× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    InToTheRain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,180
    Threads
    115
    Reputation
    11704
    Rep Power
    90
    Likes (Given)
    228
    Likes (Received)
    184

    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Report bad ads?

    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence
    By Abdal Hakim Murad

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...-violence.html
    | Likes MuslimInshallah, Zafran liked this post
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

    The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    gurufabbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Paris, France
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Judaism
    Posts
    50
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    26
    Rep Power
    32
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Yeah I've seen this article.

    It gets a bit more into the mindset about the prophet that I still do not understand.

  4. #3
    Pygoscelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Atheism
    Posts
    4,013
    Threads
    51
    Reputation
    12327
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    320
    Likes (Received)
    675

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    The irony is pretty thick.

  5. #4
    titus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Atheism
    Posts
    895
    Threads
    3
    Reputation
    2650
    Rep Power
    66
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Is the original poster actually saying that the Paris shootings were justified since the cartoons were an act of violence? If not then what exactly is the purpose of saying that a cartoon is an act of violence?

    And why are there so many people that are so insecure that they think a cartoon can harm their religion?

  6. Report bad ads?
  7. #5
    InToTheRain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,180
    Threads
    115
    Reputation
    11704
    Rep Power
    90
    Likes (Given)
    228
    Likes (Received)
    184

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Hello Chaps

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    Yeah I've seen this article.

    It gets a bit more into the mindset about the prophet that I still do not understand.
    I don't think a non-Muslim can appreciate the spiritual and emotinal bond between us and Mohammad( ). You can see some views from non-muslim perspectives here:
    http://www.gainpeace.com/index.php?o...=41&Itemid=105

    His immense love for mankind is immeasurable:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/disco...2/114414853706


    Quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    The irony is pretty thick.
    OR the pretty irony is thick

    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    Is the original poster actually saying that the Paris shootings were justified since the cartoons were an act of violence? If not then what exactly is the purpose of saying that a cartoon is an act of violence?

    Islam has no room for vigilate justice so even if someone were to be violent towards me I would need to follow the laws of the land. As a renowned scholar mentioned, no insult on the Prophet ( ) is worthy of taking the blood of an innocent in his name.

    Having said that I have no sympathy for Charlie Hebdoe and his ilk whom I see as sadists. These people are hardly innocent.

    Here's another good article on that by Norman Finkelstein:
    http://www.aa.com.tr/en/headline/452...ism-not-satire


    Quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    And why are there so many people that are so insecure that they think a cartoon can harm their religion?
    I think the article explained quite succintly the reasons why such acts are a threat seeing as they are analogues to what was perpetrated against the Jews by the Nazis.


    Any more questions regarding the Article can be forwarded to the Good Dean at Cambridge University. Email address can be found there:
    http://www.divinity.cam.ac.uk/directory/timothy-winter
    Last edited by InToTheRain; 01-24-2015 at 12:29 AM.
    | Likes syed_z, BeTheChange, Zafran liked this post
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

    The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters

  8. #6
    Abdullahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    86
    Threads
    5
    Reputation
    441
    Rep Power
    32
    Likes (Given)
    70
    Likes (Received)
    72

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    There are limits to free speech. If you cross the line, prepare yourself for the consequences.
    | Likes BeTheChange liked this post

  9. #7
    syed_z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    730
    Threads
    21
    Reputation
    5119
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    273
    Likes (Received)
    332

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by titus View Post
    And why are there so many people that are so insecure that they think a cartoon can harm their religion?
    What seems insignificant to you is of great significance to someone else, but how would you understand this when you have adopted Atheism, when you don't believe in God how would you have any respect for His Chosen ones?

    I suggest you read the Quran and help yourselves because what your following will disown you on the day of judgement which is not so far. Your judgment will begin with your own death and every one of us has to die and return to Allah (swt).

    Allah (swt) loves you, so help yourselves before its too late...He has given us all time so we return to Him and so He could have Mercy on us for His Mercy is Eternal and ever trying to win back those whom Satan have misguided.

    (18:58) And your Lord is the Forgiving, full of mercy. If He were to impose blame upon them for what they earned, He would have hastened for them the punishment. Rather, for them is an appointment from which they will never find an escape.
    Last edited by syed_z; 01-24-2015 at 07:28 AM.
    | Likes BeTheChange liked this post

  10. #8
    Pygoscelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Atheism
    Posts
    4,013
    Threads
    51
    Reputation
    12327
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    320
    Likes (Received)
    675

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by syed_z
    Allah (swt) loves you, so help yourselves before its too late...He has given us all time so we return to Him and so He could have Mercy on us for His Mercy is Eternal and ever trying to win back those whom Satan have misguided.

    (18:58) And your Lord is the Forgiving, full of mercy. If He were to impose blame upon them for what they earned, He would have hastened for them the punishment. Rather, for them is an appointment from which they will never find an escape.
    Why are verses like this in the holy books of the Muslim and Christian and Jewish religions considered less offensive to atheists and other non-believers than the cartoons are to Muslims? I have been told by some, seemingly with glee, that I will suffer forever in hellfire because I don't believe in and worship a particular God. And the people saying that stand by that God, and say I deserve such treatment since I don't believe what they do. Why should that be less offensive to me than a drawing of Mohammed holding up a sign saying 'Je Suis Charlie" is to a Muslim?
    Last edited by Pygoscelis; 01-24-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    | Likes BeTheChange liked this post

  11. #9
    BeTheChange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,048
    Threads
    129
    Reputation
    14673
    Rep Power
    48
    Likes (Given)
    3447
    Likes (Received)
    1701

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    Why are verses like this in the holy books of the Muslim and Christian and Jewish religions considered less offensive to atheists and other non-believers than the cartoons are to Muslims? I have been told by some, seemingly with glee, that I will suffer forever in hellfire because I don't believe in and worship a particular God. And the people saying that stand by that God, and say I deserve such treatment since I don't believe what they do. Why should that be less offensive to me than a drawing of Mohammed holding up a sign saying 'Je Suis Charlie" is to a Muslim?
    Hello Pygoscelis,

    Hope your well.

    I wanted to click reply with quote but accidentally clicked on like your post freebie due to my clumsiness lol

    Just wanted to reply to your thoughts and advise that - Of course, non believers and atheists will find the scriptures to hold no value and no meaning so therefore offence doesn't come into their thought processes. You can only be offended by something or someone if you CARE or believe in that subject or individual in question.

    You don't believe in our Prophet Muhammad SAW (PBUH) and the message that he was conveying to mankind so it doesn't matter how people talk about Him (SAW), what they draw etc. To Muslims, who believe in Prophet SAW, the Day of Judgement, the Devil etc it is more than an insult. Like another poster commented, there is limits to this so called illusionary freedom that people boast about.
    | Likes syed_z, Scimitar liked this post
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Pain and hardships allow you to grow spiritually Alhamdulilah so smile when a so called calamity befalls upon you.
    Alhamdulilah Allah swt is the greatest.

  12. Report bad ads?
  13. #10
    syed_z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    730
    Threads
    21
    Reputation
    5119
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    273
    Likes (Received)
    332

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis View Post
    Why are verses like this in the holy books of the Muslim and Christian and Jewish religions considered less offensive to atheists and other non-believers than the cartoons are to Muslims? I have been told by some, seemingly with glee, that I will suffer forever in hellfire because I don't believe in and worship a particular God. And the people saying that stand by that God, and say I deserve such treatment since I don't believe what they do. Why should that be less offensive to me than a drawing of Mohammed holding up a sign saying 'Je Suis Charlie" is to a Muslim?
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    The Verses I share are not from any human, they are from the Al Mighty Creator of the Entire Universe, at least what we believe. So if the Verse I shared which says 'Your Lord is Forgiving (your mistakes which you have made by disbelieving in Him), Full of Mercy (that is He wants to have mercy on you for Eternity in this life and the hereafter) ....then it really confuses me that how can you even think the word 'offensive' for His Message.

    If you have been told by someone that you deserve Eternal Hell fire and that you will suffer forever, then that is their views and opinion they shared about you, Allah (swt) hasn't decreed that, you can ask them how they know the Unseen? at least I can say that because your still alive and He in His Mercy has given you so much time to rethink, because His aim is not to punish you but forgive you and bestow His Eternal Mercy on you, provided you choose to accept it, if you won't then it is not any one's else's loss except your own.

    If you've been offended by what a Believer has said to you as a result of a heated or emotional argument then know that it is that person whose saying not Allah (swt). You make that a reason to disbelieve in Allah (swt), that is again your own loss.

    Allah's message for you is in the Quran, read it and accept it so you may be saved in this Life and the Hereafter, make your heart soft with humbleness and request Him to guide you so it can be easily acceptable:

    (59:21) If We had sent down this Qur'an upon a mountain, you would have seen it humbled and coming apart from fear of Allah . And these examples We present to the people that perhaps they will give thought.

    Our hearts can be harder than mountains ...
    Last edited by syed_z; 01-24-2015 at 10:23 PM.

  14. #11
    gurufabbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Paris, France
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Judaism
    Posts
    50
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    26
    Rep Power
    32
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain View Post
    Hello Chaps



    I don't think a non-Muslim can appreciate the spiritual and emotinal bond between us and Mohammad( ). You can see some views from non-muslim perspectives here:
    http://www.gainpeace.com/index.php?o...=41&Itemid=105

    His immense love for mankind is immeasurable:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/disco...2/114414853706


    I think the article explained quite succintly the reasons why such acts are a threat seeing as they are analogues to what was perpetrated against the Jews by the Nazis.

    No, I don't think we can... (for Mohammed).
    Well, yes, Jews can in terms of their own prophets though I don't think this has ever been an issue as much as it seems to be today for Islam (maybe because the West is apart of post-christian civilization and therefore has had the same prophets and figures).

    The thing that seems to be shown in all this is a particular attachment and reverence for the Islamic prophet (which is obvious as it is only Muslims that recognize his prophethood), which perhaps then sees a particular attack on the figure as an attack on their religious beliefs. It is understandable, especially for the Muslim minority in the West.

    The reaction however is not so understandable as one wonders why Muslims should care what disbelievers think or say about their prophet. Why is it so important to them that people that do not even believe in Islam should accord him respect to the point that they should muzzle themselves?

    -------------

    I disagree with the last sentence, for the simple reason (among others though why such a comparison is ridiculous) that the Charlie Hebdo is a far left magazing manned by atheists, rather than by anti-Muslim far right activists that wish to do any physical harm to anyone.

  15. #12
    Pygoscelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Atheism
    Posts
    4,013
    Threads
    51
    Reputation
    12327
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    320
    Likes (Received)
    675

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by syed_z View Post
    The Verses I share are not from any human, they are from the Al Mighty Creator of the Entire Universe, at least what we believe. So if the Verse I shared which says 'Your Lord is Forgiving (your mistakes which you have made by disbelieving in Him), Full of Mercy (that is He wants to have mercy on you for Eternity in this life and the hereafter) ....then it really confuses me that how can you even think the word 'offensive' for His Message.
    I often hear this is the form of

    1. You deserve punishment and suffering.
    2. Allah / Jesus / etc is merciful and will forgive you and spare you...
    3. If you believe X and do Y.

    Those of us who are non-believers reject point 1 and would rightly find it offensive. It is the premise of 2 and 3, even if it isn't explicitly stated.

    because your still alive and He in His Mercy has given you so much time to rethink, because His aim is not to punish you but forgive you and bestow His Eternal Mercy on you, provided you choose to accept it, if you won't then it is not any one's else's loss except your own.
    And there it is.
    Last edited by Pygoscelis; 01-25-2015 at 04:19 AM.

  16. #13
    Scimitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    DAWAH DIGITAL HQ
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,449
    Threads
    147
    Reputation
    51364
    Rep Power
    87
    Likes (Given)
    8655
    Likes (Received)
    6251

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    i think the title of this thread: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    ...is a bit strong to be honest.

    It certainly isn't an act of violence (though it did result in one). What it is though, is a provocation. Yes, it's an abuse of free speech .Hate speech, vindictive speech and incitements to violence etc have all been allowed under this uber-liberal banner of free speech.

    I'm all for free speech but my definition of it is somewhat different to the modern day PC one. I believe people should be allowed to say what they like, draw what they like, propagate what they like - as long as it is done without offending any groups.

    There is a limit on what people will call civil - and it is in this idea of what it means to be civilised that we must champion the understanding of this idea which we are having problems with - free speech - has to be mandated to be the expression of ideas in various forms within an ethnically, religiously and socially conscious framework. Without this, you will have problems - with the understanding, people will learn to respect each other - something which is missing in the real world.

    Scimi
    Last edited by Scimitar; 01-25-2015 at 02:48 AM.
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence


  17. #14
    Zafran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Earth -UK
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,739
    Threads
    17
    Reputation
    12766
    Rep Power
    79
    Likes (Given)
    1114
    Likes (Received)
    566

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    No, I don't think we can... (for Mohammed).
    Well, yes, Jews can in terms of their own prophets though I don't think this has ever been an issue as much as it seems to be today for Islam (maybe because the West is apart of post-christian civilization and therefore has had the same prophets and figures).

    The thing that seems to be shown in all this is a particular attachment and reverence for the Islamic prophet (which is obvious as it is only Muslims that recognize his prophethood), which perhaps then sees a particular attack on the figure as an attack on their religious beliefs. It is understandable, especially for the Muslim minority in the West.

    The reaction however is not so understandable as one wonders why Muslims should care what disbelievers think or say about their prophet. Why is it so important to them that people that do not even believe in Islam should accord him respect to the point that they should muzzle themselves?

    -------------

    I disagree with the last sentence, for the simple reason (among others though why such a comparison is ridiculous) that the Charlie Hebdo is a far left magazing manned by atheists, rather than by anti-Muslim far right activists that wish to do any physical harm to anyone.
    These cartoon were not drawn randomly - they are being perceived as a humiliating attack on Muslims and Islam. In an environment of invasions, Torture files and mosque arson attacks - these drawings are just the icing on the cake.

    The dudes should not have been killed (as the article says) - Muslims should care about what non muslims think - Humiliating what Muslims stand for and hold dear needs to be protested. I don't think most Muslims want to live in environment where they are being humiliated constantly, like burning poppies in the UK. Clear act of humiliation and provocation, or saying that soldiers are in hell when their bodies are returning from Iraq/Afghanistan.

    You don't have to be right winger to be anti Islamic - many lefties are as well - atheist obviously are.
    Last edited by Zafran; 01-25-2015 at 03:01 AM.
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Do you think the pious don't sin?

    They merely:
    Veiled themselves and didn't flaunt it
    Sought forgiveness and didn't persist
    Took ownership of it and don't justify it
    And acted with excellence after they had erred - Ibn al-Qayyim

  18. Report bad ads?
  19. #15
    gurufabbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Paris, France
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Judaism
    Posts
    50
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    26
    Rep Power
    32
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    I'm all for free speech but my definition of it is somewhat different to the modern day PC one. I believe people should be allowed to say what they like, draw what they like, propagate what they like - as long as it is done without offending any groups.
    Leaving the current subject aside for a moment, I'm sure you're aware as well as I am that this is impossible.
    We live in societies where "I'm offended" counts as an argument, and in your scenario would act as a veto.

    Some things that are useless and silly offend people, but no less important and truthful statements end up offending certain people all the time as well.
    | Likes Scimitar liked this post

  20. #16
    InToTheRain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,180
    Threads
    115
    Reputation
    11704
    Rep Power
    90
    Likes (Given)
    228
    Likes (Received)
    184

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    The reaction however is not so understandable as one wonders why Muslims should care what disbelievers think or say about their prophet.
    We don't care for what they say within their own private domain, circle or household however if we allow these attacks on Mohammad(SAW) in front of us then it gives the impression that it's acceptable or tolerable to the Muslims when honestly it is intolerable for many reasons.

    let's make it clear We do not care for what you say about extreme fringes within our community for even Mohammad(SAW) forwarned that we will have extreme elements. We all have extreme elements within our society regardless of what beliefs they subsribe to and unfortunately they are not easy control. We condemn them with the rest of the world.

    But these extreme fringes have nothing to do with Mohammad(SAW) or his way. To insult him and what he stood for should be felt not just by Muslims but also by those who know what he stood for.

    It was he Mohammad(SAW) who spoke against racism, respected and honored the beliefs of religious monorities and built cohesion within society. He didn't force Shariah law on Jews and Christians but rather allowed them to practice according to their scriptures within his domain. It was Muslims who allowed the Jews to enter Jeruselem after they were exiled. The first written constitution in History was made by Mohamamd(SAW); the treaty of Hudaybiah.
    He wanted whats good for all even those who did not subsribe to his beliefs so to give the green flag to insult him (SAW) for the actions of some extreme elements is out and out gross injustice.

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    Why is it so important to them that people that do not even believe in Islam should accord him respect to the point that they should muzzle themselves?
    Again the private domain doesn't matter but if someone insults someone I hold dear to my Heart within my earshot knowing full well how hurt I would be by it then expect some noise. Just to give an example would you tolerate me insulting your beloved parents in front of you and family after they died due to me believing they were bad people? In a civilized world would it be acceptable for me to insult them in this way and should we be encouraging such behaviour? And ultimately to what end?

    -------------
    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    I disagree with the last sentence, for the simple reason (among others though why such a comparison is ridiculous) that the Charlie Hebdo is a far left magazing manned by atheists, rather than by anti-Muslim far right activists that wish to do any physical harm to anyone.
    But you being here proves otherwise. You yourself question the ability of Islam and muslims to be civilized and co-exist within society; those very thoughts are proof enough that there is a widespread propaganda against Islam. So agree to disagree on this one
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

    The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters

  21. #17
    gurufabbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Paris, France
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Judaism
    Posts
    50
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    26
    Rep Power
    32
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by InToTheRain View Post
    We don't care for what they say within their own private domain, circle or household however if we allow these attacks on Mohammad(SAW) in front of us then it gives the impression that it's acceptable or tolerable to the Muslims when honestly it is intolerable for many reasons.

    let's make it clear We do not care for what you say about extreme fringes within our community for even Mohammad(SAW) forwarned that we will have extreme elements. We all have extreme elements within our society regardless of what beliefs they subsribe to and unfortunately they are not easy control. We condemn them with the rest of the world.

    But these extreme fringes have nothing to do with Mohammad(SAW) or his way. To insult him and what he stood for should be felt not just by Muslims but also by those who know what he stood for.

    It was he Mohammad(SAW) who spoke against racism, respected and honored the beliefs of religious monorities and built cohesion within society. He didn't force Shariah law on Jews and Christians but rather allowed them to practice according to their scriptures within his domain. It was Muslims who allowed the Jews to enter Jeruselem after they were exiled. The first written constitution in History was made by Mohamamd(SAW); the treaty of Hudaybiah.
    He wanted whats good for all even those who did not subsribe to his beliefs so to give the green flag to insult him (SAW) for the actions of some extreme elements is out and out gross injustice.



    Again the private domain doesn't matter but if someone insults someone I hold dear to my Heart within my earshot knowing full well how hurt I would be by it then expect some noise. Just to give an example would you tolerate me insulting your beloved parents in front of you and family after they died due to me believing they were bad people? In a civilized world would it be acceptable for me to insult them in this way and should we be encouraging such behaviour? And ultimately to what end?

    -------------


    But you being here proves otherwise. You yourself question the ability of Islam and muslims to be civilized and co-exist within society; those very thoughts are proof enough that there is a widespread propaganda against Islam. So agree to disagree on this one
    I think I gave my reasoning in the last message about how it is understandable that Muslims can feel personally attacked by depictions of their prophet, as Mohammed is one that is particular to their religion. I think that Muslims like any other religious group have and should have the right to protest against it and voice their dislike.

    I think that it has become somewhat of a national cause here in France since the terror attacks. The local union (CSGT) sent two copies of the edition to its members, next to the 7 million or so that have been sold of a newspaper that usually doesn't sell more than 60 000.

    I am quite happy, do not underwhelmed, that you find it acceptable to criticize the extreme segments of Muslim community, but what of the question of why it seems to exist more vocally within yours than in others?

    Why from France alone, 1000 have run off to join ISIS in Syria and Iraq?

    The first written constitution in History was made by Mohamamd(SAW); the treaty of Hudaybiah.
    A side point, but it was neither the first treaty nor the first constitution in history. The Ancient Greeks or even the Babylonians and Persians had them way before.
    Still I found the wikipedia article and found it interesting.

    But you being here proves otherwise. You yourself question the ability of Islam and muslims to be civilized and co-exist within society; those very thoughts are proof enough that there is a widespread propaganda against Islam. So agree to disagree on this one
    Not at all. The question is not on individuals but on the collective problem of whether millions of Muslims can coexist with radically different conceptions of society and rights without it coming to clashes.
    I base myself on the events and ask questions on what Islam really says on certain issues.

    Perhaps, even likely, there is much misinformation out there, but I'm not convinced that is all misinformation and propaganda that leaves people with a bad impression.

  22. #18
    InToTheRain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,180
    Threads
    115
    Reputation
    11704
    Rep Power
    90
    Likes (Given)
    228
    Likes (Received)
    184

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    I think I gave my reasoning in the last message about how it is understandable that Muslims can feel personally attacked by depictions of their prophet, as Mohammed is one that is particular to their religion. I think that Muslims like any other religious group have and should have the right to protest against it and voice their dislike.
    It did not escape me and I appreciate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    I think that it has become somewhat of a national cause here in France since the terror attacks. The local union (CSGT) sent two copies of the edition to its members, next to the 7 million or so that have been sold of a newspaper that usually doesn't sell more than 60 000.

    I am quite happy, do not underwhelmed, that you find it acceptable to criticize the extreme segments of Muslim community, but what of the question of why it seems to exist more vocally within yours than in others?

    Why from France alone, 1000 have run off to join ISIS in Syria and Iraq?
    You'll find that those who do run off are amongst the ignorant and arrogant youth. This is a dangerous combination for it leads them to believe they know more about Islam than the Scholars and those who follow those scholars. ISIS appeal to their emotional and rebellious nature. When they see the difficulties in Muslim worlds they blame the Muslims for not doing enough about it so they run off.

    As for the power and influence that these extremists have acquired I have mentioned in other threads it's not solely the distorted version of Islam they use that has helped them but also because of the Western Goverments meddling. I have written here about it:
    A picture that speaks more than a thousand words...

    I will have a little rant and say that Under the the aegis of the dismal Saudi traitors, who could not even defend the Ka'abah without calling upon the booted elite of the French troops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Mosque_seizure), Islam has been disgraced and the Muslims humiliated, until under their misguidance men have been forced into despair of nihilism and suicides of terror which both declare their abject defeat in finding true Islam. For only someone who has not found Islam can actually think that suicide bombing maybe the answer as their current practice bears no fruit. Saudi themselves usurped power by applying laws against Muslims in order to usurp their lands as ISIS are doing now.

    Also what's more "Vocal" is dependant upon how much we are informed by those we are relying upon to inform us. For example the war crimes by Mugabe in Zimbabwe did not get much spot light nor did America go to War against him despite him having committed the same atrocities as Sadam. So what the media decides to peddle can be based on geo-political games at play.


    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    A side point, but it was neither the first treaty nor the first constitution in history. The Ancient Greeks or even the Babylonians and Persians had them way before.
    Still I found the wikipedia article and found it interesting.
    Sorry I got it wrong . What I meant was the first written constitution was in Madinah; I am not sure it had a name but respected the rights of others to live there and also the religious minority; Human rights for all and not just one that applied to Muslims and Arabs. I have not heard of anything like it existing before its time so if the Greeks and Babylonians had one I would be interested to know about what it contained if you know of it. Maybe it did exist but there is no written record of it existing.

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    Not at all. The question is not on individuals but on the collective problem of whether millions of Muslims can coexist with radically different conceptions of society and rights without it coming to clashes.
    Islam has existed for 1400 years so why now is it's tolerance and ability to live amongst others questioned? Did Islam or Muslims start World war 1 or 2? Throw a nuclear bomb on Horoshima? Are they responsible for killing the indegenious poppulation of Australia and America? Did they enslave Millions of Africans many of whom died crossing the harsh terrains? No but in many countries the indegiouness poppulation accepted Islam without need for militiary intervention. It's because tolerance is a hallmark of Muslim Character. Thread here:
    Tolerance: A Hallmark Of Muslim Character
    Last edited by InToTheRain; 01-25-2015 at 07:06 PM.
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Ward the Pirate - Muslim Warrior of the Sea
    "Go tell the King of England, go tell him this from me,
    If he reign king of all the land, I will reign king at sea."

    The Great Dive
    Shaikh Abdul Hakim Murad aka Dr Tim Winters

  23. #19
    Scimitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    DAWAH DIGITAL HQ
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,449
    Threads
    147
    Reputation
    51364
    Rep Power
    87
    Likes (Given)
    8655
    Likes (Received)
    6251

    Re: Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    Leaving the current subject aside for a moment, I'm sure you're aware as well as I am that this is impossible.
    if that were the case, please explain why i am not allowed to speak up against the holohoax... er, i mean holocaust... you see, clear lines have already been established in an age when the Muslim mindset was not considered as worthy of being offended - thus, the world is free to coax Muslims all they want, but say a peep against the jews and the holocaust, suddenly it's not free speech anymore, it's incitement to hatred, violence and all sorts.

    Many European countries have a law where speaking up against the holohoax is a crime.

    Yet, we apply the same standard to islam's propehet and messenger, Muhammad pbuh - suddenly there are no lines.

    This hypocrisy, this double edged sword is failing as people around the world are waking up to the reality of what free speech really is and how it can be abused to incite hatred, violence and worse... we live in an age where the pen is mightier than the sword, and knowing this, you still claim the tired old argument of:

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    We live in societies where "I'm offended" counts as an argument, and in your scenario would act as a veto.
    Subjective. Of course it is. being offended on an individual basis is subjective - but when entire populations are of the same mind - then it's a different reality, and the subjective argument goes into the bin. With your educated mind, i'm sure you were already aware of this.

    Thus, my argument stands.

    Quote Originally Posted by gurufabbes View Post
    Some things that are useless and silly offend people, but no less important and truthful statements end up offending certain people all the time as well.
    You're trying to split a hair here. Problem is, you haven't made a comparable analysis.

    Let me help.

    1) if I say something to you, for example: "you're a buffoon", you may be offended... I say this to someone else, they may laugh along with me... my point is, on an individual basis, the argument is subjective.

    2) However, If I say "All Jews are the synagogue of satan" - then every single Jew would be offended - it's no longer subjective anymore, so your "subjective" argument fails in this regard.

    Bottom line bro guru, is this - we, the people, have awoken to the reality of free speech, and the underlying hypocrisy it entails in the modern vernacular. We will not accept this bastradisation of it, nor will we remain silent - but we will make our opinions known to the world in order to show solidarity; in the hope to secure better laws governing the current abuse of free speech in the western countries.

    I hope that is ok with you it certainly shouldn't offend you at the very least

    Scimi
    Last edited by Scimitar; 01-25-2015 at 07:16 PM.
    Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence


  24. Report bad ads?
  25. #20
    gurufabbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Paris, France
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Judaism
    Posts
    50
    Threads
    8
    Reputation
    26
    Rep Power
    32
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    10
    We're getting a bit into politics here, but then again this topic is political.


    it's not solely the distorted version of Islam they use that has helped them but also because of the Western Goverments meddling. I have written here about it:
    A picture that speaks more than a thousand words...
    Well this is where I wonder. I take that you're not a fan of Assad?
    If they had not become involved the West would accused of complicity, and when it does get involved it's accused of meddling. It's a no win situation.

    I suppose that your description of the types that run off to ISIS corresponds with the reports. I would add the fact that a number of converts to Islam often embrace these extreme ideas (Coualy and the murderer of Lee Rigby being examples).

    Thank you for providing the link for the Grand Mosque seizure. I remember reading about that event years ago and forgot about the details.

    Also what's more "Vocal" is dependant upon how much we are informed by those we are relying upon to inform us. For example the war crimes by Mugabe in Zimbabwe did not get much spot light nor did America go to War with them despite having commited the same attrocities as Sadam. So what the media decides peddle can be based on geo-political games at play.
    Well by vocal, I was referring to those in Europe, in the West, not just those in the Middle East. That there is an open contestation, rebirth of Islam and political religious streams amongst those who were born to the first generation of immigrants that had no such views. A countercurrent to the expectations of integration by the general indigenous population.

    Sorry I got it wrong . What I meant was the first written constitution was in Madinah; I am not sure it had a name but respected the rights of others to live there and also the religious minority; Human rights for and not just one that applied to Muslims and Arabs. I have not heard of anything like it existing before its time so if the Greeks and Babylonians had one I would be interested to know about what it contained if you know of it. Maybe it did exist but there is no written record of it existing.
    I'm not well versed in the history of politics and law.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution

    What I remember from my studies on Ancient Greece is that each city state had its own constitution and form of law. I'd have to look up what archaeological remains have been found, but the wide library of Ancient Greek writings talks about them.

    But even more remarkable is the Hammurabi Stele (in the Louvre now) is from the year 1754 BC... Amazing.
    Anyway, in short constitutions, laws, treaties go back a long time...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_Hammurabi

    Also Cyrus the Great's Cylinder talks about the restoration of religious rights.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Cylinder


    Islam has existed for 1400 years so why now is it's tolerance and ability to live amongst others questioned? Did Islam or Muslims start World war 1 or 2? Throw a nuclear bomb on Horoshima? Are they responsible for killing the indegenious poppulation of Australia and America? Did they enslave Millions of Africans many of whom died crossing the harsh terrains? No but in many countries the indegiouness poppulation accepted Islam without need for militiary intervention. It's because tolerance is a hallmark of Muslim Character. Thread here:
    Tolerance: A Hallmark Of Muslim Character
    Well, you're inviting some harsh answers here. It's not a matter of whether the West, Europe are blameless and don't have violent and bloody histories. But Islamic history for sure is not either.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquests

    But none of this relevant. It's irrelevant to the present day and it's irrelevant to what I'm saying.
    As I mentioned in a previous post, it's a matter of mass immigration and the problems of coexistence between populations that have completely different visions of the world and society. The agnostic, atheistic, liberal populations of the West and a more authoritarian (or need harsher guidance rather), religious, traditional population (which on top is ethnically and culturally different) from various parts of the world.

    From this perspective, I'm answering my own question as Islam only one part of the issue. But these two competing ideas manifest themselves in this topic:

    The average European doesn't care about drawings mocking religious figures or religions. It's all fair game. They've left religiosity behind
    The average Muslim that holds strong to his religious traditions and upbringing finds it unthinkable (feels personally attacked) and something deep inside him reasons that such actions should not be allowed, should be banned by law.

    This is the difference that events like these have brought out.
    Last edited by gurufabbes; 01-25-2015 at 08:11 PM.
    | Likes InToTheRain liked this post


  26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Scorning the Prophet goes beyond free speech – it’s an act of violence
Sign Up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create