/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Changing Names?

jmb272
07-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Alot of muslim reverts have changed their names? is this a good idea?
I would like to change my name to an Islamic name but i want to get your opinions first. I want to change my appearance and identity to reflect my beliefs so that everywhere i go people know that i am Muslim.

Has anyone here changed their names?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SixTen
07-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Just don't be tempted to change it to something like Rambo when it comes to the paperwork - I know I would be tempted :(.

jmb272
07-12-2008, 06:48 PM
hmm Rambo Terminator.. catchy.. lol

I found a list of Islamic terms/names here on this site:
http://www.convertstoislam.com/NewName/newname.html

SixTen
07-12-2008, 06:50 PM
If your happy to change you name, then go for it. Nothing negative about it (except informing your schools/banks and every other institution of it, oh and ofcourse, being added to the FBI/CIS/MI6 priority list).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jmb272
07-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Hmm what do you guys think of then name Ibrahim AbdulHaqq

Ibrahim being the original name of Abraham, the builder of the Kaaba.
AbdulHaqq meaning servant of the truth.

Re.TiReD
07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jmb272

AssalamuAlaykum

Beautiful name masha'Allah! Abdullah and Abdur-Rahmaan are also nice names.

Know that you do not have to change your name, provided your non-muslim one does not have a -ve meaning.

WassalamuAlaykum

jmb272
07-12-2008, 07:04 PM
My name right now is James Mark Bailey.. which is kinda a christian name.

I dont think its against Islam in anyway but i would like to change my name.
New faith, new name.

Mikayeel
07-12-2008, 07:05 PM
:sl:

Every muslim name is beautiful in its unique way. Ibrahim AbdulHaqq is no exception to that rule :)

My favourite male names are:

Khalid
Mikayeel
Gabriel
Athaar
raonar
Yaseen
Muhammad
Najib
Naseem

These are all forenames :) U might not like them at all :p

SixTen
07-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Oh, I like that name. Sounds so warrior'ish (goes green with envy)

.: Jannati :.
07-12-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm gonna stick with mine hehe *Smiles*

Re.TiReD
07-12-2008, 07:09 PM
My name right now is James Mark Bailey.. which is kinda a christian name.

I dont think its against Islam in anyway but i would like to change my name.
New faith, new name.
AssalamuAlaykum

Masha'Allah, the name you've chosen is fab.

May Allah (swt) bless you bro. Ameen

WassalamuAlaykum

jmb272
07-12-2008, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by raOnar

Every muslim name is beautiful in its unique way. Ibrahim AbdulHaqq is no exception to that rule :)

My favourite male names are:

Khalid
Mikayeel
Gabriel
Athaar
raonar
Yaseen
Muhammad
Najib
Naseem

These are all forenames :) U might not like them at all :p
i like the name Gabriel, after the angel. hmm Gabriel or Ibrahim. I like the name Muhammed too after the holy prophet (Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him).

Al-Zaara
07-12-2008, 07:11 PM

That sounds so beautiful, mashaAllah! You combined two really nice names. :thumbs_up

Re.TiReD
07-12-2008, 07:13 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Naming yourself after the prophet (saw) or any other prophet is cool, masha'Allah.

Also the two names most beloved to Allah (swt) are Abdullah and Abdur-Rahmaan.

All the best Akhee. What matters at the end of the day is what is in the heart.

WassalamuAlaykum

jmb272
07-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks, going to save up £34 so i can buy the Deed poll.

jmb272
07-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I think im going to go with my original choice of Ibrahim AbdulHaqq.

One thing though, the Qur'an commands us to be obidient to our parents right? Well my Dad's probably not going to like my name change, my mum should be ok with it.

chacha_jalebi
07-12-2008, 11:11 PM
subhanallah brother, ibraheem abdull haqq, is superb but

ever heard of the name Umayr, Umair? bootifull aint it :D would suit you just right aswell

abd-Allah Umayr eh eh eh? i can see that suitin you tip top :D

BlackMamba
07-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Ibraheem AbdulHaqq is a good name I would stick with it. Everyone will know ur Muslim too. Are all your friends/family gonna call you Ibraheem or your old name? Its gonna be hard for everyone to adjust

Mikayeel
07-12-2008, 11:48 PM
What about

Gabriel Ibraheem AbdulHaqq

Sounds really nice does it not? :)

Brother_Mujahid
07-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Sounds good, perhaps have people call you by the name first without changing it. If you really want to change it after sometime then that is entirely your choice.

p.s how long have you been a muslim?

Muhammad
07-13-2008, 12:16 AM
:sl: James,

Regarding the name Abdul Haqq, which is a beautiful name, I think it's important to clarify that:

Abdul means servant of
Al-Haqq is a name of Allaah

So "the Truth" here is in reference to Allaah.

And here's a little more explanation of the name:

Al-Haqq (the Truth): He is true in and of Himself and in His attributes. His existence is undeniable, and His attributes are perfect. His existence is one of His essential qualities (He cannot but exist), and nothing else can exist except through Him. He is the One Who has always been and will always be described with attributes of majesty, beauty and perfection. He has always been and will always be known for His Kindness. His words are truth; the meeting with Him is truth; His Messengers are truth; His Books are truth; His religion is the Truth; the worship of Him Alone, with no partners or associates, is the Truth; everything that has to do with Him is truth. Allaah is the Truth and whatever else they claim to be divine besides Him is false. Allaah is the Most High, the Most Great, as He says (interpretation of the meanings):

“And say: ‘The Truth is from your Lord.’ Then whosoever wills, let him believe, and whosoever wills, let him disbelieve…” [al-Isra’ 18:29].

“… So, after the truth, what else can there be, save error?…” [Yoonus 10:32]

“And say: ‘Truth has come and falsehood has vanished. Surely, falsehood is ever bound to vanish.’” [al-Isra’ 17:81]

And Allaah the Exalted Knows best.

MustafaMc
07-13-2008, 12:25 AM
I think im going to go with my original choice of Ibrahim AbdulHaqq.

One thing though, the Qur'an commands us to be obidient to our parents right? Well my Dad's probably not going to like my name change, my mum should be ok with it.
My opinion is that it is not very important to change your name. I wanted to change my name to Mustafa Abul-Rahman about 23 years ago, but I decided not to after I saw how it upset my Christian parents. I legally changed my name in 2004 after both of my parents had died. If and when you change your name, I highly recommend that you retain your family name, as I did mine, out of respect for your father.

anatolian
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Ask your parents.If they don't feel bad about that take an Islamic name.Otherwise you don't have to change your name.

But if you want, then take my name :D Enis, comes from the arabic Enes/Anas and means friend.It is also the name of the Prophet's close friend Anas bin Malik.

Mukafi7
07-18-2008, 03:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JσℓιєFℓєυя
AssalamuAlaykum

Beautiful name masha'Allah! Abdullah and Abdur-Rahmaan are also nice names.

Know that you do not have to change your name, provided your non-muslim one does not have a -ve meaning.

WassalamuAlaykum

Again, I agree with Sister Jolie Fleur. However, I would like to add that you are who you are. Your name i not any different from the color of a car. Your faith is in your heart and mind and will not b affected by your name. Rather than changing your name, lead by example and you impress people, you help your Faith and Umma.

S_87
07-18-2008, 03:41 PM
:sl: Ibrahim.

Just wanted to ask is mark your fathers name?

If so, keep your fathers name and ur surname in your name, dont change that.

and yorkshire rocks!

Islamic87
08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
I have also been looking for a muslim name today. Not for an official name change though, I think that would be disrespectful to my parents. Just as a personal expression of my commitment to Allah.

I've always really liked Mahmoud. Some others I like are Omar, Sajid (or Saajid, see different spellings of the same names sometimes). So maybe I can pick two of these, one as a first name and the other as a last name. Mahmoud Sajid I like, not something I hear too often. I'd like to know what the others here think.:)

BlackMamba
08-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Isnt JMb the dude who converted to a kafir.

coddles76
08-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Allahu Alam, But the names are beautiful anyhow regardless!
I would go with Muhammad after the prophet (PBUH)

hungry4knowhow
08-04-2008, 03:43 AM
By converted to a Kafir does he mean JMB's witness was a kafir, or JMB converted to a kafir religion which I dont think is the proper use of the word but Im just checking as I have no clue :)

BlackMamba
08-04-2008, 05:30 AM
He started out as a Kafir then he became Muslim then he became Kafir. Allah describes this type of person in the Quran
"Surely (as for) those who believe then disbelieve, again believe and again disbelieve, then increase in disbelief, Allah will not forgive them nor guide them in the (right) path." (4:137)

hungry4knowhow
08-04-2008, 05:42 AM
Ah, thank you for clearing that up brother.

arabianprincess
08-04-2008, 06:59 AM
i find it very weird.... not to be rude or anythin .. arent u the one who said u return to christ... hmmm wat happen. i dont really understand ... r u with islam .. do u completely believe in it at this point... or was that some kinda prank .................................................. salamz

p.s the name is grt. salam wa 3lykom

hungry4knowhow
08-04-2008, 07:44 AM
I just did a little board research as I wanted to know the answer to this, and it seems his last post on this topic was three weeks ago where as his last post on the forum

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...8-bye-now.html

was two weeks ago, and it says he is, "taking a break from religion..."

Only Allah and he knows what he means by that.

arabianprincess
08-04-2008, 07:56 AM
i just find it weird from his last two week thread
http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ed-christ.html.... thats all.. salam wa 3lykom

hungry4knowhow
08-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Ah sister, I did not see that. Im not sure what to say.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.