/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Not taking a bath

loveofgod
08-21-2013, 06:35 AM
A question popped into my head and I thought I would ask. Supposing a person wanted to embrace Islam and he didn't take a bath before he did that would he still be considered Muslim? What are the things a person has to do to become Muslim? Are there any rituals which if not followed will nullify a person's faith in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
08-21-2013, 06:41 AM
lol... he has to cleanse at some point before praying.. I don't understand what would preclude a person from doing that? water is 70% of Earth' surface ..

loveofgod
08-21-2013, 06:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by جوري
lol... he has to cleanse at some point before praying.. I don't understand what would preclude a person from doing that? water is 70% of Earth' surface ..
So it's the prayer that makes a man Muslim? I have heard that Muslims wash themselves before every prayer?

glo
08-21-2013, 06:47 AM
I understood that in the absence of water (say in the desert) people can wash with sand? Is that correct?

Given that Islam originated in a very dry part of the world, there must be some kind of allowance made for such a situation.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
08-21-2013, 07:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by loveofgod
So it's the prayer that makes a man Muslim? I have heard that Muslims wash themselves before every prayer?
you bring an interesting point indeed, the five pillars are what makes a man a Muslim, but leaving prayer does put one outside the folds of Islam yes!

Signor
08-21-2013, 07:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I understood that in the absence of water (say in the desert) people can wash with sand? Is that correct?
Yes,you are right.Sura 5 (Al-Mai'da), ayat 6

"O you who believe! When you intend to offer As-Salat (the prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles . If you are in a state of Janaba (i.e. after a sexual discharge), purify yourselves (bathe your whole body). But if you are ill or on a journey, or any of you comes after answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse), and you find no water, then perform tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful."

glo
08-21-2013, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Signor
Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful.
I love that! :statisfie

sister herb
08-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Just simple faith makes man a muslim. Others like washing yourself are just as rituals. If you haven´t pure faith - you have nothing.

loveofgod
08-21-2013, 05:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister herb
Just simple faith makes man a muslim. Others like washing yourself are just as rituals. If you haven´t pure faith - you have nothing.
Could you please explain? What exactly is the procedure to become Muslim? Do I have to take a bath and then pray the way the Muslims do? Is there any ceremony like the Christians have when they accept Jesus as their saviour? How exactly does a person convert to Islam?

Hamza Asadullah
08-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Could you please explain? What exactly is the procedure to become Muslim? Do I have to take a bath and then pray the way the Muslims do? Is there any ceremony like the Christians have when they accept Jesus as their saviour? How exactly does a person convert to Islam?
Greetings my friend,

There is no type of physical baptism in Islam. Faith is established in the heart by affirming with the tongue. A Muslim means to totally submit oneself to ones creator. This submission is due to the fact that he is our creator and master and we are under him and fully reluant upon him. We are nothing without him for he is our sustainer and cherisher. He is our helper and protector. We realise only he knows what is best for us. We are firm no matter what that he does not have any partners nor is he in need of any. He challenges those who make such terribley vile accusations against him saying that he has a son. He tells such people that "If you have proof then bring your evidence", but there is no such evidence because without a doubt God is one without any partners. He is not three in one or one in three. This is the deception of Satan who has caused man to corrupt his words and associate that with God which does not befit his supreme magnificense.

Once one has the full belief in his oneness and his Prophets who came to spead and establish his oneness including Prophet Muhammed (Peace be upon him) the last and seal of the Prophets as well as his books, Angels and that he is in full control of destiny in terms of what has hapoened and what is to come, then all this affirmation of faith is summarised and repeated in one statement which after it is repeated means that one has accepted Islam and becomes a Muslim:

Ash hadu Allaah ilaaha ilallahu Wa Ash Hadu Anna Muhammadan Abduhu Warasoolu

I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is the slave and Messenger of Allah

That is all that is required to accept Islam and become a Muslim. It is good to have a bath so as to physically purify oneself which also helps to internalise the acceptance of the truth and the lifting of the burden of a lifetime of sin as accepting Islam causes the wiping out of every sin like one has become a newborn baby.

So if you believe in the oneness of God and his final Messenger then waste not a second more but repeat the above statement with your tongue and affirm and accept it in your heart lest death overtake a persin as life is most uncertain and death awaits each one of us as we do not know when our fixed and appointed time will come to an end.

Muslim Woman
08-22-2013, 01:14 AM
How Does Someone Become a Muslim?
Simply by saying with conviction, La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammadur rasoolu Allah, one converts to Islam and becomes a Muslim (to hear it click here).

This saying means “There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah),1and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.” The first part, “There is no true god but God,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor son. To be a Muslim, one should also:
n Believe that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God, revealed by Him.n Believe that the Day of Judgment (the Day of Resurrection) is true and will come, as God promised in the Quran.n Accept Islam as his or her religion.n Not worship anything nor anyone except God.The Prophet Muhammad

said: {God is more joyful at the repentance of someone when he turns to Him in repentance than one of you would be if he were riding his camel in the wilderness, and it runs away from him, carrying his food and drink, so that he loses all hope of getting it back. He comes to a tree and lies down in its shade (awaiting death), for he has lost all hope of finding his camel. Then, while he is in that state (of desperation), suddenly it is there before him! So he seizes its halter and cries out from the depth of his joy, “O God, You are my servant and I am Your Lord!” His mistake comes from the intensity of his joy.}2

http://www.islam-guide.com/ch3-6.htm

Muslim Woman
08-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Who can become a Muslim and how will I be regarded by other Muslims?

Some people are often worried if they will be allowed to become Muslim due to a variety of reasons such as having tattoos, having had a wild past, being a single mother, being from a certain country or race, being a child and various other reasons. Rest assured that none of this matters. If you believe in Islam you can become a MuslimIslam is for the whole of humanity and Islam unites together people of different colours, languages, races. and nationalities into one brotherhood.

Allah says: "Indeed the Believers (believers in Islam)are but brothers." [Quran 4 9:10]

Therefore anybody can who believes Islam is the true religion of God can become a Muslim. If you have any doubts about this or if you have heard something different then please read the article:Who can become a Muslim and how will I be regarded by other Muslims?

Islam erases all sins committed prior to becoming a Muslim. Allah says :

“Say to those who have disbelieved, if they cease (from disbelief), their past will be forgiven. But if they return (thereto), then the examples of those (punished) before them have already preceded (as a warning)”

[Quran 8:38]

Prophet (may the peace and blessings and mercy of Allah be upon him) said, Islam annuls what came before it. (narrated by Muslim).As soon as you become a Muslim all your previous sins are forgiven and you start a blank state and a complete clean record.

You may hear from some Muslims incorrect advice due to their lack of knowledge of Islam or due to lack of correct knowledge of Islam.

Someone may say that you have to do a course or obtain a certificate to become a Muslim. This is incorrect. You do not need to attend a course or obtain a certificate to become Muslim.

http://www.muslimconverts.com/shahadah/converting.htm

loveofgod
08-22-2013, 09:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Simply by saying with conviction, “La ilaha illa Allah, Muhammadur rasoolu Allah,” one converts to Islam and becomes a Muslim (to hear it click here).

This saying means “There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah),1and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.” The first part, “There is no true god but God,” means that none has the right to be worshipped but God alone, and that God has neither partner nor son. To be a Muslim, one should also:
n Believe that the Holy Quran is the literal word of God, revealed by Him.n Believe that the Day of Judgment (the Day of Resurrection) is true and will come, as God promised in the Quran.
So it's a very simple procedure? Just utter with the tongue that you believe and that's it? No need for bath or prayer or performing any ceremony? Have I understood this correctly or is there something I'm missing. Someone in this thread said that there are 5 pillars to follow as well. What about that?

Muslim Woman
08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
So it's a very simple procedure? Just utter with the tongue that you believe and that's it? No need for bath or prayer or performing any ceremony? Have I understood this correctly or is there something I'm missing. Someone in this thread said that there are 5 pillars to follow as well. What about that?

to become a Muslim , one needs to utter the Shahada / the testimony that There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah),1and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.” Taking bath is preferable but not a must .

To remain as a Muslim , one needs to believe in several matters like 5 pillars .

And God Almighty knows Best.

Hamza Asadullah
08-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Becoming a Muslim is the most simplest and easiest way to accept true faith. It requires only utterance by the tongue with affirmation in the heart.

The 5 pillars is what Muslims live by on a daily basis. The first pillar being faith itself. So once you fully accept faith then ypu have already fulfilled the first pillar.

The second pillar is the 5 daily prayers. This is the most important act of worship that a Muslim must do on a daily basis. The third pillar being fasting in the month of Radan which takes places once a year and lasts between 29 & 30 days.

The fourth pillar being Zakah which is obligatory charity paid once a year in which a Muslim parts with 2.5 % of his wealth and gives it to charity ( If he has any wealth eligable for Zakah).

The fifth and final pillar if the sacred journey of Hajj which is fone once a year to Makkah in Saudi Arabia. This journey can only be completed if a person can afford it.

So the last two pillars are dependant on a persons financial resources. I hope this clarifies things for you. If you have any questions then please do not hesitate to ask.

sister herb
08-22-2013, 03:56 PM
It is very simple - just say those words and really mean it by your heart.

It is like I became a muslim. I was looking for islam for years and (without any teacher) I thought it must to be some rituals and so on. One day I understood what islam really means (submission to the will of Allah and I said shahada alone). After week from that I was able to visit in nearest mosque and repeated it there with withnesses (at that time I hadn´t any idea about wudu or how to pray but my soul was ready to take islam as my way of life).

If I did something wrong (like being in mosque and saying shahada without hijab for example) I just hope that Allah forgiveness my ignorance. :embarrass

loveofgod
08-23-2013, 08:59 AM
to become a Muslim , one needs to utter the Shahada / the testimony that There is no true god (deity) but God (Allah),1and Muhammad is the Messenger (Prophet) of God.” Taking bath is preferable but not a must .

To remain as a Muslim , one needs to believe in several matters like 5 pillars .
If I have understood correctly the first pillar is the witnessing? If I do this then I become Muslim. But if I can't do the other 4 pillars then I won't remain Muslim? ^o)

loveofgod
08-23-2013, 09:03 AM
If I did something wrong (like being in mosque and saying shahada without hijab for example) I just hope that Allah forgiveness my ignorance.
Well, entering a new religion is like entering a new world you know nothing about. I don't think God would punish people if they didn't know. If He does punish then I don't know if Islam is the religion for me.

Signor
08-23-2013, 09:35 AM
If I have understood correctly the first pillar is the witnessing?
Correct

If I do this then I become Muslim. But if I can't do the other 4 pillars then I won't remain Muslim?
Become a Muslim and you will be told how this matter is dealt with.

loveofgod
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Become a Muslim and you will be told how this matter is dealt with.
I would like to know how this matter is dealt with before I become Muslim. I can't take the plunge if I don't know what I'm getting into.

Signor
08-23-2013, 01:04 PM
On another thread you wrote

Then I am better off the way I am. No pressures.
So not even gonna waste my time on you Sir

Have a nice day!

Muslim Woman
08-23-2013, 05:09 PM
:sl:

You remain muslim. After witnessing only thing what makes you non-muslim is start to worship some other religion.

if a Muslim deny the pillars of Islam like prayer , fasting , zakat , Hajj - s/he will come out of Islam , right ? These are some basic things like believe in holy books , Prophets pbut , angels , hereafter etc.

loveofgod
09-03-2013, 06:51 AM
So not even gonna waste my time on you Sir

Have a nice day!
So if I don't accept Islam immediately I'm a waste of time. Looks like there is no room in this forum for people to take their time trying to understand the religion and have their doubts and questions addressed. Surely the God which you claim to worship is not so shallow that He can't be patient with me.

loveofgod
09-03-2013, 06:55 AM
if a Muslim deny the pillars of Islam like prayer , fasting , zakat , Hajj - s/he will come out of Islam , right ? These are some basic things like believe in holy books , Prophets pbut , angels , hereafter etc.
I never said that I deny the pillars of Islam. All I said was that it would be extremely hard for me to follow those pillars. There's a big difference between denying something and not having ability to follow something.

Muhammad
09-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Greetings loveofgod,

So if I don't accept Islam immediately I'm a waste of time. Looks like there is no room in this forum for people to take their time trying to understand the religion and have their doubts and questions addressed. Surely the God which you claim to worship is not so shallow that He can't be patient with me.
I don't think the brother was expecting you to accept Islam immediately. Rather he quoted a post where it wasn't clear that you were still trying to understand the religion and consider accepting it. If you are, then that is good to know and we will try to help, God-willing.

I never said that I deny the pillars of Islam. All I said was that it would be extremely hard for me to follow those pillars. There's a big difference between denying something and not having ability to follow something.
You are right that there is a difference between these two situations. It's certainly better to accept the five pillars and do one's best to follow them, than not try at all or even deny them. Note that Allaah :swt: does not burden a soul beyond its capacity. He does not expect us to do something that He knows is beyond our ability. Hence you will find a lot of leeway for people who are genuinely unable to do certain things, like those who have medical conditions etc. At the same time, the laws of Islam have already taken into consideration the abilities of mankind and have not laid down any undue hardship upon mankind. So we should be willing to sacrifice to the limit of our ability and potential in fulfilling and achieving our duty to Allaah :swt: with right observance. The fact that Allaah :swt: obliged all believers to pray five times a day is a proof that it is within the capabilities of humans. People have all kinds of work schedules and commitments but they are still able to pray on time, and when one makes the effort, Allaah :swt: makes things easy for them.

And strive for Allah with the striving due to Him. He has chosen you and has not placed upon you in the religion any difficulty. [It is] the religion of your father, Abraham... [Qur'an 22:78]

Here's a site where you can learn more about the five pillars and other basics of Islam:
http://www.beconvinced.com/archive/e...llars Of Islam

And Allaah :swt: knows best in all matters.

Hamza Asadullah
09-03-2013, 10:21 PM
My friend just go with the flow. There is no need to be so negative. You can do anything you want to if you really put the effort in. At first it is hard just like anything one is doing for the first time but eventually you will realise that you cannot live without the 5 prayers. It is a meeting with God 5 times a day. Which leader in this world gives us that much attention that they would meet us once in a lifetime let alone 5 times a day yet this is the master of the Universe meeting us 5 times a day.

So just take things slow and gradually and do not think too far ahead. Surely it is Satan who makes us think that we cannot do something when in actual fact we can do ANYTHING and the only one stopping us is ourselves. Once you start praying you will feel a satisfaction and peace in your heart that you never imagined. No one can describe it, but it is something that is felt. So do the best you can and eventually you will not be able to live without the 5 prayers!

M.I.A.
09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
i lol'd.

i guess op would have to take regular baths in islam.... im kidding

with regards to pillars of faith, 4 out of 5 are covered in quran "al-birr" (learnt from forum)

and religious pilgrimage is mentioned at least as expiation of sins.

although put into context each pillar has certain constraints and normal associations.

for example most people fast at prescribed times.

give charity at certain times.

etc etc.

probably some associations and comparisons you can make as a christian.

facethetruth
09-04-2013, 04:28 PM
You have to say the shahada and believe it in your heart sincerely not for any reason except for pleasing Allah. The most important thing is your heart. The hypocroties used to pray and said the Shahada but they are in Hell because they did not believe in it, they just did it to take for other life reasons such their family, or for their spouse...etc

The rest of the pillars if you believe you have to do them but did not do them then you are a Muslim but if you dont believe in them and thinking that saying the Shahada is enough and the pilars are not part of the religion then you are not Muslim. Except for prayer some scholars says you have to do them even if you believe in them and others say no you are still a Muslim even if you dont pray as long as you are welling to and know that you are wrong. Ask as much questions as you want my friend :)

loveofgod
09-06-2013, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by facethetruth
The rest of the pillars if you believe you have to do them but did not do them then you are a Muslim
Thank you for this information. It does make me feel a lot better.

loveofgod
09-06-2013, 05:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
There is no need to be so negative.
All I had said that it would be hard for me to follow the pillars and everyone jumped at this saying things like I'm a waste of time, that I won't be considered Muslim. I'm curious about islam and there are many things that interest me about it. But I've seen how people here are quick to pass judgments on me. They want me to accept everything they say immediately and if I don't they are harsh and dismiss me as though I am rubbish. Some called me polytheist without knowing exactly what beliefs in Christianity I cling to. People have been sarcastic, even questioning my love for God as though only Muslims love God and people of other religions don't.

Hamza Asadullah
09-06-2013, 11:36 AM
All I had said that it would be hard for me to follow the pillars and everyone jumped at this saying things like I'm a waste of time, that I won't be considered Muslim. I'm curious about islam and there are many things that interest me about it. But I've seen how people here are quick to pass judgments on me. They want me to accept everything they say immediately and if I don't they are harsh and dismiss me as though I am rubbish. Some called me polytheist without knowing exactly what beliefs in Christianity I cling to. People have been sarcastic, even questioning my love for God as though only Muslims love God and people of other religions don't.
Yeah but what is it with this constant negative attitude of yours:

"I cant do it"

"It will be too hard for me"

You got to stop putting yourseld down and being negative all the time. You can do anything but the only thing holding you back is: IF YOU REALLY WANT TO.

So quit jumping ahead if yourself and take things steo by step and in a gradual manner.

The first step is to take the Shahada if you fully believe in the oneness of God and the fact that the Propget is the final seal of all the Prophets and messengers sent by God.

After that you do need to be part of a support network like a reverts group in your local area in a Masjid or Islamic centre etc. That way you can connect with other reverts going through the same as you and you can help and support each other.

Now smile and be positive. You can do ANYTHING if you really want to.

Best regards

loveofgod
09-09-2013, 01:13 PM
You can do anything but the only thing holding you back is: IF YOU REALLY WANT TO.
You can do ANYTHING if you really want to.
I don't think so. Only God can do anything He wants. I am just a mere human being who can't even move unless He wills it.

M.I.A.
09-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't think so. Only God can do anything He wants. I am just a mere human being who can't even move unless He wills it.
thats funny.

i guess the less you explain the better it is for everyone.

...or elaborate so others can reassure you and give you guidance.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!