star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

non muslim is not a kaffir

Report bad ads?

I am a non muslim but I do not understand why muslims INSIST on calling me a kaffir, I do believe in god im from a roman catholic background, and I am INSULTED to be called a Kaffir by muslims.

If I beleive in god then I am not A kaffir, Only ALLAH can judge who is a kafir.

I am not A kaffir and no muslim is allowed to call me a kaffir since I believe in god.
    ffended:
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    azim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: non muslim is not a kaffir

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I can understand why you don't like being called a Khafir, although most Muslims use it as more of a colloquial term for anyone who isn't Muslim rather than the stricter lexical meaning.

I can't speak for every muslim, but I won't call you Khafir . Instead I'll call you a follower of 'the book' (the term given in the Quran for Christians and Jews is 'Ahlal-kitab' or 'People of the Book', which is similar to what the early Christians called themselves - "people of the way").

If anyone Muslims still insist on calling you a Khafir, simply remind them of what the Quran calls the Christians.

In closing, a verse from the Quran: -

"you will find the nearest in love to the believers (Muslims) those who say: "We are christians." " 5:82
    chat Quote

*charisma*'s Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

Kaafir is just a term used to call nonmuslims, thats it. For some reason people make it sound like its such a horrid word lol..

Reminds me of how some ppl call muslims terrorists when they are not subhanallah...

anyhoo you're right, only Allah can judge what is inside a person's heart and if that person wants to be a muslim and is choosing guidance he is not a kaffir unless he chooses and continues upon the wrong path.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!! btw
    hope u can find your stay here beneficial and learn a lot about Islam
    and do ask questions about what u dont understand so that we may clearify it for you inshallah (Allah willing)

Peace
    Be Careful who you call a Kafir

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Kafir

Kafir signifies one who denies or rejects the truth, i.e. who disbelieves in the message of the Prophets. Since the advent of Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), anyone who rejects his Message is a kafir.

http://www.soundvision.com/info/~glo...lay.asp?id=132

So if a person rejects the truth, doesn't accept islam as the true religion - their a 'rejector of faith' hence that person is a 'kafir'.

The truth involves believing in:

Allaah Almighty, the angels, the books, prophets, life after death, judgement day, qadr/destiny.
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    akulion's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well I just refer to people by name
    not by gender or religion lol

So u wont find me saying "hey u mr kafir" lool

ill just call you "let us see"
    chat Quote

*charisma*'s Avatar Super Moderator
    brightness_1
    #AlwaysInMyDuas
    I am a traveler, May Jannah be my home ameen
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Assalamu Alaikum

yea and most of us muslims do ^^
    Usually kaffir is also used in general rather pointing out a specific person.

fi aman Allah
    w'salaam

D e a t h

is the easiest
    of all things after it
    ; ;

the hardest
    of all things before it
    chat Quote

Believer5's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by let us see View Post
    I am a non muslim but I do not understand why muslims INSIST on calling me a kaffir, I do believe in god im from a roman catholic background, and I am INSULTED to be called a Kaffir by muslims.

If I beleive in god then I am not A kaffir, Only ALLAH can judge who is a kafir.

I am not A kaffir and no muslim is allowed to call me a kaffir since I believe in god.
    ffended:
    out of interest, why are u offended by the term kaffir unless you believe what the quran says about how astray the kafir is and the punishment... if you don't believe in that, then surely it's just another word?

anyway, since ur a christian, u have a special status in islam because you are following revealed scriptures... (though we believe they have been altered and are abrogated by the quran)

you are from the "people of the book" - kaffir is a term more suited to those that reject belief in God...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I think the muslims may call you a mushrik though... which is somebody that associates partners with God / worships something other than God...
    chat Quote

Umar001's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

In college my brothers told me off for calling a 'Christian' a kaffir, I didnt call him kaffir all the time, just sometimes, let me xplain why:

This boy, says he is interested about islam and wants to learn about it, we give him da'wa and he is a kinda friend of some of us. I was in the same position a year ago, a NON MUSLIM aka KAFIR who was learning with muslims, after a while I became COMPLACENT in my position, I ate with the muslims drank with the muslims took bus home with the muslims, I believed in most of the Islamic stuff, well All of it, but I did not take my shahada, IT WAS ONLY BECAUSE PEOPLE CALLED ME KAFIR THAT I REMEMBERED MY POSITION, And didnt become to complacent, this persistant rememberance of being a KAFFIR aka NON MUSLIM as such, in a sense reminded me and through that and other stuff I took my shahada!

NOW IF ONE IS A CHRISTIAN, HE SHOULD BE HONOURED TO BE CALLED A KAFIR BY MUSLIMS, IF A CHRISTIAN CALLS ME A KAFIR I WILL BE SO HAPPY, I WILL TELL HIM, PEEP MY NAME BROTHER IN ADAM, JESUS SLAVE OF GOD!!! A CHRISTIAN SHOULD REJOICE WHEN PEOPLE CALL HIM KAFIR, OR MAYBE ITS THAT CHRISTIAN'S FITRA COMING OUT REBELLING AGAINST BEING CALLED A KAFIR!

Here is a beautiful answer by Zakir Naik:

"Q. Why do Muslims abuse non-Muslims by calling them ‘Kafirs’?
    A. 1. ‘Kafir’ means one who rejects.

‘Kafir’ is derived from the word ‘kufr’, which means to conceal or to reject. In Islamic terminology, ‘Kafir’ means one who conceals or rejects the truth of Islam and a person who rejects Islam is in English called a ‘non-Muslim'.

2. If non-Muslims are hurt - they should accept Islam.

If any non-Muslim considers the word ‘Kafir’ i.e. ‘non-Muslim’ as an abuse, he may choose to accept Islam and then we will stop referring to him as or call him a kafir i.e. a non-Muslim. A Muslim does not get hurt when being called a non-Hindu or non-Jew. In the same way a Hindu should not feel hurt when called a non-Muslim."

P.s also read on the word kafir and so on, it aparently was something that farmers were called because they covered the ground or something, I think Yusuf Estes talks on this word!

P.s.s the rememberence of me being a kafir was not the reason fortaking my shahada but a catalyst which made the process faster. just had to clear that up.

And Sorry if I sound harsh, I dont intend to hurt anyone, but it amazes me that people should be hurt by such a word.

Peace be upon yall
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    Ghazi's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam

If you aint a practising muslim then your a kafir, a lot of people think just beacuse they have a muslim name and come from a muslim family that their muslim, the diffrences between a kafir and a muslim is salaat.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio
    format_quote Originally Posted by islam-truth View Post
    Salaam

If you aint a practising muslim then your a kafir, a lot of people think just beacuse they have a muslim name and come from a muslim family that their muslim, the diffrences between a kafir and a muslim is salaat.
    YOU ARE SOOO WRONG!!!

you don't make takfir of those who proclaim the shahada, irresepective of whether they practise or not!! You have to be very careful how you use the word kafir.

otherwise the word bounces back on the person who said it if the person they said it on is a muslim...

sorry if i sounded harsh in my post ... it's just that it causes fitna when muslims degrade other muslims with that term...
    Last edited by Ra`eesah; 01-15-2006 at 11:17 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by saufia View Post
    YOU ARE SOOO WRONG!!!

you don't make takfir of those who proclaim the shahada, irresepective of whether they practise or not!! You have to be very careful how you use the word kafir.

otherwise the word bounces back on the person who said it if the person they said it on is a muslim...
    Salaam

I get where you coming from sis, but what meaning has the shahada got if you aint fullfilling the 5 pillers or trying to whats that person going to say to allah on the day of judgment. For example some who claims to be a muslim but doesn't prey would you say that person is a muslim, just beacuse they utter the shahada doesn't make it enough you need to practise the salaat the fast the sawm etc.
    chat Quote

Umar001's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam

I get where you coming from sis, but what meaning has the shahada got if you aint fullfilling the 5 pillers or trying to whats that person going to say to allah on the day of judgment. For example some who claims to be a muslim but doesn't prey would you say that person is a muslim, just beacuse they utter the shahada doesn't make it enough you need to practise the salaat the fast the sawm etc.

Aight so if a person mises one prayer or a day of prayer, he is a kafir? is that what ya ment akhi, I have heard this statement from a hadeeth or something 'the difference between a muslim and a kafir is salaat' so since it was quoted I will ask when I miss a prayer, I become a kafir? if I do, does that mean I need to say shahada again?

Peace be upon yall
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

just beacuse they utter the shahada doesn't make it enough you need to practise the salaat the fast the sawm etc.
    http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...ID=216&CATE=13

Read the link above.

This isn't a matter of opinion... it's what ALL muslim scholars are united on... that you don't call somebody who proclaims shahada a kafir... it's not even a disputed issue so you're all alone in what you're saying...

http://www.gawaher.com/index.php?showtopic=1453

And like I said before, the word comes back on the person who said it if they turn out to be wrong...
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah View Post
    Aight so if a person mises one prayer or a day of prayer, he is a kafir? is that what ya ment akhi, I have heard this statement from a hadeeth or something 'the difference between a muslim and a kafir is salaat' so since it was quoted I will ask when I miss a prayer, I become a kafir? if I do, does that mean I need to say shahada again?

Peace be upon yall
    what is the definition of a kaffir?

it it somebody who missed a prayer or somebody who doesn't fast or even somebody who doesn'r practise fully?

no, the definition is somebody who rejects beleif in Allah and His Messenger!
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Salaam

I've seem to be misunderstood, I wasn't calling a nobody specific a kafir a was talking about characteristics of a muslim compared to a kafir, for example if someone dies who claimed to be muslim all their lives but yet didn't do salaat, fast, hajj, zakah out of arrogence as we have these type of people in the world, what would you diffrence is that person to a kafir.

P.S. I AGREE CALLING SOMEONE A KARFIR IS WRONG, I'M TALKING ABOUT THE CHARACTERISTICS OF PEOPLE.
    chat Quote

let us see's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Well I do not think muslims have anyright to call people who believe in god Kaffirs, only allah can judge who is the kaffir, and this muslims and non muslim included.

Also I have a problem with muslims who say they cannot non muslims as freinds, even though they are kind and treat non muslims with respect , it is RUDE not to take non muslims as freinds and helpers advisors ect.

I think this type of talking is what terroists say and is what starts wars.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by let us see View Post
    Well I do not think muslims have anyright to call people who believe in god Kaffirs, only allah can judge who is the kaffir, and this muslims and non muslim included.

Also I have a problem with muslims who say they cannot non muslims as freinds, even though they are kind and treat non muslims with respect , it is RUDE not to take non muslims as freinds and helpers advisors ect.

I think this type of talking is what terroists say and is what starts wars.
    Salaam

This is a verse 1 from surat MUTTAHANAH. THAT WILL ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Spread this Avatar!
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hey.

The believers are the people who believe in:

Allaah Almighty, the angels, the books, all the prophets, life after death, judgement day, qadr/destiny

The people who reject the above - they are the kafirs, so someone who rejects faith is a kafir i.e. the person who rejects the all of the above (the text in blue) therefore - if a person rejects all the prophets, this includes Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him and his beloved family.) then they are a kafir.

referring to your second question, we are allowed to be friends with non muslims.

you can read more about that misconception from this link:

http://www.load-islam.com/C/rebuttals/Misquoted/#19

one verse that easily refutes that idea is:

“Allah forbids you not with regard to those who fight you not for your faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them. For Allah loves those who are just. Allah only forbids you with regard to those who fight you for your faith, and drive you out of your homes and support others in driving you out, from turning to them for protection (or taking them as wali). Those who seek their protection they are indeed wrong- doers.” (Al-Mumtahinah: 8-9)

If you need more info. then please do ask.

Peace.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Tasneem's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thats true.
    A kafr is one that knows about islam and then reject it
    Inwardly and outwardly.
    We as muslims are told not to call ppl.kafir but there are certain signs
    That we are told to look for in a kafr.
    Like the one i told you above

SaLaMz

~!My hijab is my crown!~

~For My past will for ever be a part of my present and my future!~

I know i look diffrent--im going through something.Make dua for me
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! Be Careful who you call a Kafir Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Be Careful who you call a Kafir