hindu

26. Hide
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Questions about HInduism answered by a Hindu Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Questions about HInduism answered by a Hindu