× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 11 of 11 visibility 2541

Has anyone read this book? or has it?

جوري's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

saidthefishermanal3th - Has anyone read this book? or has it?

Text without context is pretext
    If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Has anyone read this book? or has it?

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    00:00's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Has anyone read this book? or has it?

No.

Marmaduke William Pickthall (1875-1936) was a Western Islamic scholar, translator of the Qur'an, and a convert to Islam
    Cant find any info about the book, whats it about?

The World is three days: As for yesterday, it has vanished, along with all that was in it. As for tomorrow, you may never see it. As for today, it is yours, so work in it.
    - Hassan al-Basri
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by 00:00 View Post
    No.

Cant find any info about the book, whats it about?
    a little info at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstrac...649C946597D6CF
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I tried to buy a first edition from a fellow on ebay but I didn't think the price was right and he didn't accept the offer I made.. They have private sellers on Amazon much cheaper but I am not sure it is of the same edition or kept in as good a condition.. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it at all before I took the dive.. I know we probably have many book readers and collectors on board?...

It got good reviews even from H.G wells but such old books have become some what of a forgotten relic..

I still hope someone can find me more info about it.. and I do appreciate Br. NoName's effort.. Jazaka Allah khyran but the brief introduction has me more intrigued than ever about the characters and the subject

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him 44845203 1 - Has anyone read this book? or has it?

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I read it years ago. But, to be honest I can not recall much of it. For some reason it did not make an impression on me at the time. However, now that I am Muslim, I may re-read it and see if my opinion is different.

Herman 1 - Has anyone read this book? or has it?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

what was it about?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post
    what was it about?

My memory is very vague of it. I just remember it was kind of a romance story set in Syria in the late 1800s or very early 1900s. I wasn't into Romance stories at that time. I was in high school when i read it.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I should clarify what I meant by romance novel. That was written in the late Victorian Era and romance novels were more in line with being character and morality building books and have no resemblance to what is today thought of as a romance story. They were primarily written for young men and women and the characters portrayed very high values and virtues.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have a feeling I am going to like it... I lovvvvvvvvvve victorian era books in general (limited to short victorian horrors pls don't crucify me for saying that) anyhow
    I was wondering if we should start a book club on LI for Islamic literature and the likes and you can be our arbiter, everyone would bring something new to the table? would people be up for that? we can start with this book? although I do appreciate the scarcity of it
    eh it is just an idea...

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    believer's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia View Post

I have a feeling I am going to like it... I lovvvvvvvvvve victorian era books in general (limited to short victorian horrors pls don't crucify me for saying that) anyhow
    I was wondering if we should start a book club on LI for Islamic literature and the likes and you can be our arbiter, everyone would bring something new to the table? would people be up for that? we can start with this book? although I do appreciate the scarcity of it
    eh it is just an idea...
    A Book Club would be nice! - .... have you encountered "Behold a Pale Horse"? - I don't know how I would classify this book... since it is based on facts and documents... about one mans' journey in discovering truth. Author is William Cooper. I am sure Woodrow is familiar with it.

In fact, I read some years ago just before I began re discovering my Bible to find and reflect on the book of Revelations... and when I finally read the Qur'an... I appreciated it the fact that I have read that book... due to the some truth written in it. That book was banned for many years... it was only recently after having so many movies and stories or write up came out to displell and deglamorize the existence of secret societies which came out in the public and this book eventually surfaced in the internet. If you google it - you will probably find it now... but last year in retrospect.... it wasn't available, (I tried all search sites to see if anyone has it). And most of the guys who have it before were afraid of their lives for merely possessing it. Anyway, just a thought.

Eidh Mubarak!
    Last edited by believer; 10-16-2007 at 12:05 PM.

La illaha illalah
    45: Surah-al-Jahtiyah
    verse 20: "This Qur'an is a Clear Proof and Evidence for Mankind and a Guidance and Mercy for a people who have faith with certainty.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Soldier Through It!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

akhi.. That sounds like a good book to start with, if we can get many members to join our discussion.. perhaps you can make that recommendation? I don't know how we should do this, I'd like someone more knowing than me to take charge.. perhaps have a poll of 4 or 5 suggestions see what everyone would like to start with?

chat Quote

15. Hide
Hey there! Has anyone read this book? or has it? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Has anyone read this book? or has it?