× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Practice What You Preach
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    kmjamal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Hyderabad, India
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    40
    Threads
    23
    Reputation
    352
    Rep Power
    15
    Likes (Given)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    34

    Practice What You Preach

    Report bad ads?

    ► PROPHET MUHAMMAD (ﷺ) said:

    A man will be brought on the Day of Resurrection and thrown in the (Hell) Fire, so that his intestines will come out, and he will go around like a donkey goes around a millstone. The people of (Hell) Fire will gather around him and say: O so-and-so! What is wrong with you? Didn't you use to order us to do good deeds and forbid us to do bad deeds? He will reply: Yes, I used to order you to do good deeds, but I did not do them myself, and I used to forbid you to do bad deeds, yet I used to do them myself.


    (SAHIH BUKHARI Vol #4, Hadith #3267)
    (SAHIH BUKHARI Vol #9, Hadith #7098)
    (SAHIH MUSLIM Vol #7, Hadith #7483-7484)

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,232
    Threads
    270
    Reputation
    19689
    Rep Power
    29
    Likes (Given)
    654
    Likes (Received)
    1902

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    It's really very serious issue that we should act upon what we teach others .
    2 | Likes ruglifeTX, Al Khorasani liked this post

  4. #3
    ruglifeTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    84
    Threads
    3
    Reputation
    567
    Rep Power
    10
    Likes (Given)
    130
    Likes (Received)
    79

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    If I could like this more than once I would. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the term but i do my very best to make sure to not do or say anything hypocritical. I want to be an example of a good Muslim since I work with a lot of people who aren't Muslims
    2 | Likes greenhill, Al Khorasani liked this post

  5. #4
    talibilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Thailand
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    921
    Threads
    23
    Reputation
    3888
    Rep Power
    16
    Likes (Given)
    625
    Likes (Received)
    592

    Re: Practice What You Preach



    Noble Quran 61:2-3

    '' O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do?''
    ''
    Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do.''
    1 | Likes Al Khorasani liked this post

  6. Report bad ads?
  7. #5
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,232
    Threads
    270
    Reputation
    19689
    Rep Power
    29
    Likes (Given)
    654
    Likes (Received)
    1902

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by ruglifeTX View Post
    If I could like this more than once I would. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the term but i do my very best to make sure to not do or say anything hypocritical. I want to be an example of a good Muslim since I work with a lot of people who aren't Muslims
    each of us represents Islam, if we are bad Muslims then they find an opportunity to defame all Muslims hope you are a good representative of Islam
    3 | Likes ruglifeTX, greenhill, Al Khorasani liked this post

  8. #6
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,232
    Threads
    270
    Reputation
    19689
    Rep Power
    29
    Likes (Given)
    654
    Likes (Received)
    1902

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by talibilm View Post
    Noble Quran 61:2-3 '' O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do?'''' Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do.''
    these ayat stop me to teach other brothers
    1 | Likes ruglifeTX liked this post

  9. #7
    greenhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Malaysia
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    3,365
    Threads
    60
    Reputation
    21953
    Rep Power
    45
    Likes (Given)
    1935
    Likes (Received)
    2121

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by talibilm View Post


    Noble Quran 61:2-3

    '' O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do?''
    ''
    Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do.''
    I believe this is in relation to the hypocrites. . . (I am only guessing)

    If it is something I feel that I cannot do due to whatever reason, I would discuss the virtues and let it be 'seen' the purpose of it. So, the person can weigh the significance and make his own decision for I may be too weak to do it…

    Example, I would say do as I say not as I do… and smoking is one of them. I tell them, what I thought was a cool thing to do when younger is not, and has become a real bane and a real bad habit that is nearing impossible to stop. So, do not start!

    It is just an advice. It is not something that I tell people not to do and I hide away and smoke. Ha ha. I don't believe it is hypocritical…


    Last edited by greenhill; 12-24-2016 at 03:35 AM.
    1 | Likes ruglifeTX liked this post
    Practice What You Preach

    As long as my heart does beat, I shall live, not lie
    For when my heart does stop its beat, with truth, I die.

  10. #8
    greenhill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Malaysia
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    3,365
    Threads
    60
    Reputation
    21953
    Rep Power
    45
    Likes (Given)
    1935
    Likes (Received)
    2121

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by ruglifeTX View Post
    If I could like this more than once I would. I'm not perfect by any stretch of the term but i do my very best to make sure to not do or say anything hypocritical. I want to be an example of a good Muslim since I work with a lot of people who aren't Muslims
    I remember an uncle of mine (from whom I learnt the basics of islam before I was a teenager) who balanced the worship and daily life in such a way that it opened the mind and heart of an Austrian family friend who would often stay with us into the deen and changed his name from Lutz to Lutifi. I have since lost contact with him but the 'ways' of islam, as I have observed, can be something attractive to people watching from the outside, especially if it brings serenity and calmness to the one practicing. I found, what puts people off is bigotry.


    Practice What You Preach

    As long as my heart does beat, I shall live, not lie
    For when my heart does stop its beat, with truth, I die.

  11. #9
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,232
    Threads
    270
    Reputation
    19689
    Rep Power
    29
    Likes (Given)
    654
    Likes (Received)
    1902

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    عن جندب بن عبد الله الأزدي رضي الله عنه صاحب النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم عن رسول الله صلى الله عليه و سلم قال مثل الذي يعلم الناس الخير وينسى نفسه كمثل السراج يضيء للناس ويحرق نفسه الحديث رواه الطبراني في الكبير وإسناده حسن إن شاء الله تعالى )الترغيب والترهيب 1/173(

    Hazrat Jundub bin Abdillah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “The example of the one who teaches people good deeds while he forgets himself (i.e. he does not practice on the good) is like a lamp which provides light for people while it burns itself.”

  12. Report bad ads?
  13. #10
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,232
    Threads
    270
    Reputation
    19689
    Rep Power
    29
    Likes (Given)
    654
    Likes (Received)
    1902

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    عن الوليد بن عقبة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إن أناسا من أهل الجنة ينطلقون إلى أناس من أهل النار فيقولون بم دخلتم النار فوالله ما دخلنا الجنة إلا بما تعلمنا منكم فيقولون إنا كنا نقول ولا نفعل رواه الطبراني في الكبير )الترغيب والترهيب 1/171(

    Hazrat Waleed bin Uqbah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “A group of the people of Jannah will go to a group of the people of Jahannum and ask them: ‘What has caused you to enter Jahannum? By the qasm of Allah, we only entered Jannah because of what we learnt from you (i.e. the good we acquired through your preaching to us).’ They would reply saying: ‘Indeed we used to preach and speak about it, however we did not practise upon it (in our lives).’”

  14. #11
    umie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    279
    Threads
    3
    Reputation
    1032
    Rep Power
    4
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    191

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by azc View Post
    عن الوليد بن عقبة رضي الله عنه قال قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم إن أناسا من أهل الجنة ينطلقون إلى أناس من أهل النار فيقولون بم دخلتم النار فوالله ما دخلنا الجنة إلا بما تعلمنا منكم فيقولون إنا كنا نقول ولا نفعل رواه الطبراني في الكبير )الترغيب والترهيب 1/171(

    Hazrat Waleed bin Uqbah (Radhiyallahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “A group of the people of Jannah will go to a group of the people of Jahannum and ask them: ‘What has caused you to enter Jahannum? By the qasm of Allah, we only entered Jannah because of what we learnt from you (i.e. the good we acquired through your preaching to us).’ They would reply saying: ‘Indeed we used to preach and speak about it, however we did not practise upon it (in our lives).’”
    so, if you preach something, but you do not act upon it, you are committing a big sin.
    This sounds very logical.
    Preaching something means you have knowledge about it.
    in other words, if you have knowledge about something, and you do not act upon it, you are committing a sin.
    counter rule of this:
    If you do not have knowledge about something and you do not act upon it, you are not committing a sin...because, how can you commit a sin if you do not know that is prohibited?

    So also logical.

    if you have knowledge about something, you have several options:
    1 preach, act upon it
    2 preach, not act upon it
    3 not preach, act upon it
    4 not preach, not act upon it

    option 1 is of course the best option.
    The hadeeth is about option 2, but I think this option is still better than option 4.
    this, because you earned hasanahs by preaching by helping people gain knowledge. this cannot be wrong, whether you act upon it or not.
    option 4, you are committing a sin, but you also didn't earn any hasanahs.

    Option 3 is a tricky one. you have the opportunity to teach people something good...but you refuse to do that...people are sinning just because you chose to keep your mouth shut (they are not really sinning because the do not know it is wrong, but you do know that and you are not correcting that).

    I do not know if option 3 is OK.

  15. #12
    azc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,232
    Threads
    270
    Reputation
    19689
    Rep Power
    29
    Likes (Given)
    654
    Likes (Received)
    1902

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by umie View Post
    so, if you preach something, but you do not act upon it, you are committing a big sin.
    This sounds very logical.
    Preaching something means you have knowledge about it.
    in other words, if you have knowledge about something, and you do not act upon it, you are committing a sin.
    counter rule of this:
    If you do not have knowledge about something and you do not act upon it, you are not committing a sin...because, how can you commit a sin if you do not know that is prohibited?

    So also logical.

    if you have knowledge about something, you have several options:
    1 preach, act upon it
    2 preach, not act upon it
    3 not preach, act upon it
    4 not preach, not act upon it

    option 1 is of course the best option.
    The hadeeth is about option 2, but I think this option is still better than option 4.
    this, because you earned hasanahs by preaching by helping people gain knowledge. this cannot be wrong, whether you act upon it or not.
    option 4, you are committing a sin, but you also didn't earn any hasanahs.

    Option 3 is a tricky one. you have the opportunity to teach people something good...but you refuse to do that...people are sinning just because you chose to keep your mouth shut (they are not really sinning because the do not know it is wrong, but you do know that and you are not correcting that).

    I do not know if option 3 is OK.
    lowest level of knowledge which enables a Muslim to know haram and halal is fardh.

    Sharing knowledge is better option than preaching.

  16. #13
    Zzz_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    459
    Threads
    10
    Reputation
    1039
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    188
    Likes (Received)
    247

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by umie View Post
    so, if you preach something, but you do not act upon it, you are committing a big sin.
    This sounds very logical.
    Preaching something means you have knowledge about it.
    in other words, if you have knowledge about something, and you do not act upon it, you are committing a sin.
    counter rule of this:
    If you do not have knowledge about something and you do not act upon it, you are not committing a sin...because, how can you commit a sin if you do not know that is prohibited?

    So also logical.

    if you have knowledge about something, you have several options:
    1 preach, act upon it
    2 preach, not act upon it
    3 not preach, act upon it
    4 not preach, not act upon it

    option 1 is of course the best option.
    The hadeeth is about option 2, but I think this option is still better than option 4.
    this, because you earned hasanahs by preaching by helping people gain knowledge. this cannot be wrong, whether you act upon it or not.
    option 4, you are committing a sin, but you also didn't earn any hasanahs.

    Option 3 is a tricky one. you have the opportunity to teach people something good...but you refuse to do that...people are sinning just because you chose to keep your mouth shut (they are not really sinning because the do not know it is wrong, but you do know that and you are not correcting that).

    I do not know if option 3 is OK.
    1. this is ideal

    2. you should enjoin good and forbid evil (preach) because that is still commanded of you, but not acting upon it yourself is not very good for you - https://islamqa.info/en/175916

    3. There are two things in regards to this.
    a.) there are things that must be done and if no one in the community does it then the whole community gets sinned, but if some in the community do it then others are free from its obligation.
    b.) preaching doesn't have to be like islamic speakers, enjoining good and forbidding evil in every day things with the people you interact suffices as well.

    an important thing to note is knowing the etiquette of dawaah is more important otherwise one could do more harm then good.
    1 | Likes umie liked this post

  17. #14
    umie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    279
    Threads
    3
    Reputation
    1032
    Rep Power
    4
    Likes (Given)
    66
    Likes (Received)
    191

    Re: Practice What You Preach

    Quote Originally Posted by Zzz_ View Post
    1. this is ideal

    2. you should enjoin good and forbid evil (preach) because that is still commanded of you, but not acting upon it yourself is not very good for you - https://islamqa.info/en/175916

    3. There are two things in regards to this.
    a.) there are things that must be done and if no one in the community does it then the whole community gets sinned, but if some in the community do it then others are free from its obligation.
    b.) preaching doesn't have to be like islamic speakers, enjoining good and forbidding evil in every day things with the people you interact suffices as well.

    an important thing to note is knowing the etiquette of dawaah is more important otherwise one could do more harm then good.
    Makes sense. Thank you for this clarification

  18. Hide
Hey there! Practice What You Preach Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Practice What You Preach
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. What do the imaams preach or give sermons about in the mosque?
    By blackbeard88 in forum Discover Islam
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 02:27 AM
  2. CAIR: 'Reformed Terrorists' Preach Christ to College Kids
    By islamirama in forum World Affairs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 05:30 AM
  3. practicing what we preach
    By caroline in forum Discover Islam
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 03:46 AM
  4. Preach
    By sadia in forum Creative Writing & Art
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create