/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Religious groups condemn US embassy gay event

GuestFellow
07-04-2011, 01:29 PM
:sl:

A group of religious conservatives in Pakistan has condemned a recent event hosted by the US embassy in Islamabad in support of gay rights.

:skeleton:

Share your views....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
07-06-2011, 12:09 AM
Salaam,

What is the US actually planning? I'm aware the US requires Pakistan's assistance to set up some sort of pro-American government in Afghanistan but what will it achieve by promoting homosexuality? It is as though they want to anger the Pakistani population. I highly doubt the US foreign policy establishment have felt the sudden urge to promote human rights, especially considering the atrocities they've committed in the past....

Ramadhan
07-06-2011, 12:53 AM
:sl:

Well, I'm not surprised. The west has been exporting their cultural predisposition and lifestyles by any means to the world.
In Indonesia, foreign aid organizations such as USAID (US), AUSAID (australia), european union, DFID (UK), Goethe House (germany), Dutch government, etc has provided a lot of funds to promote events such as "queer film festival" or to gay organizations.

what else is new?
Although it will be fun to ask conservative american christians if they are ok with their tax money being used to promote homosexual lifestyles around the world.

Dagless
07-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Before reading the article I thought they were supporting the US. Those posters really need to be more clear :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Trumble
07-06-2011, 04:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Salaam,

What is the US actually planning? I'm aware the US requires Pakistan's assistance to set up some sort of pro-American government in Afghanistan but what will it achieve by promoting homosexuality? It is as though they want to anger the Pakistani population. I highly doubt the US foreign policy establishment have felt the sudden urge to promote human rights, especially considering the atrocities they've committed in the past....
The story doesn't suggest they are 'planning' (or 'exporting', or 'promoting') anything; it refers to an 'event' hosted at the US Embassy (which is, of course, US territory) that has already taken place. Not that 'promoting' equality is a bad thing, of course, and I'm sure gay people in Pakistan can do with any help and support they can muster in the face of the usual homophobia presented as religion. The usual storm in a teacup, IMHO. It seems 'religious conservatives' must always be 'outraged' about something. I guess they need it to maintain their collective identity and stay even vaguely relevant in 21st century civilized society. Personally, I think more people should be 'outraged' at the antics of religious conservatives, but there you go. Maybe people just feel sorry for them.

Ramadhan
07-06-2011, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
It seems 'religious conservatives' must always be 'outraged' about something.
Not only "religious conservatives", but most groups, including the "liberals", "atheists", "buddhists" etc are also always outraged about something.

May Ayob
07-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Salaam

I think the US Policy should leave people alone , decide the laws of their country, I don't support these rights in any way, especially not in Pakistan, I simply hope that one day every country get its freedom to decide what it wants according to it's people not from other countries whichever they might be.

I think what the religious groups did was pretty fair in my eyes, They are not very fimiliar with the norms of western standards and Pakistan is cultural based country at least I 'think' so I have nothing against the people.

Salaam

May Ayob
07-06-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm sure gay people in Pakistan can do with any help and support they can muster in the face of the usual homophobia presented as religion.

Peace be to you

I have to disagree with you in that one, Because if there were laws in Pakistan that promote or protect the right to be Homosexual and Practice homosexuality then I think that would make their life at risk and would increase the amount of suicide bombings happening in the country because now Groups like Taliban Pakistan would not care anymore who they kill because the law is generally applied to everyone and they don't know who everyone is .. so they would probably kill a massive amount of Pakistanis because they are suspicious of them being Homosexual... May be I am wrong but that what it seems to me

Peace be to you

Trumble
07-06-2011, 08:40 AM
And to you,

That's a fair point, I think. Sometimes pragmatism is necessary, if unsatisfactory. Again, though, there is no suggestion in this story I can see of any attempt to change the law in Pakistan via American influence or otherwise. Indicating support for people's rights to follow the lifestyle of their choice without persecution does not account to 'promoting' or favouring that lifestyle; indeed that's the fundamental point of the liberalism on which the US state was founded in the first place.

May Ayob
07-06-2011, 09:13 AM
indeed that's the fundamental point of the liberalism on which the US state was founded in the first place.

True but Liberalism in Pakistan is not really something that will happen very soon, I think if the Liberalism founded in the united states would also respect that sometimes in certain occasion one must respect the laws of a country.. Just as France is now demanding Muslim woman who wear the Niqaab to respect their Liberal laws .. I think it would also be fair if other western of Liberal countries did that same thing to countries that have different laws that are not similar to it's own

Peace be to you

GuestFellow
07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I guess they need it to maintain their collective identity and stay even vaguely relevant in 21st century civilized society
This is not about religious identity. Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. It is as simple as that.

Trumble
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
This is not about religious identity. Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. It is as simple as that.
Hardly. So anyone who identifies themselves as muslims should refrain from homosexual practice; fine. Non-muslims are not bound by it, any muslims who do what is forbidden presumably have to account to God at some point; and those who don't have nothing to worry about. So why 'outrage'? Why any problem at all?

The real reason, of course, it that it has nothing to do with what is forbidden by Islam or not. It's about a bunch of bigots who wish to enforce their will on others, based on their own prejudices. They can't admit it, probably even to themselves, but religion is just waved about as an excuse.

Ramadhan
07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Hardly. So anyone who identifies themselves as muslims should refrain from homosexual practice; fine. Non-muslims are not bound by it, any muslims who do what is forbidden presumably have to account to God at some point; and those who don't have nothing to worry about. So why 'outrage'? Why any problem at all?
In Islam we believe actions of individuals also affect society at large. Individuals must be discouraged from doing evil and society must not let evil done openly.

The real reason, of course, it that it has nothing to do with what is forbidden by Islam or not. It's about a bunch of bigots who wish to enforce their will on others, based on their own prejudices. They can't admit it, probably even to themselves, but religion is just waved about as an excuse.
not true. In Islam there is a principle called "amar ma'ruf, nahi munkar" meaning call/invite people to do good, and call/invite people to avoid evil doing.
homosexual lifestyle is clearly forbidden in Islam, and gay party such as staged by the US embassy in Pakistan is considered promoting evil doing, and hence needs to be stopped.
There's also a principle in Islam "if you can, stop (evil) with your own hand, if you cannot, stop it with your tongue (speak against it), and if still cannot, then curse it with your heart".

GuestFellow
07-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Criminal law applies to everyone, whether Muslim or non-Muslims. Like in the UK, criminal law applies to everyone. If non-Muslims begin to practice homosexuality openly, there will be a possibility that some Muslims will see this practice as acceptable.

No event can take place to celebrate or promote homosexuality within Islam. It is considered as a sin and these people are protesting to prevent such sins becoming acceptable.

I don't approve of any politicians trying to get in involved in other countries' domestic affairs. There are some European countries restricting Muslims from practicing Islam. France would not tolerate it if King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia told President Sarkozy to lift the veil ban and held a big event to protest against the ban in Paris. :/

Abz2000
07-06-2011, 06:04 PM
i don't know what level some of you are talking on - but since this is an Islamic forum - the emphasis would be on how Islam sees it,
and the Quran is the highest source to derive knowledge from unless there are hadith to clear it up a bit more:

The people of Lut rejected the messengers. Behold, their brother Lut said to them:
“Will ye not fear (Allah)? I am to you a messenger worthy of all trust.
So fear Allah and obey me. No reward do I ask of you for it: my reward is only from the lord of the Worlds.

Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates?

Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!”

They said: “If thou desist not, O Lut! thou wilt assuredly be cast out!”

HE SAID: “I do detest your doings.” (Surat ash-Shuara: 160-168)

and regarding trumble's comment on "bigots who want to enforce their will on others - here's an example:

We also (sent) Lut: He said to his people: “Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? For ye practise your lusts on men in preference to women : ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds.”
And his people gave no answer but this:

they said, “Drive them out of your city:

these are indeed men who want to be CLEAN AND PURE!” (Surat al-Araf: 80-82)

this can also be seen in the western media's attack on sisters who dress modestly,
they promote homosexuality, adultery, lewdness, deception and infidelity, yet HATE purity???
that in itself speaks volumes as to their intentions.

Prophet Lut's (pbuh) job was to warn them - (as it is the job of anyone who sees the truth themselves)
this is confirmed by the prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
"If one of you sees something wrong, let him change it with his hand; if he cannot, then with his tongue; if he cannot, then with his heart and this is the weakest faith." Some versions add: "there is no part of faith behind that, not even so much as a mustard seed."

and one would ask : why would they have a vested interest in promoting shamefulness and lewdness - yet hate decency?
they say marrying UPTO 4 women is un-natural - yet shoving it up the A***E of another man is inherent nature,
they also say it's ok for one to do "all sorts of things" with 100 members of the same or opposite sex on camera - sell the videos to the public - then they take at least a fifth of it in taxes - as sort of "share" or "cut", but actually MARRYING UPTO FOUR women is illegal and "oppressive"?
i don't see your logic,
maybe you should look at sarkozy's antics before you talk about enforcing your bigoted ways on others,
or maybe you'd just enjoy all the pictures of the first lady on google images, respectable.
show them to your children too if you like - but don't show them to mine.
and don't push your lewdness and decadence forcefully into my head either.
i know i sound indignant - and RIGHTFULLY SO.

Trumble
07-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Criminal law applies to everyone, whether Muslim or non-Muslims. Like in the UK, criminal law applies to everyone. If non-Muslims begin to practice homosexuality openly, there will be a possibility that some Muslims will see this practice as acceptable.
As I said, excuses. Are you seriously claiming that what two adult non-muslims happen to do in private (nobody is suggesting sex in the street) will somehow influence muslims who just happen to be in the vicinity to start doing things they know are forbidden by their religion? You are having a laugh. It's nonsensical.

I don't approve of any politicians trying to get in involved in other countries' domestic affairs. There are some European countries restricting Muslims from practicing Islam. France would not tolerate it if King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia told President Sarkozy to lift the veil ban and held a big event to protest against the ban in Paris. :/
Actually, if an analogous event were held at the Saudi embassy I very much doubt the French government, and indeed the French in general, would so much as bat an eyelid. What makes you think differently? Two wrongs don't make a right, in any event. Human rights are not subject to 'tyranny of the majority'; that is their whole purpose.

Ramadhan
07-07-2011, 02:05 AM
As I said, excuses. Are you seriously claiming that what two adult non-muslims happen to do in private (nobody is suggesting sex in the street) will somehow influence muslims who just happen to be in the vicinity to start doing things they know are forbidden by their religion? You are having a laugh. It's nonsensical.
You are grabbing strawmen and going off tangent here.
We are discussing the gay party event at the embassy, we are not talking about action of two adult non-muslims in private.
What was protested was the actual party in the embassy, who organised by people who champion freedom for having homosexual sex.
This is no difference than if the embassy had organized party for "single people who champion freedom for having extra marital sex".

Actually, if an analogous event were held at the Saudi embassy I very much doubt the French government, and indeed the French in general, would so much as bat an eyelid. What makes you think differently? Two wrongs don't make a right, in any event. Human rights are not subject to 'tyranny of the majority'; that is their whole purpose.
Would the French government like it if Saudi government starts giving funds to organizations in france to fight for having sharia implemented in France and try to influence their lawmakers to change the french law according to their ideals?

Trumble
07-07-2011, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ramadhan
You are grabbing strawmen and going off tangent here.
We are discussing the gay party event at the embassy, we are not talking about action of two adult non-muslims in private.
No, I am not. I was responding specifically to

"This is not about religious identity. Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. It is as simple as that."
not

'Gay party' events at embassies are forbidden in Islam
, or similar.

What was protested was the actual party in the embassy, who organised by people who champion freedom for having homosexual sex. This is no difference than if the embassy had organized party for "single people who champion freedom for having extra marital sex".
Indeed, no difference at all. As I have already said, though, what is being championed in either case is not a particular form of sexual activity or even way of life. It's the freedom to choose, and to live that life as long as it does not interfere with the rights of others to do the same that is being championed. In their defence, it is on that principal that the country was founded in the first place, so you can hardly accuse the Americans of inconsistency. The case presented so far suggesting homosexual activity in private does interfere with others' rights is, while commonly used, seemingly backed by no evidence whatsoever.

Would the French government like it if Saudi government starts giving funds to organizations in france to fight for having sharia implemented in France and try to influence their lawmakers to change the french law according to their ideals?
Probably not, although I'm sure there's a lot they could do to stop it. However, as such an expert on strawmen you will instantly recognise that as one, there being no suggestion the US State Department is giving anybody 'funds' in the context we are discussing. They threw a social function, end of.

Ramadhan
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
No, I am not. I was responding specifically to "This is not about religious identity. Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. It is as simple as that." not 'Gay party' events at embassies are forbidden in Islam , or similar.
Let me ask you a question: What would the government of UK do if thieves in UK start to organize themselves and fight for the right to be a thief? Would the UK government start giving money for those organizations to have "thieves party"?

Indeed, no difference at all. As I have already said, though, what is being championed in either case is not a particular form of sexual activity or even way of life. It's the freedom to choose, and to live that life as long as it does not interfere with the rights of others to do the same that is being championed. In their defence, it is on that principal that the country was founded in the first place, so you can hardly accuse the Americans of inconsistency. The case presented so far suggesting homosexual activity in private does interfere with others' rights is, while commonly used, seemingly backed by no evidence whatsoever.
I don't buy all the bs about giving freedom to choose. It's about freedom to choose when it comes to homosexuals.
Have you not heard that the practice of polygamy is illegal in all 50 states?
And you say I can hardly accuse the americans of inconsistency?
LOL. you are right, inconsistency does not even describe it.

And why the freedom to choose stops at homosexuality? and why only homosexuality is supported? what about the freedom of people who are born incestuous? Don't fathers who have incestuous tendencies have right to marry their own daughters on consentual basis?

Probably not, although I'm sure there's a lot they could do to stop it. However, as such an expert on strawmen you will instantly recognise that as one, there being no suggestion the US State Department is giving anybody 'funds' in the context we are discussing. They threw a social function, end of.
I was responding to your claim that the French government wouldnt bat an eyelid, which is not true. In Indonesia (and ,many other world countries, and I am pretty sure also in Pakistan), the US government through its aid agencies such USAID have provided funds to gay organizations to promote gay lifestyles and to push lawmakers to create specific laws that give freedom for homosexuals to practice homosexual acts.

May Ayob
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Salaam and Peace be to all

I think Homosexuality is the last thing we need to worry about in this world.
I don't know why it is taking such huge attention as it is mainly concerned with explicitive context.
Don't other Human beings need their rights too?
I mean why make such big attention to Homosexuality and the rights of Gay people while ...there are millions of people who already have no rights at all No right to live , eat , have good health and education , just as everybody else
When it comes to Gay rights I would have restrictions on what Gay rights really are because they are Human beings and to my knowledge I do not think anyone has taken any of their basic human rights the ones I mentioned before ,and I do not see why people are making such a fuss about this, I mean many people in this world are suffering from Racial and Ethnic discrimination way more than Sexual Orientation discrimination..Private matters are Private matters one who is non-Muslim and is Gay can do what ever as long as they do not publicly demonstrate it as seen in the US Embassy even

Peace be to you

GuestFellow
07-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Sorry I should make myself clear. I meant that events which promote homosexual acts may encourage Pakistani citizens to engage in such acts or to make these acts acceptable.

I would prefer to see an event organised to protect homosexual from violence. There are cases where some people commit violence against homosexuals.

I do think it is likely the French government and some French citizens would not like it if the Saudi Monarchy organised an event in Paris where they are promoting the Sharia and protesting against the veil ban.

We all have different ideas of what constitutes as human rights. Some support the death penalty while others oppose the death penalty. In criminal litigation, there are arguments about how much powers the police should have and how long suspects should be detained without seeking legal advice. These issues must be dealt with by the public living in that country, not by foreign forces.

Trumble
07-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Let me ask you a question: What would the government of UK do if thieves in UK start to organize themselves and fight for the right to be a thief? Would the UK government start giving money for those organizations to have "thieves party"?
:rollseyes As I said

as long as it does not interfere with the rights of others
Obviously thieves do interfere with such rights, as they steal from the general public and not from other 'consenting thieves'!

I don't buy all the bs about giving freedom to choose. It's about freedom to choose when it comes to homosexuals.
Whether you 'buy' it or not, it's the principal political philosophy behind all liberal-democratic governments, although obviously the extent to which it is actually observed can differ. This event was about that particular choice, but it would be absurd to claim the US and other countries do not follow the same approach in relation to political views, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, or whatever. All of those, at one time or another, have been discussed with the Pakistani government in rather stronger ways than throwing a party.

Have you not heard that the practice of polygamy is illegal in all 50 states?
And you say I can hardly accuse the americans of inconsistency?
LOL. you are right, inconsistency does not even describe it.
Not being American I hadn't heard it, no, but it doesn't surprise me. Fair point, though... I would agree that is certainly inconsistent, as indeed is gay 'marriage' being legal in some states and not in others.

And why the freedom to choose stops at homosexuality? and why only homosexuality is supported? what about the freedom of people who are born incestuous? Don't fathers who have incestuous tendencies have right to marry their own daughters on consentual basis?
It neither stops nor starts there, the principle relating to all aspects of life, not just relationships. The essential distinction is not consent, but the potential for either compromising the rights of others to live as they choose, or doing real harm to individuals or society - by 'real' I am excluding such things as merely causing 'offence' or hurting 'sensibilities', religious in origin or otherwise. In the case of incest I would argue even the adult child is extremely unlikely to ever be able to make an autonymous and informed choice anyway, but regardless incest has highly damaging consequences socially and, potentially, biologically.

]I was responding to your claim that the French government wouldnt bat an eyelid, which is not true. In Indonesia (and ,many other world countries, and I am pretty sure also in Pakistan), the US government through its aid agencies such USAID have provided funds to gay organizations to promote gay lifestyles and to push lawmakers to create specific laws that give freedom for homosexuals to practice homosexual acts.
Produce some evidence that the US government has provided funds for those purposes and I'll be happy to discuss it further.

Ramadhan
07-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Obviously thieves do interfere with such rights, as they steal from the general public and not from other 'consenting thieves'!
You missed the point. In Islam, homosexual sex is among the most grievous sins and a crime. Theft is also a sin and a crime. no difference. Pakistan is an Islamic country with much of their law and customs based on Islam. For a group of homosexuals to form organizations and parties amount to advertising and make their sins public.
In UK obviously homosexual acts is neither sin nor a crime but theft is a crime, so I wanted to drive home the point to you by giving you a simple analogy that I was hoping you'd understand.

Not being American I hadn't heard it, no, but it doesn't surprise me. Fair point, though... I would agree that is certainly inconsistent, as indeed is gay 'marriage' being legal in some states and not in others.
It is not only inconsistent, but hypocrisy to the highest degree, not to mention that the law on "freedom to choose" in the US is made on arbitrary basis. More hypocrisy: in the US, many proponents of same-sex marriage are also in favour of maintaining current statutory prohibitions against polygamy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygamy
Oh, news flash to you: Polygamy is also illegal in the UK, your own country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_status_of_polygamy
I would be surprised if you cannot even smell the injustice and hypocrisy which is so thick in your own backyard.

It neither stops nor starts there, the principle relating to all aspects of life, not just relationships. The essential distinction is not consent, but the potential for either compromising the rights of others to live as they choose, or doing real harm to individuals or society - by 'real' I am excluding such things as merely causing 'offence' or hurting 'sensibilities', religious in origin or otherwise. In the case of incest I would argue even the adult child is extremely unlikely to ever be able to make an autonymous and informed choice anyway, but regardless incest has highly damaging consequences socially and, potentially, biologically.
Funny, I always heard supporters of homosexual lifestyles say that the most important thing is that they are "consenting adults", that's the mantra that has always been repeated to justify homosexual sex, even if it destroys individuals and families.
If you agree that homosexual sex and even homosexual marriage do not damage individuals and society, how can you say that consenting incestuous relationships damage or harm individual and society? In what way they are different?
Say, the consenting father- adult daughter agree not to have a child, how would it damage biologically?
and talking about physical and psychological medical and health consequences (and hence the much increased burdens on society for much larger health costs), surely homosexual sex and relations are much worse than normal marriage and families?

In the past, even in western countries, homosexual relations was something that was taboo, illegal, damaging to individuals and society, etc, but thanks to "education" that brainwash the masses that homosexual relations is ok and need to be accepted, it has now become a norm, hell even homosexual relations are now blessed in churches by pastors.
Maybe the masses need also education that incestuous sex is ok and need to be accepted? Do you not think the society is still backward and need to be educated on the issue of incest and it is ok as long as it is between consenting adults who are aware that they make informed choice under no due or undue pressure?

Produce some evidence that the US government has provided funds for those purposes and I'll be happy to discuss it further.
FYI, I have worked with various foreign donor agencies and I can tell you that much of the fundings are used to finance projects mostly indirectly through local organizations which are clearly against the local religious and/or society values and the prevailing laws). Here's a few snippets example:
http://spiritia.or.id/Dok/Pemberdayaan.pdf (spiritia is funded by USAID, among foreign donors)
http://aruspelangi.pbworks.com/w/page/9723216/FrontPage (yayasan arus pelangi is funded by HIVOS - dutch government aid agency, Ford Foundation and Tifa Foundation who in turn funded by USAID - they are fighting for political recognitions for gays and lesbians)
http://www.globalgayz.com/country/In...d-reports-2010Queer Film Festival - The festival works closely with a number of foreign governmental or government-linked groups including Goethe Institute (Germany), Erasmus Huis (Dutch Cultural Centre), Central Culture Francaise (France), Japan Foundation and AusAID (Australia) and is mainly funded by Holland-based Hivos (Humanist Institute for Development Cooperation).
Also, USAID funded key and most important "liberal islam" organizations who champion homosexual equalities, such as
Jaringan Islam Liberal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaringan_Islam_Liberal
Wahid Institute http://www.wahidinstitute.org/
I personally know many people in those organizations, and I can attest that many do not even pray, let alone 5 times a day, and they are only using the name of Islam (funded directly and indirectly by foreign donors) to try change the country's regulations on many social issues that conform to western ideals (including gay marriage) and they are fighting for the secularisation of Indonesia.
Also read this (page 18-20 where it's stated USAID is the primary donors for such organizations)
http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/akad...rlin/05660.pdf
Also, this is old news, and even coming from washingtonpost -one of the bastions of zionist media: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2402279_2.html
The report says that the USA is now backing out from meddling in the country's religious affairs, but the opposite is true: organizations such as JIL and wahid institute are still receiving funds from US aid agencies.

Now, can you imagine the reaction of UK government or UK public if Saudi government sponsor and fund organizations and projects in the UK that promote sharia and try to change legislation to implement sharia in UK?

Your turn.

Karl
07-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Homosexuality is promoted by Zionists to lower the population of the Gentiles. It is an Antichrist agenda to destroy nations with this Satanic global social engineering. Also anti nationalism, feminism and miscegenation are also promoted by Zionists to degrade the Goyim. Why do the mainstream metrosexual new age liberal lefty Westerners hate Islam so much? Because they are evil hypocrites and Godless fascists.

Just_A_Girl13
07-09-2011, 06:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Karl
Why do the mainstream metrosexual new age liberal lefty Westerners hate Islam so much? Because they are evil hypocrites and Godless fascists.
I think that's a bit extreme, brother. I'm from the US and I consider myself quite liberal. I have seen no evidence of hatred for Islam in the United States except from the right-wing Christian extremists who repeatedly claim that Islam is "the devil's religion" and that all Muslims are terrorists. Please correct me if I misunderstood your meaning.

Peace and blessings be with you :)

Trumble
07-09-2011, 06:54 AM

You missed the point. In Islam, homosexual sex is among the most grievous sins and a crime. Theft is also a sin and a crime. no difference. Pakistan is an Islamic country with much of their law and customs based on Islam. For a group of homosexuals to form organizations and parties amount to advertising and make their sins public.
In UK obviously homosexual acts is neither sin nor a crime but theft is a crime, so I wanted to drive home the point to you by giving you a simple analogy that I was hoping you'd understand.
I haven't missed anything. You have introduced the idea that in an 'Islamic country', the requirements of that religion should trump the (liberal) rights of all citizens whether followers of that religion or not. Your analogy is only such if you accept that. I don't, of course, hence as far as my argument goes it is no analogy at all.

I would be surprised if you cannot even smell the injustice and hypocrisy which is so thick in your own backyard.
There are worse injustices and hypocrises in my backyard, as there are in yours. Not being able to wave my magic wand and spinkle pixie dust to instantly remove them I am, however, arguing a normative position. In other words, two wrongs don't make a right and churning out what is no more than an extended ad hominem does not make an argument.

Funny, I always heard supporters of homosexual lifestyles say that the most important thing is that they are "consenting adults", that's the mantra that has always been repeated to justify homosexual sex, even if it destroys individuals and families.
I am hardly responsible for what you may have heard. Perhaps your confusion, though, is result of your continuing inability to distinguish between supporting or promoting a particular lifestyle, and supporting the freedom to choose and live it, or any alternative, that doesn't infringe the same right of others.

If you agree that homosexual sex and even homosexual marriage do not damage individuals and society, how can you say that consenting incestuous relationships damage or harm individual and society? In what way they are different?
I would have thought that blindingly obvious. In the case of incest a family bond of the strongest kind already exists between the people involved, not to mention the network of that relationship with other family relationships. Disruption and disfunctionality are inevitable. However, a gay 'marriage' is no different from a straight one in that those involved have no familial connection prior to the event.

and talking about physical and psychological medical and health consequences (and hence the much increased burdens on society for much larger health costs), surely homosexual sex and relations are much worse than normal marriage and families?
I've no idea what 'psychological' consequences you have in mind, but I very much doubt they are more frequent or expensive than those concerning people forced to repress their sexuality. As to physical illness first you need to compare like with like, either homosexual 'sex and relations' and heterosexual 'sex and relations', or homosexual 'marriage' and straight marriage (or other monogamous relationship). Certainly, there is an increased risk with gay sex in casual relationships, but additional costs might result from any casual relationships. The argument leads nowhere as ultimately, in order to remain consistent, it would result in banning any activity that involved any element of medical risk, sexual in nature or not. I assume you aren't talking about the obvious lack of children in gay relationships; with the population of the world still increasing exponentially despite all that gay promoting 'education' and brainwashing going on that would hardly seem to present a problem. Indeed, many would see it as a plus!

Do you not think the society is still backward and need to be educated on the issue of incest and it is ok as long as it is between consenting adults who are aware that they make informed choice under no due or undue pressure?
No, I don't think that for reasons I hope I have made clear. I do think that, incidently, regarding polygamy within certain religious groups.

FYI, I have worked with various foreign donor agencies and I can tell you that much of the fundings are used to finance projects mostly indirectly through local organizations which are clearly against the local religious and/or society values and the prevailing laws). Here's a few snippets example:
You are just confirming my point. Most of those are concerned with advocating liberal values in general. I can't see evidence any of them receive money from the US State Department for the specific purpose of 'promoting' homosexual lifestyles.

Now, can you imagine the reaction of UK government or UK public if Saudi government sponsor and fund organizations and projects in the UK that promote sharia and try to change legislation to implement sharia in UK?
Honestly, there wouldn't be one, or at least one worth talking about. I can only assure you that we wouldn't have a problem; indeed there already are such organizations although I have no idea who funds them. They could 'promote' all they like, and people will listen or not, but legislation can be enacted only by Parliament which is elected by the people. Any such measure would therefore require the support of the people or bribery on such a scale it would make the recent expenses scandal look like shoplifting a Mars Bar from the confectionary store. There are plenty of groups who advocate things the government don't like who are financed from abroad. Perhaps the classic example in the past was that of Irish Republicans, but the issue there was not advocating Republicanism with the help of foreign money but doing so with bombs and assault rifles. Ditto in this instance, unless the funded 'promotion' was violent in nature nobody would care.

Your turn.
We are never going to agree on this, not because of missing points, not understanding, or overly complex analogies, but simply because we are on opposite sides of the liberal/communitarian divide. You prioritize culture, religion and nationality over liberal rights while I do the reverse. Both are defensible positions, but never the twain will meet as they say - at the extremes, anyway.

Karl
07-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Salam
Well, the West being at War with Muslim nations and bombing them to bits would be a sign of hatred but maybe I'm wrong.
There might be a few rancourous Christians, yes, but the internet is full of athiest, Zionists, socialists, Marxists etc who make many more scathing attacks against Islam and the Prophet (PBUH) than Christians, from what I have observed.

Just_A_Girl13
07-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Salaam,

Well, the West being at War with Muslim nations and bombing them to bits would be a sign of hatred but maybe I'm wrong.
That's a fair point, however, the war is hardly the fault of the liberals alone.

There might be a few rancourous Christians, yes, but the internet is full of athiest, Zionists, socialists, Marxists etc who make many more scathing attacks against Islam and the Prophet (PBUH) than Christians, from what I have observed.
The internet is also full of misguided people who haven't the slightest idea what they're talking about. It's not their fault that they have not been properly introduced to Islam. Rather than insulting them and the group to which they belong as a whole, we should pray that Allah (s.w.t.) will guide them to the truth.

Peace

Pygoscelis
07-09-2011, 07:52 PM
There might be a few rancourous Christians, yes, but the internet is full of athiest, Zionists, socialists, Marxists etc who make many more scathing attacks against Islam and the Prophet (PBUH) than Christians
With the exception of zionists, who are the most rabidly anti-muslim people I've met, I've actually met a lot more Christians who hated muslims and called them all terrorists etc than any other group. This has suprised me given how much Islam and Christianity have in common. It would make sense for atheists, hindus, etc (who truly are different) to have more distaste of Islam but this just hasn't been w hat I've found. Maybe it is because of the internet forums I've visited though. Stop by "Paltalk" sometime and you'll see hundreds of rabid anti-muslim christians. And by rabid I mean mouth foaming screaming at the top of their lungs types.

FS123
07-10-2011, 12:28 AM
First, they first look in their own country, there are states that ban gay unions.

Second, they don't have the right to meddle into laws of another country.

FS123
07-10-2011, 12:38 AM
I would have thought that blindingly obvious. In the case of incest a family bond of the strongest kind already exists between the people involved, not to mention the network of that relationship with other family relationships.
That is some arbitrary argument, if it is between two consulting adults then they shouldn't have any restrictions, it doesn't affect anybody as for their family they know better, from the pov of personal liberty. Same goes for polygamy. It depends on opinion, imagine some other country does the same in US or UK which is against the law, because they don't share the same opinion.

Ramadhan
07-10-2011, 07:11 AM
I haven't missed anything. You have introduced the idea that in an 'Islamic country', the requirements of that religion should trump the (liberal) rights of all citizens whether followers of that religion or not. Your analogy is only such if you accept that. I don't, of course, hence as far as my argument goes it is no analogy at all.
My analogy of the thieves association in the UK was a response to your statements:

Indicating support for people's rights to follow the lifestyle of their choice without persecution does not account to 'promoting' or favouring that lifestyle;
Non-muslims are not bound by it, any muslims who do what is forbidden presumably have to account to God at some point
As I said, excuses. Are you seriously claiming that what two adult non-muslims happen to do in private (nobody is suggesting sex in the street) will somehow influence muslims who just happen to be in the vicinity to start doing things they know are forbidden by their religion?
The case presented so far suggesting homosexual activity in private does interfere with others' rights is, while commonly used, seemingly backed by no evidence whatsoever.
Let's go back a few steps:
1. Homosexuality acts is a crime in pakistan, and people who openly declare they are homosexuals either perform homosexual acts or support the freedom to perform them.
2. Theft is a crime in the UK, and people who openly declare they are thieves either perform thefts or support the freedom to perform them.

Whether you disagree that homosexuality acts itself is not a crime is another point and another discussion. Homosexuality act is a crime in Pakistan, and that is fact. There are many acts considered crimes in other countries but not crime in the UK, and vice versa, there are many acts considered crime in the UK but not in other countries.
You can replace thieves analogy with any other crimes and criminals in the UK if you are displeased with the thieves one.

There are worse injustices and hypocrises in my backyard, as there are in yours.
It is interesting point to note that when the table is turned, you wave your hand at it and claim like it's nothing worth discussion.

Not being able to wave my magic wand and spinkle pixie dust to instantly remove them I am, however, arguing a normative position. In other words, two wrongs don't make a right and churning out what is no more than an extended ad hominem does not make an argument.
I was pointing out at polygamy because it is very significant evidence in the arbitrariness of your claim of "freedom to choose"
In ALL western countries that legalize homosexuality, polygamy is illegal.
It is not isolated cases, and it is evident that it is systematic.

I am hardly responsible for what you may have heard. Perhaps your confusion, though, is result of your continuing inability to distinguish between supporting or promoting a particular lifestyle, and supporting the freedom to choose and live it, or any alternative, that doesn't infringe the same right of others.
As I said again and again, homosexuality is a crime in Islam, thus it does not make sense for a muslim to support the freedom to do crimes. At least you cannot accuse a muslim of inconsistency :) Whether you don't believe homosexuality is not a crime is different matter.
On the other hand, I can point out the inconsistencies and hypocrisy to the highest degree to those who champion "freedom to choose" but ban and criminalize polygamy :)

I would have thought that blindingly obvious. In the case of incest a family bond of the strongest kind already exists between the people involved, not to mention the network of that relationship with other family relationships. Disruption and disfunctionality are inevitable. However, a gay 'marriage' is no different from a straight one in that those involved have no familial connection prior to the event.
Isn't that your own prejudice?
How do you know incest would disrupt familial relationships? In fact, the incestuous relationships would even make their bond stronger.
Say, there is loving relation between a brother and a sister and their parents approve, what make you deny their right to get marry?
It seems you are being arbitrary here, using one standard for homosexuals, and different one for incest couples.

I've no idea what 'psychological' consequences you have in mind, but I very much doubt they are more frequent or expensive than those concerning people forced to repress their sexuality.
Were there many more psychological illnesses in the old days of "gay" people who were repressed and got married, compared to todays where people are free to choose whatever lifestyles they prefer?

As to physical illness first you need to compare like with like, either homosexual 'sex and relations' and heterosexual 'sex and relations', or homosexual 'marriage' and straight marriage (or other monogamous relationship)
Yes, I'd like to know if such data are available. My guess is there are more physical illnesses among "homosexual marriages" than in heterosexual marriages. There would be some obvious ones, such as: breast cancer, hemorrhoids, etc.

Certainly, there is an increased risk with gay sex in casual relationships, but additional costs might result from any casual relationships. The argument leads nowhere as ultimately, in order to remain consistent, it would result in banning any activity that involved any element of medical risk, sexual in nature or not.
Alhamdulillah, casual sex is also a crime in Islam :)
Islam has complete guidelines on how to life live, for individual and society.

I assume you aren't talking about the obvious lack of children in gay relationships; with the population of the world still increasing exponentially despite all that gay promoting 'education' and brainwashing going on that would hardly seem to present a problem. Indeed, many would see it as a plus!
The promotion of gay lifestyle is still very new, homosexuality only started to get accepted in the west after the "sexual revolution" in the 60s and 70s. Even gay education is still very new in the west, only in the past two decades or so.
And you need to be factual and accurate: the population of the world is NOT increasing exponentially.
Globally, the growth rate of the human population has been declining since peaking in 1962 and 1963 at 2.20% per annum. In 2009, the estimated annual growth rate was 1.1%. The actual annual growth in the number of humans fell from its peak of 88.0 million in 1989, to a low of 73.9 million in 2003, after which it rose again to 75.2 million in 2006. Since then, annual growth has declined. In 2009, the human population increased by 74.6 million, which is projected to fall steadily to about 41 million per annum in 2050, at which time the population will have increased to about 9.2 billion.

No, I don't think that for reasons I hope I have made clear. I do think that, incidently, regarding polygamy within certain religious groups.
Actually, you have only made clear of your prejudices towards those who want to practice incestuous relationships, and you have not made yourself clear regarding polygamy.

You are just confirming my point. Most of those are concerned with advocating liberal values in general. I can't see evidence any of them receive money from the US State Department for the specific purpose of 'promoting' homosexual lifestyles.
Actually, I have made clear that Q-munity, Arus Pelangi, Spiritia and Gaya Nusantara are gay organizations in Indonesia, they are not just advocating liberal values, but they are working towards legal equal rights for homosexuals in Indonesia as well as organizing events and programs designed to promote homosexual lifestyles. Also, I have shown that these gay groups, along with many other gay groups in Indonesia have received funds directly or indirectly from USAID.
And because you didn't seem to read the links I have provided, USAID is an arm of US State Department.

Honestly, there wouldn't be one, or at least one worth talking about. I can only assure you that we wouldn't have a problem; indeed there already are such organizations although I have no idea who funds them
Actually, there were already organizations trying to fight for the implementations of sharia law, but they were labelled "terrorist organizations". You may not have problem, but your government and many of your countrymen certainly do.

We are never going to agree on this, not because of missing points, not understanding, or overly complex analogies, but simply because we are on opposite sides of the liberal/communitarian divide. You prioritize culture, religion and nationality over liberal rights while I do the reverse. Both are defensible positions, but never the twain will meet as they say - at the extremes, anyway.
I am not sure what do you mean by I prioritize culture and nationality? I do prioritize religion, however.

May Ayob
07-10-2011, 07:26 AM
As to physical illness first you need to compare like with like, either homosexual 'sex and relations' and heterosexual 'sex and relations', or homosexual 'marriage' and straight marriage (or other monogamous relationship).

Peace be to you

You do acknowledge that we only have AIDS/HIV in our planet because of Homosexuality? Atleast from my knowledge when it appeared it appeared on a Gay couple. I do not think it is safe to risk my life in order to express my "sexuality" ...
Didn't mean to offend you

Peace be to you

Trumble
07-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Let's go back a few steps:
1. Homosexuality acts is a crime in pakistan, and people who openly declare they are homosexuals either perform homosexual acts or support the freedom to perform them.
2. Theft is a crime in the UK, and people who openly declare they are thieves either perform thefts or support the freedom to perform them.
'Back a few steps' to where? Why not actually respond to what I said? MY point about the distinction was quite clear and has nothing to do with what is illegal where. Please read it again. If you don't understand, just ask.

Whether you disagree that homosexuality acts itself is not a crime is another point and another discussion.
Of course I disagree.. so what the heck was the point of the last paragraph?

You can replace thieves analogy with any other crimes and criminals in the UK if you are displeased with the thieves one.
No, I can't for reasons I am getting sick of having to repeat.

I was pointing out at polygamy because it is very significant evidence in the arbitrariness of your claim of "freedom to choose"
In ALL western countries that legalize homosexuality, polygamy is illegal.
It is not isolated cases, and it is evident that it is systematic.
Did I ever claim it wasn't? Again, you are arguing against a position other than mine; I have already agreed with you that that is hypocritical. If you don't understand what the word 'normative' means, please go look it up. The principle is not 'arbitrary', it is absolute. Practice, as always, is rather different. See below.

As I said again and again, homosexuality is a crime in Islam, thus it does not make sense for a muslim to support the freedom to do crimes. At least you cannot accuse a muslim of inconsistency :)
As far as I am aware I haven't. Surely the distinction between principle and practice is equally clear though, if not more so - just because things are 'crimes in Islam' doesn't prevent many muslims from doing them on occasion!

It seems you are being arbitrary here, using one standard for homosexuals, and different one for incest couples.
Yet again, I have made the distinction clear previously, so if it still 'seems' that way to you there's no a lot I can do. If you seriously wish to contend that incest does not damage family relationships, feel free to produce your evidence. It is, on the other hand, no problem whatsoever to demonstrate that in regard of homosexuality as no family relationship is involved. Unless, of course, it is one that would not have occured had those involved not been forced to repress their sexuality in the first place.

Were there many more psychological illnesses in the old days of "gay" people who were repressed and got married, compared to todays where people are free to choose whatever lifestyles they prefer?
Undoubtably, if the diagnoses were compared on a like by like basis. They weren't, of course, as any survey of the numbers of diagnoses of psychiatric illnesses, particularly for depression, will tell you. Whatever the cause, it was usually 'shut up and just get on with it' with many totally dehabilitating problems not even recognised.

Let me ask you a question for a change. Imagine that, due to social convention you, a heterosexual, are forced into 'marriage' and an extended sexual relationship with another man. Would you consider yourself at increased risk of psychological illness or no?. I don't share your homophobia, but I certainly would!

The promotion of gay lifestyle is still very new, homosexuality only started to get accepted in the west after the "sexual revolution" in the 60s and 70s. Even gay education is still very new in the west, only in the past two decades or so.
Living in the West I have never encountered any 'promotion' of gay lifestyles, or 'gay education', whatever that is. What has appeared in those years is acceptance and tolerance. That does not equate to 'promoting'.

And you need to be factual and accurate: the population of the world is NOT increasing exponentially.
True, mathematically, although I really can't see the relevance of this particular bit of nit-picking. Let's just say it's still increasing very fast - or at least I would call something like a 50% increase over the next 40 years or so 'very fast'. If you are seriously suggesting 'promotion' of gay lifestyles and 'gay education' are likely to bring this trend to a screeching halt and throw it into reverse, ultimately threatening the existence of the species, please make that explicit so I can have a good laugh. Otherwise, well.. perhaps you something to add that is actually relevant?

Actually, you have only made clear of your prejudices towards those who want to practice incestuous relationships, and you have not made yourself clear regarding polygamy.
Trying actually reading what I posted. Please?

Actually, I have made clear that Q-munity, Arus Pelangi, Spiritia and Gaya Nusantara are gay organizations in Indonesia, they are not just advocating liberal values, but they are working towards legal equal rights for homosexuals in Indonesia as well as organizing events and programs designed to promote homosexual lifestyles. Also, I have shown that these gay groups, along with many other gay groups in Indonesia have received funds directly or indirectly from USAID.
Actually, you have done no such thing. Why should they not work towards that, as long as doing so is not illegal? People in all countries campaign to change particular laws using legal means. And yet again you seem thopelessly confused between advocating tolerance and acceptance and 'promotion'. I have read as much as time permitted; 'indirectly' is of course an irrelevance, but if you can actually produce a few quotes showing that any of them received funds from USAID for the specific purpose of promoting gay lifestyles, as you have claimed, I would be grateful.

Actually, there were already organizations trying to fight for the implementations of sharia law, but they were labelled "terrorist organizations". You may not have problem, but your government and many of your countrymen certainly do.
You might benefit from a basic logic course at some point if you have the time. Just because all X are Y does not entail all Y are X!

Some groups and organizations considered security risks (or 'labelled as terrorists' if you prefer) advocate introducing Sharia law in Britain and indeed everywhere else. I would have thought that was probably the default position for any self-respecting bunch of Islamicist terrorists? That does not, though, mean all groups who advocate the introduction of Sharia law are terrorists, and unless you can produce some I am unaware of any evidence that anyone has been catagorized as a terrorist on that basis.

I am not sure what do you mean by I prioritize culture and nationality? I do prioritize religion, however.
My bad; generally homophobia is as much a cultural phenomenon as a religious one, although the two are obviously connected, and I shouldn't have extended that to yourself. I'm happy to accept your personal prejudice is based solely on religious grounds. We are unlikely to ever agree whether or not that justifies such a prejudice.

Trumble
07-10-2011, 08:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by May Ayob
You do acknowledge that we only have AIDS/HIV in our planet because of Homosexuality?
Of course I don't acknowledge it, it's complete nonsense.

HIV/AIDS was first recognised as a disease within the gay community in the US (probably originating from a single source), but it originated in Africa where it probably made the jump to man from other primates (eating 'bushmeat' is one speculation). On retrospective examination of medical records several earlier cases were identified as almost certainly being the result of HIV, with no homosexual connections or implications, and there were no doubt many more where the ultimate catalyst of the disease that actually killed the patients went unrecognised.

There are details HERE

May Ayob
07-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Of course I don't acknowledge it, it's complete nonsense. HIV/AIDS was first recognised as a disease within the gay community in the US (probably originating from a single source), but it originated in Africa where it probably made the jump to man from other primates (eating 'bushmeat' is one speculation). On retrospective examination of medical records several earlier cases were identified as almost certainly being the result of HIV, with no homosexual connections or implications, and there were no doubt many more where the ultimate catalyst of the disease that actually killed the patients went unrecognised.

Peace be to you
I have nothing to say, infact we are all free to think what we want so this will be insha'Allah my last post here.
Peace be to you

Ramadhan
07-10-2011, 03:33 PM
'Back a few steps' to where? Why not actually respond to what I said? MY point about the distinction was quite clear and has nothing to do with what is illegal where. Please read it again. If you don't understand, just ask.
Here's what you wrote as you were arguing that it is acceptable that US embassy held events to supports homosexuality:
Not that 'promoting' equality is a bad thing, of course, and I'm sure gay people in Pakistan can do with any help and support they can muster in the face of the usual homophobia presented as religion.
Indicating support for people's rights to follow the lifestyle of their choice without persecution does not account to 'promoting' or favouring that lifestyle;
You also questioned:
So why 'outrage'? Why any problem at all?
And as I have already explained, in Pakistan, homosexual acts are a crime, and hence not ok for anyone, let alone foreign countries to give their support for a crime, regardless whether homosexual act should not be made a crime. and hence the analogy to answer your question
So why 'outrage'? Why any problem at all?
And what you think as "promoting equality", in the eyes of muslim it is "promoting crime", and it is a bad thing.
What the homosexuals do privately are their own business, but as soon as they advertise their identities, and hence made their crimes public, it comes into the sphere of law. Same thing goes with thieves.

Of course I disagree.. so what the heck was the point of the last paragraph?
Which last paragraph?

No, I can't for reasons I am getting sick of having to repeat.
You contended that it is ok to publicly give support to homosexuals in Pakistan and you couldn't understand why it is not ok, and I gave the analogy to make you understand.

Did I ever claim it wasn't? Again, you are arguing against a position other than mine; I have already agreed with you that that is hypocritical. If you don't understand what the word 'normative' means, please go look it up. The principle is not 'arbitrary', it is absolute. Practice, as always, is rather different. See below.
The principle that the west use is arbitrary, as they regard homosexuals deserve to have freedom to choose, but not other groups such as those who practice polygamy relationships. If it were only a matter of practice, we would have some variations of legality of polygamy practices among those western countries. It's not just the practices, it's the LAW of those nation, which is the highest principles of the land.
Also, my example of polygamy has disproved your notion that :
In their defence, it is on that principal that the country was founded in the first place, so you can hardly accuse the Americans of inconsistency.
As far as I am aware I haven't. Surely the distinction between principle and practice is equally clear though, if not more so - just because things are 'crimes in Islam' doesn't prevent many muslims from doing them on occasion!
Yep, I agree that many muslims do acts considered crimes in Islam, but The LAW in Islam does not vary and change at will or arbitrary as the source does not change.

Yet again, I have made the distinction clear previously, so if it still 'seems' that way to you there's no a lot I can do. If you seriously wish to contend that incest does not damage family relationships, feel free to produce your evidence. It is, on the other hand, no problem whatsoever to demonstrate that in regard of homosexuality as no family relationship is involved. Unless, of course, it is one that would not have occurred had those involved not been forced to repress their sexuality in the first place
actually, the burden is on you to prove that incest damage family relationships.
From normative position, incest is not damaging and should be afforded with the same right as the people who practice incestuous relationships do not "infringe on other people's rights", which is your argument for supporting homosexuality.
I wished you don't keep shifting your argument though.

Undoubtedly, if the diagnoses were compared on a like by like basis.
undoubtedly? Please give your evidence.
if there is no evidence or study, then it's all hogwash. I thought as an atheist you would be disgusted with any idea without material evidence?

Let me ask you a question for a change. Imagine that, due to social convention you, a heterosexual, are forced into 'marriage' and an extended sexual relationship with another man. Would you consider yourself at increased risk of psychological illness or no?
There is no proof or evidence that homosexual is genetic, and there is all evidence that people were born heterosexual, so that is the normative position.

Living in the West I have never encountered any 'promotion' of gay lifestyles, or 'gay education', whatever that is. What has appeared in those years is acceptance and tolerance. That does not equate to 'promoting'.
What city do you live in? If you happen to live in London, you'll all those pride parades where the homosexuals promoting their sexual lifestyles, in all kinds of forms and lewdness for all the world to see. I would think as a buddhist, this should be against the teaching of Buddha, no?
Also, children education books now should include gay characters etc. You may not see all those as "promotion", because people in the west have been numb.
Interestingly, the natural population growth in all western countries has been in constant decline since the sexual revolution.

True, mathematically, although I really can't see the relevance of this particular bit of nit-picking. Let's just say it's still increasing very fast - or at least I would call something like a 50% increase over the next 40 years or so 'very fast'. If you are seriously suggesting 'promotion' of gay lifestyles and 'gay education' are likely to bring this trend to a screeching halt and throw it into reverse, ultimately threatening the existence of the species, please make that explicit so I can have a good laugh. Otherwise, well.. perhaps you something to add that is actually relevant?
UH, you were the one who brought up about impacts of gays on population, not me. I was just pointing out your inaccuracy. Again, no straw men.

Trying actually reading what I posted. Please?
You have posted in other threads about homosexuality what you think of people who think there should be no rights for homosexuals. I'm too lazy to look up.
But in this thread, you have argued that homosexuals should be allowed and supported on the principle of "freedom to choose" and "does not infringe on other people's rights to do the same", so what is your excuse for not allowing incestuous relationships?

Actually, you have done no such thing. Why should they not work towards that, as long as doing so is not illegal? People in all countries campaign to change particular laws using legal means. And yet again you seem thopelessly confused between advocating tolerance and acceptance and 'promotion'. I have read as much as time permitted; 'indirectly' is of course an irrelevance, but if you can actually produce a few quotes showing that any of them received funds from USAID for the specific purpose of promoting gay lifestyles, as you have claimed, I would be grateful.
I have already provided you with the documents including their websites such as http://gaya-nusantara.blogspot.com/2...oundation.html
Also, Indonesian gay and lesbian network is funded directly by USAID, you can see it here: http://www.gwl-ina.org/
And GWL INA has many programs that promote homosexual lifestyles. Certainly if USAID didn't approve of their programs, they wouldnt have funded it, correct?
so you consider "indirectly" is an irrelevance?
OK, I will remember this particular stance of yours in later and other discussions. For me, "indirect" holds much relevance, especially in country like Indonesia where USAID is careful about american image, so for sensitive issues such as religion affairs where they still want to meddle, they don't fund programs directly, but they indirectly fund programs created by organizations through their projects.
So State Department use american taxpayers money to promote a particular sexual lifestyle.

Some groups and organizations considered security risks (or 'labelled as terrorists' if you prefer) advocate introducing Sharia law in Britain and indeed everywhere else. I would have thought that was probably the default position for any self-respecting bunch of Islamicist terrorists? That does not, though, mean all groups who advocate the introduction of Sharia law are terrorists, and unless you can produce some I am unaware of any evidence that anyone has been catagorized as a terrorist on that basis.
Are you that naive that you really do not understand islamophobia that permeates US government and citizens?
Even Charles Schumer (Democrats senator from NY) has labelled the very mild CAIR (The Council on American-Islamic Relations) has ties to terrorists. Charles Schumer is not the only one.
And I am not even going to comment on your *****y remark "I would have thought that was probably the default position for any self-respecting bunch of Islamicist terrorists?".

My bad; generally homophobia is as much a cultural phenomenon as a religious one, although the two are obviously connected, and I shouldn't have extended that to yourself. I'm happy to accept your personal prejudice is based solely on religious grounds. We are unlikely to ever agree whether or not that justifies such a prejudice.
I am happy that you call me prejudice and homophobic on the basis that I am speaking the truth. :)

FS123
07-10-2011, 08:44 PM
actually, the burden is on you to prove that incest damage family relationships.
Yup burden is on him. And it doesn't, here is Stanford article: http://www.stanford.edu/~scheidel/incest.htm

Mazdaean (‘Zoroastrian’) religious doctrine, originating from Iran, not only legitimized but encouraged and extolled sexual relations between parents and children and between siblings. The very substantial corpus of pertinent evidence combines prescriptive Zoroastrian texts (mostly from the early Middle Ages) and descriptive accounts by outsiders, ranging from the 5th century BC to the Middle Ages and from western Europe to Tibet and China (West 1882; Spooner 1966; Sidler 1971; Bucci 1978; Frye 1985; Herrenschmidt 1994; Mitterauer 1994; Frandsen 2009).
It was practiced in certain communities in history and it did not show the alleged damage to the family unit. And you know what, when Muslims conquered Persia, they found the practice shocking but sharia scholars allowed it within Mazdaean community. They argued, it is very wrong from Muslim point of view, but we can't force our values on Mazdaeans. So they allowed it for them, seems like Sharia is more tolerant of other communities. Dr Sherman Jackson mention's this in one of his lecture. I saw that lecture 1 year ago so I don't remember the link but the following might be the one: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...07952849278044

Trumble
07-11-2011, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FS123
It was practiced in certain communities in history and it did not show the alleged damage to the family unit.
Right... And that was confirmed by a detailed study of all the contemporary sociological and psychological journals of the times was it? :hiding: Get real.

Any sort of assessment of psychological states when we barely know the names of a few people concerned is totally impossible. Even when we know rather more because of the preservd literature, as with the Roman Emperors about all we can do is take a stab at whether they were mildly disturbed, completely crazy, or totally sociopathic. All the same, an interesting point. The article confirms the widespread and effectively general taboo and the reasons for it, but obviously the damage is potentially mitigated to some degree by an environment where the practice is generally accepted. But in the 21st century, with which we are concerned, there are no such societies so the point is mute.

Pygoscelis
07-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I don't know abot socially, but genetically incest is damaging. Health improves as inbreeding decreases. We can see this in purebred dogs for example. Incestual parents should know about this before breeding.

That said, if two (or more) consenting adults want to go at it or get married, who am I to stop them? Poligamy, homosexuality, incest, whatever. I really don't see it as my place to interfere with what these people do, so long as everything is consentual.

FS123
07-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Right... And that was confirmed by a detailed study of all the contemporary sociological and psychological journals of the times was it? :hiding: Get real.

Any sort of assessment of psychological states when we barely know the names of a few people concerned is totally impossible. Even when we know rather more because of the preservd literature, as with the Roman Emperors about all we can do is take a stab at whether they were mildly disturbed, completely crazy, or totally sociopathic. All the same, an interesting point. The article confirms the widespread and effectively general taboo and the reasons for it, but obviously the damage is potentially mitigated to some degree by an environment where the practice is generally accepted. But in the 21st century, with which we are concerned, there are no such societies so the point is mute.
Yea there is not much evidence against it in 21 century as it is banned on arbitrary reasoning. Jon Haidt calls it moral dumbfounding:
Jonathan Haidt (2001) greatly de-emphasizes the role of reasoning in reaching moral conclusions. Moral judgment is primarily given rise to by intuition with reasoning playing a very marginalized role in most of our moral decision-making. Conscious thought-processes serves as a kind of post hoc justification of our decisions—that is, after the moral decision has been made.

His main evidence comes from studies of "moral dumbfounding" where people have strong moral reactions but fail to establish any kind of rational principle to explain their reaction. Imagine that a brother and sister slept together once, no one else knew, no harm befell either one, and both felt it brought them closer as siblings. Many people still have a very strong negative reaction to this story, yet they can't explain why using Kohlberg's principled moral reasoning. Haidt suggests that we have unconscious, affective, moral heuristics that guide our reactions to morally charged situations and our moral behaviour, and that if we are asked to reason we do so only after we have made the decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_intuitionism
Although, it was a general taboo throughout known human history, so was gay marriages, but it doesn't prove the alleged argument against it and the communities that practiced it normally like the Zoroastrian, they do show argument against the conventional reasoning. There might be other's but Zoroastrian is the closet to our time and relatively easier to study with widespread practice in common people.

But it is missing the main point, if hypothetically, lets say there is a Zoroastrian country and it stages an event in support of incest in US or UK within their embassies in these respective countries, how would the people in US or UK feel? Acceptable or disrespectful?

Good discussion on another forum on the same topic: http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=115022 (covers genetic defects and covers sociological arguments made against it)

truthseeker63
07-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Homosexuality is wrong.

Karl
07-12-2011, 01:07 AM
As a person you can be a prude or a libertine. In the West you have to be a prude until the age of consent. As soon as you reach the age of consent the culture is to become a libertine, anything goes between consenting age people "adults" (whatever the jurisdition is).
Abstractly if you chose to be a prude for life you would probably die from sexual frustration. If you chose to be a libertine for life you would probably die from a sexually transmitted disease.
In Islam you get married to the opposite sex (no "age of consent") and anything goes except anal sex (unclean and too perverted, also damaging). Allah knows best.
So why does the West want to push it's sick homosexuality, anti polygamy and "age of consent" perversions on Islam? Those mind numbing hypocrites make me sick.

Karl
07-12-2011, 01:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
With the exception of zionists, who are the most rabidly anti-muslim people I've met, I've actually met a lot more Christians who hated muslims and called them all terrorists etc than any other group. This has suprised me given how much Islam and Christianity have in common. It would make sense for atheists, hindus, etc (who truly are different) to have more distaste of Islam but this just hasn't been w hat I've found. Maybe it is because of the internet forums I've visited though. Stop by "Paltalk" sometime and you'll see hundreds of rabid anti-muslim christians. And by rabid I mean mouth foaming screaming at the top of their lungs types.
Maybe so, but these are not real Christians. If you hate and slander people that submit to God (the Muslims). Then your master is Iblis, Asmodeus, Satan whatever name you like the Disobedient One. Most so called Christians that attack Islam today are crpto Zionists and crypto Marxists. I have no beef with true Christians.

Ramadhan
07-12-2011, 03:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I don't know abot socially, but genetically incest is damaging. Health improves as inbreeding decreases. We can see this in purebred dogs for example. Incestual parents should know about this before breeding.

As I previously said, this problem is solved easily when the participating incestuous couples agree not to have children.
So what is the excuse for denying them their rights?

Ironically, most excuses offered for denying incestuous couples their rights are the same ones the proponents of homosexuals rights accuse the opponents of homosexuals as having.

Pygoscelis
07-12-2011, 04:38 AM
As I previously said, this problem is solved easily when the participating incestuous couples agree not to have children.
Sure. Or let them have children, provided they fully understand the risks involved. Just because they agree not to have children, doesn't mean they won't have children, unless they are also agree ing to have no sex or have abortions. Contraceptives can fail. So long as they know this, if they want to go ahead, who am I to tell them they can't?

Pygoscelis
07-12-2011, 04:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Homosexuality is wrong.
Religion is wrong. See how easy it is to declare things wrong?

And if you think about it, religion is more of a choice than homosexuality is. People choose to join a religion. People don't choose to be attracted to their own gender (that just is).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!