/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 38.44 Beat Who?

Malsidabym
04-08-2006, 09:02 PM
38.44 And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with It and do not break your oath; surely We found him patient; most excellent the servant! Surely he was frequent m returning (to Allah).
What does this verse mean? Who is to be beaten?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
04-08-2006, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malsidabym
What does this verse mean? Who is to be beaten?
If you read the context the verse is in, you will see that it is referring to the story of Prophet Ayub (Job). He fell ill and suffered from a crippling disease for seven years, during which time everyone abandoned him except his wife. At one point his wife lost her patience and complained about their terrible situation asking Ayub to ask Allah to remove the affliction. Ayub pbuh pointed out that he had had good health for 80 years, so he felt ashamed to ask God to remove an affliction he had only had for seven years and he was upset by his wife's weakening of faith and vowed to punish her with 100 strokes if he regained his health. But when God did cure Prophet Ayyub he had no intention of hurting his wife nor breaking his oath to God. So God inspired him "take in your hand a bundle of thin grass and strike therewith your wife [once], and break not your oath." (38:44)

I hope that clarifies. Btw, the translation you have is not accurate.

Regards

Malsidabym
04-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Thank you for the information.

Malaikah
04-09-2006, 07:05 AM
:sl:

Thanks for that good explanation, mashaallah ayyub's is a great story.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malsidabym
04-11-2006, 08:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
Btw, the translation you have is not accurate.
The translation was by Mohammad Habib Shakir, (1866, Cairo–1939, Cairo)who is a well known translator of the Qur'an into english. Is this guy not a reputable scholar?

------
04-11-2006, 08:16 AM
I would recommend "Ibn Kathir" as he is one of the most rspectable and well known for his translations :D

Malsidabym
04-11-2006, 08:18 AM
But I heard that M.H. Shakir was a respected scholar.

------
04-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Maybe he is. I don't know I havent heard of him. Inshallah I will look later. I have to go am in college now :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi Malsidabym,
The translation was by Mohammad Habib Shakir, (1866, Cairo–1939, Cairo)who is a well known translator of the Qur'an into english. Is this guy not a reputable scholar?
Definitely not.

I've listed two good translations of the Qur'an in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...resources.html

If you cannot get one of those, then the best thing is to simply look at multiple translations.

Peace!

Malsidabym
04-11-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi Malsidabym,

Definitely not.

I've listed two good translations of the Qur'an in this thread:
http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...resources.html

If you cannot get one of those, then the best thing is to simply look at multiple translations.

Peace!
Hi Anser,
Not to caste doubt on your opinion, but what do you base this opinion on? Why is this guy not respected like the two you suggest?

afriend
04-11-2006, 01:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
I would recommend "Ibn Kathir" as he is one of the most rspectable and well known for his translations :D
The best one around!!!

I will definately put him at the top of my list!!

May Allah have mercy upon him!

Cheb
04-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I know you dont understand Arabic but if you did, and read the Arabic text, then looked at the two translations provided by you and bro Ansar, then you would realize that the one bro Ansar provided was actually much clearer and more accurate.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-11-2006, 02:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
yea ibn khatir, alhamdullilah i love that bro!!!

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Hi Anser,
Not to caste doubt on your opinion, but what do you base this opinion on? Why is this guy not respected like the two you suggest?
For a number of reasons, Mal. First of all, the translation itself has been described as nothing more than "blatant plagiarism" of a previous Qadiani translator, and there are doubts as to who "M. H. Shakir" is. Secondly, there are the obvious mistakes and inaccuracies in the translation as well. For example, in the verse you quoted, it seems as though Shakir is ignorant of the tafseer of this verse and the basic story of Prophet Ayub, because he translated "bundle of thin grass" as "green branch" - obviously the two are not the same. Beating someone with a green branch conveys a completely different meaning from striking someone with a bundle of thin grass to fullfil one's oath but not cause harm.

As I said before, the best thing for you to do is simply to look at multiple translations of a verse - some are more reliable than others.

Regards

Malsidabym
04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
For a number of reasons, Mal. First of all, the translation itself has been described as nothing more than "blatant plagiarism" of a previous Qadiani translator, and there are doubts as to who "M. H. Shakir" is. Secondly, there are the obvious mistakes and inaccuracies in the translation as well. For example, in the verse you quoted, it seems as though Shakir is ignorant of the tafseer of this verse and the basic story of Prophet Ayub, because he translated "bundle of thin grass" as "green branch" - obviously the two are not the same. Beating someone with a green branch conveys a completely different meaning from striking someone with a bundle of thin grass to fullfil one's oath but not cause harm.

As I said before, the best thing for you to do is simply to look at multiple translations of a verse - some are more reliable than others.

Regards
Thanks again.

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks again.
You're most welcome. :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.