× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Results 1 to 7 of 7 visibility 7384

Wajib to perform Umrah?

manaal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Lollypop's Mama
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Wajib to perform Umrah?

Report bad ads?

Assalamu Aleikum,

I moved to Jeddah around 3 months ago and have visited the Masjid al Haram twice with my husband. The first time i went in the state of Ihram to perform Umrah but could not do so as my baby (who was just 11 months at that time) got agitated when he saw the sea of people. So i stayed in one of the women's enclosure til my husband completed his rituals.

The second I went with no intention of Umrah and as before waited with my baby in one of the women's enclosures.

Now, my father tells me that it is wajib upon every Muslim who visits Makkah to perform Umrah - (but also said "check on that").

Is this view correct?
    Wajib to perform Umrah?

“Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious. " (16:125)

Rasulullah said, “Anyone who conceals (the defects of) a Muslim, Allah will conceal them (their defects) in this world and in the Hereafter.”
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Wajib to perform Umrah?

Bump. Someone help her.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Bump
    chat Quote

Faye's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I've never heard it before. But I thought Umrah was always Nafl, except when it was nazr ie.If I pass this test, I'll do an Umrah. Why don't you ask at a fatwa site?
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

wa'alaikum as'salaam,

You mentioned that first time you went in state of irham to do umrah. You might want to check the two rulings below similar to your situation and also consult a scholar on this matter.

She entered ihraam for ‘umrah, then she decided not to do it. What does she have to do? .

She entered ihraam for ‘umrah but was afraid of the locusts in the haram so she did not complete it

Is ‘Umrah obligatory or Sunnah?.

The correct one of the two scholarly views is that ‘Umrah is obligatory, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
    “And perform properly (i.e. all the ceremonies according to the ways of Prophet Muhammad), the Hajj and ‘Umrah (i.e. the pilgrimage to Makkah) for Allaah” [al-Baqarah 2:196]

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/39524

But is it wajib (obligatory) everytime you visit makkah?

I have not read or come across anything of such.

There is such a thing as Tawaaf al-qudoom (tawaaf of arrival) for Hajj. This is done by the pilgrim who has entered ihraam for Hajj and by the pilgrim who is doing Qiraan, i.e., joining ‘Umrah and Hajj, when he reaches the Ka’bah. I"m not sure if there is a similar thing also for those arriving into makkah. I do recall reading something similiar to it, not sure if it was just some dua you recite when you entered makkah or do the tawaf as well like you do 2 rakah sunnah'ul salam when you enter any masjid. Might want to check up on that, maybe someone here came across such reading also.
    Last edited by islamirama; 10-04-2008 at 09:11 PM.
    chat Quote

ilm.seeker's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    The Servant of Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Question :

What is the ruling on a person who performs `Umrah (lesser pilgrimage) before Hajj, although the former is only an act of Sunnah?

Ans:

The correct view of the two rulings of the scholars is that `Umrah is obligatory, because Allah states:Surah Al-Baqarah, 2: 196 And perform properly (i.e. all the ceremonies according to the ways of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him) the Hajj and ‘Umrah (i.e. the pilgrimage to Makkah) for Allâh. There are also other Hadiths narrated in this regard.

If a Muslim performs `Umrah before Hajj during the months of Hajj and performs Hajj in the same year, then he has performed Tamattu` Hajj (combining Hajj and `Umrah with a break in between) which is better than the Ifrad Hajj (performing Hajj only) and Qiran Hajj (combining Hajj and `Umrah simultaneously) for the one who has not brought a hadiy with him. It is reported that the Prophet (peace be upon him) told the Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet) who did not bring sacrificial animals: Make it `Umrah, for if I had formerly known what I came to know lately, I would not have driven the Hadiy with me and would have finished the state of Ihram along with the people when they finished it. ( Part No : 11, Page No: 318) May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

Permanent Committee for Scholarly Research and Ifta' Committee
    Deputy Chairman The Chairman
    Abdul-Razzaq `Afify `Abdul-`Aziz ibn `Abdullah ibn Baz
    Source: http://www.alifta.com/

Last edited by ilm.seeker; 04-28-2009 at 07:33 AM.
    chat Quote

manaal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Lollypop's Mama
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thanks so much for the replies. I hadn't visited this thread for some time. Came here to say that my dad had got it wrong. Umra is not compulsory every time ones visits the haram, but it is better to perform Tawaf.

It is sunnah to perform a tawaf of Ka'bah as a salutation to the Sacred Mosque upon entering it, unlike other mosques where on entering them a two rakah prayer is offered as a salutation to the mosque.

Does anyone know is this is the same as or different from Tawaf al Tahayya (Circumambulation of Greeting), or Tawafad Dakhul (Circumambulation of Entry).

According to this website, it is neither an essential condition nor an obligation. But the same website says that a tawaf of Ka'bah as a salutation is sunna.
    Last edited by manaal; 08-25-2010 at 04:03 AM.
    Wajib to perform Umrah?

“Invite (all) to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious. " (16:125)

Rasulullah said, “Anyone who conceals (the defects of) a Muslim, Allah will conceal them (their defects) in this world and in the Hereafter.”
    chat Quote

10. Hide
Hey there! Wajib to perform Umrah? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Wajib to perform Umrah?