/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Statements of salaf ra

Pages : [1] 2 3

azc
01-09-2017, 01:40 PM
‘Awn ibn Abdillah (rahimahullah) said, “A man advised his son saying: O my son! You should adopt Taqwa and if you are able to be better today than you were yesterday and to be better tomorrow than you are today, then do so.”(Kitabuz Zuhd of Imam ‘Abdullah ibn Al Mubarak, Hadith: 846, pg. 254 and Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 4 pg. 263/264. Also see Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 36741)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
azc
01-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Dhun Nun Misri (rahimahullah) said, ''O My Allah! The pious worshippers heard about you so they obeyed and surrendered to you, the sinful ones heard of the wonderful way you forgive thus they have hope.(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 9 pg. 385)

azc
01-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Fudayl ibn ‘Iyad (rahimahullah) said, “Two things harden the heart; speaking too much and eating too much”.(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 5315)

azc
01-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Luqman the wise said to his son, “O my beloved son! Do not delay in repentance [tawbah] for death will come to you suddenly”(Kitabu Qasril Amal, Hadith: 178 and Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 6802)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
azc
01-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Abul ‘Ala Yazid ibn ‘Abdillah Ash-Shikkhir (rahimahullah) said. '‘After Islam, a person is given nothing better than to be blessed with a sound mind’'(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 26462)

azc
01-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Imam Shafi’i (rahimahullah) said, “When you see a person dedicated to Hadith, it is as though you have seen Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)”(Al Maqasidul Hasanah, Hadith: 1104)

azc
01-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Malik ibn Dinar (rahimahullah): “Whoever loves something will speak excessively about it”(Dhammud Dunya of Imam Ibn Abid Dunya, Hadith: 464, Shu’abul Iman, under Hadith: 499)

azc
01-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Yunus ibn ‘Ubayd (rahimahullah), a Tabi’i said,.''It is hoped that a person will someday abandon all [evil] habits except for a liar. [For this habit is difficult to abandon'' (Dhammul Kadhib, Hadith: 64)

azc
01-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Sufyan ibn ‘Uyaynah (rahimahullah) said: “An intelligent person is not he who merely knows what is good and what is evil. An intelligent person follows good when he sees it and abstains from evil when he sees it” (Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 8 pg. 339)

azc
01-09-2017, 04:35 PM
Imam Shafi’i (rahimahullah):“The squeeze of the grave will cause you to forget your wedding night”(Diwanul Imam Ash Shafi’i, pg. 68)

azc
01-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Ibrahim [ibn Yazid At Taymi, a Tabi’i] says:“When you see a man being unmindful and neglectful towards attaining the takbir ula [initial takbir of the Imam in Salah], then wipe your hands off him [ie. there is no good in such a person].(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 4 pg. 215. Also see Siyaru A’alamin Nubala, vol. 5 pg. 62)

azc
01-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Ibn Abi Fudayk (rahimahullah) says, “I heard a person whom I had seen say, it has reached us when a person stands at the grave of Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) and recites the verse: (Innallah Wa Mala-Ikatahu Yu Salluna ‘Alan Nabi), (Surah Al Ahzab, verse: 56) and then says seventy times ‘sallallahu ‘alayka Ya Muhammad’ An Angel says to him, “May Allah’s blessing be on you too, no need of yours will be left unfulfilled” (Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 3872. Also see Al Qawlul Badi’, pg. 87 and pg. 424)

azc
01-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Hamdun ibn Ahmad Al Qassar (rahimahullah) who says:“When one of your brothers slips up [commits an error], then seek seventy excuses for him. If your hearts do not accept it, then know that the fault is with your own self”(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 10684)

azc
01-09-2017, 04:39 PM
‘Umar ibn Maymun (rahimahullah) said, “One who recites the Holy Quran looking inside after Fajr salah and reads one hundred verses gets a reward as large as the entire world”(Ihya ‘Ulumid Din, vol. 2 pg. 263, Al Mustatraf, vol. 1 pg. 36. Also see Ithafus Sadah Al Muttaqin, vol. 4 pg. 467)

azc
01-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Imam Sufyan Thawri (rahimahullah) or Imam Sufyan ibn ‘Uyaynah (rahimahullah) said, “When the pious are mentioned, [Allah’s] mercy descends” (Refer: Al Mughni ‘An Hamlil Asfar, Hadith: 2109, Al Masnu’, Hadith: 201. Also see Tadribur Rawi, with footnotes of Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah, vol. 4 pg. 539)

azc
01-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Salamah ibn Dinar (rahimahullah) said, “A person does not set things right between himself and Allah but that Allah will set things right between him and the people. A person does not spoil the relationship between himself and Allah but that Allah will spoil things between him and the people”(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 3 pg. 239, Siyaru A’alamin Nubala, vol. 6 pg. 100)

azc
01-10-2017, 02:23 AM
It is reported that Abū Hurayrah – Allāh be pleased with him – said:''Three things are from Imān: when a man has nocturnal emission during a cold night, so he gets up – only Allāh sees him, and has a full wash; when a person fasts on a hot day; and when a man prays in a barren land, where none but Alāh sees him.: - Al-Bayhaqī, Shu’ab Al-Īmān article 51

azc
01-10-2017, 02:25 AM
It is reported from Ḥammād b. Zayd that he said, ''I never saw a man who used to smile more at people than ʾAyyūb. :...Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 5:17

azc
01-10-2017, 02:26 AM
Al-Rabīʿ b. Khuthaym used to come to ʿAlqamah on the day of Jumuʿah and they would talk. They would call for me and I would come and talk with them. One day, they sent for me and I came. ʿAlqamah said to me,Have you not heard what Al-Rabīʿ b. Khuthaym has come to us with?I replied,And what is that?He said,[Rabīʿ] said a man from the People of Scripture once said to us,Do you not see how much people supplicate but how seldom their prayers are answered? That is because Allāh does not accept except what is sincere and purely for Him.I said,Well ʿAbdullāh [b. Masʿūd] already said the same.He asked,What did he say?I replied,Haven’t you heard him say,By Him other than whom there is none worthy of worship, Allāh does not accept [the deed] of one who seeks to be heard of, or seen, and nor someone who is playing around, [He only accepts the supplication] of one who calls upon Him from the bottom of his heart.He replied,Indeed, [I have heard him say that].... :Hunād b. Al-Sarī, Al-Zuhd #874.

azc
01-10-2017, 02:28 AM
Its is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with them – said :''Whoever tries to make people hear of his deeds, Allāh will make [some] of His creation hear of him (expose him), and belittle him. Ibn ʿUmar then began to cry.... :Wakīʿ b. Al-Jarrāḥ, Al-Zuhd #308

azc
01-10-2017, 02:30 AM
It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Adham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:...''Whoever seeks knowledge sincerely, for the servants of Allāh to benefit by and to benefit himself, then being hidden (from fame) is more beloved to him than seeking loftiness. He is the one who becomes more lowly to himself, strives more in worship, fears Allāh more, yearns for Allāh more, and becomes more humble amongst people. He cares not what he has of this dunyā night or day....:Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān article 1653.

azc
01-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Khālid b. Ma’dan – Allāh have mercy on him – said: ''Whoever seeks praise by going against the truth, Allāh will throw it back upon him as blame, and whoever faces blame in order to conform to the truth, Allāh will return it as praise for him.(Al-Dhahabī,Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā`4:540).

azc
01-10-2017, 10:06 AM
‘Eesaa Ibn Maryam said:“Indeed whoever prays and fasts, but does not leave off sinning, then it is written that he is a liar.” [Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa, 13/196]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:07 AM
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with them – said:"Whoever tries to make people hear of his deeds, Allāh will make [some] of His creation hear of him (expose him), and belittle him. Ibn ʿUmar then began to cry.(Wakīʿ b. Al-Jarrāḥ, Al-Zuhd #308)

azc
01-10-2017, 10:31 AM
‘Alee Ibn Al-Madeenee (d.234) said:“Indeed Allaah aided this religion through Aboo Bakr as-Sideeq on the day of the apostasy; and through Ahmad Ibn Hanbal on the day of the trial.” [Tathkiratul Huffaath, 2/432]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Aboo Daawood (d.275) said:“The lectures of Ahmad were sittings of the hereafter. He would not mention in them anything of the worldly affairs; and I never saw him mention this world (elsewhere).” [Siyar ‘Alaamin Nubulaa’, 11/177-358]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Shaqeeq al-Balkhee said:“The sign of repentance (is): weeping at what has preceded, fear of falling into sin, leaving evil company and maintaining the company of the good.” [Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa, 9/315]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Ibn ‘Abbaas said:“Ties between relatives may be severed, and a person’s kindness may be rejected and unappreciated, but there is nothing like closeness between hearts.” [Ad-Durr Al-Manthoor Fee Tafseer Al-Ma’thoor, 4/100]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Sufyaan Ath-Thawree said:“The excellence of knowledge is due only to the fact that it causes a person to fear and obey Allaah, otherwise it is just like anything else.” [Related by ibn Rajab]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Imaam Ahmad said:“Whosoever alleges that Allaah does not speak, then he is a disbeliever. Verily we relay these narrations as they have come.” [As-Sunnah, p. 71]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal said:“Describe Allaah with what He has described Himself with, and negate from Allaah what He has negated from Himself…” [Manaaqibul Imaam Ahmad, by Ibn Al-Jawzee, p. 221]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Ibn Shubrumah said:“I am amazed at the people who take care of themselves by eating food out of fear of dying, yet do not protect themselves from sins out of fear of the Fire.” [Siyar A’laam an-Nubalaa, 6/348]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Hudhayfah ibn al-Yamaan (ra) said:“Do not perform any act of worship that was not practised by the Companions of the Messenger of Allah, for the earlier generation did not leave any room for the latter to add anything (to the religion). Fear Allah, O’ readers, seekers of knowledge, and follow the path of those who came before you.” [Narrated by Ibn Battah in Al-Ibaanah]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Abu Bakr bin Abdullah al Muzani said:“Who is like you, O son of Adam? Whenever you wish, you use water to make Ablution, go to the place for worship and thus enter the presence of your Lord (i.e. start praying) without a translator/barrier or a barrier between you and Him!” [Al Bidayah Wan-Nihayah 9/256]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Imaam Maalik said:“The shield of the Scholar is, ‘I do not know’, so if he leaves it down, his attacker will strike him.” [Al-Intiqaa’, p. 37]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:43 AM
Imaam Al-Awzaa’ee (d.157) said:“Make yourself patient upon the Sunnah, stop where the people stopped, speak with what they spoke with, and refrain from what they refrained from. And follow the path of your Righteous Predecessors (Salafus Saaliheen) for verily, sufficient for you is that which was sufficient for them.” [Related in Ash-Sharee’ah, by Al-Aajurree, p. 58]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Imaam Ahmad said:“The Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (saw) – after the four caliphs – are the best of the people, and it is not permissible for anyone to … speak ill of any of them, blaming them for deficiencies and shortcomings. It is indeed obligatory upon the ruler to reprimand and punish whoever does that, and he should not be pardoned.” [Kitaab As-Sunnah, p. 77-78 & Manaaqibul Imaam Ahmad, of Ibnul Jawzee, p. 170]

azc
01-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Imaam Adh-Dhahabee said:“May Allaah have mercy over the person who speaks little, reads the Quraan, weeps over his lost time, constantly gazes into (saheeh) Bukhaaree and (saheeh) Musilm, and worships Allaah before he is surprised by death.” [At-Tadhkirah, 2/80]

azc
01-10-2017, 12:33 PM
Fudayl Ibn ‘Iyaad (d. 187) said:“Whoever marries his beloved daughter to an innovator has cut off the ties of relationship with her.” [Al-Barbahaaree, An Explanation of the Creed, 137]

azc
01-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Al-Fadl Ibn Muhammad Ash-Sha’raanee said:“I never saw ‘Abdullaah Ibn Saalih (137-223H) except that he was narrating ahaadeeth or saying tasbeeh.” [Siyaar A’laamun Nubulaa, Vol. 10, Pp. 405-416]

azc
01-10-2017, 12:35 PM
Al-Hasan Al-Basree said:“To endure short-lived difficulties that are followed by long lasting ease, is better than hurrying for a short-lived ease that is followed by ever-lasting hardship.” [Al-Hilyah, 2/134]

azc
01-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Abu Nu’aim reported: Sufyan Ath-Thawri, may Allah have mercy on him, said, “Behave well in your private life and Allah will make your public life excellent. Take care of what is between you and Allah, and he will take care of what is between you and the people. Work for your Hereafter and Allah will suffice your affairs in this world. Sell your worldly life for your Hereafter and you will profit in them both together, and do not sell your Hereafter for your worldly life or you will lose them both together.”...Source: Ḥilyat al-Awliyā 7/35

azc
01-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Abu Nu’aim reported: Sufyan At-Thawri, may Allah have mercy on him, said, “Do not hate anyone who obeys Allah. Be merciful to the common people and their leaders. Do not sever family ties and keep good relations with those who cut you off. Keep good relations with them even if they cut you off. Overlook those who wrong you and you will be a companion to the prophets and the martyrs.”....Source: Hilyat Al-Awliya 84

azc
01-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Ja’far ibn Burqan reported: I heard that Yunus ibn Ubaid was kind and righteous, so I wrote to him saying: O brother, write to me about what you are upon. Yunus wrote back to me saying: I have received your letter asking about what I am upon. I will tell you that I suggested to my soul that I would love for people what I love for myself and hate for them what I hate for myself, but my soul was far from capable. Then, I suggested to my soul that I would not mention anyone except for the good they do. I found that fasting in the intensely hot days of Basra was easier than abandoning such backbiting. That is my affair, O brother. Peace be with you.”...Source: Hilyat Al-Awliya 3097

azc
01-20-2017, 09:26 AM
Ash-Sha’bi reported: Jesus the son of Mary, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Verily, excellence (ihsan) is that you are good to those who are evil to you, not that you are good only to those who are good to you.”....Source: Tafseer Ibn Kathir 29:69

azc
01-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Ibn Muflih reported: Umar ibn Abdul Aziz, may Allah have mercy on him, said, “The best jihad is the struggle against desire.”...Source: Al-Adab Ash-Shar’iya 131

azc
01-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Abu Na’eem reported: Ibrahim ibn Adham, may Allah have mercy on him, said, “The most difficult jihad is the struggle against desire. Whoever can prevent himself from his desires will be relieved from the world and its trials, and he will be protected and safe from its harms.”...Source: Hilyat Al-Awliya 18

azc
01-20-2017, 09:29 AM
Ibn Al-Qayyim reported: It was said to Hasan Al-Basri, “O Abu Sa’eed, which jihad is best?” Hasan, may Allah have mercy on him, said, “Your jihad against your desires.”....Source: Rawdat Al-Muhibeen 1/478

azc
01-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Ibn Abdul Barr said, “It is said that the worst rulers are far from the scholars and the worst scholars are near to the rulers.”...Source: Jami’ Bayan Al-‘Ilm 727

azc
01-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu): “Do not be someone’s slave when Allah has created you free.” (Adabud Dunya wad Din, pg. 537/538)

islamdude1
01-23-2017, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu): “Do not be someone’s slave when Allah has created you free.” (Adabud Dunya wad Din, pg. 537/538)
We are all slaves of Allah brother

azc
01-23-2017, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamdude1
We are all slaves of Allah brother
yes, of course we are,; but we shouldn't be of others

azc
02-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Mutarrif ibn ‘Abdillah ibn Shikkhir (rahimahullah) said, ''Indeed when a person’s private and public conduct are the same, Allah Ta’ala says: This is truly my slave.''(Kitabuz Zuhd of Imam Waki’, Hadith: 530 and Hilyatul Awliya, vol.2 pg.205)

azc
02-09-2017, 07:05 PM
Shaykh Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullah) said:‘Nobody has the right to force others to follow him [in matters of difference of opinion].(See: Adabul Ikhtilaf, pg.132)

azc
02-09-2017, 07:48 PM
Imam Sufyan Thawri (rahimahullah) said:‘When you see a man practicing on something different to what you approve, and there does exist [legitimate] difference of opinion on that matter,then do not stop him.’(Al-Faqih wal Mutafaqqih, vol.2 pg.69, as quoted in Adabul Ikhtilaf of Shaykh ‘Awwamah, pg.89).

azc
02-16-2017, 02:44 AM
''Whoever remembers death frequently, his rejoicing and jealousy will reduce'' (Sayyiduna Abud Darda (radiyallahu ‘anhu)....(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 1 pg. 220. Also see: Kitabuz Zuhd Of Imam ‘Abdullah ibn Al Mubarak, pg. 464)

azc
02-16-2017, 04:16 AM
Ayyub As Sakhtiyani (rahimahullah),'' A man will not achieve nobility until he inculcates two qualities; Abstaining from the possessions of people and to pardon and overlook them.'' (Makarimul Akhlaq, Hadith: 43 and Rawdatul ‘Uqala, pg. 167)

azc
02-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Imam Sufyan thowri rh said, “We follow what we know, and hand over what we do not know to those who do know. We will even question our understanding in favour of theirs”(Al-Intiqa, pg.265, 266)

azc
02-22-2017, 03:55 PM
Abu Murayah Al ‘Ijli (rahimahullah) said, “Whoever retires to bed in the state of wudu and falls off to sleep while engaging in the dhikr of Allah Ta’ala, his bed will be regarded as a Masjid. He will receive the reward of being in Salah and dhikr until he awakens” (Musannaf ‘Abdur Razzaq, Hadith: 19837. Refer: Fathul Bari, Hadith: 6311, vol. 11 pg. 110)

azc
02-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Abu Dharr Al-Ghifaari (RA) said: “A person possessing two dirhams will have a harsher reckoning on the Day of Judgment than a person who possesses just one dirham, and a person who possesses two dinars will have a harsher reckoning than someone who possesses only one.”[Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqaa`iq article 555}

azc
02-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Al-Qaasim ibn Muhammad (RA) said: “Whenever I would go out, I would first pass by the house of Aaishah (RA) and give her my Salaam. One day I went out and I found her praying the Morning Prayer (Salaah al-Dhuhaa), reciting over and over the verse of Allah: ‘But Allah has been gracious to us, and has saved us from the torment of the Fire. (52:27)She was invoking Allah (SWT) crying and repeating the verse. So I got up and went to the market to take care of my needs. Thereafter I returned and there she was, still standing as I left her, repeating the verse praying and crying.” [Sifat al-Safwah (1/319)]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Rabee’ Ibn Anas: “A sign (of a person) having love for Allah is his increase in his remembrance of Him (Allah), for verily you do not love something except that you increase remembrance of that (thing)” (Jaami’ al-Uloom Wal-Hikm of Ibn Rajab p. 444)

azc
02-24-2017, 10:47 AM
Ibn ul-Qayyim said: “…The best thing to do when someone needs help physically or financially is to busy yourself with helping that person, relieving his distress, and to place this as a priority over your private worship that you would usually be engaged in.” [Madarij as-Salikin’ (1/188)]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Umar Ibnul Khattaab (radiyAllaahu-anhu) said: The best of deeds is the fulfillment of what Allaah has made obligatory, refraining from what Allaah has forbidden out of fear of Him and having a truthful intention in (hoping) for what Allaah has with Him (of reward in the hereafter). [Jaami-ul Uloom Wal-Hikam]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Hisham Ibn Hassan said: “They mentioned humility in front of al-Hasan and he was silent until they talked a lot. He said: ‘I see that you have talked a lot about humility.’ They said: ‘What is humility, Abu Sa’id?’ He said: “That one exits one’s home and does not meet a single Muslim but that one believes that he is better than oneself.” [az-Zuhd, p. 226]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:50 AM
Abu Mas’ood Al-Balkhee: “Whoever is afflicted with tragedy and he rips up a garment or pounds on his chest then it is as if he has grabbed a spear and intends to fight his Lord, the Mighty and Majestic.” (Faydul Qadeer, 3/230)

azc
02-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Ibn Taymiyah said: “Allah (SWT) is more merciful to His slaves than the most merciful of mothers to her child, for the One Who made her merciful must be more merciful than her.” [Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 16/448]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:52 AM
It was said to Al-Hasan Al-Basri; “People say that the one who has been on Hajj is the one who is forgiven.” He said, “And the sign of this is that he leaves the evils he used to do.” [Ibn Abu Al-Dunya, Al-Tawbah article 70]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:53 AM
It is reported that Muhammad b. Al-Hanafīyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:“Whoever has self respect does not give any value to the worldly life (dunyā)”.[Ibn Al-Jawzī, Sifatu Al-Safwah 2:77]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Imam Al-Hasan Al-Basree (may Allah have mercy on him) said: “We laugh and yet who knows? Perhaps Allah has looked at some of our works and said: ‘I will not accept anything from you.’ Woe to you, son of Adam! Can you fight Allah? Whoever disobeys Allah is fighting Him. By Allah! I have met seventy veterans of Badr. Most of their garments were wool. Had you seen them you would have said they are crazy, and had they seen the best among you they would have said: ‘Those people will have no part in the Hereafter.’ Had they seen the worst among you they would have said: ‘Those people do not believe in the Day of Reckoning.’ I have seen people for whom this world was cheaper than the dust under their feet. I have seen people the like of whom would come home at night, not finding more than his own portion of food, and yet say: ‘I shall not put all of this into my belly. I shall certainly give some away for Allah’s sake.’ Then he would give away some of his food in charity, even if he were more in need of it than its recipient.” – Quoted by Abu Nu’aym in Hilyah al-Awliya wa Tabaqat al-Asfiya 2/134

azc
02-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Imam As-Shafi’i (rahimahullah): “Whoever does not love knowledge then there is no good in him. So there should not be any acquaintance between you and him, and nor any friendship.” [Muqqadimatul-Majmoo’ Shahil-Muhadhdhab vol.1 pg-42]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:56 AM
Umar Ibn ‘Abdul Azeez was advised: “Oh Umar, beware of being the ally of Allah (SWT) in open, while being His enemy in secret. If one’s nature in open and secret do not equate then he is a hypocrite, and the hypocrites occupy the lowest level in Hellfire.” [Al-Bayhaqi, Al-Zuhd Al-Kabeer,pg.100]

azc
02-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Abu Bakr as-Siddiq (radiyAllahu’anhu): “Indeed Allah forgives Major Sins, so do not despair, and indeed Allah punishes for Minor Sins, so do not be deceived.” (Sharh al-Bukhari by Ibn Battal 19/267)

azc
02-24-2017, 10:58 AM
Ibn Al-Jawzee said: “This worldly life only impresses those with no intellect. Similar to how vain dreams please the sleeper, imaginary games are perceived by a child, whereas a sensible person cannot be deceived by such delusion.” [Kitaab Al-Lataa’if Fil-Waa’iz, pg. 61]

azc
02-24-2017, 11:06 AM
A man came to ‘Abdullâh bin ‘Umar – at the time he was a ruler – and said to him: I heard that someone mentioned me with bad behind my back in front of you.‘Abdullâh bin ‘Umar said: Yes, it happened. The man said: Let me know what he said so that I defend myself and show you that what was said are lies. ‘Abdullâh bin ‘Umar said: “I dislike uttering evilness about myself by cursing my tongue. Yet, it is enough to know that I did not believe what was said and still joining the relationship between you and me.[Finsihed today: Wednesday: 12 / Jumâdâ al-Âkhirah/ 1428 (June 27, 2007)]

azc
02-24-2017, 11:06 AM
Ibn al-Qayyim said: “If Allah (SWT) opens for you (gives you success to doing that action) the door of standing for the night prayer then do not look at those who are sleeping with a look of disdain. And if Allah (SWT) opens for you the door of fasting then do not look at those who break their fast with a look ofdisdain.Andif Allaah opens for you the door of jihad then do not look at those who sit and do not participate with a look of disdain. Maybe the one who sleeps, breaks his fast and sits is closer to Allah (SWT) than you! And indeed that you spent the night sleeping and woke up regretful is better than the one who spent the night standing and woke up admiring himself for indeed the one who admires himself actions are not accepted” [Madaarij as saalikeen 1/177]

azc
02-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Abdul-Aziz ibn al-Khattaab: “A big black dog was seen lying down next to Ibn Dinar so it was said to him, ‘O Abu Yahya! Can’t you see this dog lying next to you?’ He said, ‘It is better than an evil companion’. (Rawdhat al-‘Uqalaa, pg. 70)

azc
02-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Abdullaah Ibn Mas’ood (radiyAllahu’anhu): “There isn’t any true relaxation for the believers besides the meeting of Allah.” (Az-Zuhd of Ahmad, p.194)

azc
02-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Abdul ‘Ala at-Taymee said, “Whoever is given knowledge that doesn’t cause him to cry, then it is appropriate (to say) that his knowledge does not benefit him. Because Allah described the scholars as (then he recited the verses),“Verily! those who were given knowledge before, when it is recited to them, fall down on their faces in humble prostration.”up until“And they fall down on their faces weeping and it increases their humility.”[Surah Israa 107-109] al-Musannif by ibn Abi Shaybah 13/542

azc
02-24-2017, 11:11 AM
Al-Hasan Al-Basri said: “The believer does the best deeds yet is most fearful, that his deeds will not be accepted. If he were to spend a mountain of wealth in charity, he would not feel sure of the reward until he sees it. The more righteous and pious he becomes, the more hefears.Butthe hypocrite (munafiq) says, ‘There are so many people, I will be forgiven, no problem.’ So he does wrong and evil deeds, yet holds foolish wishes about Allah.” [Al-Dhahabi, Siyar A’lam Al-Nubala 4:586]

azc
02-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Abu Nu’aim reported: Sufyan Ath-Thawri, may Allah have mercy on him, said, “Behave well in your private life and Allah will make your public life excellent. Take care of what is between you and Allah, and he will take care of what is between you and the people. Work for your Hereafter and Allah will suffice your affairs in this world. Sell your worldly life for your Hereafter and you will profit in them both together, and do not sell your Hereafter for your worldly life or you will lose them both together.”...Source: Ḥilyat al-Awliyā 7/35

azc
02-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Sayyiduna Abud Darda (radiyallahu’anhu) said, “The person who acts upon what he knows, Allah Ta’ala will grant him knowledge of that which he does not know” (Al-Jami’u li Akhlaqir Rawi, no. 35)

azc
02-27-2017, 03:14 AM
‘Allamah Nawawi (rahimahullah) states, “Reciting the Quran while looking into the Mushaf is more virtuous than reciting from memory. If a person is able to attain more concentration and reflection [over the meanings of the Quran] when reading from memory, then reciting from memory will be more virtuous than reciting while looking into the Mushaf. However if he achieves equal levels of concentration when reciting from memory or when looking into the Mushaf, then looking into the Mushaf will be more virtuous as this combines two forms of worship, reciting the Quran as well as looking into the Holy Quran which is a separate act of worship.”(Al Adhkar, under Hadith: 327 and Al Futuhatur Rabbaniyyah, vol. 3 pg. 263)

azc
02-27-2017, 07:37 PM
“If you see an Aalim at the door of the king, know that he is a thief.” (Saeed Bin Musayyab)

azc
02-27-2017, 07:38 PM
“The worst Ulama are those who are close to the rulers (kings, government officials and the like).” – (Hadhrat Asmaee)

azc
02-27-2017, 07:39 PM
“If you see an Aalim visiting a judge/ magistrate without valid need, then do not think good of him nor offer Salaam to him. Regard him as an evil person.” (Sufyaan Thauri)

azc
02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
“A person who only fulfils his Fardh obligations and abstains from visiting rulers, is better than a man who perpetually fasts, engages in ibaadat the entire night, performs Hajj and participates in Jihad, but also visits the king.” (Fudhail Bin Iyaadh)

azc
02-28-2017, 04:40 PM
When ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhu) would see youngsters going out in the search of knowledge, he would say, “Welcome O springs/fountains of wisdom, [you are] lanterns of the dark, wearing simple/tattered clothing, softhearted, [clinging to your homes] and beautiful fragrance amidst all people”: ” (Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 1600. Also see Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 1 pg. 77)

azc
03-06-2017, 05:04 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said, “Whoever desires to be saved from the nineteen dreadful guards over Jahannam known asZabaniyah, he should recite Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim” (Tafsir Qurtubi before Surah Fatihah, vol. 1 pg. 143 and Tafsir Ibn Kathir, vol. 1 pg. 65. Also see: Ad Durrul Manthur, vol. 1 pg. 44)

azc
03-06-2017, 05:13 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu’anhu) said,'‘The best salah a woman can offer is the one in the depth of her home.'’ (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 7696)

azc
03-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (radiyallahu ‘anhu): said,'''‘Can Din be deficient while I’m living’'? (See: Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1399, Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 20, Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 1551, Sunan Tirmidhi. Hadith: 2607, Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 217, Musnad Ahmad vol. 1 pg. 11)

azc
04-01-2017, 12:27 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) said, “Whosoever harasses a Jurist has caused trouble and pain to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) and the one who causes trouble and pain to Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) has caused trouble to Allah”(At Targhib Fi Fadailil A’amal, Hadith: 283)

azc
04-04-2017, 03:10 PM
Ayyub As Sakhtiyani (rahimahullah). Said,''A man will not achieve nobility until he inculcates two qualities; Abstaining from the possessions of people and to pardon and overlook them....(Makarimul Akhlaq, Hadith: 43 and Rawdatul ‘Uqala, pg. 167)

azc
04-08-2017, 06:34 AM
Hz Anas ra said,''There are many people who recite the Quran while the Quran curses them.”(Refer: Ithafus Sadah Al Muttaqin, vol. 4 pg. 468)

azc
04-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Hz Abdullah bin masud ra said, “Adopting moderation in practising upon the Sunnah is better than striving and exerting oneself in innovatory practices”(Mustadrak Hakim, vol. 1 pg. 103)

azc
04-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Ibn Abbas narrated, Once I was in a state of itikaaf in the Prophet's Mosque (Medina). A certain person came to me and sat down. I said to him, 'O so and so, you look sad'. He said, 'Yes of course, o fraternal brother of the Prophet. So-and-so has his due on me, and by the one who lies in eternal peace in the grave (i.e. Prophet Muhammad), I am not able to pay the debt' I said, 'Should I not talk to him about your debt?' He said, 'You can do so if you like' There upon I put my shoes on and went out of the mosque. The person asked him, 'Have you forgotten the state you were in (i.e. itikaaf)?' I replied, 'Not at all, but I have heard rom the one who lies in eternal peace in the grave [saying this his eyes became filled with tears], said:"One who moves to fulfill any need of his brother, and makes effort for it, will find it better than itikaaf of ten years; and one who performs itikaaf for one day for the pleasure of Allah, he will create a distance of three ditches between him and the hell - and each ditch has a width which lies between East and West, or between the heaven and earth."(Source: Al Targhib Vol II p 272.)

azc
07-03-2017, 04:04 AM
Imam Shafi’i (rahimahullah) said. ''Knowledge is not what has been memorised, rather true knowledge is that which is beneficial'' (Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 9 pg. 123 and Al Madkhal ila ‘Ilmis Sunan, Hadith: 1623)

azc
07-03-2017, 05:19 AM
Sahl ibn ‘Abdillah At Tustari (rahimahullah) said,'' The entire world is ignorant and barren except for the knowledge in it, and knowledge will be used as a proof against the creation except that knowledge which was practiced upon, and knowledge which was practiced upon is useless unless accompanied with sincerity. Sincerity is a serious matter and only Allah Ta’ala is aware of this'' (Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 6454. Also see: Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 10 pg. 194)

- - - Updated - - -

Sayyidatuna ‘Aaishah (radiyallahu’anha) is reported to have said: '‘The first calamity to have crept in the ummah after Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) is to eat full stomach. For when people eat till their fill, their bodies become fat, their hearts weaken and their desires grow out of control.'’ (Ad-Du’afa of Imam Bukhari; See Lisanul Mizan, no: 5992 and Kitabul Ju’ of Ibn Abid Dunya, Hadith: 22 – Mawsu’ah, Hadith: 2917. Also see Targhib, Hadith: 3162)

azc
07-09-2017, 05:18 AM
Ja’far ibn Sulayman, Abu Sulayman Al Basri, a Tab’ut Tabi’i. Said,'' Worry and concern about this world is a darkness in the heart and worry and concern about the Hereafter is a light in the heart''(Dhammud Dunya, Hadith: 467)

azc
07-23-2017, 06:04 AM
Tabi’i, Yunus ibn ‘Ubayd (rahimahullah) said

''If two qualities of a person are in order, the rest of his affairs/deeds will also be in order; Salah and his tongue [i.e. He safeguards his tongue]''

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 3 pg. 20)

azc
07-24-2017, 12:31 PM
It was said to Hasan Al-Basri: "Shouldn't one of us feel too shy to ask his Lord to forgive his sin, then do it again, then ask for forgiveness, then do it again?"

He said: "The Shaytaan wishes that you would have this attitude, so do not tire of asking for forgiveness".

["Jaami al-Ulum wal-Hukam", 1/165].

noor grant
07-24-2017, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by azc
Ja’far ibn Sulayman, Abu Sulayman Al Basri, a Tab’ut Tabi’i. Said,'' Worry and concern about this world is a darkness in the heart and worry and concern about the Hereafter is a light in the heart''(Dhammud Dunya, Hadith: 467)
Masha Allah so true.
Lightness just descends on me when i am more worried about whether i will be forgiven on judgement day and enter Jannah. Its like a right of passage to realize this though...so easy to get caught up in the little trivial things and forget the real point of life. subhana allah
Thanks for sharing.

azc
07-25-2017, 05:00 AM
‘Umar ibn ‘Abdul ‘Aziz (rahimahullah) said: “[People use to say] Become a scholar if you are able to. If you are not able, then be a student. If you cannot then love them. If you are unable to do that also then [at least] do not hate them.” (Jami’u Bayanil ‘Ilmi Wa Fadlihi, Hadith: 143)

azc
01-10-2018, 03:24 PM
“Whoever belittles etiquette will be punished by being deprived of the sunnah, and who leaves a sunnah will be deprived of the fardh (obligatory) deeds and he will eventually be deprived of his recognition of Allah”(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 3017, Kitabut- Tahajjud of Ishbili, pg.132 & Mu’eedun Ni’am of Subki, pg. 85)

azc
01-11-2018, 06:01 AM
''The Friend is your refuge and support on the Way.If you look, you’ll see the Friend is the Way.''-–Mawlana Jalāl al-Dīn Rūmi [MathnawiVI, 1592]

azc
01-12-2018, 04:06 AM
‘Allamah Ibn Qayyim (rahimahullah) states, ‘When researching the foods that Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) consumed, one will find that he did not combine fish and milk [in one meal]. (Zadul Ma’ad, vol. 4 pg. 204)

azc
01-14-2018, 05:16 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Busr (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said: “Some time ago I heard/It used to be said, ‘When you are in a group of people, who number twenty, or more or less, and you examine their faces, and you do not see any person among them who is being respected for the sake of Allah [despite his piety and knowledge], then know well that the condition has weakened [i.e. the people’s piety has decreased and their Din has become weak].”(Targhib, vol. 1 pg. 113)

Haroonomary
01-19-2018, 07:29 AM
beautiful

azc
01-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Sa’id Ibn Al-Musayyab (rahimahullah) said:“I have reached 80 years of age and I do not fear anything upon myself more than I fear [the fitnah] regarding women.” (Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 34613)

azc
01-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Fudayl ibn ‘Iyad (rahimahullah) said, “Two things harden the heart; speaking too much and eating too much”.(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 5315)

azc
01-27-2018, 07:38 AM
Hasan Al Basri (rahimahullah) said.

Each morning, the day calls out, O people, I am a new day, I am a witness to deeds carried out [during the day]. Once the sun set, I will never return till the Day of Qiyamah.

(Kitabuz Zuhd, Hadith: 474. Also see: Kalamul Layali Wal Ayyam of Imam Ibn Abid Dunya, Hadith: 7)

azc
01-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Wahb ibn Munabbih (rahimahullah), a Tabi’i said,

A pious worshipper said to his son, “O son don’t be like those who hope who for Jannah but don’t carry out any [good] deeds and delay repentance hoping to live long.”

(Kitabut Tawbah, Hadith: 28. Also see: Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 6801)

azc
01-29-2018, 11:12 AM
Ibrahim ibn ‘Amr As San’ani ra said,

It was once revealed to Nabi Yusha’ ibn Nun (‘alayhis salam) that a punishment would befall his people and destroy one hundred thousand of them. Sixty thousand of them were sinners, whereas the other forty thousand were outwardly pious people! [In astonishment] Nabi Yusha’ asked, “O Allah! What crime did the pious people commit?” Allah Ta’ala replied, “They associated and interacted with the evil people, ate and drank with them and did not express any anger for the wrongs taking place around them.”

(Al ‘Uqubat, Hadith: 13, Al Amr Bil Ma’ruf Wan Nahy ‘Anil Munkar, Hadith: 71)

azc
02-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattab (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

“Remind yourselves of Allah, for it is a cure. Do not remind yourselves of people, for it is a disease.”

(Kitabuz Zuhd of Imam Ahmad, Hadith: 644, Kitabuz Zuhd of Imam Hannad, Hadith: 1111, Kitabus Samt, Hadith: 204 and 658, Al Ghibah Wan Namimah, Hadith: 67)

azc
02-02-2018, 02:08 AM
Wahb ibn Munabbih (rahimahullah) said,

''Remember three [advices] from me; Beware of the following, following desires, an evil companion and being self conceited.''

(Az Zuhd of Imam Ahmad, Hadith: 2193, Musnad Abu Ya’la, Hadith: 6114, Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 4 pg. 58. Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 10 pg. 226)

azc
02-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Muqatil ibn Muhammad once went with his father and brother to visit Abu Ishaq Ibrahim Al Harbi. Ibrahim asked Muhammad, ‘Are these your children?’ When my father replied in the affirmative, he said, ‘Beware, They should not see you [doing things/in places] that Allah Ta’ala has prohibited lest your rank in their eyes and their respect for you diminish.

(Tarikh Baghdad, vol. 6 pg. 534)

azc
02-03-2018, 08:57 AM
‘Umar ibn ‘Abdil ‘Aziz (rahimahullah) said:

The best actions are those which the nafs is forced to carry out/dislikes doing.

(Muhasabatun Nafs, Hadith: 113)

azc
02-04-2018, 12:12 PM
Humayd ibn Hilal Al ‘Adawi (rahimahullah) said:

“The one who remembers Allah Ta’ala in the marketplace is like a green tree in the middle of several dead trees.”

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 2 pg. 252)

azc
02-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Hz Anas RA said:

“There are many people who recite the Quran while the Quran curses them.”

(Refer: Ithafus Sadah Al Muttaqin, vol. 4 pg. 468)

azc
02-09-2018, 12:09 PM
famous Saint, Ma’ruf Al Karkhi (rahimahullah) said,

When Allah Ta’ala intends good for a person, he opens the door for him to carry out [good] deeds and closes the door to arguments. And when Allah intends evil for a person, he closes the door for him to carry out [good] deeds and opens the door of arguments.

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 8 pg. 361, Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 1692)

azc
02-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Sayyiduna Abud Darda (radiyallahu ‘anhu) told his wife Ummud Darda, “If I become angry then try to please me. If you become angry I will [say things that will] please you. Were we not to act this way, how quickly would we be separated!”

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala, pg. 72, Tarikh Dimashq, vol. 70 pg. 152)

azc
02-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Sufyan Thawri (rahimahullah) said:

It is easier to meet Allah with seventy sins which are between you and Him [i.e. where you have violated the command of Allah] than meeting him with one sin between you and another person [i.e. where you have violated the right of a person/oppressed him in any way].

(Tambihul Ghafilin, pg. 359 and At Tadhkirah Fi Ahwalil Mawta Wa Umuril Akhirah, vol. 2 pg. 143)

azc
02-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Mohammed ibn Sireen (rahimahu Allah) stated: "This knowledge (the hadiths) is your religion, so look into who you take it from." (Al Majrooheen, 1/27)

azc
02-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Humayd ibn Hilal Al ‘Adawi (rahimahullah) said:

“The one who remembers Allah Ta’ala in the marketplace is like a green tree in the middle of several dead trees.”

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 2 pg. 252)

azc
02-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Mutarrif ibn ‘Abdillah ibn Shikkhir (rahimahullah) said:

It is more beloved to me that I spend the night asleep and awake regretful [for not offering Tahajjud Salah], rather than spending the night engaged in Tahajjud Salah but being proud/conceited in the morning.

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 2 pg. 200)

azc
02-14-2018, 03:39 AM
Imam ‘Abdullah ibn Al Mubarak (rahimahullah) said:

“Whoever is miserly/conceals his knowledge will suffer in one of three ways; He will either die [early], or he will forget or he will follow the rulers (i.e. sell his knowledge for their wealth.)

(Tadribur Rawi, vol. 4 pg. 553)

azc
02-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Ahmad ibn Harb (rahimahullah) said:

I worshipped Allah for fifty years, but I only found the sweetness and true enjoyment of worship after abandoning three things:

1.I stopped worrying about people’s happiness/hurting their feelings, which enabled me to speak the truth

2.I desisted from spending time with open sinners, which allowed me to enjoy the company of the righteous

3.I stopped pursuing the pleasures of this world, which allowed me to experience the sweetness of the Hereafter

(Tarikhul Islam, vol. 10 pg. 756, Siyaru A’alamin Nubala, vol. 11 pg. 34)

azc
02-15-2018, 12:54 PM
the statements of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud and Sayyiduna Abud Darda (radiyallahu ’anhuma)

“Be an ‘Alim, or one who strives to become one, or at least one who listens (to the ‘Ulama) or one who loves (them). Do not become the fifth (one who hates them) for you will be destroyed.”

(Majma’uz Zawaid, vol.1 pg.121 and Shu’abul Iman of Bayhaqi, Hadith: 1581)

azc
02-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Salamah ibn Dinar (rahimahullah) said:

“A person does not set things right between himself and Allah but that Allah will set things right between him and the people. A person does not spoil the relationship between himself and Allah but that Allah will spoil things between him and the people”

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 3 pg. 239, Siyaru A’alamin Nubala, vol. 6 pg. 100)

azc
02-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Sayyiduna Anas (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

“Al Azd is Allah’s lion [i.e. Allah’s army] upon the earth. The people wish to lower them but Allah refuses except to raise them. A time will come upon the people where a man will say: “I wish my father was Azdi, I wish my mother was Azdi.”

(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 3937)

azc
02-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Imam Sufyan Thawri (rahimahullah) or Imam Sufyan ibn ‘Uyaynah (rahimahullah) said:

“When the pious are mentioned, [Allah’s] mercy descends”

(Refer: Al Mughni ‘An Hamlil Asfar, Hadith: 2109, Al Masnu’, Hadith: 201. Also see Tadribur Rawi, with footnotes of Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah, vol. 4 pg. 539)

azc
02-17-2018, 01:47 PM
Bishr ibn Al Harith Al Hafi (rahimahullah) said:

The one who loves fame has not feared Allah Ta’ala.

Do not carry out [good] deeds in order to be mentioned, conceal your good deeds just as you conceal your evil ones.

(Siyaru A’alamin Nubala, vol. 10 pg. 476)

azc
02-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Amirul Mu’minin Sayyiduna ‘Umar ibn Al-Khattab (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

“Remind yourselves of Allah, for it is a cure. Do not remind yourselves of people, for it is a disease.”

(Kitabuz Zuhd of Imam Ahmad, Hadith: 644, Kitabuz Zuhd of Imam Hannad, Hadith: 1111, Kitabus Samt, Hadith: 204 and 658, Al Ghibah Wan Namimah, Hadith: 67)

azc
02-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Al Harith (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

“Whoever does not honour his guest is not from Muhammad (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) nor Ibrahim (‘alayhis salam).''

(Kitabuz Zuhd, Hadith: 614 and Sunan Sa’id ibn Mansur, Hadith: 2437)

azc
02-18-2018, 06:15 PM
Bilāl b. Saad – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

A brother who, whenever you meet him, points out to you one of your faults (for you to correct yourself) is better for you than a brother who, whenever you meet him, puts a dīnār (money) in your hand.

(Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm no. 1428)

azc
02-18-2018, 08:53 PM
Bakr Al-Ṣiddīq – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

''Beware of lying, for lying is far removed from īmān.''

Abū Bakr Al-Ḵallāl, Al-Sunnah no. 1
467, 1470; Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān no. 4463.

azc
02-19-2018, 02:01 AM
Alī b. ʾAbī Ṭālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

''Do not be with the sinner (fājir), for he will beautify to you the things he does, and he will want you to be like him; and he will beautify to you the worst of his practices; and his entrance upon you and leaving from your company will cause ignominy and discredit [of you].
And do not accompany the fool (aḥmaq), for he will exhaust himself [to help you] but will not benefit you, and he may want to benefit you but end up harming you; his silence is better than his speaking, his distance is better than his closeness, and him dying is better than him living.
And do not accompany the liar, for life will not benefit you with him, he will tell others what you say, and tell you what others say; and if you speak the truth, it will not be believed.''

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir AlʿIlm no. 1379

azc
02-19-2018, 06:23 PM
Some people said to Ibn Umar ra,

“We enter upon our rulers, and we say to them something different to what we say when we leave their company.” He said, “We used to regard this as [a type of] nifāq (hypocrisy).”

Al-Bukhārī, no. 7178

azc
02-20-2018, 07:15 AM
Maymūn b. Mihrān – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

I have met men in front of whom I would be ashamed to speak, and I have met men who used to say nothing but the truth, or be silent. And I have met men who had never seen the sky properly, out of fear of their Lord.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm article 2039.

azc
02-23-2018, 04:07 AM
Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

‘Stick with your true brothers. You can live in comfort with them, as they are a delight in times of ease, and you can lean on them in times of hardship. Assume the best about your brother until he comes with something that should alarm you from him. Avoid your enemy, and beware of befriending anyone but the trustworthy, and there is no trust for the one who doesn’t fear Allah.’

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala of Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah), pg.83. Also see Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 7993)

azc
02-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Yaḥyā b. Abī Kathīr – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

It used to be said, “People have never honoured themselves with anything [better] than the obedience of Allāh, and they have never dishonoured themselves with anything [worse] than disobedience to Allāh.”

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Muḥāsabatu Al-Nafs article 98.

azc
02-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu’anhu) is reported to have said: ‘Whoever puts himself in a suspicious position, should not blame others for applying suspicion on him.’......(Rawdatul ‘Uqala of Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah), pg.83. Also see Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 7993)

azc
02-24-2018, 04:51 AM
ما من قوم فيهم من يتهاون بالصلاة ولا يأخذون على يديه إلا كان أول عقوبتهم إن ينقص من أرزاقهم

''When a nation is negligent towards Salah, and none prohibits them against this/cautions them except that the first punishment to afflict them will be a decrease of sustenance.''

Hafiz ibn Rajab Al Hambali (rahimahullah) has cited this as the statement of Abu Khallad (rahimahullah)

(Fathul Bari of Hafiz Ibn Rajab, vol. 2 pg. 278)

azc
02-24-2018, 09:33 AM

‘Stick with your true brothers. You can live in comfort with them, as they are a delight in times of ease, and you can lean on them in times of hardship. Assume the best about your brother until he comes with something that should alarm you from him. Avoid your enemy, and beware of befriending anyone but the trustworthy, and there is no trust for the one who doesn’t fear Allah.’

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala of Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah), pg.83. Also see Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 7993)

azc
02-25-2018, 04:30 AM
إنك أن تلقى الله عز وجل بسبعين ذنباً فيما بينك وبينه أهون عليك من أن تلقاه بذنب واحد فيما بينك وبين العباد

''It is easier to meet Allah with seventy sins which are between you and Him [i.e. where you have violated the command of Allah] than meeting him with one sin between you and another person [i.e. where you have violated the right of a person/oppressed him in any way].''

Faqih Abul Layth As Samarqandi and ‘Allamah Qurtubi
(rahimahumallah) have cited this as the statement of Sufyan Thawri (rahimahullah).

(Tambihul Ghafilin, pg. 359 and At Tadhkirah Fi Ahwalil Mawta Wa Umuril Akhirah, vol. 2 pg. 143)

azc
02-25-2018, 10:08 AM
It is reported that Abū Ḥāzim Salamah b. Dīnār – Allāh have mercy on him – was once asked:

“O Abū Ḥāzim, do you not see how prices have risen?” He replied, “And what is the worry? Verily, he (Allāh) who provides for us during deflation is the one who will provide for us during inflation.”

Abū Nuʿaym, Ḥilyatu Al-ʾAwliyāʾ 3:239

azc
02-26-2018, 04:10 AM
Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said: “Beware of excessive meat, for it has an addiction similar to that of wine”- ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu)....(Muwatta Imam Malik, Hadith: 2702)

azc
02-26-2018, 09:42 AM
ترك العمل من أجل الناس رياء والعمل من أجل الناس شرك والإخلاص أن يعافيك الله عنهما

Imam Bayhaqi (rahimahullah) has recorded this as the statement of Fudayl ibn ‘Iyad (rahimahullah).

(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 6469. Also see: Ar Risalah Al Qushayriyyah, pg. 479)

Translation

Leaving out an action for people is ostentation, doing a deed [to show] people, is shirk. Sincerity is that Allah protect you from these two qualities.

azc
02-26-2018, 01:25 PM
إن هذه القلوب أوعية فاشغلوها بالقرآن، ولا تشغلوها بغيره

Imam Abu Bakr Ibn Abi Shaybah and Imam Abu Nu’aym (rahimahumallah) have recorded this statement of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhu). The narration is suitable to quote as recorded.
(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 30633-35693, Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 1 pg. 131. Also see Jami’u Bayanil ‘Ilmi Wa Fadlihi, Hadith: 358)

Translation

Hearts are receptacles/vessels, so fill them with Quran and not with anything else.

azc
02-26-2018, 08:13 PM
يهلك الناس في خلتين فضول المال وفضول الكلام

Imam Abu Bakr ibn Abid Dunya (rahimahullah) has recorded this as the statement of the famous Tabi’i, Ibrahim An Nakha’i (rahimahullah).

(As Samt Wa Adabul Lisan, Hadith: 103-681. Also see: Ithafus Sadah Al Muttaqin, vol. 7 pg. 467)

Translation

''Two things will lead to
a man’s destruction; surplus wealth and excessive [unnecessary] chatter.''

azc
02-27-2018, 01:04 PM
عن مسروق رحمه الله قال: ليس شيء أعظم عند الله من الكذب

Imam Ibn Abid Dunya (rahimahullah) has recorded this statement of Masruq (rahimahullah).

(As Samt Wa Adabul Lisan, Hadith: 554. Also see: Ithafus Sadah Al Muttaqin, vol. 7 pg. 522)

Translation:

There is no greater [sin] in the sight of Allah Ta’ala than speaking lies.

azc
02-28-2018, 05:19 AM
إن هذه القلوب أوعية فاشغلوها بالقرآن، ولا تشغلوها بغيره

Imam Abu Bakr Ibn Abi Shaybah and Imam Abu Nu’aym (rahimahumallah) have recorded this statement of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhu). The narration is suitable to quote as recorded.

(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 30633-35693, Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 1 pg. 131. Also see Jami’u Bayanil ‘Ilmi Wa Fadlihi, Hadith: 358)

Translation

Hearts are receptacles/vessels, so fill them with Quran and not with anything else.

azc
02-28-2018, 01:57 PM
Abu ‘Ali Ad-Daqqaq (rahimahullah) said:

“Whoever belittles etiquette will be punished by being deprived of the sunnah, and who leaves a sunnah will be deprived of the fardh (obligatory) deeds and he will eventually be deprived of his recognition of Allah”

(Kitabut- Tahajjud of Ishbili, pg.132 & Mu’idun Ni’am of Subki, pg. 85)

azc
03-01-2018, 07:17 PM
من توقير الصلاة أن تأتي قبل الإقامة

Imam Abu Nu’aym (rahimahullah) has recorded this narration through Imam Sufyan ibn ‘Uyaynah (rahimahullah) who quotes this as the statement of an unnamed person.

Translation

From revering and respecting Salah, is that you come before the iqamah is called out

azc
03-02-2018, 04:21 PM
Hz Umar RA said:

''When someone disobeys Allah in matters that impacts on you, you can retaliate in no better way than obeying Allah in matters that impact on him.''

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala of Imam Ibn Hibban (rahimahullah), pg.82-83)

azc
03-02-2018, 05:16 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) said:

من اتقى ربه ووصل رحمه نسئ له في
عمره وثرا ماله وأحبه أهله

‘Whoever fears his Rabb and joins ties, his lifespan will increase, his wealth will grow and his family will love him’

(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 25900 and Al Adabul Mufrad, Hadith: 58/59)

azc
03-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Always assume the best about your brother unless you learn something about him that you cannot reconcile.

azc
03-03-2018, 02:54 AM
Hz Umar RA said:

“Beware of excessive meat, for it has an addiction similar to that of wine”

(Muwatta Imam Malik, Hadith: 2702)

azc
03-03-2018, 10:27 AM

Never assume the worst about any statement that a Muslim makes as long as you are able to make a good interpretation.

azc
03-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Fudayl ibn ‘Iyad (rahimahullah) said:

ترك العمل من أجل الناس رياء والعمل من أجل الناس شرك والإخلاص أن يعافيك الله عنهما

Leaving out an action for people is ostentation, doing a deed [to show] people, is shirk. Sincerity is that Allah protect you from these two qualities.

azc
03-04-2018, 03:20 AM
Sayyidatuna ‘Aaishah (radiyallahu ‘anha) says, “My mother wanted me to gain some weight before going [to the home] of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). Nothing [benefited me] until she fed me cucumber and fresh dates which [helped me] gain weight nicely.”

(Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 3898, Sunan Ibn Majah, Hadith: 3324)

azc
03-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Never assume the worst about any statement that a Muslim makes as long as you are able to make a good interpretation.

azc
03-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Imam Sufyan ibn ‘Uyaynah (rahimahullah) said:

الحديث مضلّة إلا للفقهاء

Hadith is a source of deviation except for the Jurists[As they only know the interpretation and which Hadiths are suitable for practice]

(Kitabul Jami’, pg. 118. Also see Atharul Hadith of Shaykh Muhammad ‘Awwamah -hafizahullah- pg. 63)

azc
03-05-2018, 04:50 PM

One who exposes himself to suspicion must never blame anyone who holds a bad opinion of him.

azc
03-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Sa’id Ibn Al-Musayyab (rahimahullah) said:

“I have reached 80 years of age and I do not fear anything upon myself more than I fear [the fitnah] regarding women.”

(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 34613)

azc
03-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Sulaym ibn ‘Aamir narrates that when winter would come, Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) would be extra mindful of them and write to them, advising:

“Winter, which is an enemy, has c
come, so prepare for it with wool, leathers socks, and socks. Use wool as your under-clothing and outer-clothing, because the cold is an enemy that enters quickly but leaves slowly.”

(Refer: Lataiful Ma’arif, pg.564)

azc
03-06-2018, 12:27 PM
It is reported that Imām Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – was traveling and fasted ʿĀshūrāʾ, so he was asked:

“How comes you fast the Day of ʿĀshūrāʾ when traveling but not so during the fast of Ramaḍān?” He replied, “For Ramaḍān, the number of days can be made up later, but ʿĀshūrāʾ will be missed.”

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān ḥadīth 3518.

azc
03-06-2018, 04:47 PM
It is reported that Yaḥyā b. Abī Kathīr – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

It used to be said, “People have never honoured themselves with anything [better] than the obedience of Allāh, and they have never dishonoured themselves with anything [worse] than disobedience to Allāh.”

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Muḥāsabatu Al-Nafs article 98

azc
03-06-2018, 07:44 PM
It is reported that Abū Ḥāzim Salamah b. Dīnār – Allāh have mercy on him – was once asked:

“O Abū Ḥāzim, do you not see how prices have risen?” He replied, “And what is the worry? Verily, he (Allāh) who provides for us during deflation is the one who will provide for us during inflation.”

Abū Nuʿaym, Ḥilyatu Al-ʾAwliyāʾ 3:239.

azc
03-07-2018, 03:41 AM
It is reported that Abu Al-ʿĀlyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

There are two blessings I have been blessed with, I know not which of them is greatest: that Allāh guided me to Islām, and that he did not make me a Ḥarūrī (from the Khawārij extremists).

ʿAbd Al-Razzāq Al-Ṣanʿānī, Al-Muṣannaf ḥadīth 18667.

azc
03-07-2018, 04:15 AM

Whoever guards his secrets will retain the choice [and control of it] in his hands.

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala , pg.82-83)

azc
03-07-2018, 05:41 AM
Al-Shaʿbī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Stay away from the sinful amongst the scholars and the ignorant amongst the worshippers, for these two are the calamity of everyone who would fall into fitnah.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān ḥadīth 1753.

azc
03-07-2018, 06:17 AM

Ensure that you keep true friends to stay under their wings because they are a source of beauty during times of prosperity and a means of protection during times of hardship.

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala pg.82-83)

azc
03-07-2018, 07:52 AM
It is reported that Al-Fuḍayl b. ʿAyyād – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

There is no one who loves authority (leadership) except that he envies, transgresses, chases the faults of others and dislikes anyone being mentioned in a good light.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm article. 971

azc
03-07-2018, 10:41 AM
It is reported that Al-Fuḍayl b. ʿAyyād – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

There is no one who loves authority (leadership) except that he envies, transgresses, chases the faults of others and dislikes anyone being mentioned in a good light.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm article. 971.

azc
03-07-2018, 03:34 PM
Al-Awzāʿī reports that Caliph ʿUmar b. ʿAbd Al-ʿAzīz – Allāh have mercy on him – wrote (in his orders):

There is no place for anyone’s opinion [when it comes to] what is in the Book (revelation). The opinion of the imāms (great scholars) is only regarding what the Book did not come down with, and regarding which no Sunnah has passed from the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ. And the opinion of no one is counted in the face of a Sunnah from the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ.

Al-Ājurrī, Al-Sharīʿah #113 et al.

azc
03-07-2018, 05:31 PM
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Al-ʿAmr b. Al-ʿĀṣ – Allāh be pleased with them – said:

There are three types of sleep: the incompetent’s sleep, proper sleep, and stupid sleep. As for the incompetent’s sleep, it is to sleep in the morning after sunrise (ḍuḥā time), when people are going about their needs (work), he is sleeping. As for the proper sleep, it is the midday nap (qaylūlah). And as for the stupid sleep, it is to sleep when it is time to pray.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān #4409.

azc
03-07-2018, 06:15 PM

Ensure that you speak the truth even if it leads to your death.
(Rawdatul ‘Uqala pg.82-83)

azc
03-08-2018, 03:04 AM
Samurah b. Jundub – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

I was young during the time of Allāh’s Messenger ﷺ and I had memorised things he had said; nothing stopped me from speaking except for the fact that there were amongst us men who were older than me.

Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim, Kitāb Al-Janāʾiz #964

azc
03-08-2018, 05:46 AM

Never delve into matters that do not concern you.

azc
03-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Al-Ḥasan b. ʿUtaybah reports:

Sufyān Al-Thawrī said to Sufyān b. ʿUyainah, “Why do you not speak (narrate)?” He replied, “While you are alive, no way.”

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baġdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī #698.

azc
03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Husayn b. Al-Walīd Al-Naysābūrī said: a reliable person informed me:

Abdullāh b. ʿUmar (Al-ʿUmarī, great-great grandson of ʿUmar) was once asked about something to do with ḥadīth, so he replied, “As long as Abū ʿUthmān (his older brother) is alive, then no.”

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baġdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī #699

azc
03-08-2018, 06:23 PM
It is reported that ʿĀṣim said:

Zirr (Ibn Ḥubaysh) was older than Abū Wāʾil (Shaqīq b. Salamah); so if they ever sat together [in a gathering] Abū Wāʾil would not speak with Zirr (out of respect).

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baġdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī #702.

azc
03-09-2018, 04:52 AM
It is reported from Abū ʿAbdillāh Al-Muʿayṭī that he said:

I saw Abū Bakr b. ʿAyyāsh in Makkah. Sufyān b. ʿUyainah came to him and knelt in front of him. Abū Bakr asked him, “How are you Sufyān? Sufyān, how is your father’s family?” Then a man came and asked Sufyān about a ḥadīth, so Sufyān said, “Do not ask me as long as this Shaykh is sitting here.”

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baġdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī#705

azc
03-09-2018, 09:59 AM
And it is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Al-Mubārak was once asked about an issue in the presence of Sufyān b. ʿUyainah, so he replied,

“We have been forbidden from speaking in front of our seniors.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar Aʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 8:420.

azc
03-09-2018, 12:34 PM
statement of Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (radiyallahu ‘anhu):

ا ينقص الدين وأنا حي

‘Can Din be deficient while I’m living’?

(See: Sahih Bukhari, Hadith: 1399, Sahih Muslim, Hadith: 20, Sunan Abi Dawud, Hadith: 1551, Sunan Tirmidhi. Hadith: 2607, Sahih Ibn Hibban; Al Ihsan, Hadith: 217, Musnad Ahmad vol. 1 pg. 11)

azc
03-10-2018, 05:26 PM
It is reported that Saʿīd b. Jubayr – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Verily, fear (al-khashyah) is that you fear Allāh such that your fear comes between you and your disobedience (of Allāh). That is khashyah. And dhikr (remembrance) is obedience to Allāh: whoever obeys Allāh has remembered Him; and whoever does not obey Him is not a rememberer of Him, even if he says a lot of tasbīḥ and recites a lot of Qurān.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 4:326

azc
03-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Maymun ibn Mihran (rahimahullah) said:

“A man will not attain true taqwa as long as he does not take reckoning of himself, and as long as he does not know the source of his food, drink and clothes.”

(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 36419 and Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 4 pg. 89. Also see: Musnadul Firdaws, Hadith: 8377)

azc
03-11-2018, 10:45 AM
It is reported from Al-Faḍl b. Mūsā that he said:

ʿAbdullāh b. Al-Mubārak and I once came to a bridge, so I said to him, “Go ahead”, and he said, “Go ahead.” So we calculated [the age difference], and it turned out I was two years older than him.

Al-Khaṭīb, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī #249.

Al-Khaṭīb mentions after these and other narrations,“And if the elder gives precedence to someone more knowledgeable than himself, this is allowed, and it is good.”

He then reports that Al-Ḥusayn b. Manṣūr said:

One day, I was with Yaḥyā b. Yaḥyā and Isḥāq (Ibn Rāhuwayh) visiting a sick person. When we all came to the door (next to each other), Isḥāq stepped back and said to Yaḥyā, “Go ahead.” Yaḥyā said to Isḥāq, “You go ahead.” He replied, “O Abū Zakarīyah, you are older than me.” Yaḥyā replied, “Yes, I am older than you, but you are more knowledgeable than me.” So Isḥāq went ahead.

Op. cit. #252.

azc
03-11-2018, 01:26 PM
It is reported that Sufyān Al-Thawrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Whoever takes leadership quickly (too early) will harm a lot of [his] knowledge (will not learn what he needs); and whoever does not take leadership can continue to seek knowledge until he reaches [where he needs to be].

Al-Dārimī, Al-Sunan #554

azc
03-12-2018, 04:05 AM
It is reported from Ḥabīb Al-Jallāb that he asked ʿAbdullāh b. Al-Mubārak – Allāh have mercy on him:

“What is the best thing a person is ever given?” He replied, “Innate intelligence.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “Good conduct.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “A compassionate brother to consult.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “Long silence.” He asked, “And if not that?” Ibn Al-Mubārak replied, “Then an early death.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 8:397.

azc
03-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Imam Tirmidhi (rahimahullah) has recorded a narration in his Shamail, regarding the generosity of Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), on the authority of Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas (radiyallahu ‘anhuma). Under the commentary of this Hadith,
‘Allamah Bajuri (rahimahullah) states,

‘Nabi (sallallahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) would give like a king, but he himself lived the life of a pauper.’

(Shamail Tirmidhi with commentary of ‘Allamah Bajuri, pg. 571)

azc
03-15-2018, 12:48 PM
The famous Tabi’i; Sayyiduna Sa’id ibn Musayyab (rahimahullah) reports that Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

Do not ask about matters that have not occurred because that which has already taken place is enough to keep you occupied from that which has not.

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala, pg.83)

azc
03-16-2018, 01:24 PM
ʿAbdullāh b. ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with them – said:

A man from [the tribe of] the Anṣār once came to me during the caliphate of ʿUthmān. He spoke to me and I realised he wanted me to fault ʿUthmān; he spoke at length and he had some heaviness in his speech and could not finish speaking quickly. When he had finished, I said to him, “We used to say, while the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ was still alive, the best of the Ummah of the Messenger of Allāh after him is Abū Bakr, then ʿUmar, then ʿUthmān. And by Allāh, we do not know that ʿUthmān has ever killed anyone without right or committed any major sin; but it is an issue of this wealth [with you people]: if he gives you, you are happy, and if he gives to his kin, you are angry. You only want to be like the Persians and Romans, who leave no leader of theirs without killing him.”

Then his eyes filled with tears and he said, “O Allāh, we do not want this.”

Imām Aḥmad, Faḍāʾil Al-Ṣaḥābah, article 64

azc
03-16-2018, 05:24 PM
Ayyūb Al-Sakhtiyānī reports that Abū Qilābah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

O Ayyūb, when Allāh brings about knowledge for you, bring about worship of him, and do not let your [sole] concern be to narrate it.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm, article 1279

azc
03-16-2018, 06:09 PM
It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Adham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Whoever seeks knowledge sincerely, for the servants of Allāh to benefit by and to benefit himself, then being hidden (from fame) is more beloved to him than seeking loftiness. He is the one who becomes more lowly to himself, strives more in worship, fears Allāh more, yearns for Allāh more, and becomes more humble amongst people. He cares not what he has of this dunyā night or day.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān article 1653

azc
03-17-2018, 01:52 AM
It is reported that Abū Al-Dardāʾ – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

When you adorn your copies of the Qurān and embellish your mosques, destruction will be upon you.

Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqāʾiq, article 746.

azc
03-17-2018, 02:36 AM
It is reported that Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said to Yūnus b. Yazīd:

O Yūnus! Do not try to overcome knowledge, for verily knowledge is [like vast] valleys: whichever of them you take will stop you before you traverse it. Instead, take it over the days and nights. And do not take knowledge all at once, for whoever tries to take it all at once will lose it all at once. Rather take it bit by bit over the days and nights.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm article 652.

azc
03-17-2018, 05:25 PM
It is reported that Al-ʿAwwām b. Ḥawshab – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Boasting that you did a sin (when you did not) is worse than committing the sin.

Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm, article 3073

azc
03-18-2018, 08:05 AM
It is reported that Bakr b. ʿAbdillāh Al-Muzanī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

When you see someone older than you, say: he has preceded me in īmān and righteous actions so he is better than me; and when you see someone younger than you, say: I have preceded him in sinning and disobedience so he is better than me. And when you see your brothers honouring and revering you, say: this is a virtue they have attained; and when you see them falling short (in their treatment of you) say: this is [because of] a sin I committed.

Ibn Al-Jawzī, Ṣifatu Al-Ṣafwah, article 505: Bakr b. ʿAbdillāh Al-Muzanī.

azc
03-18-2018, 10:04 AM
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

Do not be hasty in praising people or blaming them, for perhaps what pleases you from a person today will displease you tomorrow, and perhaps what displeases you today, will please you tomorrow. Indeed, people change. It is Allāh who forgives the sins. And Allāh is more merciful to his servant the day he meets him than a mother who lays out a bed for her child in an empty patch of land and feels [the ground]: if there is a risk of being stung, it will be her instead of him (her child), and if there is a risk of being pricked by a thorn, it will be her instead of him.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān article 6177

azc
03-19-2018, 02:58 AM
ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

The people will not cease to be well as long as they take knowledge from their seniors. When they take it from their juniors and their bad people, they will be destroyed.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm article 1057

azc
03-19-2018, 05:03 AM
Abdullāh b. Al-ʿAmr b. Al-ʿĀṣ – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

Nifāq (hypocrisy) used to be something unusual amongst all the Īmān. Soon, Īmān will be something strange amongst all the nifāq.

Al-Ibānah 1:173 article 6

azc
03-19-2018, 05:57 AM
Al-Hasan Al-Baṣrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said: ''Do not sit with the people of desires, even if you think you have a response.'' (Al-Harawī, Dhamm Al-Kalām article 765)

azc
03-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Muʿlā b. Al-Faḍl – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

They (the Salaf) used to supplicate to Allāh for six months asking Him to get them to the month of Ramaḍān; and they used to supplicate for six months that Allāh accept [their fasting and other worship in Ramaḍān].

Abul-Qāsim Al-Aṣbahānī, Al-Targhīb wa Al-Tarhīb article 1761

azc
03-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Sufyān Al-Thawrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Knowledge is only learned to [apply it and] put into practice the Taqwā of Allāh the mighty and sublime.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm article 943

azc
03-20-2018, 12:50 PM
It is reported from ʿAbdullāh b. ʿUmar:

When ʿUmar b. Al-Khaṭṭāb arrived in Al-Shām, he said to Abū ʿUbaydah – Allāh be pleased with them: “Take us to your home.” Abū ʿUbaydah said, “And what will you do with my home?” ʿUmar replied, “Just take us there.” Abū ʿUbaydah said, “You only want to cry your eyes out over me.” So he entered his house and saw nothing [by way of furnishings] in it. ʿUmar asked, “Where are your things? I see nothing but rags, a water-skin and a dish (tray), and you are a governor! Do you have food?” So Abū ʿUbaydah went over to an old pail (bucket) and took out some scraps, and ʿUmar began to weep. Abu ʿUbaydah said to him, “I told you you would cry your eyes out over me. O Commander of the Believers, sufficient for you from the dunyā is what delivers you to your place of rest.” ʿUmar said, “The dunyā changed us all except you Abū ʿUbaydah.”

Abū Dāwūd, Kitāb Al-Zuhd article 123

azc
03-21-2018, 08:25 AM
It is reported on the authority of Al-Wakî’ b. Al-Jarrâh:
We went out one Eid with Sufyân Al-Thawrî and he said,

“The first thing we will do on this day of ours is to lower our gaze.”

Ibn Abî Al-Dunyâ, Kitâb Al-Wara’. article 66.

azc
03-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Whenever ʿAbdullāh b. ʿAbbās – Allāh be pleased with them – saw a muṣḥaf (copy of the Qurān) decorated with silver or gold he would say:

Do you tempt the thief, when its beauty is in its inside?

Abū ʿUbayd Al-Qāsim b. Sallām, Faḍāʾil Al-Qurān article 907

azc
03-21-2018, 10:32 AM
It is reported that ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

Blessings arrive with gratitude [to Allāh], and gratitude is connected with more [blessings], and the two are tied together: more blessings from Allāh will never stop unless gratitude from the servant stops.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-Shukr article 18

azc
03-21-2018, 12:46 PM
Abd Al-ʿAzīz b. Abī Rawwād – Allāh have mercy on him – said to a man:

Whoever does not take exhortation [and is not effected] by three things, will not be exhorted by anything: Islām, the Qurān and old age (graying).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-ʿUmr Wa Al-Shayb #40

azc
03-21-2018, 01:35 PM
Imām Mālik said:

The Salaf used to teach their children to love Abū Bakr and ʿUmar like they used to teach them a sūrah of the Qurān.

Al-Lālakāʾī, Sharḥ ʾUsūl ʾIʿtiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah #2325

azc
03-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Imam, Sufyan ibn ‘Uyaynah (rahimahullah) said:

أقلهم ذنبا أخوفهم لربه عز وجل لأنهم أصفاهم قلبا

Those who hardly sin, fear Allah ‘Azza Wa Jalla the most, for their hearts are the cleanest

(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 934)

azc
03-22-2018, 08:23 AM
شهر رجب شهر الزرع و شهر شعبان شهر السقي للزرع و شهر رمضان شهر حصاد الزرع

“Rajab is the month to sow the seeds. Sha’ban is the month to irrigate the crop and Ramadan is the month to reap the harvest.”

‘Allamah Ibn Rajab Al Hambali (rahimahullah) has cited this as the statement of Imam Abu Bakr Al Warraq Al Balkhi (rahimahullah).

(Lataiful Ma’arif, pg. 218, Al Maktabul Islami edition)

azc
03-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Sayyiduna ‘Umar ibn Al Khattab (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

“Hold on to salah, for if you lose it, you will lose everything”

(Muwatta Imam Malik)

azc
03-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Abu Khallad (rahimahullah) said:

ما من قوم فيهم من يتهاون بالصلاة ولا يأخذون على يديه إلا كان أول عقوبتهم إن ينقص من أرزاقهم

When a nation is negligent towards Salah, and none prohibits them against this/cautions them except that the first punishment to afflict them will be a decrease of sustenance.

(Fathul Bari of Hafiz Ibn Rajab, vol. 2 pg. 278)

azc
03-25-2018, 07:17 AM
Someone asked Abdullāh b. Al-Mubārak – Allāh have mercy on him:

“What is the best thing a person is ever given?” He replied, “Innate intelligence.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “Good conduct.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “A compassionate brother to consult.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “Long silence.” He asked, “And if not that?” Ibn Al-Mubārak replied, “Then an early death.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar Alām Al-Nubalā 8:397.

azc
03-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Abdullāh b. ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with them – said:

A man from [the tribe of] the Anṣār once came to me during the caliphate of ʿUthmān. He spoke to me and I realised he wanted me to fault ʿUthmān; he spoke at length and he had some heaviness in his speech and could not finish speaking quickly. When he had finished, I said to him, “We used to say, while the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ was still alive, the best of the Ummah of the Messenger of Allāh after him is Abū Bakr, then ʿUmar, then ʿUthmān. And by Allāh, we do not know that ʿUthmān has ever killed anyone without right or committed any major sin; but it is an issue of this wealth [with you people]: if he gives you, you are happy, and if he gives to his kin, you are angry. You only want to be like the Persians and Romans, who leave no leader of theirs without killing him.”
Then his eyes filled with tears and he said, “O Allāh, we do not want this.”

Imām Aḥmad, Faḍāʾil Al-Ṣaḥābah, article 64

azc
03-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Never seek your needs from one who does not love to see your success.

(Rawdatul ‘Uqala, pg.83)

azc
03-26-2018, 12:45 PM
Ayyūb Al-Sakhtiyānī reports that Abū Qilābah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

O Ayyūb, when Allāh brings about knowledge for you, bring about worship of him, and do not let your [sole] concern be to narrate it.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm, article 1279

azc
03-26-2018, 02:06 PM
It is reported that the inscription on the ring of Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī – Allāh be pleased with them – read:

You know, so now act (علِمت فاعمل).

Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm, article 1280

azc
03-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Imaam Ibn Juzayy al-Kalbi رحمه الله states that the key to attaining taqwa revolves around ten matters. If a person takes these matters seriously the result should be a true taqwa in his heart:

1) Fear of punishment in the Hereafter;

2) Fear of punishment in this world;

3) Hope for reward in the Hereafter;

4) Hope for reward in this world;

5) Fearing the reckoning and accounting of one's deeds;

6) Feeling shameful that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى should see one performing deeds that are displeasing to Him;

7) Being thankful and feeling grateful for all of the bounties that Allaah سبحانه و تعالى has bestowed on the person;

8) The true knowledge of reality, of Allaah سبحانه و تعالى, His names and attributes, as Allaah سبحانه و تعالى says,

"And of men and ad-Dawaab (moving living creatures, beasts, etc.), and cattle, in like manner of various colours. It is only those who have knowledge among His slaves that fear Allaah. Verily, Allaah is All-Mighty, Oft-Forgiving." (Soorah Faatir, 35:28)

9) Having a great deal of respect for the greatness of Allaah سبحانه و تعالى;

10) Being sincere and truthful in one's love for Allaah سبحانه و تعالى.

[Imaam Ibn Juzayy al-Kalbi رحمه الله, vol. 1, p. 36 as quoted in Shaykh Jamaaluddeen Zarabozo حفظه الله, Commentary on the Forty Hadeeth of Imam An-Nawawi رحمه الله, vol. 1, p. 584]

azc
03-27-2018, 06:36 PM
Hz Ali RA said:

“Love your beloved moderately, perhaps someday you will hate/dislike him, hate whom you hate moderately, perhaps he becomes your beloved someday.”

(Sunan Tirmidhi, Hadith: 1997, Al Adabul Mufrad, Hadith: 1321, Sharhus Sunnah, under Hadith: 3481 and Mizanul I’tidal, vol. 2 pg. 233, -number: 3452)

azc
03-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Imam Abu Bakr Al Warraq Al Balkhi (rahimahullah) said:

شهر رجب شهر الزرع و شهر شعبان شهر السقي للزرع و شهر رمضان شهر حصاد الزرع

“Rajab is the month to sow the seeds. Sha’ban is the month to irrigate the crop and Ramadan is the month to reap the harvest.”

(Lataiful Ma’arif, pg. 218)

azc
03-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Imaam Maalik (rahimahullah) would say, “Arguing and quarrelling in the knowledge of Deen causes the noor of knowledge to be lost from the hearts of the servants.”

Imaam Maalik (rahimahullah) was once asked, “If a person has been blessed with the knowledge of the Sunnah, should he argue in defense of the Sunnah when he sees people opposing it?” Imaam Maalik (rahimahullah) replied, “No! However, he should inform people of the Sunnah. If they accept what he says, then well and good, and if not, then he should remain silent (and refrain from arguing with them).”

(Ad-Deebaaj-ul-Muzahhab 1/115)

azc
03-30-2018, 12:29 PM
Ibrāhīm b. Adham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Whoever seeks knowledge sincerely, for the servants of Allāh to benefit by and to benefit himself, then being hidden (from fame) is more beloved to him than seeking loftiness. He is the one who becomes more lowly to himself, strives more in worship, fears Allāh more, yearns for Allāh more, and becomes more humble amongst people. He cares not what he has of this dunyā night or day.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān article 1653.

azc
03-31-2018, 11:32 AM
Abdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

The victim of theft might continue to suspect and conjecture [about who stole from him] until he becomes worse [in sin] than the thief.

Al-Adab Al-Mufrad no. 1289

azc
04-01-2018, 05:17 AM
عن وهب بن كيسان، قال: كتب إلي عبد الله بن الزبير بموعظة: أما بعد فإن لأهل التقوى علامات يعرفون بها ويعرفونها من أنفسهم من صبر على البلاء ورضى بالقضاء وشكر النعماء وذل لحكم القرآن

Wahb ibn Kaysan (rahimahullah) says:”Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Zubayr (radiyallahu ‘anhu) once wrote to me some advice, There are certain signs/characteristics that those with taqwa possess with which they are recognised and they too know that they possess these qualities;

1.Patience when afflicted with a calamity
2.Happiness with Allah’s decree
3.Gratitude and shukr for all of Allah’s bounties
4.Complete submissiveness to the laws of the Quran

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 1 pg. 336, Kitabuz Zuhd of Imam Abu Dawud, Hadith: 391)

azc
04-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Ash-Shâfi‘î (rahimahullâh) said,

“Whoever spread gossip for you spreads gossip against you. Whoever relates tales to you will tell tales about you. Whoever when you please him says about you what is not in you, when you anger him will say about you what is not in you.”

Al Zuhd Al Kabir p100

azc
04-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Mutarrif ibn ‘Abdillah ibn Shikkhir (rahimahullah) said:

إِنَّ أَحَبَّ عِبَادِ اللَّهِ إِلَى اللَّهِ الشَّكُورُ الصَّابِرُ الَّذِي إِذَا ابْتُلِيَ صَبَرَ وَإِذَا أُعْطِيَ شَكَر

The most beloved servants in the sight of Allah are those who are very grateful and patient. When they are tested the adopt patience and when they are bestowed [with a bounty] they are grateful

(Az Zuhd, Hadith: 1334)

azc
04-03-2018, 06:30 PM
‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab ra said:

“Whoever decorates himself by displaying to the people some characteristics that Allaah knows are contrary to his real characteristics, will be disgraced and dishonoured by Allaah.”

[Ad-Daaraqutnee, 4/207]

azc
04-05-2018, 02:59 AM
Sayyiduna ‘Umar (radiyallahu’anhu) said:

تواضعوا لمن تعلمون منه

Be humble towards those from whom you learn

(Faydul Qadir, Hadith: 3381, Majma’uz zawaid, vol.1 pg.129 and Sharhul Ihya, vol.8 pg.27)

azc
04-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Al-Hasan Al-Basree ra said:

“To endure short-lived difficulties that are followed by long lasting ease, is better than hurrying for a short-lived ease that is followed by ever-lasting hardship.”

[Al-Hilyah, 2/134]

azc
04-07-2018, 06:13 PM
وعن عبد الله بن مسعود رضي الله عنه قال إني لأحسب الرجل ينسى العلم كما تعلمه للخطيئة يعملها رواه الطبراني موقوفا من رواية القاسم بن عبد الرحمن بن عبد الله عن جده عبد الله ولم يسمع منه ورواته ثقات )الترغيب والترهيب 1/176(

Hazrat Abdullah bin Mas’ood (Radhiyallahu Anhu) says: “I certainly feel that a person’s forgetting some knowledge of Deen after learning it is due to a sin that he had committed.”

azc
04-08-2018, 09:28 AM
Imaam Adh-Dhahabi rh said:

“May Allaah have mercy over the person who speaks little, reads the Quraan, weeps over his lost time, constantly gazes into Bukhari and Musilm, and worships Allaah before he is surprised by death.”

[At-Tadhkirah, 2/80]

azc
04-08-2018, 06:25 PM
Imaam Ahmad rh said:

“The Companions of the Messenger of Allaah (saw) – after the four caliphs – are the best of the people, and it is not permissible for anyone to … speak ill of any of them, blaming them for deficiencies and shortcomings. It is indeed obligatory upon the ruler to reprimand and punish whoever does that, and he should not be pardoned.”

[Kitaab As-Sunnah, p. 77-78 & Manaaqibul Imaam Ahmad, of Ibnul Jawzee, p. 170]

azc
04-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Imaam Al-Awzaa’ee rh (d.157) said:

“Make yourself patient upon the Sunnah, stop where the people stopped, speak with what they spoke with, and refrain from what they refrained from. And follow the path of your Righteous Predecessors (Salafus Saaliheen) for verily, sufficient for you is that which was sufficient for them.”

[Related in Ash-Sharee’ah, by Al-Aajurree, p. 58]

azc
04-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Imam Sufyan ibn ‘Uyaynah (rahimahullah) said:

Those who hardly sin, fear Allah ‘Azza Wa Jalla the most, for their hearts are the cleanest

(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 934)

azc
04-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Amirul Mu’minin Sayyiduna ‘Uthman ibn ‘Affan (radiyallahu ‘anhu) said:

“If our hearts were pure, we would never have enough of the word of Allah (the Quran). Verily I detest that a day goes by in which I have not looked at the Mushaf (the Quran).”

(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 2031, Al Asma Was Sifat, Hadith: 557)

azc
04-18-2018, 04:50 PM
Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (radiyallahu ‘anhuma) said:

من اتقى ربه ووصل رحمه نسئ له في عمره وثرا ماله وأحبه أهله

‘Whoever fears his Rabb and joins ties, his lifespan will increase, his wealth will grow and his family will love him’

(Musannaf Ibn Abi Shaybah, Hadith: 25900 and Al Adabul Mufrad, Hadith: 58/59)

azc
04-19-2018, 08:11 PM
Luqman Al-Hakeem actually advised his own son with the same:

“O my son! Sit in the company of the ‘Ulama and stick your knees to theirs, for Allah revives the hearts with the wisdom (acquired from them) just as he revives barren land with the rain”

(Jami’u Bayanil ‘ilm; ma’alim Irshadiyyah, pg.164)

azc
04-20-2018, 07:38 AM
When ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (radiyallahu ‘anhu) would see youngsters going out in the search of knowledge, he would say,

“Welcome O springs/fountains of wisdom, [you are] lanterns of the dark, wearing simple/tattered clothing, softhearted, [clinging to your homes] and beautiful fragrance amidst all people”

كان عبد الله بن مسعود إذا رأى الشباب يطلبون العلم قال: ” مرحبا بكم ينابيع الحكمة، ومصابيح الظلمة، خلقان الثياب، جدد القلوب، حلس البيوت، ريحان كل قبيلة

(Shu’abul Iman, Hadith: 1600. Also see Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 1 pg. 77)

azc
04-20-2018, 05:59 PM
كان علي إذا ذكر عنده أبو بكر قال: السباق يذكرون السباق قال: والذي نفسي بيده ما استبقنا إلى خير قط
إلا سبقنا إليه أبو بكر

When Sayyiduna Abu Bakr (radiyallahu ‘anhu) was mentioned in the presence of Sayyiduna ‘Ali (radiyallahu ‘anhu) he would say:
“You are discussing the forerunner, I take an oath in that being in whose control is my life, whenever we tried to compete with Abu Bakr he always outdid us”

(Al Mu’jamul Awsat, Hadith: 7164. Refer: Majma’uz Zawaid, vol. 9 pg. 46)

azc
04-22-2018, 03:28 AM
Hazrath Luqman (A.S.) was granted great wisdom by Allah Ta'ala. He once said to his son:

"My dear son, avoid incurring debts, for a debt is a humiliation by day (when the creditors make demands) and grief by night (when you cannot sleep worrying about how you will pay it).

My dear son, entertain hopes of mercy from Allah Ta'ala, but let not your hopes make you bold in committing sins; be fearful of Allah Ta'ala but let not your fear make you despair of His mercy.

My dear son, if somebody complains to you that so-and-so has taken out both his eyes and you can actually see his eyes missing, do not form any judgement about the person until you have heard the other side of the story. It is possible that the one complaining may have hit the other person first and taken out his eyes earlier"

(Fazaa'il -e-Sadaqaat).

azc
04-23-2018, 02:27 AM
Muatta imam malik
Chapter no: 9, Shortening the Prayer hadees, hadis, hadith
97 Hadiths In This Chapter. Page 10 Of 10
Hadith no: 91

Narrated / Authority Of:
Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said that Abdullah ibn Masud said to a certain man,"You are in a time when men of understanding (fuqaha) are many and Qur'an reciters are few, when the limits of behaviour defined in the Qur'an are guarded and its letters are lost, when few people ask and many give, when they make the prayer long and the khutba short, and put their actions before their desires. A time will come upon men when their fuqaha are few but their Qur'an reciters are many, when the letters of the Qur'an are guarded carefully but its limits are lost, when many ask but few give, when they make the khutba long but the prayer short, and put their desires before their actions."

azc
04-23-2018, 05:34 PM
‘Ataa’ Sulami (rahimahullah) narrates the following:

I was once passing through the alleys of Kufah when I saw ‘Alyaan laughing at a doctor. As it was well known that ‘Alyaan never laughed, I became intrigued and drew closer. As I approached, I asked him why he was laughing. ‘Alyaan replied, “I am laughing at this doctor who is treating the illnesses of others, despite the fact that he is himself fatally ill.” Hearing this, I asked ‘Alyaan, “Do you know of any medication that can save him from his illness?” “Yes!” he replied, “I know of a medication which is such that if it is administered to him, I hope that he will recover.” “What is the formula of this medication?” I prompted. On my request, ‘Alyaan proceeded to prescribe the following:

1. A few leaves from the tree of poverty

2. The root of the tree of sabr (patience, forbearance and steadfastness)

3. Fruit from the tree of humility

4. Fruit from the tree of ma’rifat (recognition of Allah Ta‘ala)

5. The ingredient of pondering over one’s condition

Using the mortar and pestle (or the grinding stone) of grief and regret over one’s sins, crush the above ingredients into a fine paste. Thereafter place the paste into the pan of taqwa and pour some of the water of hayaa into the mixture. Using the firewood of Allah Ta‘ala’s love, light a fire beneath the pan and boil the mixture until it begins to froth. Once the mixture is prepared, empty it into the bottle of always remaining pleased over the decision of Allah Ta‘ala. Thereafter, cool the mixture by fanning it with the fan of the praise of Allah Ta‘ala. Finally, take this medication consistently, by pouring a little into the cup of concern over one’s state and condition, and by swallowing it using the spoon of repentance. If this medication is taken regularly, there is hope that the person will never again fall into the illness of disobeying Allah Ta‘ala.

(Taareekh Ibni ‘Asaakir, vol. 41, pg. 524)

azc
04-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Fudayl ibn ‘Iyad (rahimahullah) said:

azc
04-24-2018, 03:57 PM
وعن علي رضي الله عنه أنه ذكر فتنا تكون في آخر الزمان فقال له عمر متى ذلك يا علي قال إذا تفقه لغير الدين وتعلم العلم لغير العمل والتمست الدنيا بعمل الآخرة رواه عبد الرزاق أيضا في كتابه موقوفا )الترغيب والترهيب 1/157(

On one occasion Hazrat Ali (Radhiyallahu Anhu) mentioned the fitnahs that will occur at the end of time (before Qiyaamah). Hazrat Umar (Radhiyallahu Anhu) then enquired from him: “O Ali, at which time will these fitnahs break out in the ummah?” Hazrat Ali (Radhiyallahu Anhu) replied: “At the time when people will learn Fiqh (acquire the knowledge of Deen) for reasons other than Deen (i.e. for worldly motives); when people will acquire the knowledge of Deen without the intention of practicing on it; and when the actions of the Aakhirat will be done for the purpose of acquiring the wealth of this world.”

azc
04-25-2018, 04:02 AM
Hz Ali RA said:

إن أخوف ما أخاف عليكم اثنتان: اتباع الهوى، وطول الأمل، فأما اتباع الهوى: فيصد عن الحق، وأما طول الأمل: فينسي الآخرة، ألا وإن الآخرة قد ارتحلت مقبلة، ألا وإن الدنيا قد ارتحلت مدبرة، ولكل واحد منهما بنون، فكونوا من أبناء الآخرة، ولا تكونوا من أبناء الدنيا، فإن اليوم عمل ولا حساب، وغدا حساب ولا عمل

Among the things I fear most for you are; following your desires and having lengthy aspirations. Following desires averts you from the truth. Having lengthy aspirations causes you to forget the Hereafter. Certainly the hereafter is advancing and this world is retreating. Each of them has sons. Be among the sons of the Hereafter and do not be among the sons of this world. Today there is action without reckoning and tomorrow there will be reckoning and no action.”

(Kitabu Qasril Amal, Hadith: 49, Sahih Bukhari, before Hadith: 6417)

azc
04-25-2018, 12:53 PM
Imam Shafi’i (rahimahullah) said:

ليس العلم ما حفظ، العلم ما نفع

Knowledge is not what has been memorised, rather true knowledge is that which is beneficial

(Hilyatul Awliya, vol. 9 pg. 123 and Al Madkhal ila ‘Ilmis Sunan, Hadith: 1623)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.