/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quran versions

Malsidabym
04-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Recently I was looking for a specific verse and found no less than three versions of the same verse in minutes. Also, when I presented one on the forum, a muslim member said I had a "translation that was not accurate"(translation was by Mohammad Habib Shakir, (1866, Cairo–1939, Cairo)who is a well known translator of the Qur'an into English). So it is safe to say that there are different versions of the Quran. This is the same as the Bible, these are the same kinds of differences you find in the bible. Different words that have the same meaning. I have heard it asked "why the different versions of the bible?" Well, to make it easier to understand as english language evolves. Why the different versions of the Quran?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
04-11-2006, 08:13 AM
So it is safe to say that there are different versions of the Quran.
Erm..........then again......... NO! :heated:

Why the different versions of the Quran?
There is only one version of the Qur'an.

Some people interpret it differently.

That is why you should NEVER rely JUST on the online Qur'ans on different sites as they cannot be that accurate.

I suggest You go out and buy a Qur'an with english meanings as Inshallah that will be right.

Peace :peace:

Malsidabym
04-11-2006, 08:15 AM
The translation was by Mohammad Habib Shakir, (1866, Cairo–1939, Cairo)who is a well known translator of the Qur'an into english. Is this guy not a reputable scholar?

------
04-11-2006, 08:17 AM
I would recommend Ibn Kathir as he is a well known person and respectable for his work :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
jello
04-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I do not understand why the Christians and others keep on saying taht different translations mean different versions.

This has been discvussed so many times, I sense a total block on part of the Kuffar who keep on repeating this same thing.

And no, the Bible's case is very different, since it is not a mere matter of translation... ;D

Ghazi
04-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Salaam

It's just the translation, the verses mean the same the wording might be diffrent but this is done to a transaltion, the arabic quran is the same world-wide.

------
04-11-2006, 11:15 AM
the arabic quran is the same world-wide.
Yeppppppp :D

j4763
04-11-2006, 11:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth
Salaam

It's just the translation, the verses mean the same the wording might be diffrent but this is done to a transaltion, the arabic quran is the same world-wide.
Well if the wording is different then surly some will interpret it differently?

Ghazi
04-11-2006, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by j4763
Salaam

No, the words used are going to give the same meaning, for instance If me and you both witnessed an event and we had to write a report, would we say the same thing but I doubt we'll use the same words.

azim
04-11-2006, 11:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malsidabym
Recently I was looking for a specific verse and found no less than three versions of the same verse in minutes. Also, when I presented one on the forum, a muslim member said I had a "translation that was not accurate"(translation was by Mohammad Habib Shakir, (1866, Cairo–1939, Cairo)who is a well known translator of the Qur'an into English). So it is safe to say that there are different versions of the Quran. This is the same as the Bible, these are the same kinds of differences you find in the bible. Different words that have the same meaning. I have heard it asked "why the different versions of the bible?" Well, to make it easier to understand as english language evolves. Why the different versions of the Quran?
This is a valid question.

The difference between the Bible and the Quran is that the Bible has no authorative original manuscript to which it can refer.

The Quran has only one Arabic version - yet from that Arabic many translations have emerged for non-Arab speakers. Although this leads to different versions - the original Quran is still in Arabic and can be easily reffered to.

It is obligatory (the view of some scholars) to learn Arabic if you are a Muslim to understand the true intended message of the Quran which really can only be conveyed through the Arabic.

There is no 'accurate' translation of the Quran in English (or any other language for that matter). If one translations tries to capture the beautiful poetic nature of the Quran, it will severely lose out in trying to convey the message of the verses. Likewise, if it tries to capture the message, often the verses get convulated and you lose out on the poetic and straightforward nature of the original Arabic Quran.

I hope that makes sense. Peace.

j4763
04-11-2006, 12:20 PM
No, the words used are going to give the same meaning, for instance If me and you both witnessed an event and we had to write a report, would we say the same thing but I doubt we'll use the same words.
Yes i see what you mean :)

The difference between the Bible and the Quran is that the Bible has no authorative original manuscript to which it can refer.

The Quran has only one Arabic version - yet from that Arabic many translations have emerged for non-Arab speakers. Although this leads to different versions - the original Quran is still in Arabic and can be easily reffered to.

It is obligatory (the view of some scholars) to learn Arabic if you are a Muslim to understand the true intended message of the Quran which really can only be conveyed through the Arabic.

There is no 'accurate' translation of the Quran in English (or any other language for that matter). If one translations tries to capture the beautiful poetic nature of the Quran, it will severely lose out in trying to convey the message of the verses. Likewise, if it tries to capture the message, often the verses get convulated and you lose out on the poetic and straightforward nature of the original Arabic Quran.

I hope that makes sense. Peace.
So for one to truly understand the Quran (and Islam) one must learn Arabic. There are many Muslims in the world who cant speak Arabic, so do they not know the "true" Quran (unless told second hand buy someone who can read Arabic)?

Malsidabym
04-11-2006, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jello
I do not understand why the Christians and others keep on saying taht different translations mean different versions.

This has been discvussed so many times, I sense a total block on part of the Kuffar who keep on repeating this same thing.

And no, the Bible's case is very different, since it is not a mere matter of translation... ;D
We then have something in common, as I also sense a total block on the part of infidel like yourself that continue to insist that different translations of the bible means differen't versions.:?

jello
04-11-2006, 01:56 PM
:sl: for the Muslims

I fail to see how whole verses and books of the Bible being expunged year in and year out in different languages by different churches can be blamed on "differences in translation" or any other such lame excuse!!! :giggling: ;D

IbnAbdulHakim
04-11-2006, 02:04 PM
:sl:

Quran has different translations!
The arabic version of the Quran can NEVER be changed! The memorised Quran in the hearts of millions of muslims will see to that!

Quran has different translations, however not versions :)

:w:

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Hello Malsidabym,
Recently I was looking for a specific verse and found no less than three versions of the same verse in minutes.
There is only one version of the verse, and that is this:

There may be multiple translations of the above verse, but the verse is the same. I'll answer your translation questions in the other thread.

Peace!

Abu Zakariya
04-11-2006, 03:48 PM
The arabic Qur'an is the same.
However, someone may translate a particular verse using different words than another translator.
To compare this to the fact that Protestants and Catholics, for instance, don't have the same amount of books in their Bibles and don't believe certain verses to be part of the Bible is really strange.

To recap:
Qur'an: one original version, different translations to English, translators use their own words.
Bible: Christians disagree about what is to be considered the Bible.

extinction
04-11-2006, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jello

word up!!!!!!!!!!

------
04-11-2006, 03:53 PM
The wording is the same in the Qur'an.

Mohsin
04-11-2006, 04:48 PM
So for one to truly understand the Quran (and Islam) one must learn Arabic. There are many Muslims in the world who cant speak Arabic, so do they not know the "true" Quran (unless told second hand buy someone who can read Arabic)?
Hi

Not necessarily

I don't know arabic, but i've read many books in english explaining the qur'an, and there are numerous commentaries in the qur'an. I think the only thing non-arabs lose out on is the miracle of the language, which even today is making arab-speaking christians,who hear the qur'an being recited on the TV, revert to Islam. It's meant to be so pure and perfect, that's what is motivating me to learn it right now

Skillganon
04-11-2006, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moss
Hi

Not necessarily

I don't know arabic, but i've read many books in english explaining the qur'an, and there are numerous commentaries in the qur'an. I think the only thing non-arabs lose out on is the miracle of the language, which even today is making arab-speaking christians,who hear the qur'an being recited on the TV, revert to Islam. It's meant to be so pure and perfect, that's what is motivating me to learn it right now
Hey, what's the best english translation of the Quran?

------
04-11-2006, 05:34 PM
A Translation by Ibn Kathir

Skillganon
04-11-2006, 05:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pagal Kuri
A Translation by Ibn Kathir
Is that available free online?

And does everyone agree that is the best translation.

What about the MODS here? Do you guy's agree!

I read some of Pikhtall's and Yusaf ali Translation.

sheerheart1
04-11-2006, 06:06 PM
We then have something in common, as I also sense a total block on the part of infidel like yourself that continue to insist that different translations of the bible means differen't versions.:?
:sl: :sister: :rollseyes
well lets see NOT ONE VERSE OF THE NOBLE QURAAN HAS BEEN TAKEN AWAY BUT THE BIBLE HAS HAD MANY VERSES TAKEN AWAY AND ADDED BACK IN TO IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY ARE SO PICKY:giggling: CHOOSING WHAT THEY LIKE AND THROWING OUT WHEN THEY LIKE I AM SURE IREAD WHEN I WAS A CHRISTAIN THE WORDS NO WORD IS TO BE TAKEN AWAY AND NONE ADDED:skeleton: OPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSS

Ansar Al-'Adl
04-11-2006, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
And does everyone agree that is the best translation.

What about the MODS here? Do you guy's agree!
It is not a translation. Ibn Kathir was a scholar from almost seven centuries ago, and he wrote a tafseer (commentary) on the Qur'an. That commentary has been translated into english by Darussalam publications (available in 10 volumes) but for the translation of the Qur'anic verses they just used the Hilali-Khan translation.

So there is no such thing as a translation by Ibn Kathir, he wrote a tafseer, not a translation.

As for the best translations, you can find them listed here:
http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...resources.html

:w:

sheerheart1
04-11-2006, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
I read some of Pikhtall's and Yusaf ali Translation.
WELL I THINK THESE ARE MASHA'ALLAH VERY EXCELLENT TRANSLATIONS BY THESE TWO SCHOLARS I HAVE ONE YUSAF ALI AND ONE BY PIKH:sister: TALL

sheerheart1
04-11-2006, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Moss
Hi

Not necessarily

ARABIC IS A SWEET LANNGUAGE JUST WISH I WOULD LEARN MORE WORDS:? BUT ITRY EVERY DAY TO LEARN A NEW WORD( i dont have much choice everyone speaks arabic here )lol:rollseyes :giggling: :hiding: <<<<<<<<<this is me hitting my head

Abu Zakariya
04-11-2006, 07:20 PM
The tafsir by ibn Kathir is available here:

http://www.tafsir.com

------
04-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Ibn Kathir, he wrote a tafseer
Thats what I meant.

*Hana*
04-12-2006, 04:06 AM
Peace:

Man, why is this so hard to understand?? :?

Different translations: Lets take the word "Hello" Translated into French, "Bonjour"; Russian, Privet or Zrasvoydia. Ok, TWO translations for the english word "Hello". However, notice in Russian I have used 2 words, both are a greeting, both used as "Hello", both are correct. "Privet" is the most common, whereas "Zrasvoydia" is normally used between strangers as they pass. Regardless, both are a greeting of "hello" in translation and both are correct.

Book Versions: The Qur'an, versions: The Qur'an with many translations to other languages.
The Bible, versions: (Many with translations into other languages)
Ferrar Fenton Bible 1853
Quaker Bible 1764
Thomson's Translation 1808
Webster's Revision 1833
Young's Literal Translation 1862
Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible 1830
Brenton's English Translation of the Septuagint 1851
Julia E. Smith Parker Translation 1876
Revised Version 1895
Darby Bible 1890
American King James Version 1999
21st Century King James Version 1991
Green's Modern King James Version
New King James Version 1982
Restored Name King James Version
New International Version 1978
New International Reader's Version
New International Version, Anglicized Edition
Today's New International Version 2005
New International Version Inclusive Language Edition (NIVI)
American Standard Version 1901
Revised Standard Version 1952
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition 1966
New American Standard Bible 1971
New Revised Standard Version 1989
Recovery Version 1999
English Standard Version 2001
World English Bible 2006?
Good News Bible 1976
New English Bible 1970
Revised English Bible 1989
The Living Bible 1971
New Living Translation 1996
The Message 2002
Confraternity Bible 1941
Knox Knox's Translation of the Vulgate 1955
Jerusalem Bible 1966
New Jerusalem Bible 1985
New American Bible 1970

Over time there have been 450 versions of the Bible produced. The ones listed above are just a few. There is only ONE Qur'an and has only ever been ONE Qur'an.

I hope you now understand the difference in translations and versions.

Peace,
Hana

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.