× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 3 of 3 visibility 1571

Isa or Jesus

azim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Isa or Jesus

Report bad ads?

Salam.

I was reading the Wycliffe version of the Bible (which is the very first translation into English, somewhere around the early 11th century) and I noticed Jesus is spelt Jesu.

The interesting thing is, in Old English, J is a 'ee' noise and 'u' is more like 'uuh'. (Thats thank to the Great Vowel Shift, no joke, its called that).

So my immediate thought was, it must be Isa, and that back then they said Isa.

Yet many Christians claim its 'Yeshua'. Which is also likely since Y was sometimes made into J (Yacoub became Jacob).

Obviously, as a muslim I know it's Isa, but I was wondering if theres any proof out their to substantiate the claim.

You may see this as trivial, but Christians called him Yeshua since it means God. So prooving it was Isa proves 1)his name didnt mean God and 2)the Quran is reliable on this account.

Thanks. Salaam.
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    azim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Isa or Jesus

The question is 'Is there any other proof out there to claim Isa's (as) name was actually Isa, and not Yeshua as Christians claim?"

...Wheres the confusion?
    chat Quote

yoshiyahu's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Isa or Jesus

The Jesu reading is because the greek version of his name is pronounced Iesous (IIRC).

Yeshua is probably what Jesus/Isa was called in his day to day life. It is a shortened version of the Hebrew name Yehoshua (meaning "God is my deliverer/salvation"), which in English is Joshua.
    Isa or Jesus

سلام - שלום
    chat Quote

5. Hide
Hey there! Isa or Jesus Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Isa or Jesus