× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 121 visibility 9390

U.S. Presidential Election 2008: Obama and Huckabee

Qingu's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Democrat Barack Obama and Republican Mike Huckabee have come out significantly ahead in the primary elections.

This is a pretty big win for both of them and it's entirely possible that we are now looking at the contenders for the 2008 presidential race.

What do Muslims think of these two candidates?

(As an Obama supporter, I'm particularly interested to see if Muslims across the world—most of whom seem to currently hate America—would be willing to start on a new page with the US of A if Obama wins the election.)

2. Report bad ads?
    Keltoi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: U.S. Presidential Election 2008: Obama and Huckabee

format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu View Post
    Democrat Barack Obama and Republican Mike Huckabee have come out significantly ahead in the primary elections.

This is a pretty big win for both of them and it's entirely possible that we are now looking at the contenders for the 2008 presidential race.

What do Muslims think of these two candidates?

(As an Obama supporter, I'm particularly interested to see if Muslims across the world—most of whom seem to currently hate America—would be willing to start on a new page with the US of A if Obama wins the election.)
    Why would Obama be more impressive to Muslims than Hillary Clinton? Because of his name? In any event, with Obama losing New Hampshire, it appears his momentum is dwindling a bit. I think we're looking at a Clinton/McCain presidential race.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."

MTAFFI's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

It will be interesting to see who ends up running for president... Could be any combination really of Clinton, Obama, Huckabee or McCain, or maybe even one of the other candidates. I like Obama, I think he has some interesting things to say, however, I dont know if he has the experience for the job. Plus, he may just be a lot of talk with no walk. As far as Hilary goes, man I hope she doesnt get elected or even in the running, I have had enough of the Bush's and the Clinton's in office for a while and not only that but she just gives me the creeps. McCain is OK, I often wonder about his honesty and electability in the grander scheme.... I guess that kind of applies to all the republicans, except Ron Paul who is really just a libertarian in disguise. Who knows though really, I guess time will tell

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    - Bertrand Russell

"He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the
    enemy." - George Washington

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi View Post
    Why would Obama be more impressive to Muslims than Hillary Clinton?
    Probably more impressive because of his purposed foreign policy of holding talks directly with some of the more threatening M.E. countries

- Bertrand Russell

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI View Post
    Probably more impressive because of his purposed foreign policy of holding talks directly with some of the more threatening M.E. countries
    I think if Obama wins the election he will get a quick crash course in foreign affairs that will shake up his worldview a bit. It does that for every nominee with lofty notions of handshaking and tea sipping problems away. I actually like Obama, and I would prefer him over Hillary any day of the week. However, in the present climate I think McCain can strike the balance between foreign affairs and domestic issues. The only problem I have with McCain is his immigration proposals.

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

They seem to have been campaigning for ages already, but I gather there are still several months of it to go. When will the whole embarrassing spectacle be over?

Peace

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson View Post
    Greetings,

They seem to have been campaigning for ages already, but I gather there are still several months of it to go. When will the whole embarrassing spectacle be over?

Peace
    It is certainly a spectacle. I'm not sure it is really embarrassing yet. Florida 2000 was embarrassing.

It will be over the first Tuesday in November 2008 (unless there is another Florida type fiasco)

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Qingu View Post
    As an Obama supporter, I'm particularly interested to see if Muslims across the world—most of whom seem to currently hate America—would be willing to start on a new page with the US of A if Obama wins the election.)
    I am thinking yes...if

The US ends support for Israel

The US "gets out" of "Muslim contires". This would presumably include Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman, Iraq, Tadjikistan, Afghanistan .....yada, yada, yada

The US stops trying to steal Muslim natural resources (whatever that is)

The US stops being friends with the corrupt puppet-stooges in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan...yada yada yada

The US stops trying to export its culture to Muslim countires.

The US stops trying to foment sectarian strife which, of course, has no historical precedent and did not exist before George Bush was President.

We stop whinning about 9-11 and understand how it is a just recompense

We release all Muslim prisoners

We apologize for everytning wrong in the Muslim world

We impeach Cheny and Bush..or hand them over to the Hague War Crime Tribuanl

I am sure there is more...but that might open some dialogue.

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think if Obama wins the election he will get a quick crash course in foreign affairs that will shake up his worldview a bit. It does that for every nominee with lofty notions of handshaking and tea sipping problems away. I actually like Obama, and I would prefer him over Hillary any day of the week. However, in the present climate I think McCain can strike the balance between foreign affairs and domestic issues. The only problem I have with McCain is his immigration proposals.
    I completely agree. I think Clinton is going to be the Dem nominee still. I think Romney has been wounded pretty badly in two states where he put in a huge effort and that Huckabee will get plastered in liberal states but he could do very well in South Carolina. I think it could come down to McCain or Giuliani by the convention. This is such a wild Republican race it may be the winner will only be decided at the convention.

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

We apologize for everytning wrong in the Muslim world
    That might cover it. It is so obvious that many think that way.

tomtomsmom's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have a sneaky suspicion that this election is going get real ugly really quick.

Why would muslims like Obama more? Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding he was taught Islam as a child but says he isn't a muslim. Isn't that wrong? Kinda like a lot of black people have a problem with him because they say he is a sell out.

"The only thing neccesary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - E. Burke

"We have just enough religion to hate but not enough to love one another" -Jonathan Swift

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

yep, I agree, that is what I meant when I was saying a lot of talk and no walk.. It is always easy to say "read my lips, no more taxes" but it is a lot harder when the job is actually in front of you waiting to get done. As far as McCain goes, I dont like his immigration ideas either, but I dont know if popular opinion supports mine or not so I dont know if that effects his electability either. Again I will say though, I am just not sure what to make of him, it is like I cant figure out if he is sincere or not.... I dont know when he smiles he kind of looks like the grinch who stole christmas when he smiles reallll big and his face wrinkles all up

- Bertrand Russell

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that this election is going get real ugly really quick.

Why would muslims like Obama more? Correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding he was taught Islam as a child but says he isn't a muslim. Isn't that wrong? Kinda like a lot of black people have a problem with him because they say he is a sell out.
    I think Obama should stay in the senate for about another 5 to 10 years or so and then run again when he has some experience under his belt. He has a lot of good ideas, but I think they may be a bit far fetched. Only problem with that is with him out that leaves Hillary and John Edwards and Hillary would probably beat Edwards and I would probably bang my face into a wide steel apparatus until my brain hemorrhages and I die....(better than Hillary as president)

- Bertrand Russell

Amadeus85's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Christianity
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm not USA citizen and I dont really know who i would vote for if I could.Of course I would choose candidates among republicans.From moral issues Hilary Clinton and Barrack Obama won't get my voice.The same with Guliani (unless he changes his views). So we have Romney,McCain and Huckabee.But honeslty I dont know enough about them to decide whom I like most.But honestly I think that the new president of the world would be democrat this time.

This country is dying because of a lack of men, not a lack of programs.

- Corneliu Zelea Codreanu

18. Report bad ads?
    tomtomsmom's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI View Post
    I think Obama should stay in the senate for about another 5 to 10 years or so and then run again when he has some experience under his belt. He has a lot of good ideas, but I think they may be a bit far fetched. Only problem with that is with him out that leaves Hillary and John Edwards and Hillary would probably beat Edwards and I would probably bang my face into a wide steel apparatus until my brain hemorrhages and I die....(better than Hillary as president)
    LOL! I have to ask...........what is so wrong with Clinton?

I don't know who I will vote for. My primary vote isn't going to matter anyway though. I don't think I will waste my time with it. I will be voting in November based on the lesser of two evils.

"The only thing neccesary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - E. Burke

"We have just enough religion to hate but not enough to love one another" -Jonathan Swift

Ninth_Scribe's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I would prefer Bill Richardson because he has a very impressive track record, but he lacks Obama's fire and charisma. I thought about Hillary Clinton, being a woman myself, but I don't trust her - she changes her position too much.

I don't expect that the Muslims would ever trust the west again after what happened in Palestine. We said we would help them until they could stand on their own two feet, and then we gave away half their land to a people who have a very nasty history! Everything else is just after-math. Sigh.

All this over the stability of the oil industry - when we have the means to power our own country, but would rather not mess up our pristine environments. Even here, on Cape Cod, we have a power solution, but a group of home-owners don't want to have a wind turbine operation ruin their precious ocean views. Of course, most of those people are "summer-only" property owners who don't have to worry about the high cost of home heating here. Double sigh.

The Ninth Scribe

wwwislamicboardcom - U.S. Presidential Election 2008: Obama and Huckabee

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom View Post
    LOL! I have to ask...........what is so wrong with Clinton?
    to me she is just a foul, foul beast! She is a liar and a trash talking propaganda artist....I dont like her policies or politics. I dont believe anything she says, I dont believe she cares about our country, I think she is just wanting to fill her pockets one last time. The very site of her creates a sickening disturbance in my stomach If she gets elected I will leave my home in NC and live in another country for 4 years, and I am not even trying to be funny

- Bertrand Russell

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Ninth_Scribe View Post
    I would prefer Bill Richardson because he has a very impressive track record, but he lacks Obama's fire and charisma. I thought about Hillary Clinton, being a woman myself, but I don't trust her - she changes her position too much...
    Bill Richardson not only lacks "fire", I dont think he has a pilot light. He is a smart guy, but not very exciting. The funny thing is he has the toughest immigration position of all the Dems because he was the Governor of a border state.

Hillary is a very sophisticated, poll-driven candidate. She will say things to make the Democratic base happy during her primary campaign then sound more like a Republican during the general election. That is how the game is played.

brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti View Post
    Bill Richardson not only lacks "fire", I dont think he has a pilot light. He is a smart guy, but not very exciting. The funny thing is he has the toughest immigration position of all the Dems because he was the Governor of a border state.

Hillary is a very sophisticated, poll-driven candidate. She will say things to make the Democratic base happy during her primary campaign then sound more like a Republican during the general election. That is how the game is played.
    Did you see the video of her "crying" during some event in New Hampshire? It was very uncomfortable...it was like watching a robot imitate human emotion..

24. Report bad ads?
    north_malaysian's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

For us in Malaysia, Obama is a very interesting person as he has "Hussein" in his middle name and having Muslim ancestry. But as our own general election is getting near... nobody really bother about who would be the best candidate to represent Democrat. But I think Malaysian Muslims would love to see Democrat winning the election. For Malaysian Muslims, Republican Party is seen as a very bad party with intention to "colonize" muslim nations.

I think, the Indonesians would love to see Obama as the President as he has some Indonesian connections in his life.

Assalamualaykum... I am back!!

26. Hide
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! U.S. Presidential Election 2008: Obama and Huckabee Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. U.S. Presidential Election 2008: Obama and Huckabee