PDA

View Full Version : We are not required to wear Hijab- please help me refute



Medina83
04-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I am a revert. My parents are going mad because i'm wearing hijab. They say I'm not obliged to do it and that God doesn't say we have to cover our hair only our bosoms and beauty and that this is mistranslated into hair.

I've posted in the verses from Qur'an...please help me with convincing arguments to refute their claims because my speech is obviously not good enough no matter how I try to explain.

Also they say because i'm not muslim by birth i'm not required to wear it but i know this is untrue. Please help me show them that we must do it!

024.030
YUSUFALI: Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.
PICKTHAL: Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest. That is purer for them. Lo! Allah is aware of what they do.
SHAKIR: Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah is Aware of what they do.

024.031
YUSUFALI: And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss.
PICKTHAL: And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed.
SHAKIR: And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms, and not display their ornaments except to their husbands or their fathers, or the fathers of their husbands, or their sons, or the sons of their husbands, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or those whom their right hands possess, or the male servants not having need (of women), or the children who have not attained knowledge of what is hidden of women; and let them not strike their feet so that what they hide of their ornaments may be known; and turn to Allah all of you, O believers! so that you may be successful.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FatimaAsSideqah
04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
:sl:

The Qur'an advises the wives of the Prophet (SAS) to go veiled (33: 59).

The Qur'an lays down the principle of the law of modesty. In Surah 24: An-Nur: 30 and 31, modesty is enjoined both upon Muslim men and Muslim women 4:

Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for Greater purity for them: And God is Well-acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women That they should lower their gaze And guard their modesty: and they should not display beauty and ornaments expect what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that They must draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, or their women, or their slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their ornaments.

One of the verses in the Qur'an protects a woman's fundamental rights. Aya 59 from Sura al-Ahzab reads:

O Prophet! Tell Thy wives And daughters, and the Believing women, that They should cast their Outer garments over Their Persons (when outside): That they should be known (As such) and not Molested.

Although this verse is directed in the first place to the Prophet's "wives and daughters", there is a reference also to "the believing women" hence it is generally understood by Muslim societies as applying to all Muslim women. According to the Qur'an the reason why Muslim women should wear an outer garment when going out of their houses is so that they may be recognized as "believing" Muslim women and differentiated from street-walkers for whom sexual harassment is an occupational hazard. The purpose of this verse was not to confine women to their houses but to make it safe for them to go about their daily business without attracting unwholesome attention. By wearing the outer garment a "believing" Muslim woman could be distinguished from the others. In societies where there is no danger of "believing" Muslim being confused with the others or in which "the outer garment" is unable to function as a mark of identification for "believing" Muslim women, the mere wearing of "the outer garment" would not fulfill the true objective of the Qur'anic decree. For example that older Muslim women who are "past the prospect of marriage" are not required to wear "the outer garment". Surah 24: An-Nur, Aya 60 reads:

Such elderly women are past the prospect of marriage,-- There is no blame on them, if they lay aside their (outer) garments, provided they make not wanton display of their beauty; but it is best for them to be modest: and Allah is One who sees and knows all things.

:w:
Reply

Medina83
04-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Salam Aleikum, thanks for reply but I posted that verse myself. The point they are making is 'it doesn't mention hair, and doesn't it just mean loose clothing....'
Reply

IbnAbdulHakim
04-11-2007, 04:01 PM
:salamext:

www.islamqa.com

do a search for hijaabs sis, you'll get tons of refutations :) inshaAllah
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
FatimaAsSideqah
04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
:sl:

Simply things to do is you can ask Imam in the internet online..you can click the link above the post by brother..:thumbs_up


:w:
Reply

Medina83
04-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Ok I looked at the link, the evidence it provides are that niqab is obligatory not just hijab.

So I am still doing wrong then just wearing hijab?

I can't provide this as evidence to them unless I wear niqab and it was hard enough to put on the hijab , I don't think I can manage niqab :cry:
Reply

- Qatada -
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
:salamext:


Sister, try checking this link inshaa Allaah [and also the links at the bottom of it]:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544268


Don't overburden yourself.. even if you gota do it gradually, its much better than not doing it at all. May Allaah ease your affairs in this life and the herafter, ameen.
Reply

Medina83
04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Jazak Allah brother

I feel worse than ever now because i'm only wearing hijab and I thought i was doing good and now I find out its not even correct. I read a hadith about Muhammad (saws) saying to Aisha's relative that after puberty the only things that should be seen are the hands and face (he pointed to indicate this) so I thought hijab was ok and niqab was just recommended more.

And i don't think i'll ever manage niqab.

So I can't even defend myself against my family with quotations and quranic or hadith proof.

May Allah give me patience , this is hard
Reply

Al-Zaara
04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Asselamu aleykum,

Some madhab say it is obligatory, others say it's a recommendation. :)
Reply

FatimaAsSideqah
04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
:sl:

I am so sorry for you..is there any mosques in your area? If so, maybe you can go to discussing with Imam about your problem..He will, InshAllah, help you!

:w:
Reply

- Qatada -
04-11-2007, 04:48 PM
Asalaamu 'alykum.


If you click on this link, the scholars explain that even if someone is a revert - they still have to wear hijaab:

http://www.islamonline.net/livefatwa...GuestID=9t3PNc

http://www.islamonline.net/livedialo...GuestID=6k167a


Press CTRL and F and type hijab to find the fatwas related to the hijaab. The scholars state that its not for born muslims but for all muslims alike.

They also give tips/advice on how to wear it, even if its a gradual practise.. since that's better than not doing it ever.
Reply

FatimaAsSideqah
04-11-2007, 04:49 PM
:sl:

^:thumbs_up

:w:
Reply

NoName55
04-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Medina83
Jazak Allah brother

I feel worse than ever now because i'm only wearing hijab and I thought i was doing good and now I find out its not even correct. I read a hadith about Muhammad (saws) saying to Aisha's relative that after puberty the only things that should be seen are the hands and face (he pointed to indicate this) so I thought hijab was ok and niqab was just recommended more.

And i don't think i'll ever manage niqab.

So I can't even defend myself against my family with quotations and quranic or hadith proof.

May Allah give me patience , this is hard
:sl:
Hang in there Sister!

Hijaab is compulsory

Niqaab is prefered but not a requirement, it can cause fitna one way or the other.

do not take every half baked decree that you see on web as word of Allah or RasulAllah
:w:

do not forget, Islaam is easy remember to take it in steps

I try my best to keep away from sites like islamqa.com for I fear that they could pose danger to my eemaan
Reply

NoName55
04-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Home wwwislamicboardcom - Articles wwwislamicboardcom - Fiqh wwwislamicboardcom - The Face Veil
wwwislamicboardcom - wwwislamicboardcom - wwwislamicboardcom -
Written by Dr. Bilal Philips
Thursday, 06 July 2006

Article Index The Face Veil
Page 2
Page 3 Page 1 of 3
The following text is an edited translation of a summary of ar-Radd al-Mufhim by Shaykh Naasiruddeen al-Albaanee found in pages 5-20 of the introduction of his book Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 3rd edition, 1996, al-Maktabah al-Islaamiyyah.

The main errors of those who make the face veil obligatory

1. The interpretation of al-idnaa’ in the verse of the Jilbaab to mean “covering the face”.


This misinterpretation is contrary to the basic meaning of the word in Arabic which is “to come close”, as is mentioned in authoritative dictionaries like al-Mufradaat by the well-known scholar, ar-Raaghib al-Asbahaanee. However, there is sufficient evidence in the interpretation of the leading commentator on the Quran, Ibn ‘Abbaas, who explained the verse saying, “She should bring the jilbaab close to her face without covering it.” It should be noted that none of the narrations used as evidence to contradict this interpretation are authentic.


2. The interpretation of jilbaab as “a garment which covers the face.”

Like the previous misinterpretation, this interpretation has no basis linguistically. It is contrary to the interpretation of the leading scholars, past and present, who define the jilbaab as a garment which women drape over their head scarves (khimaar). Even Shaykh at-Tuwaijree himself narrated this interpretation from Ibn Mas‘ood and other Salafee scholars. Al-Baghawee mentioned it as the correct interpretation in his Tafseer (vol. 3, p. 518) saying, “It is the garment which a woman covers herself with worn above the dress (dir ‘) and the headscarf.” Ibn Hazm also said, “The jilbaab in the Arabic language in which the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) spoke to us is what covers the whole body and not just a part of it.” (vol. 3, p. 217). Al-Qurtubee declared this correct in his Tafseer and Ibn Katheer said, “It is the cloak worn above the headscarf.” (vol. 3, p. 518)


3. The claim that the khimaar (headscarf) covers the head and the face.

In doing so “the face” has been arbitrarily added to its meaning in order to make the verse: “Let them drape their headscarves over their busoms” appear to be in their favor, when, in fact it is not. The word khimaar linguistically means only a head covering. Whenever it is mentioned in general terms, this is what is intended. For example in the hadeeths on wiping (mas-h) on the khimaar and the prophetic statement, “The salaah of a woman past puberty will not be accepted without a khimaar.” This hadeeth confirms the invalidity of their misinterpretation, because not even the extremists themselves – much less the scholars – use it as evidence that the covering of a woman's face in salaah is a condition for its validity. They only use it as proof for covering the head. Furthermore, their interpretation of the verse of the Qawaa‘id “… to remove their clothing” to mean “jilbaab” further confirms it. They hold that it is permissible for old women to appear before marriagealbe males in her headscarf with her face exposed. One of their noteable scholars openly stated that. As for Shaykh at-Tuwaijree, he implied it without actually saying it.


After checking the opinions of the early and later scholars in all the specializations, I found that they unanimously hold that the khimaar is a head covering. I have mentioned the names of more than twenty scholars, among them some of the great Imaams and hadeeth scholars. For example, Abul-Waleed al-Baajee (d. 474 AH) who further added in his explanation, “Nothing should be seen of her besides the circle of her face.”


4. The claim of a consensus (Ijmaa‘) on the face being considered ‘awrah.

Shaykh at-Tuwaijree claimed that scholars unanimously held that the woman's face was ‘awrah and many who have no knowledge, including some Ph.D. holders, have blindly followed him. In fact, it is a false claim, which no one before him has claimed. The books of Hambalite scholars which he learned from, not to mention those of others, contain sufficient proof of its falsehood. I have mentioned many of their statements in Ar-Radd. For example, Ibn Hubayrah al-Hambalee stated in his book, al-Ifsaah, that the face is not considered ‘awrah in the three main schools of Islaamic law and he added, “It is also a narrated position of Imaam Ahmad.” Many Hambalite scholars preferred this narration in their books, like Ibn Qudaamah and others. Ibn Qudaamah in al-Mughnee explained the reason for his preference saying, “Because necessity demands that the face be uncovered for buying and selling, and the hands be uncovered for taking and giving.”


Among the Hambalite scholars, is the great Ibn Muflih al-Hambalee about whom Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah said, “There is no one under the dome of the sky more knowledgeable about the school of Imaam Ahmad than Ibn Muflih.” And his teacher, Ibn Taymiyyah, once told him, “You aren't Ibn Muflih, you are Muflih!”

It is incumbent on me to convey Ibn Muflih’s statements for the readers because of the knowledge and many benefits contained in them. Included in them is further confirmation of the falsehood of Shaykh at-Tuwaijree’s claim and support for the correctness of my position on the issue of uncovering the face. Ibn Muflih stated the following in his valuable work al-Aadaab ash-Shar‘iyyah – which is among the references cited by Shaykh at-Tuwaijree (something which indicates that he is aware of it, but has deliberately hidden these crucial facts from his readers while claiming the contrary):


“Is it correct to chastise marriageable women if they uncover their faces in the street?

The answer depends on whether it is compulsory for women to cover their faces or whether it is compulsory for men to lower their gaze from her. There are two positions on this issue.
  • Regarding the hadeeth of Jareer in which he said, “I asked Allaah’s Messenger about the sudden inadvertent glance and he instructed me to look away.” Al-Qaadee ‘Iyaad commented, “The scholars, May Allaah Most High have mercy on them, have said that there is proof in this hadeeth that it is not compulsory for a woman to cover her face in the street. Instead, it is a recommended sunnah for her to do so and it is compulsory for the man to lower his gaze from her at all times, except for a legislated purpose. Shaykh Muhyud-deen an-Nawawee mentioned that without further explanation.”
  • Then al-Muflih mentioned Ibn Taymiyyah’s statement which at-Tuwaijree relies on in his book (page 170), while feigning ignorance of the statements of the majority of scholars. Statements like those of al-Qaadee ‘Iyaad and an-Nawawee’s agreement with it.
Then al-Muflih said, “On the basis of that, is chastisement legal? Chastisement is not allowed in issues in where there is a difference of opinion, and the difference has already been mentioned. As regards our opinion and that of a group of Shaafi‘ite scholars and others, looking at a marriageable woman without desire or in a secluded circumstance is permissible. Therefore, chastisement is not proper.”

This answer is in complete agreement with Imaam Ahmad’s statement, “It is not proper that a jurist oblige people to follow his opinion (math-hab).” And this is if the truth were on his side. What of the case where the jurist proudly, dishonestly misleads people and declares other Muslims to be disbelievers as at-Tuwaijree did on page 249 of his book saying,

“… Whoever permits women to expose their faces and uses the proofs of al-Albaanee has flung open the door for women to publicly flaunt their beauty and emboldened them to commit the reprehensible acts done by women who uncover their faces today.” And on page 233 he said, “… and to disbelief in the verses of Allaah.”

Those are his words – May Allaah reform him and guide him. What would he say about Ibn Muflih, an-Nawawee, al-Qaadee ‘Iyaad and other Palestinian scholars, as well as the majority of scholars who preceded them and who are my salaf regarding my opinion on this matter?

Prev - Next >>


Last Updated ( Saturday, 25 November 2006 )
< Prev Next >

New Link
Reply

zaria
04-11-2007, 05:01 PM
As Salaamu Alaikum,

As Al-Zaara said, Difference of opinion but please do not work yourself up over it. You have to do what is in your heart. If you are comfortable with just Hijab, than wear Hijab. Always do what in your heart and for the sake of Allah. I did read some where and forgive me for not having the daleel but Christian at one time covered also. Another thing is if your family see that you are uncomfortable, sometimes that feed off of that but if they see your confidence that you have when you put on your Hijab, Masha'Allah... they will not say nothing. You don't have to prove you Hijab/niqab to no one but
yourself. Once you see it, they will. Allahu'Alim

May Allah guide you and continue to strenghten your eman and give you patience with your family. Ameen.
Reply

- Qatada -
04-11-2007, 05:10 PM
:salamext:


I know that when i started to grow the beard (by the will of Allaah), i found it quite difficult.. but once i accepted it personally myself - then no matter what others said, it never put me off it since i had set my mind to it whole heartedly.

I think this is be really beneficial:
http://www.islamicboard.com/cyber-co...-stranger.html
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...lid-yasin.html


Someone once said that if you don't sacrifice for the sake of Allaah, then how much do you really value your faith? Because i remember that before when i learnt about islaam, i was trying to change myself inwardly.. and the beard was the main first step which i took outwardly, i knew this would be the beginning to my trials, since hellfire is surrounded by lusts & desires and paradise is surrounded by hardships and disliked things [according to a prophetic saying.]
Reply

Medina83
04-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks all of you so much for your answers, you're really helping me, may Allah reward you all with all good and protect you from all harm.

Well I am wearing hijab already but my parents are so angry.
Now they have stated that I must just not wear it at home with them or at my sister's houses 'out of respect' for them.
I have told I do respect them but this is trying to take away my right to practice my religion. I feel they may be ashamed or embarrassed to be seen with me in hijab

I have refused to take it off even if it means staying away so they are very annoyed, please pray dua for them that their hearts and minds open soon.

Jazak Allah brothers and sisters
Reply

NoName55
04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Medina83
Thanks all of you so much for your answers, you're really helping me, may Allah reward you all with all good and protect you from all harm.

Well I am wearing hijab already but my parents are so angry.
Now they have stated that I must just not wear it at home with them or at my sister's houses 'out of respect' for them.
I have told I do respect them but this is trying to take away my right to practice my religion. I feel they may be ashamed or embarrassed to be seen with me in hijab

I have refused to take it off even if it means staying away so they are very annoyed, please pray dua for them that their hearts and minds open soon.

Jazak Allah brothers and sisters
:sl:
You know hijaab is mainly for outdoors and/or when strangers/mariageable men are inside your parent's house. I don't believe that it is for your family and or other pious women.

:w:
Reply

Medina83
04-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally Posted by NoName55
:sl:
You know hijaab is mainly for outdoors and/or when strangers/mariageable men are inside your parent's house. I don't believe that it is for your family and or other pious women.

:w:
Yes I know , I explained this to them...it fell on deaf ears ....

also on a different point , i would just say that i think saying 'marriageable' men is a bit dangerous ...because non-Muslims are not marriageable for us so one could say then that we could not wear it in front of non-muslim men.....which is of course untrue.....hope you don't mind me saying so :-)
Reply

NoName55
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Medina83
Yes I know , I explained this to them...it fell on deaf ears ....
:sl:
also remember that it is not possible to change a person's mind with constant argument. or to make them think (even unintentionaly) that every thing they held dear for so long is false.

In this situation the only solution I see is love, yes love them and show it thru deed and action (yes, even in face of abuse)

A person used to empty a trash can on Prophet of Allah on his way to Mosque. one day it did not happen and Rasul Allah became worried about the well being of the abuser and went to enquire about that person,s health.

:w:
Reply

NoName55
04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Medina83
also on a different point , i would just say that i think saying 'marriageable' men is a bit dangerous ...because non-Muslims are not marriageable for us so one could say then that we could not wear it in front of non-muslim men.....which is of course untrue.....hope you don't mind me saying so :-)
I thought word "strangers" would cover that situation

my apologies for confusing the issue, any how good luck, henceforth I'll keep shtum.

:w:
Reply

Medina83
04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by NoName55
:sl:
also remember that it is not possible to change a person's mind with constant argument. or to make them think (even unintentionaly) that every thing they held dear for so long is false.

In this situation the only solution I see is love, yes love them and show it thru deed and action (yes, even in face of abuse)

A person used to empty a trash can on Prophet of Allah on his way to Mosque. one day it did not happen and Rasul Allah became worried about the well being of the abuser and went to enquire about that person,s health.

:w:
Yes you are right...I have not been angry with them in my response just pleading with them to understand, but i will give them time and hopefully it will sink in. I don't live with them so i hope i can get an opportunity to show them how much i love them, its upsetting for them i know , and i feel guilty for hurting them..thanks for your post, its really an excellent inspiration to me.

Jazak Allah
Reply

Malaikah
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by NoName55
I try my best to keep away from sites like islamqa.com for I fear that they could pose danger to my eemaan
:sl:

What?! How so? Just because they favour the niqaab opinion doesn't mean they are a threat to anyones imaan!

Originally Posted by Medina83
also on a different point , i would just say that i think saying 'marriageable' men is a bit dangerous ...because non-Muslims are not marriageable for us so one could say then that we could not wear it in front of non-muslim men.....which is of course untrue.....hope you don't mind me saying so :-)
:sl:

You should say permanently non-marriagable, that is more accurate, while we can't marry non-muslim men, they have the potential to become marriagable if they convert to Islam, whereas a relative is always a relative and we can't change that.

(Is marriagable even a word?:? )
Reply

NoName55
04-12-2007, 10:05 AM
What?! How so? Just because they favour the niqaab opinion doesn't mean they are a threat to anyones imaan!
:w:I take it that you have not read all his "fatawah".

Read them all then we'll talk

(Is marriagable even a word?wwwislamicboardcom - )
marriageable:
of girls or women who are eligible to marry
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
Reply

Malaikah
04-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by NoName55
:w:I take it that you have not read all his "fatawah".
:sl:

Only a super human could read all the fatwa on his website... :rollseyes

Just because you don't agree with them, doesn't mean you should think badly of him.
Reply

NoName55
04-12-2007, 12:07 PM
:w:
I can't afford to get another 40 infraction points because there are a lot of good people on this site that I'll miss. There are not many decent websites that I can migrate to. so I am not going to say another word to you about this matter.
Reply

Kidman
04-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Wearing the Hijab, like many other things, is open to interperations. You can read a verse, and either interperate it your own way. But the best thing to do is to look at the Prophet and his hadiths regarding it. In the Quran it tells you to: Follow the Quran, the Prophet, and those invested with knowledge (of Islam). If you cannot figure it out from the Quran, second action is to look at what the Holy Prophet says about it.

Then you have to believe in it, if you don't believe, then don't do it... but if you believe, then let nobody tell you otherwise!!!

Wish you the best,

Kidman
Reply

mustafajadeed
04-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Salam Alay Koom:

My Sister(s) Qur'an is it's own Argument and Answer and Command.

Does anything Override or Contradict the Qur'an? No.

Go get an Arabic Dictionary and look up the actual word: Khimar. It is a face veil. I do not have to give you the verse, because you know it: Draw the Veil across their bosoms. It did not say "Niqab". To be more specific, the word is Khumurihinna, making it clearly a female face veil.

Question? Do the tell Nuns to remove their headpiece / "Hijab"? Then you can wear your Hijab and Khimar.

What is usually the most beautiful part of a woman? <I>Her Face</I>. So do what The God says.

Who is more important? the Humanity that you might be here with from zero to maybe a hundred or so years, or The God who you are trying to be with <I>Forever</I>?

Allah Makes the Law our job is to follow it (Q 6:155-156... I would say the whole section) it also tells you to beware of those who would beguile- trick you from what is sent down (Q 5:52)

There is also a place that deals with when your family wants you to do other than what The God says (Q 29:8).

Be Muslim.

Salam Alay Koom
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
04-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Medina83
Ok I looked at the link, the evidence it provides are that niqab is obligatory not just hijab.

So I am still doing wrong then just wearing hijab?

I can't provide this as evidence to them unless I wear niqab and it was hard enough to put on the hijab , I don't think I can manage niqab :cry:
Sis i wonder if u realized what u jus said.

You said u could only use that as evidence if u were wearing niqab. Niqab is a step further than Hijab. And when ur wearing niqab, ur also covering your hair. It wouldnt make sense to wear niqab with your hair uncovered :X So I'm pretty sure u can use it :)

:sl:
Reply

Skywalker
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
I think what she meant was that in order to convince them, she would have to actually wear the niqab to prove her point, and she's not ready to do something like that.

Here's my advice, sister, and I hope it helps: I think that you are very courageous and your courage is to be admired for taking a step towards Allah even with this great obstacle. May Allah help you get through this (hopefully very short) part of your life. One very important thing to keep in mind is to keep your relationship with your parents as good as possible. If you were very close before you became Muslim, become even closer now. Show them that you love them, that you appreciate them, that your love for them will go on forever, ...they are your parents, the ones who brought you up from when you were born. So show them how much you love them, go spend a lot of time with them, buy them gifts, help them around the house, etc. They will not be convinced of your decision by your words as you've said a few times in this thread, but by the kindness in your actions.

My mother is also a revert and her parents (my grandparents) weren't very happy about the hijab either, but they accepted it, and pretty quickly too. It's hard for non-Muslims to understand the use of it, so don't argue with them or try to convince them. Just be civilized and "agree to disagree". They will accept your decision before long insha-Allah. Nobody wants to be in a conflict forever. Just try your best to show them that you love them, and that your decision to become a Muslimah is something positive.

As for the niqab, Allahu 3alam, but I definetely think you should postpone thinking about that for some time. Get comfortable in your hijab first, however long it might take, and then when you're ready to move on, start investigating the matter of niqab and whether it's a must or not. So my advice is to just leave the niqab issue for now.

Peace sister, and may Allah reward you for your effort :)
:w:
Reply

mustafajadeed
04-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Salam Alay Koom:

From:
The Hans Wehr Dictionary of Modern Arabic
Edited by J.M. Cowan
(sometimes referred to as the "Cowan's Dictionary")

Page 302 column 2 Word: Khamara
Meaning V

"to ferment, to be in a state of fermentation; to rise (dough);
to veil the head and face (woman)."
------------------------------------------------------------
Wortabet's Pocket Dictionary
English-Arabic
Arabic-English
John Wortabet and Harvey Porter


Arabic side: page 84: column 1 Word: Khamar / Yakhmuru:
"To veil, conceal"

Arabic side: page 84: column 1 Word: Takhammara
"To veil the head, face."

Arabic side: page 84: column 1 Word: Khamaaru / Khumur

_____________________________

These are Dictionaries used by Muslims everyday, I know many who rely on their "Cowan's" alone
either some translators have Failed to do their research, have simply carried on with what someone else has told them, or all the dictionaries need to be "corrected" as to what the veil- khimar means.

I am a Muslim born and raised in America, my own Mother and Step Mother wore the Veil until the aged out of it.

In my family, you had better personally do your research before you express something.

A Scholar is only a Scholar when he is correct. A true Scholar is always a student studying.

Bad Scholars are those who simply "agree" with the line of study given without confirmation.

Always Confirm. That I the way it was in the time of the Prophet (saw). How many people came alway across countries just to confirm things or correct things with Mother of the Believers Aisha(raa)? This also shows that she had status among men and scholar.

If the Command of The God Said that men should wear a veil, guess what?

You would have this same problem.

I would be wearing mine.

I always have to ask (myself usually): when while humanity actually listen to The God, and quit worrying about what some other mortal thinks of it?

A Muslim is one who Obeys The God. You know what a "Veil" is and and "Headscarf". After that you have The Power to Choose /Limited Freewill / Qadri.

I am still waiting for "Them" to tell Nuns to take off their Hijab/ headscarf. Or to run up in those hills of Romania and tell the "Peasant woman" (who dress a lot like Muslims) to take theirs off.

Ma Salam
Reply

NoName55
04-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I do not give a toss about Hans Wehr and his dictionary (what is wrong with al-Mufradaat by ar-Raaghib al-Asbahaanee). I take lessons only from Muslim Shayukh and Scholars who are familiar with rules of Quran translation.

Wa-salam

http://www.islamicboard.com/710721-post14.html
Reply

SirZubair
04-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by NoName55
:sl:
I try my best to keep away from sites like islamqa.com for I fear that they could pose danger to my eemaan
As much as i hate to agree with you..
..i agree with you. Keep away from Islamqa.com.

* Waiting for the "you're a bloody sufi! Go back to your sufi fatwa sites!" comments to be thrown at me... *
Reply

Malaikah
04-28-2007, 12:43 AM
:sl:

you're a bloody sufi! Go back to your sufi fatwa sites!:raging:

Joking... anyway, if you don't like, no one is forcing you to use it, just don't try to ruin their reputation.
Reply

SirZubair
04-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by Malaikah
:sl:

you're a bloody sufi! Go back to your sufi fatwa sites!:raging:
Well... you are a ******... sue me :p

( I am joking too :p )

p.s even before i post this, i bet that W word has been censored :p

Originally Posted by Malaikah
Joking... anyway, if you don't like, no one is forcing you to use it, just don't try to ruin their reputation.
I was only simply agreeing with NoName55.
Reply

- Qatada -
04-28-2007, 10:24 AM
:salamext:


Thats it now, everyone should jump bro Zubair and ban him. C'mon modz! :p
Reply

vpb
04-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Medina89, do not let them win the case, trust me, one of the sides at the end with drop the case, so be strong , try to give them arguments , and sometimes they will drop the case and not bother u anymore as they will see that you won't change your mind. Be a stubborn in this case and don't give up.
Reply

- Qatada -
04-28-2007, 11:30 AM
:salamext:


Yeah, masha Allaah good advice bro vpb ^ it reminds me of a famous companion of Allaah's Messenger (peace be upon him.)


Companion: Sa'ad ibn Abi Waqas:
While the Prophet was delighted with Sad's acceptance of Islam, others including and especially his mother were not. Sad relates: "When my mother heard the news of my Islam, she flew into a rage. She came up to me and said:

"O Sad! What is this religion that you have embraced which has taken you away from the religion of your mother and father...? By God, either you forsake your new religion or I would not eat or drink until I die. Your heart would be broken with grief for me and remorse would consume you on account of the deed which you have done and people would censure you forever more.'

'Don't do (such a thing), my mother,' I said, 'for I would not give up my religion for anything.'

However, she went on with her threat... For days she neither ate nor drank. She became emaciated and weak. Hour after hour, I went to her asking whether I should bring her some food or something to drink but she persistently refused, insisting that she would neither eat nor drink until she died or I abandoned my religion. I said to her:

'Yaa Ummaah! In spite of my strong love for you, my love for God and His Messenger is indeed stronger. By God, if you had a thousand souls and one soul after another were to depart, I would not abandon this my religion for anything.' When she saw that I was determined she relented unwillingly and ate and drank."

It was concerning Sad's relationship with his mother and her attempt to force him to recant his faith that the words of the Quran were revealed:

And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to thy parents: to Me is (thy final) Goal.

"But if they strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration), and follow the way of those who turn to me (in love): in the end the return of you all is to Me, and I will tell you the truth (and meaning) of all that ye did."

[Qur'an Surah Luqman 31: 13-15]
More...
Reply

SirZubair
04-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:salamext:


Thats it now, everyone should jump bro Zubair and ban him. C'mon modz! :p
Now now.... that would be harsh. i've been VERY VERY good for the past half a month or so.. lol :p
Reply

- Qatada -
04-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by SirZubair
Now now.... that would be harsh. i've been VERY VERY good for the past half a month or so.. lol :p

:salamext:


lol yeh, jazaak Allaah khayr init. :) Much appreciated.
Reply

Kidman
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
Basically, just like prayer is mentioned in the Quran, so is covering ones self. Just like prayer, you will not find the specific ways to pray, in which you must look at hadith to tell you how to pray. Same with covering ones self. The Quran will tell you that you need to cover yourself, but the Hadith will give you the details on what to cover, how to cover, and anything else you want to know about the Hijab.

With that being said, the only thing for you to do now is to do your own research to see how you should cover.

Kidman
Reply

mustafajadeed
02-01-2008, 02:00 AM
Salam Alaykoom:

If you go back near the beginning of this thread, (Medina 83's post) Sura 24 ayat 31 was mentionioned: "...That they should draw the veil (Khimmar= face veil as opposed to hijab = common veiling like a curtain- per se) over their bosoms and not display their beauty except..."

I do not need to go to a hadith because that is very specific- in fact you have seen it in action (possibly) in documentaries where you see sisters in the Islamic Region ( I do not go for "Middle East", because on a map it is actually "Lower Asia" or "Upper Africa") "Draw Their Veils up" to hide their faces from the cameras.

But I definitely agree that you have to research Hadith to learn The Prayer.

Unlike the common idea of just letting some Imam, Sheik, Ulama, whatever they have mutated into as "Clerics" since the time of the Prophet (there actually was no Clergy in Islam during his time, everyone had to learn their religion and be ready to be Imam/Leader when needed, and get right back into the ranks once you were not "Leading" anymore.)

You would be quite surprised at how different the Prayer of the Prophet is from the prayer that is practiced now.
Reply

Huma*
02-23-2008, 03:38 PM
:sl:

yes not only Hijab but Niqab is also mandatory.
Reply

ummsara1108
02-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Medina83
Ok I looked at the link, the evidence it provides are that niqab is obligatory not just hijab.

So I am still doing wrong then just wearing hijab?

I can't provide this as evidence to them unless I wear niqab and it was hard enough to put on the hijab , I don't think I can manage niqab :cry:

What religion are your parents?
Reply

Kidman
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Siddiqua
:sl:

yes not only Hijab but Niqab is also mandatory.
That's false, if that was the case then why is it mandatory to not wear niqab while performing hajj?? You must keep the face and hands open.

It was only mandatory for the wives of the Prophet to wear niqab... and it's recommended to wear, but not mandatory.

Peace,

Kidman
Reply

doorster
01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Nerd
Here is a convincing argument:

Why not narrate to them, Muhammad’s narration of encountering tortured feminine souls on his visit to Hell, which took place on the night of the ascension. He described one particular woman hung from her hair with a boiling brain (due to the hellish heat) because she had refused to wear a veil during her life-time.
if this is true then there is going to be a serious lack of women in paradise?

BTW. What are you really? No Muslim, to my knowledge or of my acquaintance refers to Last RasulAllah as you do

source link has changed to >> The Face Veil
Originally Posted by NoName55
Home wwwislamicboardcom - Articles wwwislamicboardcom - Fiqh wwwislamicboardcom - The Face Veil

Written by Dr. Bilal Philips
Thursday, 06 July 2006

Page 1 of 3
The following text is an edited translation of a summary of ar-Radd al-Mufhim by Shaykh Naasiruddeen al-Albaanee found in pages 5-20 of the introduction of his book Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 3rd edition, 1996, al-Maktabah al-Islaamiyyah.

The main errors of those who make the face veil obligatory

1. The interpretation of al-idnaa’ in the verse of the Jilbaab to mean “covering the face”.


This misinterpretation is contrary to the basic meaning of the word in Arabic which is “to come close”, as is mentioned in authoritative dictionaries like al-Mufradaat by the well-known scholar, ar-Raaghib al-Asbahaanee. However, there is sufficient evidence in the interpretation of the leading commentator on the Quran, Ibn ‘Abbaas, who explained the verse saying, “She should bring the jilbaab close to her face without covering it.” It should be noted that none of the narrations used as evidence to contradict this interpretation are authentic.


2. The interpretation of jilbaab as “a garment which covers the face.”

Like the previous misinterpretation, this interpretation has no basis linguistically. It is contrary to the interpretation of the leading scholars, past and present, who define the jilbaab as a garment which women drape over their head scarves (khimaar). Even Shaykh at-Tuwaijree himself narrated this interpretation from Ibn Mas‘ood and other Salafee scholars. Al-Baghawee mentioned it as the correct interpretation in his Tafseer (vol. 3, p. 518) saying, “It is the garment which a woman covers herself with worn above the dress (dir ‘) and the headscarf.” Ibn Hazm also said, “The jilbaab in the Arabic language in which the Messenger of Allaah (pbuh) spoke to us is what covers the whole body and not just a part of it.” (vol. 3, p. 217). Al-Qurtubee declared this correct in his Tafseer and Ibn Katheer said, “It is the cloak worn above the headscarf.” (vol. 3, p. 518)


3. The claim that the khimaar (headscarf) covers the head and the face.

In doing so “the face” has been arbitrarily added to its meaning in order to make the verse: “Let them drape their headscarves over their busoms” appear to be in their favor, when, in fact it is not. The word khimaar linguistically means only a head covering. Whenever it is mentioned in general terms, this is what is intended. For example in the hadeeths on wiping (mas-h) on the khimaar and the prophetic statement, “The salaah of a woman past puberty will not be accepted without a khimaar.” This hadeeth confirms the invalidity of their misinterpretation, because not even the extremists themselves – much less the scholars – use it as evidence that the covering of a woman's face in salaah is a condition for its validity. They only use it as proof for covering the head. Furthermore, their interpretation of the verse of the Qawaa‘id “… to remove their clothing” to mean “jilbaab” further confirms it. They hold that it is permissible for old women to appear before marriagealbe males in her headscarf with her face exposed. One of their noteable scholars openly stated that. As for Shaykh at-Tuwaijree, he implied it without actually saying it.


After checking the opinions of the early and later scholars in all the specializations, I found that they unanimously hold that the khimaar is a head covering. I have mentioned the names of more than twenty scholars, among them some of the great Imaams and hadeeth scholars. For example, Abul-Waleed al-Baajee (d. 474 AH) who further added in his explanation, “Nothing should be seen of her besides the circle of her face.”


4. The claim of a consensus (Ijmaa‘) on the face being considered ‘awrah.

Shaykh at-Tuwaijree claimed that scholars unanimously held that the woman's face was ‘awrah and many who have no knowledge, including some Ph.D. holders, have blindly followed him. In fact, it is a false claim, which no one before him has claimed. The books of Hambalite scholars which he learned from, not to mention those of others, contain sufficient proof of its falsehood. I have mentioned many of their statements in Ar-Radd. For example, Ibn Hubayrah al-Hambalee stated in his book, al-Ifsaah, that the face is not considered ‘awrah in the three main schools of Islaamic law and he added, “It is also a narrated position of Imaam Ahmad.” Many Hambalite scholars preferred this narration in their books, like Ibn Qudaamah and others. Ibn Qudaamah in al-Mughnee explained the reason for his preference saying, “Because necessity demands that the face be uncovered for buying and selling, and the hands be uncovered for taking and giving.”


Among the Hambalite scholars, is the great Ibn Muflih al-Hambalee about whom Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah said, “There is no one under the dome of the sky more knowledgeable about the school of Imaam Ahmad than Ibn Muflih.” And his teacher, Ibn Taymiyyah, once told him, “You aren't Ibn Muflih, you are Muflih!”

It is incumbent on me to convey Ibn Muflih’s statements for the readers because of the knowledge and many benefits contained in them. Included in them is further confirmation of the falsehood of Shaykh at-Tuwaijree’s claim and support for the correctness of my position on the issue of uncovering the face. Ibn Muflih stated the following in his valuable work al-Aadaab ash-Shar‘iyyah – which is among the references cited by Shaykh at-Tuwaijree (something which indicates that he is aware of it, but has deliberately hidden these crucial facts from his readers while claiming the contrary):


“Is it correct to chastise marriageable women if they uncover their faces in the street?

The answer depends on whether it is compulsory for women to cover their faces or whether it is compulsory for men to lower their gaze from her. There are two positions on this issue.
  • Regarding the hadeeth of Jareer in which he said, “I asked Allaah’s Messenger about the sudden inadvertent glance and he instructed me to look away.” Al-Qaadee ‘Iyaad commented, “The scholars, May Allaah Most High have mercy on them, have said that there is proof in this hadeeth that it is not compulsory for a woman to cover her face in the street. Instead, it is a recommended sunnah for her to do so and it is compulsory for the man to lower his gaze from her at all times, except for a legislated purpose. Shaykh Muhyud-deen an-Nawawee mentioned that without further explanation.”
  • Then al-Muflih mentioned Ibn Taymiyyah’s statement which at-Tuwaijree relies on in his book (page 170), while feigning ignorance of the statements of the majority of scholars. Statements like those of al-Qaadee ‘Iyaad and an-Nawawee’s agreement with it.

Then al-Muflih said, “On the basis of that, is chastisement legal? Chastisement is not allowed in issues in where there is a difference of opinion, and the difference has already been mentioned. As regards our opinion and that of a group of Shaafi‘ite scholars and others, looking at a marriageable woman without desire or in a secluded circumstance is permissible. Therefore, chastisement is not proper.”

This answer is in complete agreement with Imaam Ahmad’s statement, “It is not proper that a jurist oblige people to follow his opinion (math-hab).” And this is if the truth were on his side. What of the case where the jurist proudly, dishonestly misleads people and declares other Muslims to be disbelievers as at-Tuwaijree did on page 249 of his book saying,

“… Whoever permits women to expose their faces and uses the proofs of al-Albaanee has flung open the door for women to publicly flaunt their beauty and emboldened them to commit the reprehensible acts done by women who uncover their faces today.” And on page 233 he said, “… and to disbelief in the verses of Allaah.”

Those are his words – May Allaah reform him and guide him. What would he say about Ibn Muflih, an-Nawawee, al-Qaadee ‘Iyaad and other Palestinian scholars, as well as the majority of scholars who preceded them and who are my salaf regarding my opinion on this matter?

continued....


Last Updated ( Saturday, 25 November 2006 )
Reply

ummsara1108
05-14-2009, 12:08 PM
You have to wear hijab for Allah and Only Allah because he has asked you to. When you feel comfy enough to do so. If you wear hijab for any other reason I believe it to be haram. For it is Allah you seek to pleaze no one else.
Reply

Chains of Faith
05-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I believe women wear hijab to protect themselves and to maintain a healthy society.

once Dr. Zakir Naik gave a wonderful example.

If two sisters are both beautiful twins and one is wearing a hijab while the other is not, walk around a corner where a rapist lurks. Who is he most likely to rape.....

the one without a hijab. so its to protect a woman's honor.
Reply

ragdollcat1982
05-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Where does some Muslim women get the idea that the hijab is not obligatory? I have read the Quran and cannot come to that conclusion. I use 1st Corinthians 11:4-7 where the apostle Paul says that a woman to pray with her head uncovered is the equivilant to her having a shaved head and is considered a shame. There is a verse further down in the same chapter that says that a womans hair was giving to her for a covering, hence they really dont have to cover their hair. I gather that while a woman is not to shave her head she is obligated to wear a seperate covering on her head at least while praying and at worship services.
Reply

'Abd-al Latif
05-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Verses and hadeeth about hijab

Praise be to Allaah.

Verses that have to do with hijab:

1 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islam), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of feminine sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allaah to forgive you all, O believers, that you may be successful”

[al-Noor 24:31]

2 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And as for women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock, it is no sin on them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show their adornment. But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them. And Allaah is All‑Hearer, All‑Knower”


[al-Noor 24:60]

“Women past childbearing” are those who no longer menstruate, so they can no longer get pregnant or bear children.

We shall see below the words of Hafsah bint Sireen and the way in which she interpreted this verse.

3 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allaah is Ever Oft‑Forgiving, Most Merciful”

[al-Ahzaab 33:59]

4 – Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Enter not the Prophet’s houses, unless permission is given to you for a meal, (and then) not (so early as) to wait for its preparation. But when you are invited, enter, and when you have taken your meal, disperse without sitting for a talk. Verily, such (behaviour) annoys the Prophet, and he is shy of (asking) you (to go); but Allaah is not shy of (telling you) the truth. And when you ask (his wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and for their hearts. And it is not (right) for you that you should annoy Allaah’s Messenger, nor that you should ever marry his wives after him (his death). Verily, with Allaah that shall be an enormity”

[al-Ahzaab 33:53]

With regard to the Ahaadeeth:

1 – It was narrated from Safiyyah bint Shaybah that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) used to say: When these words were revealed – “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” – they took their izaars (a kind of garment) and tore them from the edges and covered their faces with them.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4481. The following version was narrated by Abu Dawood (4102):

May Allaah have mercy on the Muhaajir women. When Allaah revealed the words “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)”, they tore the thickest of their aprons (a kind of garment) and covered their faces with them.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Ameen al-Shanqeeti (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

This hadeeth clearly states that what the Sahaabi women mentioned here understood from this verse – “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” – was that they were to cover their faces, and that they tore their garments and covered their faces with them, in obedience to the command of Allaah in the verse where He said “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” which meant covering their faces. Thus the fair-minded person will understand that woman’s observing hijab and covering her face in front of men is established in the saheeh Sunnah that explains the Book of Allaah. ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) praised those women for hastening to follow the command of Allaah given in His Book. It is known that their understanding of the words “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” as meaning covering the face came from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), because he was there and they asked him about everything that they did not understand about their religion. And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And We have also sent down unto you (O Muhammad) the Dhikr [reminder and the advice (i.e. the Qur’aan)], that you may explain clearly to men what is sent down to them, and that they may give thought”

[al-Nahl 16:44]

Ibn Hajar said in Fath al-Baari: There is a report of Ibn Abi Haatim via ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Uthmaan ibn Khaytham from Safiyyah that explains that. This report says: We mentioned the women of Quraysh and their virtues in the presence of ‘Aa’ishah and she said: “The women of Quraysh are good, but by Allaah I have never seen any better than the women of the Ansaar, or any who believed the Book of Allaah more strongly or had more faith in the Revelation. When Soorat al-Noor was revealed – “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” – their menfolk came to them and recited to them what had been revealed, and there was not one woman among them who did not go to her apron, and the following morning they prayed wrapped up as if there were crows on their heads.

It was also narrated clearly in the report of al-Bukhaari narrated above, where we see ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), who was so knowledgeable and pious, praising them in this manner and stating that she had never seen any women who believed the Book of Allaah more strongly or had more faith in the Revelation. This clearly indicates that they understood from this verse – “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” – that it was obligatory to cover their faces and that this stemmed from their belief in the Book of Allaah and their faith in the Revelation. It also indicates that women’s observing hijab in front of men and covering their faces is an act of belief in the Book of Allaah and faith in the Revelation. It is very strange indeed that some of those who claim to have knowledge say that there is nothing in the Qur’aan or Sunnah that says that women have to cover their faces in front of non-mahram men, even though the Sahaabi women did that in obedience to the command of Allaah in His Book, out of faith in the Revelation, and that this meaning is also firmly entrenched in the Sunnah, as in the report from al-Bukhaari quoted above. This is among the strongest evidence that all Muslim women are obliged to observe hijab.

Adwa’ al-Bayaan, 6/594-595.

2 – It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah that the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to go out at night to al-Manaasi’ (well known places in the direction of al-Baqee’) to relieve themselves and ‘Umar used to say to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Let your wives be veiled.” But the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do that. Then one night Sawdah bint Zam’ah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), went out at ‘Isha’ time and she was a tall woman. ‘Umar called out to her: “We have recognized you, O Sawdah!” hoping that hijab would be revealed, then Allaah revealed the verse of hijab.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 146; Muslim, 2170.

3 – It was narrated from Ibn Shihaab that Anas said: I am the most knowledgeable of people about hijab. Ubayy ibn Ka’b used to ask me about it. When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) married Zaynab bint Jahsh, whom he married in Madeenah, he invited the people to a meal after the sun had risen. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sat down and some men sat around him after the people had left, until the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood up and walked a while, and I walked with him, until he reached the door of ‘Aa’ishah’s apartment. Then he thought that they had left so he went back and I went back with him, and they were still sitting there. He went back again, and I went with him, until he reached the door of ‘Aa’ishah’s apartment, then he came back and I came back with him, and they had left. Then he drew a curtain between me and him, and the verse of hijab was revealed.

Al-Bukhaari, 5149; Muslim, 1428.

4 – It was narrated from ‘Urwah that ‘Aa’ishah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray Fajr and the believing women would attend (the prayer) with him, wrapped in their aprons, then they would go back to their houses and no one would recognize them.

Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 365; Muslim, 645.

5 – It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “The riders used to pass by us when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (saaws) in ihraam, and when they drew near to us we would lower our jilbabs from our heads over our faces, then when they had passed we would uncover them again.

Narrated by Abu Dawood, 1833; Ibn Maajah, 2935; classed as saheeh by Ibn Khuzaymah (4,203) and by al-Albaani in Kitaab Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah.

6 – It was narrated that Asma’ bint Abi Bakr said: We used to cover our faces in front of men.

Narrated by Ibn Khuzaymah, 4/203; al-Haakim, 1/624. He classed it as saheeh and al-Dhahabi agreed with him. It was also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Jilbaab al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah.

7 – It was narrated that ‘Aasim al-Ahwaal said: We used to enter upon Hafsah bint Sireen who had put her jilbab thus and covered her face with it, and we would say to her: May Allaah have mercy on you. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And as for women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock, it is no sin on them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show their adornment” [al-Noor 24:60]. And she would say to us: What comes after that? We would say: “But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them”. And she would say: That is confirming the idea of hijab.

Narrated by al-Bayhaqi, 7/93.

For more information please see Question no. 6991.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/13998
Reply

xxxx2
05-15-2009, 12:43 AM
The Obligation of Veiling
AUTHOR: Shaikh Zayd bin Muhammad Al-Madkhalee
TRANSLATED: Al-Ibaanah Book Publishing
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com
Download The Obligation of Veiling


A translation of the booklet Wujoob Sitr-il-Wajhi wal-Kafayn
Reply

qweretyq
06-02-2009, 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Chains of Faith
I believe women wear hijab to protect themselves and to maintain a healthy society.

once Dr. Zakir Naik gave a wonderful example.

If two sisters are both beautiful twins and one is wearing a hijab while the other is not, walk around a corner where a rapist lurks. Who is he most likely to rape.....

the one without a hijab. so its to protect a woman's honor.
This argument is flawed.

Let's say there are two women: one who goes out wearing a hijab and one who never goes outside and stays home. Which one is more likely to be raped?
Conclusion: Women should not go outside?

The problem there is not with the woman who doesn't wear the hijab; it's with the rapists. Laws should be made in society to punish them. As a side note, it is a fact that in the United States one is more likely to be raped by a family member or family friend than a stranger.
Reply

Nihila
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
^^^ I agree entirely.

Rape is not, believe it or not, about how attractive a woman is. It's about power and control. It's just like saying a woman is more protected against being mugged because she's wearing hijab - no, she's not. A rapist will rape anyone who they feel is an easy victim; and yes, it is more likely to happen amongst family/family friends, because power is so much more available in relationships where people are known to you.

I think hijab is beautiful, but the intention of the woman is what is most important. The amount of people I know who don't wear a conventional headscarf/abaya but are actually MORE covered than *some* of those who do is amazing...You can be covered from head to toe and still attract attention; in the same way you can be a woman who doesnt cover in that way, but manages to stay in the shadows constantly.
Reply

all4salam
02-23-2011, 12:24 AM
The Qur'an doesnt command women to wear hijab.
Reply

Asiyah3
02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by all4salam
The Qur'an doesnt command women to wear hijab.
:sl:

Do you know better than Allah, the Prophet (SAAS), the Sahabah (may Allah be pleased with them) and the well-known scholars?

Brother if you say you don't understand why women need to wear the hijab, I will tell you okay. If you say you don't know if Allah has commanded women to wear hijab, I will tell you okay. But if you tell a lie about Allah swt or His messenger, I advice you to be very careful. Be careful of talking without knowledge.

6:144 ...Then who is more unjust than one who invents a lie about Allah to mislead the people by [something] other than knowledge? Indeed, Allah does not guide the wrongdoing people. (Surat Al-An'am)

11:18 And who is more unjust than he who invents a lie about Allah ? Those will be presented before their Lord, and the witnesses will say, "These are the ones who lied against their Lord." Unquestionably, the curse of Allah is upon the wrongdoers. (Surat Hud)
Reply

all4salam
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Runaway
Do you know better than Allah, the Prophet (SAAS), the Sahabah (may Allah be pleased with them) and the well-known scholars?
NO...... But you should know that:

Can we find the word "Hijab" in the Quran??

The word "Hijab" appeared in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban," these are 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 & 19:17.

None of these "Hijab" words are used in the Quran in reference to what the traditional Muslims call today (Hijab) as a dress code for the Muslim woman.

God knows that generations after Muhammed's death the Muslims will use the word "Hijab" to invent a dress code that He never authorized. God used the word "Hijab" ahead of them just as He used the word "Hadith" ahead of them.

Hijab in the Quran has nothing to do with the Muslim Women dress code.


God does not wait for a Scholar to put the correct words for Him!
Reply

R Khan
02-24-2011, 05:09 PM
w w w.muhajabah.com/jilbab.htm
Reply

Danah
02-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by all4salam
NO...... But you should know that:

Can we find the word "Hijab" in the Quran??

The word "Hijab" appeared in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban," these are 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 & 19:17.

None of these "Hijab" words are used in the Quran in reference to what the traditional Muslims call today (Hijab) as a dress code for the Muslim woman.

God knows that generations after Muhammed's death the Muslims will use the word "Hijab" to invent a dress code that He never authorized. God used the word "Hijab" ahead of them just as He used the word "Hadith" ahead of them.

Hijab in the Quran has nothing to do with the Muslim Women dress code.


God does not wait for a Scholar to put the correct words for Him!
So you think that women should not observe Hijab and dress modestly? I can agree with you that the word Hijab is newly invented but to say that because the word was not used before then this means that Hijab is not obligated then this is the first time I heard such statement!!!

Can you tell me what do you understand from this Aayah?

O Prophet! Tell thy wives and thy daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them . That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful. [33:59]

What does the word modesty mean for you?
Reply

Ramadhan
02-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by
Hijab in the Quran has nothing to do with the Muslim Women dress code.

Please tell us in your wisdom what kind of dress that muslimah should wear?
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
02-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by all4salam
NO...... But you should know that:

Can we find the word "Hijab" in the Quran??

The word "Hijab" appeared in the Quran 7 times, five of them as "Hijab" and two times as "Hijaban," these are 7:46, 33:53, 38:32, 41:5, 42:51, 17:45 & 19:17.

None of these "Hijab" words are used in the Quran in reference to what the traditional Muslims call today (Hijab) as a dress code for the Muslim woman.

God knows that generations after Muhammed's death the Muslims will use the word "Hijab" to invent a dress code that He never authorized. God used the word "Hijab" ahead of them just as He used the word "Hadith" ahead of them.

Hijab in the Quran has nothing to do with the Muslim Women dress code.


God does not wait for a Scholar to put the correct words for Him!
Assalaamu Alaaykum

First of all scholars are well respected in Islaam, we arent allowed to interpret verses from the noble Quraan by ourselves.

Brother, Allaah swt tells us to learn our deen from those whom have knowledge, and who is that? the one who has knowledge regarding the Noble Book the Qur'aan and the sunnah of the Rasool sallahu alaayhi wa salam not someone who knows nothing and just speaks from their opinion saying "i think this and i think that, i think it should be this way or that way" etc because Allaah has mentioned what is obligatory upon us and what is not.

Theres no such thing as traditional muslim, either the muslim is a muslim who has knowledge from the Quraan and sunnah and tries to follow it best way they are able to or he doesnt and wishes to follow his own way by interpretating the book of Allaah i.e. following his desires!

Hijaab or whatever word it is, the above posters posted the ayah from the Quraan which mentioned the proof of modesty from the Quraan. I can surely say you are one speaking without knowledge, as you did not mention the term Peace and blessings of Allaah be unto him, after mentioning the name of the Prophet, so clearly you need to remain silent, and Allaah knows best if that was a mistake but the rest you mentioned seems to have been mentioned without pure knowledge. Learn your Deen and speak the truth at least and fear Allaah.

Also i would like to answer one of your Questions, i looked through one of the references you posted which is surah Al Araaf ayah 46. you mentioned the ayah has nothing to do with muslim women covering, but from reading the ayah the meaning is the same meaning as women would also use to screen, cover themselves or something we call hijaab today, it doesnt necessarily have to do with women. Clearly in the ayah below it mentioned there being a "barrier screen" between those people which is like a veil, which is similar to hijaab where women cover themselves, I wont interpret any more ayahs, but wanted to make some of it clear. I hope that you understand what i said, but if not feel free to ask insha'Allaah. However ,there are verses from the Quraan that require women to cover, they need to be understood properly by those who know better than us. The Scholars are like our teachers, to learn something or if we do not understand we ask the teacher, there is no sin upon asking of what we do not know.

"And between them will be a barrier screen and on Al-A'raf (a wall with elevated places) will be men (whose good and evil deeds would be equal in scale), who would recognise all (of the Paradise and Hell people), by their marks (the dwellers of Paradise by their white faces and the dwellers of Hell by their black faces), they will call out to the dwellers of Paradise, "Salamun 'Alaikum" (peace be on you), and at that time they (men on Al-A'raf) will not yet have entered it (Paradise), but they will hope to enter (it) with certainty."


"And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms, and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to God together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful." [Surah An Noor-verse 31]

Also i would like to add, if we didnt have hadeeth, how would have one known how to perform salah, wudhu, and much much more.

I hope someone more knowledgeable is able to answer your question and apologise for the long post or if i said anything wrong or harsh please forgive me, for my post insha'Allaah it helps.

peace
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM
  2. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 02:59 AM
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!